The scientific community speaks out. Again.

GodlessMonk
atheist
GodlessMonk's picture
User is offlineOffline
The scientific community speaks out. Again.

Looks like scientists are starting to get a bit more pissed off.  I'm a little surprised that it's taken this long, considering the mentality they've been exposed to for a while in North America.

http://www.pacinst.org/climate/climate_statement.pdf

Apparently, the Washington Post, New York Times and The Wall Street Journal have all decided not to publish this letter. 

Robb

"The general opinion is not always the perfect truth..."
- Giordano Bruno

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
GodlessMonk wrote:Looks like

GodlessMonk wrote:

Looks like scientists are starting to get a bit more pissed off.  I'm a little surprised that it's taken this long, considering the mentality they've been exposed to for a while in North America.

http://www.pacinst.org/climate/climate_statement.pdf

Apparently, the Washington Post, New York Times and The Wall Street Journal have all decided not to publish this letter. 

Robb

I'm surprised they didn't get more people.  There are currently 2,100 members of the society.

Not that I know much, getting 250 might be a big deal.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
The issue as I see it, and

The issue as I see it, and what is preventing the populace (me included) from rallying behind the climate crisis, is that the science, and moreover, the integrity of *the scientists* who are on the payroll of those who will benefit financially from this crisis has been brought into legitimate question…Does this mean that Global warming isn’t real, let alone a threat to life on this planet?…. No….. but what it does mean is that we don’t have the information we should…. As everyone on This message Board is aware,,, real science doesn’t start with a conclusion, and then try to find evidence to support it… nor does it suppress evidence that may contradict the original premise…

And what we have as a result of “ClimateGate” is two political parties, whose contributory lobbies are in direct competition with one another … so we are put in the unenviable position of trying to sift through the rhetoric of FOX & MSNBC … wondering whether we should “Ignore it, because it’s a natural cycle…so Drill baby Drill!”…. or “RUN!!!!….Buy a hybrid And Give Al Gore all your money if you want to live!!!….

Reason suggests that neither panic, or sloth will be the appropriate response…

To offer some perspective, if you are inclined to be offended at the thought that the urgency of the global warming crisis could be exaggerated …try to think of it as like the Republican party did with “The war on terror”… is terrorism a real threat?… sure it is…did it warrant starting two wars, which conveniently made billions for the defense industry and Oil companies?… well… that would depend on you’re political party, and the news outlet you have an affinity for…

I am of the belief that the climate crisis is very real, however the money (tax dollars) that are being spent could be done so much more effectively…Not to mention that presently, the pattern seems to be spreading huge amounts of money around on projects that legislators know will not address the problem… I see no cohesive plan (lets face it, al Gore is a self indulgent douche) by the people who are asking the citizenry buy a Prius and pay a fortune for solar panels that will make their bath water luke warm…

I propose the offending scientists be discredited…and the remaining (non partisan) members of the scientific community decide what the best options for developing alternative energy are… *THEN* these ignominious dullards in congress can decide how to delegate our money…

Here is a Climate Gate article, from that pillar of journalistic integrity, The NY Post: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/when_scientists_lie_9BY2EXQGT2KsTIF4K9b21H

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Climate change is

Climate change is evident.

What it will actually result in is less so- to humans and the environment.  All we can say is that it's happening, and we know weather patterns will be shifting as a result; this could (and will likely) cause mass famine in some areas that once had food, and give rain (and thus food) to areas that previously hadn't; this could result in war, which could vary in intensity depending on exactly what regions are affected from virtually nothing to the next world war.

Weather is complicated; nobody knows for sure exactly how, or to what extent, the patterns will change, so it's a guess at this point.

Worst case scenarios are, however, frightening.