Everything I say is True

TruthbringerOfT...
TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2010-04-26
User is offlineOffline
Everything I say is True

 

Cx = x is logically conceivable

g = A pink unicorn of Truthfulness


(1) u <--> ~u
(2) u-->~<>~u
(3) ~u-->~<>u
(4) (x)(Cx == <>x)
(5) ~(~Cu)
(6) Cu   UP
(7) Cu--><>u 
4; UI,Equiv,Simp
(8 ) <>u  
6,7; MP
(9) ~(~<>u)  8; DN
(10) ~(~u) 
 3,9; MT
(11) u  
10; DN
(12) Cu-->u 
6-11; CP
(13) C~u 
AP
(14) C~u--><>~u 
4; UI,Equiv,Simp
(15) <>~u 
13,14; MP
(16) ~(~<>~u)  
15; DN
(17) ~u  
2,16; MT
(18) C~u-->~u 
13-17; CP
(19) u-->~C~u 
18; Contra
(20) ~u-->~Cu  12; Contra
(21) ~Cu <--> ~C~u
1,19,20; CD
(22) ~C~u
  5,21; DS
(23) <>~u-->C~u  4; UI,Equiv,Simp
(24) ~(<>~u) 
 22,23; MT
(25) []u  24; Modal Equiv

There you have it.  Now you know that everything I say is true.  Ha, suck on that why don't you Smiling .


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
It's like Groundhog Day.

 

Can there really be so many chaps about with similar breezy characteristics or is this just a single nutbag playing a symphony on a one-to-one NAT?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


TruthbringerOfT...
TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2010-04-26
User is offlineOffline
No, everything I say is

No, everything I say is true.  The lies are the truest part of all.  Unicorns are real.  How dare you people not believe in unicorns.  They are all around us! can't you feel their presence?


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Everything I say is

Everything I say is false.

 

 

wait, time paradox! O.o

 

 


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
HOLD IT!

Quote:
Everything I say is false. 





wait, time paradox! O.o

 

That's not a Time Paradox, its just a normal one.

 

Wait, can there be 'normal' Paradoxes?

 

 

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Everything I say is false.

 

 

wait, time paradox! O.o

 

 

I'd like to pull a Kapkao and respond with a picture:

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Poe.

Poe.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
in the words of peter

in the words of peter griffon: "everything i say is a lie.  except that.  and that.  and that.  and that.  and that.  and that.  and that.  and that.  and that.  and that...."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Kavis wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Kavis wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Everything I say is false.

 

 

wait, time paradox! O.o

 

 

I'd like to pull a Kapkao and respond with a picture:


“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Since this thread is probably going

 

Nowhere sensible could I just throw this in courtesy of Kap's trashcan/ratman/flagg quotes.

Did anyone else hate the ending to The Stand? It had such a great beginning and mid-section and then, as the cast grew more and more vast, it went to shit.

I also have to point out that old woman on the porch with the special relationship with god really annoyed the hell out of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Nowhere sensible could I just throw this in courtesy of Kap's trashcan/ratman/flagg quotes.

Did anyone else hate the ending to The Stand? It had such a great beginning and mid-section and then, as the cast grew more and more vast, it went to shit.

I also have to point out that old woman on the porch with the special relationship with god really annoyed the hell out of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

well, for all its 1,200 pages, the book isn't any better.  this is definitely king's most blatantly theistic--if not christian--work.  i mean, the ending is nothing but a literal deus ex machina.  it's absurd, even as a literary device.  it's a pity because the original premise of a biological weapon run amok has so much promise.  i recall i was rather irritated when flagg entered the scene but i figured ok, it is king, after all.  a supernatural element doesn't bother me.  but then old-timey, churchy (and imo a bit racially demeaning) mother abigail comes in and the whole thing literally becomes a religious war.

honestly, i was rooting for flagg by the end.  his society might have been hedonistic, but it was building technology back from the ground up, while mother abigail's boulder community were a bunch of self-righteous religious fanatics whose "god-given" mission was to wipe everyone else off the face of the earth.  as far as i'm concerned, you could subtract mother abigail and add sara palin.

i remember i actually rolled my eyes while reading the part (can't remember if it's in the film) where the deaf kid tells mother abigail he doesn't believe in god (out of pure bitterness and anger, of course) and she laughs and says, "it doesn't matter.  he believes in you!"  i know king meant that to be profound but it was the most trite load of shit ever.  i had to check the cover again to make sure i wasn't reading max lucado.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek

iwbiek wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Nowhere sensible could I just throw this in courtesy of Kap's trashcan/ratman/flagg quotes.

