99.9 per cent Certainty that Noah's Ark Found

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
99.9 per cent Certainty that Noah's Ark Found

'99.9pc certainty' of Noah's Ark discovery on Mount Ararat

CHINESE and Turkish evangelical explorers are almost certain they have found Noah's Ark - 4000m up a mountain in Turkey.

The team said it had recovered wooden specimens from a structure on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey that carbon dating proved was 4800 years old, around the same time the ark is said to have been afloat.

"It's not 100 per cent that it is Noah's Ark but we think it is 99.9 per cent that this is it," said Yeung Wing-cheung, a Hong Kong documentary filmmaker and member of the 15-strong team from Noah's Ark Ministries International.

The structure had several compartments, some with wooden beams, which were believed to house animals, he said.

The group of evangelical archaeologists ruled out an established human settlement on the grounds that one had never been found above 3500m in the vicinity, Mr Yeung said.

Local Turkish officials would ask the central government in Ankara to apply for UNESCO World Heritage status so the site could be protected while a major archaeological dig was conducted, he added.

The biblical story says God decided to flood the earth after seeing how corrupt it had become, and told Noah to build an ark and fill it with two of every animal species.

After the flood waters receded, the Bible says, the ark came to rest on a mountain. Many believe that Mount Ararat, the highest point in the region, is where the ark and her inhabitants came aground.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/pc-certainty-of-noahs-ark-discovery-on-mount-ararat/story-e6frfku0-1225858591328

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait a second...

over credulous "journalist wrote:
The team said it had recovered wooden specimens from a structure on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey that carbon dating proved was 4800 years old, around the same time the ark is said to have been afloat.

But wait a second... Isn't carbon dating TOTALLY bogus and the devil's favorite tool to test the faith of us sinful fallen creatures? I will never understand some people.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was under the most

I was under the most distinct impression it was in some private collector's warehouse, where no one would find it, ever.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
In point of fact Noah would have used

HMS Improbable for firewood as he struggled through that first long winter. Why, the very day he gets off the ark he's sparking up a barbecue to fill the nostrils of the lord with the sweet savour of burning flesh. Given the earth has been inundated for 12 months the only dry wood the world's most skillful adzeman could possibly have found would have been bits of the ship he sailed in on.

N.B. What possible use fortunate son's 'eternal substance' could have had for lightly seared chunks of thompson's gazelle is beyond me.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hum, those two countries eh,

Hum, those two countries eh, I wonder how much the pieces will be going for on ebay.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
pffffffffff 

pffffffffff 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I'll be waiting for that

I'll be waiting for that full dig with baited breath.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 4 pillars that used to

The 4 pillars that used to hold up the earth are in my back yard too. They are holding up a patio table now.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I was a kid, I saw

When I was a kid, I saw somewhere aerial photographs of Noah's ark, or better said, remains of a huge wooden ship buried in ground. But I have no idea who  photographed it, where and when. I only had read that Vatican or any other Church contributed nothing at all to the archeologic dig. Since then, I heard nothing about that and let it be without making an opinion.
But it's sure that many isolated cultures around the world have a legend of the great flood. Right now I can think of sumerian guy Utanapishtim and some south-american indian guy, who play the role of Noah for other cultures.

Atheistextremist wrote:

4800 years? That's not enough. It's enough for biblical purposes, but not for my sources. My information is that global flood (or global tsunami) occured 10-12 000 years ago. And my sources say nothing about wooden ark. So I'm very curious what it is, maybe the legendary cowshed of king Augeias, that Heracles had to clean of all the bull-shit? Smiling

Atheistextremist wrote:

N.B. What possible use fortunate son's 'eternal substance' could have had for lightly seared chunks of thompson's gazelle is beyond me.

That's a sumerian legend and their gods were almost human. They surely appreciated a roasted pair of the last dinosaurs. (guess why there are no dinosaurs now)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.co

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/04/27/2280442.aspx

'"You have to take everything out of context except the Bible to get something tolerable, and they're not even working much with the Bible," said Paul Zimansky, an archaeologist and historian at Stony Brook University who specializes in the Near East - and especially the region around Ararat, known as Urartu.

Cornell archaeologist Peter Ian Kuniholm, who has focused on Turkey for decades, was even more direct - saying that the reported find is a "crock."'

Opinions are mixed....

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
 hehe, my boyfriend's last

hehe, my boyfriend's last name is Yeung. And he's from Hong Kong too.  Anyway, even if the structure is Noah's ark, it still could not have housed every species on the earth. And there's no physical way the entire Earth could have been flooded. If the structure is indeed an ark, all that proves is that some delusional man thought god was talking to him and decided to build a giant boat. Big fucking deal.  

