amazing nat geo commercial

Zanarkand
Zanarkand's picture
User is offlineOffline
amazing nat geo commercial

has anyone seen this great commercial by national geographic? it further cements life is far more better with reason and rationality than blind faith.

If you are, you breath.
If you breath, you talk.
If you talk, you ask.
If you ask, you think.
If you think, you search.
If you search, you experience.
If you experience, you learn.
If you learn, you grow.
If you grow, you wish.
If you wish, you find.
If you find, you doubt.
If you doubt, you question.
If you question, you understand.
If you understand, you know.
If you know, you want to know more...
And if you want to know more, you are alive

Not only can water float a boat, It can sink it also.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
No I haven't, but I like (or

No I haven't, but I like (or have liked) the magazine better for many of these things.

Particularly the "12-y/o Afghan woman" and the "Bhopal Disaster" issue...

(I can't find the Bhopal issue cover, so I'll use this instead)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well personally, I don't

Well personally, I don't have television, so I can't see the commercials that are going around. But thanks for that one. I am sure that apart from the rare few like that, I am probably not missing much.

@kapkao, I read the follow up to the Afghan girl story a few weeks ago. The original photographer went back and found her to do a new story on. She finally made it back home. Then she got married to some dude who is mostly a farmer but will do whatever work he can that brings in a couple of dollars a day (yes, I mean that amount literally. There is not much actual money in that part of the world). She now has a house full of kids and as of the date when the magazine came out, some of them are big enough to help with the farming.

Mostly, one could say that life sucks over there but they are doing what they can and making their way honestly. Which is more than I can say for lots of people in the so called civilized world.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well personally, I don't have television, so I can't see the commercials that are going around. But thanks for that one. I am sure that apart from the rare few like that, I am probably not missing much.

@kapkao, I read the follow up to the Afghan girl story a few weeks ago. The original photographer went back and found her to do a new story on. She finally made it back home. Then she got married to some dude who is mostly a farmer but will do whatever work he can that brings in a couple of dollars a day (yes, I mean that amount literally. There is not much actual money in that part of the world). She now has a house full of kids and as of the date when the magazine came out, some of them are big enough to help with the farming.

I barely scratched the surface of her current situation and homelife, myself... her face has a good bit more pregnancy fat after bearing all those kids to term. Btw...

purchasing power parity: why $20 will by a lot more haircuts in Bhurma than it will in America. There's also "The Big Mac standard". Now compare America with the Scandinavian countries: $20 suddenly feels a lot lighter over there than it will here.

Quote:

Mostly, one could say that life sucks over there but they are doing what they can and making their way honestly. Which is more than I can say for lots of people in the so called civilized world.

Most of them. Thursday is "guy's night out" in Kabul, and their are (supposedly) quite a few teenagers involved.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)