Hello

Moralknave
Moralknave's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Thinking is rare in my circle of friends    so this place looks like a great place to be!

i became  an atheist in early 2008. Before then I was one of those christians who secretly believed it to be fake, and found church to be a snake oil show full of crash test dummies. lol

I had to be real with myself so I would not feel as if life was a cheesey sit-com I had a bit part in....

I'm looking forward to checking this place out!

Stephen King"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window." -Stephen King

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Moralknave.

Good to meet you. Yes, it's odd sitting in church listening to the preacher talking 16th century godspeak while a voice in your head chants: "Bullllshiiiiit, bullllshiiiit....."

Then there are the hymns. I grew up on the scottish psalter and some brethren thing full of blood and guts and unlikely love with horseshit gathered round its head sublime.

I think it's time we accepted that the power of the brain to deceive us is greater than our ability to perceive some form of the truth.

The bravest thing I ever said in relation to any of this stuff was: "I don't know."

But try convincing the assassins of jesus this is not clear evidence of the presence of satan...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Moralknave
Moralknave's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Good to meet you. Yes, it's odd sitting in church listening to the preacher talking 16th century godspeak while a voice in your head chants: "Bullllshiiiiit, bullllshiiiit....."

Then there are the hymns. I grew up on the scottish psalter and some brethren thing full of blood and guts and unlikely love with horseshit gathered round its head sublime.

I think it's time we accepted that the power of the brain to deceive us is greater than our ability to perceive some form of the truth.

The bravest thing I ever said in relation to any of this stuff was: "I don't know."

But try convincing the assassins of jesus this is not clear evidence of the presence of satan...

Nice to meet you! I have a friend who lives in Scotland, she is actually one of the coolest people I have met on the internet.`

I thought I knew....I was pretty certain I knew I was on the "right" path, but it felt fake, so I tried the fake it til you make it approach.

Then I thought hmmm, I am being fake here....I wonder how many of the people around me are in the same boat....then I said wait, fuck this shit what the hell am i doing? I'm conformed! They got me where they want me!    So I quit it and since then I have felt l freer to be myself.

Stephen King"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window." -Stephen King

Moralknave
Moralknave's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Welcome

butterbattle wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, nice to meet you!  Your avatar is cool.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Rationality does make a person feel better. I noticed you quote Stephan King in your signiture, I'm not a fan but I did grow up across the river from him. Now I live near Toronto. How about you?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Rationality does make a person feel better. I noticed you quote Stephan King in your signiture, I'm not a fan but I did grow up across the river from him. Now I live near Toronto. How about you?

i'd really like to know where stephen king stands on theism.  i consider myself a literate person but stephen king is one of my "guilty pleasures."  i used to argue with english majors in college (and i often had a greater knowledge of both british and american literature than them) that stephen king was the greatest living american writer because he captured americans better than any other living american writer, not to mention that in the strict sense of the craft, king is a fucking great writer.  it drove them nuts, the fucking snobs.

but it seems that almost all of king's oeuvre takes place in a judeo-christian theistic universe (the stand, the dark tower series, 'salem's lots, etc.) and while he clearly has no love for fanatics (carrie and cell come to mind), it seems to me that he has christian sympathies.

of course, my guess is he has no clearly formulated position, but whether or not one is a theist is a relatively simple question.

thoughts?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iwbiek

I would agree with your analyses of his writting skills, but with one proviso, he captures Maine charactors extremely well not nessasarily other Americans. The way Steinbeck captured Okies very well. I grew up in Brewer Maine King was from across the Penobscot River in Bangor, he still lives there.  King and I actually worked in the same Industrial Laundry back in 1975, I lasted two weeks there King lasted longer.  I didn't know this untill years later when I was reading an article on King, then I vagely remembered co-workers telling me about a UMO kid (colledge grad) who insisted being called Stephen-not-Steve and bragged about his degrees, I made a mental note to avoid the a--hole because I'd run into that type before over-educated-minnimun-wage earners. They are boreing and they don't work any differently then the grade school drop out working beside them.

As  for his religious beliefs, I have no idea. But a lot of Mainers claim to believe but don't bother with church outside of weddings and funerals. They are NOT likely to say "I'm atheist" they are more likely to say "I'm not a church goer"and leave it at that.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! 

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome to the site! Its good to hear you have ceased living what you consider a lie. Always a breath of fresh air, huh? Hope to see you in the discussions.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Jeffrick

iwbiek wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

i'd really like to know where stephen king stands on theism.  i consider myself a literate person but stephen king is one of my "guilty pleasures."  i used to argue with english majors in college (and i often had a greater knowledge of both british and american literature than them) that stephen king was the greatest living american writer because he captured americans better than any other living american writer, not to mention that in the strict sense of the craft, king is a fucking great writer.  it drove them nuts, the fucking snobs.

but it seems that almost all of king's oeuvre takes place in a judeo-christian theistic universe (the stand, the dark tower series, 'salem's lots, etc.) and while he clearly has no love for fanatics (carrie and cell come to mind), it seems to me that he has christian sympathies.

of course, my guess is he has no clearly formulated position, but whether or not one is a theist is a relatively simple question.

thoughts?

Love King!

Here is a transcript of an interview from NBC back in 2007    http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3872705

"TAPPER:

Religious characters don't fare very well in your books, I've noticed. Whether it's Mrs. Carmody or others. You are not a religious man?

KING:
I am a religious man. Well, I'm a spiritual man. I certainly believe in God, and I meditate on a regular basis, and try to stay in touch with the God of my understanding. But I haven't been through the doors of the church, I don't think since my mother-in-law died. And I certainly don't have anything against churches per se. I'm not a vampire type, when somebody shows me the cross or something like that. But organized religion gives me the creeps." 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome Moralknave!

Welcome Moralknave!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/