The explanation

youngnatheist
User is offlineOffline
The explanation

Yes. I am 11 years old. But i am Old at heart. And all this God and Jesus crap...wow..

i wasn't raised in a very "Holy" environment. Never went to church.

But if there WAS a god. Why would we have to "Praise" him to show we "Loved him"?

I thought "God/Jesus" could read your MIND..know what was going to happen before it did.

WHY WOULD WE HAVE TO PRAISE HIM THEN?!

if he knew we loved him already,,why make us praise.

what good does that do for him?

And really.,,,

"Who is christ?He is for You!"

if Christ is for me, then, why does he threaten,,,,if i sin i burn in hell.

Yes cause that sounds like he is for me.

God sounds like a Dick.

my answer to all this shit..

Zeitgeist

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you are an 11 year old from a non theistic family

You sound like you're in the same boat I was in when I was your age. Just remember, keep questioning and keep demanding evidence for claims people try and get you to believe in. From your posts, besides the grammatical errors that go hand in hand with being 11, you sound like a very bright kid. KEEP UP THE SEARCH FOR REASON!

I may have posted this video before on another post, I can't remember, but I think it's a fitting song for a young budding rationalist to keep in mind when it comes to the tactics of the soul-peddlers.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/come-join-us-lyrics-bad-religion.html

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi YoungAtheist

How's it going? Yeah - all those are good questions and a lot of people here wrestle with them. The phrase "God is love" is a total crock.

More like "Love me or you're dead". Sounds like a threat to me.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:More

Atheistextremist wrote:

This is the god of the Old Testament. He got mad and killed people left and right, but at least their suffering ended with death. The god of the New Testament kicks it up a notch and says "Love me or I will torture you forever".

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol - yeah.

KSMB wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

This is the god of the Old Testament. He got mad and killed people left and right, but at least their suffering ended with death. The god of the New Testament kicks it up a notch and says "Love me or I will torture you forever".

Bu a lot of new age christians do believe it'll be just death or the absence of god rather than the incineration. I tend to agree with you that a literal interpretation is warranted.

Jesus threatens with the lake of fire in the book of Mark, so there must be one or he is full or crap.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:KSMB

Atheistextremist wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Bu a lot of new age christians do believe it'll be just death or the absence of god rather than the incineration. I tend to agree with you that a literal interpretation is warranted.

Jesus threatens with the lake of fire in the book of Mark, so there must be one or he is full or crap.

I never understood the hippie justification for hell being anything but literal.  It certainly mentions fire more than once in the Bible.  I think hell being a non-literal concept is something theists came up with when society became uncomfortable with worshiping a torture-god.

Oh, and welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
youngnatheist wrote:Yes. I

youngnatheist wrote:

Yes. I am 11 years old. But i am Old at heart. And all this God and Jesus crap...wow..

But if there WAS a god. Why would we have to "Praise" him to show we "Loved him"?

I thought "God/Jesus" could read your MIND..know what was going to happen before it did.

And really.,,,

God sounds like a Dick.

Zeitgeist

Those are all good questions as to rejecting the concept of appeal to authority and certainly make the god character look like an abusive bully, but are not the core reason to accept or reject a claim.

Evidence is the only reason to accept or reject a claim. The best tool humans have is scientific method through replication and falsification and independent peer review.

I think on top of these moral absurdities you mention, you need to also think about the concept of an invisible brain with magical super powers. You need to know what DNA is in that it takes two sets to make a baby so therefore the virgin birth claim is bogus. You need to know what rigor mortis is to know that human flesh cannot survive 3 days of death.

BUT Christianity is not the only religion to claim invisible super brains that reside everywhere and nowhere at the same time. When these claims come along I think of the biology pictures of human brains and deep space pictures and juxtaposed they are completely dissimilar.

You bring up very valid reasons to reject blind following of authority. But this case could be made against Kim Jong Ill and Hitler as well. But the more important thing to do about god claims is to insist that if someone is going to make such claims(by any label) is to focus on replication and falsification and peer review.

There is much more to rejecting a god claim than simple emotional reasons. Scientific scrutiny is far more important. Having said that, I DO agree with rejecting an "authority" be it a claimed god, or political leader, who says "bow to me or I will beat the crap out of you".

Western civil societies governments don't operate like that. Our laws are by the people and by consent and when we don't like certain laws, we work to appeal to our leaders to change them. If we don't like our leaders, we vote them out of office. The God's of Abraham are not gods you can vote out of office.