Did anyone else hate the ending to The Stand? It had such a great beginning and mid-section and then, as the cast grew more and more vast, it went to shit.

I also have to point out that old woman on the porch with the special relationship with god really annoyed the hell out of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

well, for all its 1,200 pages, the book isn't any better.  this is definitely king's most blatantly theistic--if not christian--work.  i mean, the ending is nothing but a literal deus ex machina.  it's absurd, even as a literary device.  it's a pity because the original premise of a biological weapon run amok has so much promise.  i recall i was rather irritated when flagg entered the scene but i figured ok, it is king, after all.  a supernatural element doesn't bother me.  but then old-timey, churchy (and imo a bit racially demeaning) mother abigail comes in and the whole thing literally becomes a religious war.

honestly, i was rooting for flagg by the end.  his society might have been hedonistic, but it was building technology back from the ground up, while mother abigail's boulder community were a bunch of self-righteous religious fanatics whose "god-given" mission was to wipe everyone else off the face of the earth.  as far as i'm concerned, you could subtract mother abigail and add sara palin.

i remember i actually rolled my eyes while reading the part (can't remember if it's in the film) where the deaf kid tells mother abigail he doesn't believe in god (out of pure bitterness and anger, of course) and she laughs and says, "it doesn't matter.  he believes in you!"  i know king meant that to be profound but it was the most trite load of shit ever.  i had to check the cover again to make sure i wasn't reading max lucado.

 

I made it about 3/4 of the way through The Stand, and I'm not a guy who leaves books unfinished.  I just set it down one day and never built up the energy to pick it up again.

 

AE is right, the beginning and middle were pretty neat, then it was like I hit a giant wall of apathy.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
 

Does he have this sword ><

 


TruthbringerOfT...
TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2010-04-26
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Does he have

robj101 wrote:

Does he have this sword ><

 

No, I have the sword of a million indisputable truths! and It's plus 10!


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
"BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!" "THE DARK MAN'S COMING!"

He's coming for you AE! The man with no face!

(and shit if I can't get a screenie of Kareem Abdul-Jabaar shouting that into Larry Underwood's Face! )

 

Atheistextremist wrote:
Nowhere sensible could I just throw this in courtesy of Kap's trashcan/ratman/flagg quotes.

Did anyone else hate the ending to The Stand? It had such a great beginning and mid-section and then, as the cast grew more and more vast, it went to shit.

Fuckin' DEAD ON. x umpteenth power

The end of The Stand miniseries was one of the biggest letdowns I have ever seen on a chrome box. That doesn't immediately invalidate the suspense value of Parts 1 & 2.

The problem with the miniseries is that King didn't graft his blockbuster novel all that consistently to Network Television. He left huge chunks of the book out of the program, and what was left was two suspenseful, action-packed parts (1 & 4), and then two in the middle that do little except procrastinate and (seemingly) stall the inevitable bombing of Las Vegas.

At the age of 9, I watched the family's VHSes of 1 & 2 (keep in mind a short attention span at this age) and I liked them. Plague kills everyone off, Ed Harris commits suicide + "Yates was right!", a friendly theocentric black lady invites damn near everyone to her shack in Nebraska using REM sleep (!), "Nick says he doesn't believe in God" + "(chuckle) That's okay Nick! He... believe in you!", some whacko schizy pyromaniac starts burning and blowing shit up, a Pop Rock singer falls in with a dreamy drug-addicted socialite,  a dorky disco-loving outcasted prodigy finds himself hopelessly in love with a stuck up hottie from Maine, a black gangster thief  and a cohort literally bump into the same Pop Rock Singer then "forgives" him "this time", a sex-crazed teenaged sociopath stalks the guys walking around her neighborhood, a semi-autistic guy sets up mannequins in his 'deserted' town...

so on and so forth

And then it just goes to hell in a handbasket. Literally but also metaphorically as well


(allow me to torment you with these words)

AE wrote:
I also have to point out that old woman on the porch with the special relationship with god really annoyed the hell out of me.

Mother Abigail wrote:
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I always appreciated how

I always appreciated how King managed to spread Flagg around, he was in several unrelated books, like one of my simple favorites, -the eyes of the dragon-. It almost made it seem like all the settings in his books were related, perhaps on different timelines, but Flagg was always present (the devil I assume).

