Quick!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quick!

Everybody plug your cellphones into the CMS experiment.

http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/

Failure? Maybe. They got to half power. It's day 2 now, early morning there so let's have one more UMPH! of patience.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does any of this come in a

Does any of this come in a written format?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Kap

There's twitter text here on the CERN website.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/

It's not comprehensive but it gives you the key facts. It's up and running they're scheduled to go to 7 soon, experiments are running and collisions are being detected.

What fun. This is such core stuff. I know Paisley will be glued to this lunge for the truth behind the callowness of the material.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
From what I am seeing, they

From what I am seeing, they are at 7TEV and they are getting 100 collisions per second.  What does that mean?  It seems to depend on which person is speaking.  One guy said that they only expected to get 1 collision per second, another guy said the expected number would be 60 collisions per second.

Oh BTW, someone is going to do this so let's just get it out of the way:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
It isn't so much collisions

It isn't so much collisions per second as it is collisions happening where they can be measured fully. i.e. with the proper frames of reference.

Remember this is the highest power SO FAR. Each beam was 3.5TeV. When they get to 7TeV each some things change and THAT is what I'm fascinated by.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.