User is offlineOffline
Worth a scan at least

50 Voices of  Disbelief
Why We Are Atheists
Edited by
Russell Blackford and Udo Schüklenk
A John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Publication
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd

This collection makes it clear nothing new has been discussed here. In fact there appears to be nothing new under sun. Surprise! Surprise! I sure was expecting something new. </sarcasm>

It is interesting to see how many of our ideas are as varied as the religious experience.

Perhaps it is a good idea to study atheists as the exception rather than religion as the rule.

However in my scan before read I see more objections to the traditional Christian view of its god than I see to gods in general. One could hope the gap does not lead to a return to polytheism.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
a return to polytheism would

a return to polytheism would at least be a step up for humanity, though it's impossible.  urbanization, centralization, and globalization don't jive with polytheism.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
This one is not available at

This one is not available at my library, but I put in an interlibrary loan request since there are at least 250+ libraries that do have the book.  Thanks for the referral.

You guys really need to check out your local libraries.  I don't have room for the books I own now - I can't imagine how I could squeeze in another 1/2 dozen books - my shelves are already stacked 2-3 deep and one entire room is wall to wall books.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:This one is not

cj wrote:

This one is not available at my library, but I put in an interlibrary loan request since there are at least 250+ libraries that do have the book.  Thanks for the referral.

You guys really need to check out your local libraries.  I don't have room for the books I own now - I can't imagine how I could squeeze in another 1/2 dozen books - my shelves are already stacked 2-3 deep and one entire room is wall to wall books.

I had the same problem until my house burned down in December.  Now I just use my Kindle for everything except books I like so much I need to have them displayed on a bookshelf.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:cj

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

I had the same problem until my house burned down in December.  Now I just use my Kindle for everything except books I like so much I need to have them displayed on a bookshelf.

You have my most sincere sympathy.  Some of my books I bought when I was in high school - a very long time ago.  They have traveled with me from Arizona to Kansas to Hawaii back to Arizona to Washington and finally here in Oregon.  The first thing I unpack is enough kitchen stuff to fix dinner, the second thing I unpack is something to read.  I would be devastated to loose some of my old friends.

The Kindle only holds approx 1500 titles.  I might be able to get most of my library on there ---

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:mellestad wrote:cj

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

You have my most sincere sympathy.  Some of my books I bought when I was in high school - a very long time ago.  They have traveled with me from Arizona to Kansas to Hawaii back to Arizona to Washington and finally here in Oregon.  The first thing I unpack is enough kitchen stuff to fix dinner, the second thing I unpack is something to read.  I would be devastated to loose some of my old friends.

The Kindle only holds approx 1500 titles.  I might be able to get most of my library on there ---

Thanks, you are right, it was not a pleasant experience, although losing the books probably wasn't the worst thing it was certainly in the top ten.

The Kindle is really nice, but there is still something about paper books I like.  That, and the fact that used bookstores used to be one of my favorite places to peruse.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

chndlrjhnsn
chndlrjhnsn's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:a return to

iwbiek wrote:

a return to polytheism would at least be a step up for humanity...

I think less is more when it comes to gods. One is closer to zero.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
chndlrjhnsn wrote:iwbiek

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

not when the many gods are basically no more than human beings who are super-powerful and live a lot longer (not even necessarily forever). 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:chndlrjhnsn

iwbiek wrote:

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

not when the many gods are basically no more than human beings who are super-powerful and live a lot longer (not even necessarily forever). 

You mean like me?

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:

a return to polytheism would at least be a step up for humanity, though it's impossible.  urbanization, centralization, and globalization don't jive with polytheism.

Myself, I have no quite figured out why one swiss army knife god beats a bunch of specialized gods. The earliest form of Christianity in Catholicism had its specialized saints to take up the slack but it is not clear why Protestants had such an objection to them. Their approach to purity only lead to a multiplication of sects based upon how they wanted their god to specialize. 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

May 1983, house fire. Well over 3000 volumes as well as collections of magazines such as Astounding SF going back to the early 50s up in flames.

Symaptico.

It never goes away. It lessens with time. I only occasionally think about them now.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:mellestad

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

May 1983, house fire. Well over 3000 volumes as well as collections of magazines such as Astounding SF going back to the early 50s up in flames.

Symaptico.

It never goes away. It lessens with time. I only occasionally think about them now.

shudder  i sometimes start sweating over this possibility.  i'm glad we built our house, like most central european houses, out of concrete, brick, and tile.

--Hunter S. Thompson