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
Posts: 1388
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:iwbiek

mellestad wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Nowhere sensible could I just throw this in courtesy of Kap's trashcan/ratman/flagg quotes.

Did anyone else hate the ending to The Stand? It had such a great beginning and mid-section and then, as the cast grew more and more vast, it went to shit.

I also have to point out that old woman on the porch with the special relationship with god really annoyed the hell out of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

well, for all its 1,200 pages, the book isn't any better.  this is definitely king's most blatantly theistic--if not christian--work.  i mean, the ending is nothing but a literal deus ex machina.  it's absurd, even as a literary device.  it's a pity because the original premise of a biological weapon run amok has so much promise.  i recall i was rather irritated when flagg entered the scene but i figured ok, it is king, after all.  a supernatural element doesn't bother me.  but then old-timey, churchy (and imo a bit racially demeaning) mother abigail comes in and the whole thing literally becomes a religious war.

honestly, i was rooting for flagg by the end.  his society might have been hedonistic, but it was building technology back from the ground up, while mother abigail's boulder community were a bunch of self-righteous religious fanatics whose "god-given" mission was to wipe everyone else off the face of the earth.  as far as i'm concerned, you could subtract mother abigail and add sara palin.

i remember i actually rolled my eyes while reading the part (can't remember if it's in the film) where the deaf kid tells mother abigail he doesn't believe in god (out of pure bitterness and anger, of course) and she laughs and says, "it doesn't matter.  he believes in you!"  i know king meant that to be profound but it was the most trite load of shit ever.  i had to check the cover again to make sure i wasn't reading max lucado.

 

I made it about 3/4 of the way through The Stand, and I'm not a guy who leaves books unfinished.  I just set it down one day and never built up the energy to pick it up again.

 

AE is right, the beginning and middle were pretty neat, then it was like I hit a giant wall of apathy.

Loved the book  ~ read it 7 times.

Was able to get past the 'god' shit, I just like post-tragedy/apocalyptic reading....

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

mellestad wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Nowhere sensible could I just throw this in courtesy of Kap's trashcan/ratman/flagg quotes.

Did anyone else hate the ending to The Stand? It had such a great beginning and mid-section and then, as the cast grew more and more vast, it went to shit.

I also have to point out that old woman on the porch with the special relationship with god really annoyed the hell out of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

well, for all its 1,200 pages, the book isn't any better.  this is definitely king's most blatantly theistic--if not christian--work.  i mean, the ending is nothing but a literal deus ex machina.  it's absurd, even as a literary device.  it's a pity because the original premise of a biological weapon run amok has so much promise.  i recall i was rather irritated when flagg entered the scene but i figured ok, it is king, after all.  a supernatural element doesn't bother me.  but then old-timey, churchy (and imo a bit racially demeaning) mother abigail comes in and the whole thing literally becomes a religious war.

honestly, i was rooting for flagg by the end.  his society might have been hedonistic, but it was building technology back from the ground up, while mother abigail's boulder community were a bunch of self-righteous religious fanatics whose "god-given" mission was to wipe everyone else off the face of the earth.  as far as i'm concerned, you could subtract mother abigail and add sara palin.

i remember i actually rolled my eyes while reading the part (can't remember if it's in the film) where the deaf kid tells mother abigail he doesn't believe in god (out of pure bitterness and anger, of course) and she laughs and says, "it doesn't matter.  he believes in you!"  i know king meant that to be profound but it was the most trite load of shit ever.  i had to check the cover again to make sure i wasn't reading max lucado.

 

I made it about 3/4 of the way through The Stand, and I'm not a guy who leaves books unfinished.  I just set it down one day and never built up the energy to pick it up again.

 

AE is right, the beginning and middle were pretty neat, then it was like I hit a giant wall of apathy.

Loved the book  ~ read it 7 times.

Was able to get past the 'god' shit, I just like post-tragedy/apocalyptic reading....