Just some advise. Thanks for coming here.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
when i was around 11 my

when i was around 11 my faith was strongly challenged by perhaps the greatest anti-christian song ever written: "god of emptiness" by morbid angel.  the lyrics were poignant and, furthermore, to a kid watching headbangers ball when he was supposed to be in bed it fucking rocked.

anybody remember that song?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I never

mellestad wrote:

I never understood the hippie justification for hell being anything but literal.  It certainly mentions fire more than once in the Bible.  I think hell being a non-literal concept is something theists came up with when society became uncomfortable with worshiping a torture-god.

Oh, and welcome!

What's a"hippie justification"?  I used to be a hippie - sort of - but that was really long ago.  Most of us are all old farts now.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:mellestad wrote:I

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Oh, and welcome!

What's a"hippie justification"?  I used to be a hippie - sort of - but that was really long ago.  Most of us are all old farts now.

The idea that hell is something other than a really horribly, violent place.  Simply a lack of peace and love, instead of a lake of fiery torment.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:cj

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Oh, and welcome!

The idea that hell is something other than a really horribly, violent place.  Simply a lack of peace and love, instead of a lake of fiery torment.

There is nothing wrong with peace and love.  Humpf, I guess you just can't get away from your upbringing, can you?  Where are my granny glasses and love beads?

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:mellestad wrote:cj

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Oh, and welcome!

There is nothing wrong with peace and love.  Humpf, I guess you just can't get away from your upbringing, can you?  Where are my granny glasses and love beads?

I wish the Bible said, "Hell is the state of mind when a person is not at peace with God."  That is what many modern, liberal theists will claim (or something similar).  But the Bible doesn't say that, it says 'lake of fire'.  I don't understand how they arrived at a non-literal translation.  I understand *why* (because the idea of hell is barbaric and they knew it) they did, just not *how* they did.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I wish the

mellestad wrote:

I wish the Bible said, "Hell is the state of mind when a person is not at peace with God."  That is what many modern, liberal theists will claim (or something similar).  But the Bible doesn't say that, it says 'lake of fire'.  I don't understand how they arrived at a non-literal translation.  I understand *why* (because the idea of hell is barbaric and they knew it) they did, just not *how* they did.

Like most of the rest of the '60s, a lot of self-delusion in combination with a lot of weed.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, you're only 11.Welcome

Wow, you're only 11.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
We got a bright one here.

We got a bright one here.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most message board suppliers

Most message board suppliers demand that you have to be at least 13 to register.

This may be in violation of the law.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Most message

Marquis wrote:

Most message board suppliers demand that you have to be at least 13 to register.

yes, bc of bullshit "protect children's privacy" (or words to that effect) laws in the US. If you're under 13, you can't talk about anything, ANYWHERE on the net.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Marquis

Kapkao wrote:

Marquis wrote:

yes, bc of bullshit "protect children's privacy" (or words to that effect) laws in the US.

Oh, I don't know that such a law is *bullshit*, Mr. Kapkao.

But then again, I probably think like the parent that I am in this issue. There are many unsavoury characters stalking the internet and I do think that it is necessary to protect (our) children against such harmful influences, until they have developed a moderately reasonable ability to be critical towards strangers bearing gifts. Age 13 is still very young, in my opinion, but at that age most have at the very least developed a budding tendency to be rebellious and say FU, whether this be to their parents or to strangers.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK!EVERYONE THAT FEELS LIKE

OK!

EVERYONE THAT FEELS LIKE PREYING ON YOUNGNATHEIST RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND..... YOUR OTHER RIGHT HAND! ok...

ANY FEMALE CHILDLOVER THAT FEELS LIKE TRAVELING BACK IN TIME TO 1994 AND PREYING ON ATHIEST LITTLE ME, RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND/SAY "AYE". hmmmm... (c'mon! there's gotta be a few takers in the crowd!)

That's all I have to say about this subject, Marquis de Sade!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:OK!EVERYONE

Kapkao wrote:

OK!

EVERYONE THAT FEELS LIKE PREYING ON YOUNGNATHEIST RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND..... YOUR OTHER RIGHT HAND! ok...

ANY FEMALE CHILDLOVER THAT FEELS LIKE TRAVELING BACK IN TIME TO 1994 AND PREYING ON ATHIEST LITTLE ME, RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND/SAY "AYE". hmmmm... (c'mon! there's gotta be a few takers in the crowd!)

1994??  little you???  so you are around the same age as me!  maybe even younger!  just how old are you?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(naw, ya think?!) You're about 1-2 years younger than me IIRC

iwbiek wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

OK!

1994??  little you???  so you are around the same age as me!  maybe even younger!  just how old are you?

26. But for the sake of humor let's add 61 to that and pretend I'm 87!

Whaddya think of that, ya little whippersnapper?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
youngnatheist wrote:Yes. I

youngnatheist wrote:

And really.,,,

God sounds like a Dick.

Zeitgeist

I can see you are wise beyond your years. The answer to all these questions:

Control and $$$

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen