A-somewhat-more-relevant question for RRS:Mania (the psychological condition, not the deity)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
A-somewhat-more-relevant question for RRS:Mania (the psychological condition, not the deity)

Do any of you have some limited degree of experience with bipolar disorder? I'm looking for a means to cope with my mania (not the fun, less dangerous 'hypo version', either)

I could really, really use some help in this matter... any help/advice at would be much appreciated.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, there are lots of

Well, there are lots of places that you can go for a non-medical approach (you having stated that you don't want to use medication). Finding one in your city would be difficult as I don't even know where you are. Let me know where to look and I will see what I can dig up.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit sucks, I'm not special, I WILL DEAL WITH IT, JAH?

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, there are lots of places that you can go for a non-medical approach (you having stated that you don't want to use medication). Finding one in your city would be difficult as I don't even know where you are. Let me know where to look and I will see what I can dig up.

University of Alabama, Birmingham. Anywhere around Hoover, Al. Non-medical approaches are preferrable, but not necessary.

Oh, and Answers: you are WAY cooler than me, 8 times a week, twice on sundays... you get the picture.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
This may have just been a

This may have just been a false alarm on my part. Hard to tell. Taking about 1/2 of my SSRI antidepressants seems to have resolved the issue (temporarily, I suspect)

I'm back to being rational and level-headed... hopefully for good. Then again, I suspect this is just a short-term fix as I'm most likely at the peak of my 'mood bell curve'. (That's the only way I know of to describe the months-long "ebb and flow" of bipolar disorder.)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
YAY ME.

I've gone from feeling top-doggish in early-to-mid March to feeling like I'm in a fucking ditch in May. Woe is me.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I am really sorry to

Well, I am really sorry to hear that.  Talk to your doctor.  Perhaps he will be willing to give your paxil a bump for a couple of weeks.

BTW: My database did not pan out.  It seems that Alabama is in the stone age as far as those services go.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, I am really sorry to hear that.  Talk to your doctor.  Perhaps he will be willing to give your paxil a bump for a couple of weeks.

Meh... I'm already on 2 antidepressants... the problem isn't medicine now or that I feel bad necessarily just that I'm feeling... unusually sluggish and more disinterested than usual.

Quote:

BTW: My database did not pan out.  It seems that Alabama is in the stone age as far as those services go.

Duh. 

(Hopefully not dipping too deeply in politics with this) The government in my state is more mis-managed and corrupt than some South American Govs. The lowest common (cultural) denominator here appears to lie between "Don't worry too much if it requires actual thought and willpower" and "Ignorance is bliss hyuk hyuk"

chndlrjhnsn
chndlrjhnsn's picture
User is offlineOffline
You could channel your mania

You could channel your mania into some form of creative expression.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
What mania?

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

You could channel your mania into some form of creative expression.

I have none atm Sad

I also STRONGLY suspect that my psychological abnormalities (many of which are recent and related to the side effects of non-psychiatric meds) explain the great deal of kindness and sympathetic behavior that I have observed from many RRS cores recently.

It may also be related to the fact that I admitted to having trouble "mainstreaming" in late childhood due to a personality trait* that renders me a loner. Hehehe... "Who cares, right?!?!"... 'Mainstream' is over-rated, anyhow. It's wasted compassion and sympathy on behalf of RRS cores, either way. (I don't dwell too long on past misfortunes, and neither should they)

*It's called "schizoid" even though it isn't schizophrenia and has little to do with it. Schizoid was the faulty term coined in 1904 to describe "introverted in the extreme".

Lastly... it may also be because I'm not being the same trouble-making pest I was back in early April. Naturally, that will probably change again in a few months.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
addendum:

OTOH, "Atheist Activism" is about the closest thing to a clique I have ever even dreamed of having, so maybe the compassion and kindness is justified.

edit; I always omit a few words for some reason.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: 

Kapkao wrote:

Lastly... it may also be because I'm not being the same trouble-making pest I was back in early April. Naturally, that will probably change again in a few months.

I hope not, I like the (sort of)sane Kapkao.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Kapkao

mellestad wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Nah, I just like Kapkao.

At least you know it won't last, Kap.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Folks...

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Nah, I just like Kapkao.

At least you know it won't last, Kap.

...this is why CJ RAWKS!

She's realistic and has her head firmly planted in practicality rather than being an easily frightened child (Not saying that you are Melle, but still... she's the wise owl of RRS... save for maybe Jake. Maybe.)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Feel better soon.

Feel better soon.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm outta the ditch, now! (have been for 4-5 days)

cj wrote:

Feel better soon.

I need to figure out to provoke CJ's "bugspray" response...

(aka my hypomania has returned.)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj wrote: 

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Feel better soon.

I need to figure out to provoke CJ's "bugspray" response...

(aka my hypomania has returned.)

Got your funny bone, did it?  Boy, being around you could make a person dizzy.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.