 

I love the genre too, so it is it pretty strange that I didn't at least finish it.  When I read it, the god shit wouldn't have bothered me, since I wasn't a god-hating rabid new atheist yet Sticking out tongue

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I always

robj101 wrote:

I always appreciated how King managed to spread Flagg around, he was in several unrelated books, like one of my simple favorites, -the eyes of the dragon-. It almost made it seem like all the settings in his books were related, perhaps on different timelines, but Flagg was always present (the devil I assume).

have you not read the dark tower series?  because that's precisely how it is, although king decided to do that after the fact, and thus there's not a lot of consistency.  he didn't decide to connect everything together until after dark tower IV and his subsequent accident.  honestly, i'd love to see what the dark tower would have been like had king not been hit by that van.  imo, it all went downhill after wizard and glass

he even revised and expanded the gunslinger to bring it more into line with the later shift in focus in the dark tower series, and the first version was a helluva lot better.  for example, in the first version of the gunslinger, roland is more of an amoral killing machine who kills a barmaid he was sleeping with in a firefight because he can't stop his hands in time.  in the revised version, she begs him to kill her because she has seen what life after death is like and it drove her crazy.  it's kind of like when george lucas changed episode IV to make greedo shoot first: it just ruined the depth of han's character.

also, in the original dark tower setup, the man in black or walter is clearly flagg's servant, not flagg himself.  for some reason, perhaps for the purposes of simplification, king later merges them into one character, and it just makes things confusing.  also, it's quite clear in the stand that flagg is some sort of powerful, immortal demon (not the devil--mother abigail makes that clear in the book, though in the movie they imply he is), but as the dark tower progresses, we learn flagg is nothing more than a human who gained immortality and magic by joining the crimson king.  also, in the final dark tower book, flagg just plain goes out like a bitch.  it's so disappointing.

it really is a shame that king brought in the crimson king at all.  the crimson king has no personality and is just a bland, stock ultimate evil villain that we don't even see until the last few pages of dark tower VII.  and he goes out like a bitch too!  flagg, on the other hand, had so much promise and personality.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
 I forced myself to sit

 I forced myself to sit down and read the Dark Tower saga over a weekend. That shit is fucking painful; I'm not a big time hater of King (I actually did like The Stand, but just because I like almost anything with a post-apocalyptic vibe, and Eyes of the Dragon is somewhere in my top 100 books), but the dude was just churning out crap at some points in his life - the era where he was writing the Dark Tower books was one of those points. Flagg is a really tired plot device, but you kind of just get used to it after a while. It's sort of like the chicken mascot in Family Guy that Peter has to fight once every season.

 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:robj101 wrote:I

iwbiek wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I always appreciated how King managed to spread Flagg around, he was in several unrelated books, like one of my simple favorites, -the eyes of the dragon-. It almost made it seem like all the settings in his books were related, perhaps on different timelines, but Flagg was always present (the devil I assume).

have you not read the dark tower series?  because that's precisely how it is, although king decided to do that after the fact, and thus there's not a lot of consistency.  he didn't decide to connect everything together until after dark tower IV and his subsequent accident.  honestly, i'd love to see what the dark tower would have been like had king not been hit by that van.  imo, it all went downhill after wizard and glass

he even revised and expanded the gunslinger to bring it more into line with the later shift in focus in the dark tower series, and the first version was a helluva lot better.  for example, in the first version of the gunslinger, roland is more of an amoral killing machine who kills a barmaid he was sleeping with in a firefight because he can't stop his hands in time.  in the revised version, she begs him to kill her because she has seen what life after death is like and it drove her crazy.  it's kind of like when george lucas changed episode IV to make greedo shoot first: it just ruined the depth of han's character.

also, in the original dark tower setup, the man in black or walter is clearly flagg's servant, not flagg himself.  for some reason, perhaps for the purposes of simplification, king later merges them into one character, and it just makes things confusing.  also, it's quite clear in the stand that flagg is some sort of powerful, immortal demon (not the devil--mother abigail makes that clear in the book, though in the movie they imply he is), but as the dark tower progresses, we learn flagg is nothing more than a human who gained immortality and magic by joining the crimson king.  also, in the final dark tower book, flagg just plain goes out like a bitch.  it's so disappointing.

it really is a shame that king brought in the crimson king at all.  the crimson king has no personality and is just a bland, stock ultimate evil villain that we don't even see until the last few pages of dark tower VII.  and he goes out like a bitch too!  flagg, on the other hand, had so much promise and personality.

I read the first two, it's been a long time.

