EU proposes stripper ban

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
EU proposes stripper ban

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
How wonderfully droll. So

How wonderfully droll. So you're not a cyborg as some have speculated.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess this supports the theistic position that use of

Strippers is immoral and dangerous...

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spray paint and airplane

Spray paint and airplane glue is so much safer anyway, not nearly as flammable.

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
For a little background:I

For a little background:

I was talking with Brian37 on Skype this morning (as I regularly do), and he mentioned something about Ireland banning strip-clubs. So I did a Google search on something like "Ireland bans strippers" and that site was the top hit....

Once I read past the headline and told Brian, we both burst out laughing.

Thought I'd share the moment - Brian insisted.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
awful waffle.

Whatthedeuce wrote:

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was Iceland that recently

It was Iceland that recently banned strippers. They falsely claim that this is promoting feminism. Worse yet, some feminists back them and think that this is a blow for women's rights. I suppose taking away a woman's right to work in whatever industry she wants increases her rights in some way that I don't understand. I can't gamble unless I leave California or enter Native American sovereign land. Most flavored cigarettes were banned recently to 'help' black people. People everywhere need to lay off the bans on consensual activities. If I like blackjack and dudes in Iceland like lap dances, the government should but out of the matter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/25/iceland-most-feminist-country

And the worst part? These people feel like they have done a good dead when they institute a needless ban. They congratulate themselves for it.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whew..... Was worried there

Whew..... Was worried there for a minute

I didn't think I could handle another let down after they took the toys from my Happy Meals....

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
It should be obvious now

It should be obvious now that I started this thread as a carefully calculated ploy to make me seem 'human', to hide my essentially 'robotic' nature.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:If I like blackjack

Quote:
If I like blackjack and dudes in Iceland like lap dances, the government should but out of the matter.

The issue they rightfully bring up is one of sex trafficing. My objection isn't that they want to ban crime, my issue is that they mix apples and oranges and assume that by banning stripping they will get rid of crime.

They want to lump law abiding citizens in with criminals.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:It should

BobSpence1 wrote:

It should be obvious now that I started this thread as a carefully calculated ploy to make me seem 'human', to hide my essentially 'robotic' nature.

I thought that your joke was fairly funny.  You do have a dry sense of humor.  Do you like British comedy? 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:BobSpence1

RatDog wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I thought that your joke was fairly funny.  You do have a dry sense of humor.  Do you like British comedy? 

I do generally like British comedy. I am pretty sure we have historically had had a lot more British comedy shows broadcast here in Australia than have been seen in the US, so I grew up on them.

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Quote:If I

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
If I like blackjack and dudes in Iceland like lap dances, the government should but out of the matter.

The issue they rightfully bring up is one of sex trafficing. My objection isn't that they want to ban crime, my issue is that they mix apples and oranges and assume that by banning stripping they will get rid of crime.

They want to lump law abiding citizens in with criminals.

To be fair, sex trafficking is not the only issue they bring up.

Quote:

"It is not acceptable that women or people in general are a product to be sold."

I don't agree with them. It appears that they are equating stripping with slavery, but this appears to be the main argument.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.