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This is my anti-ark equation

Number of species projected: 10,000,000

Number of hours taken for loading of ark: 24

Number of doors in ark: 2

Number of animal handlers: 8

Number of creatures loaded onto ark per second: 6944

Likelihood: Zero

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Number of species projected: 10,000,000

Number of hours taken for loading of ark: 24

Number of doors in ark: 2

Number of animal handlers: 8

Number of creatures loaded onto ark per second: 6944

Likelihood: Zero

Just 10 mill? I always thought the # was a little bigger than eight digits.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah that's right Kap

There are supposedly from 5-30 million animals on earth and about one billion species of bacteria and archeobacteria. Viruses and rotifers more still. Needless to say hundreds of millions of them are terrestrial and their diversity could not have been re-established in the 4000 years since the cheif scribe's lavatory pan overflowed and gave him inspiration for his riveting new chapter...

10 mill is just a nice easy number for my meagre brain to work with.

Zip (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Per Sec or Per Minute?

Those numbers are per Minute right?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
"evangelical explorers"Well

"evangelical explorers"

Well isn't that amazing ~ evangelical explorers making something found fit their beliefs. no bias at all  (sarcasm)

"evangelical archaeologists"

Really? I would like to how they manipulate and shove their beliefs into the process of an archaeology dig.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah-ha!

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

"evangelical explorers"

Well isn't that amazing ~ evangelical explorers making something found fit their beliefs. no bias at all  (sarcasm)

"evangelical archaeologists"

Really? I would like to how they manipulate and shove their beliefs into the process of an archaeology dig.

Renee, I'm grateful to you for re-validating my original supposition:

Kapkao wrote:

I was under the most distinct impression it was in some private collector's warehouse, where no one would find it, ever.

Thank you, and good day.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
So noah's ark, which has

So noah's ark, which has been found at least 6x now, or http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=asteroid-24-themis

Hmm, decisions decisions.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Penn & Teller & Shermer

My three favorite atheists all on the same video, with their take on the flood story.  That starts at 1:55 in,  but if you watch the whole 9  + miutes you get to hear Penn make his famous quote "read the bible,  we need more atheists and that'll do it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RV46fsmx6E 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Meh'

I'm going to stick to my guns/original suppositions and (somewhat boldly) declare that much of the pseudophilosophical garbage found in the OT is based off of legend, folklore, and "Tall Tales" passed down long enough throughout tribal generations to have lost their original meaning.

AKA a buncha bronze-age, Assyrian/Phoenician/Sumerian sailors saw an incoming tidal wave flooding their nearby port, and managed to load enough grazing animals, dogs, and possibly even domestic cats on to the nearest galley in order to escape the geological and oceanic activity frequently found in the Mediterranean area. They (likely) settled elsewhere in Mediterranean coastlines and perhaps even on the various European coastlines north of the Mediterranean.

The original circumstances of the 'legend' could have easily faded down to it's current form nowadays.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I  just heard today, I'm

I  just heard today, I'm pretty sure it was on The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, that there is bit of a local industry on and around that area manufacturing 'Ark' relics, artefacts, evidence, etc to sell to Ark tourists and investigators like these guys.

The genetic diversity we have now, as confirmed by DNA studies, completely demolishes any possibility of the human species having been descended from such a small gene pool mere thousands of years ago.

The Noah's Ark story is totally implausible/impossible from so many angles.

I personally find the whole scenario totally offensive, even as a fable.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I

BobSpence1 wrote:

What is offensive about it?

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce

Whatthedeuce wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I perhaps should have made clear I was referring to the Noah's Ark Fable itself.

Having most of life, human and otherwise, wiped out in such a wanton and crude and unnecessary way, and letting a family of not particularly reputable characters be the ancestors of future mankind?

Because the evil demon they call God got frustrated that he had stuffed up his design of his playthings yet again?

I have no problems with people dumb enough to take the fable seriously enough to travel across the world to find some trace of it being ripped off - the locals probably need the cash more than the tourists.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well, it's offensive because

Whatthedeuce wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

As the titanic adhominem goes, some angels come down to earth to screw some hot earth girls and when their children are born, they are naughty giants who carry on spraying the word "fuck yahweh" all over convenient flat surfaces using a mixture of ochre and spittle. In the face of this and other outrageous behaviour by these nephelim the lord god, instead of taking them down to the wood shed for a pants-down spanking, decides to destroy all life on the face of the earth.

Alleged god repents of his creation. But wait - he doesn't really repent of it. He wants to kill everything but he also wants the world's most skillful adzman, Noah Irwin, and his wife Terri, to gather up all life in a quintrex fishabout in order to save it - heady stuff. So, yeah. The whole thing is offensive, stupid and insulting. The flood story is just one of a russian doll of adhoms the fundy evangelisitc godly use to try to prove we not only deserve to be drowned and killed but also tormented eternally unless we believe jesus is our best friend and wants to invite us to his birthday party for saveloys and fairy bread.