The last king book I read was gift, I have never bought a book by King, It was called "a 52 buick" or something like that I forget, it wasn't that great.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote: The last

robj101 wrote:

 

The last king book I read was gift, I have never bought a book by King, It was called "a 52 buick" or something like that I forget, it wasn't that great.

from a buick 8, which looks like a tired redux of christine, which i haven't read either. 

on a related note, unlike most people, i did rather enjoy king's collaborations with peter straub, the talisman and black house.  however, by the time he got to black house twenty years later of course king had to confuse things in a convoluted effort to fit the territories into the dark tower universe, which really pissed me off.  if i were peter straub i would have been like, "oh for fuck's sake, king, can we please leave your goddamn gunslinger shit out of this?  this is my book too, ya know."  who knows, maybe straub was intimidated by king's considerably greater clout.

in general, i don't like books which are tied together into the same universe unless said universe is extremely well planned and it was the author's intention from the beginning.  tolkien, for example, was like a swiss watchmaker when it came to constructing middle earth, so nothing conflicts and everything is easy to follow.  king, on the other hand, didn't decide to do this until the mid-'90s, and so he tried to do all this retroactive shit with 'salem's lot and the stand and the talisman, and it's just one big confusing mess that distracts many readers from otherwise tightly constructed plots.  i think the only author who ever retroactively placed some of his earlier books into a single universe with his later books with any degree of success was asimov. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
imo, the greatest thing

imo, the greatest thing about the movie of the stand was the fact that it not only had molly ringwald, but also featured her in a brief melancholy montage with a hit '80s song ("don't dream it's over" ).  it was like stephen king meets the breakfast club.  doesn't that just sum up where americans would feel a hole in their hearts if they lost everything?  i loved every second of it.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I'll have to go buy the mini-series

 

and check that out.I agree with Renee et al, the post apoc genre is great. I loved 28 days Later but I confess to disliking the Omega Man.

It'd be nice if some one did a strong version of Day of the Triffids. There was that movie Blindness recently but although it's in my house I can't bring myself to watch it.

Maybe the whole post apoc is part of the human urge to be pushed passed the limits of survival and to hang on, eating walnuts, until the ice age ends.

It's a human thing to delight in extreme survival stories - makes sense from an evolutionary point of view tho not from a christian. God people should be hurling themselves into the abyss to be with the one they luurrrrve so dear....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
80s pop music makes Kapkao a sad panda

UGH... 80s pop music. MMMMmmmMMMmGGGRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFF! RRoooooooooooooffffffffff! *gag* *gag*

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:robj101

iwbiek wrote:

robj101 wrote:

 

The last king book I read was gift, I have never bought a book by King, It was called "a 52 buick" or something like that I forget, it wasn't that great.

from a buick 8, which looks like a tired redux of christine, which i haven't read either. 

on a related note, unlike most people, i did rather enjoy king's collaborations with peter straub, the talisman and black house.  however, by the time he got to black house twenty years later of course king had to confuse things in a convoluted effort to fit the territories into the dark tower universe, which really pissed me off.  if i were peter straub i would have been like, "oh for fuck's sake, king, can we please leave your goddamn gunslinger shit out of this?  this is my book too, ya know."  who knows, maybe straub was intimidated by king's considerably greater clout.

in general, i don't like books which are tied together into the same universe unless said universe is extremely well planned and it was the author's intention from the beginning.  tolkien, for example, was like a swiss watchmaker when it came to constructing middle earth, so nothing conflicts and everything is easy to follow.  king, on the other hand, didn't decide to do this until the mid-'90s, and so he tried to do all this retroactive shit with 'salem's lot and the stand and the talisman, and it's just one big confusing mess that distracts many readers from otherwise tightly constructed plots.  i think the only author who ever retroactively placed some of his earlier books into a single universe with his later books with any degree of success was asimov. 

I think the most successful world sharing series would be the dragonlance series, of which I got in a lot of trouble for in school as a teen.

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
pay no attention to Kapkao, he's shit-stirring again >:}

TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness wrote:

No, everything I say is true.  The lies are the truest part of all.  Unicorns are real.  How dare you people not believe in unicorns.  They are all around us! can't you feel their presence?

EVERYZHING ZHIS GUY SAYS, IS ZHE TRUZH! HEIL TRUTHBRINGER!

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


TruthbringerOfT...
TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2010-04-26
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness wrote:

No, everything I say is true.  The lies are the truest part of all.  Unicorns are real.  How dare you people not believe in unicorns.  They are all around us! can't you feel their presence?

EVERYZHING ZHIS GUY SAYS, IS ZHE TRUZH! HEIL TRUTHBRINGER!

 

You are finally starting to get it!  Maybe there is hope for you yet.  Just say yes to Truth Truthful Truthiness.  I guarantee you your mind will never be the same!