Sculpture of Crucifixion

Aubrizzley
User is offlineOffline
Sculpture of Crucifixion

Last semester at my school, I was in an arts/ design class.

We had an assignment to work with clay, to make what ever it was that we wanted. I had this friend in the class who made a crucifixion scene out of clay (Mainly because the person he was making fell into two pieces accidently, which I found kind of symbolic and funny.)

We had to present to our class, and a tiny 6th grade girl raised her hand and started whining about how offended she was by this scene. That "I'm a Christian, and you having a Jesus cut in half is offensive to me!"
HOW IGNORANT ARE PEOPLE THESE DAYS?

"Oh, no daughter, everything about God's life was always happy and nothing bad ever happened."

I don't mind if she is, in fact, of a religious nature, but PLEASE! Some one EDUCATE her! 

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here, here!

Welcome to the forums Aubrizzley.  If the little shit is going to be whinny about it then yell back at  her the truth "There's no such thing as god".

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
What does any kid at that

What does any kid at that age know about labels other than what their parents sell them?

That kid is a fan of Jesus just like I was a fan of Santa, warm fuzzies are easy to sell to a sponge.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Aubrizzley
User is offlineOffline
No kidding

SERIOUSLY!

That's just the beginning too...

It's like they're preparing her... for the same future as them... lying to her children.... 

Although, it is understandable, I believed in this "God" fellow when I was little.... I stopped around 4th grade hahaha...

I'm in 9th grade now. So many non-lied to years under my belt for as long as I've been alive.....

And I should have said that! (To the above commenter^) Eye-wink except my teacher is apparently quite religious too... 

Which is scary to think about o.o

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, that is what you get

Well, that is what you get for allowing people to whine about things that concern them.

[satire]When we let blacks scream about people because they “hate black people”, well, that just encourages the idea that it is OK to scream about hating black people.

When we let gays blare on about how people hate gays, well what the fuck did you expect?[/satire]

[somewhat serious]What the fuck do people expect? If you make it permissible for people to piss and moan about stuff that is unimportant then it will become an acceptable tactic to piss and moan about stuff that does not really matter[/somewhat serious]

Really though, you have to let people do this shit. Sure, it is shit but it has a point and purpose. The assholes who dragged some black dude to death in Texas are going to die at the hands of the state. Perhaps they already have but I refuse to google the matter. What about the dudes who killed Andrew Shepard? I don't know if that was a death penalty case but they will certainly get what is coming to them for what they did.

Seriously though, there is a first amendment issue on this one. Dude messed up on the sculpture and chickie has a problem with it? Well, chickie has a right to express her opinion. I don't have to like it but I do have to accept that her right is the same as my right to express a contrary opinion.

In my world, she is full of shit. Lots of people are full of shit. However, I do happen to live in a world where my right to call her out on her shit is connected with her right to be full of shit.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I'm glad she was

Personally, I'm glad she was offended. We need more offense.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, that is what you get for allowing people to whine about things that concern them.

[satire]When we let blacks scream about people because they “hate black people”, well, that just encourages the idea that it is OK to scream about hating black people.

When we let gays blare on about how people hate gays, well what the fuck did you expect?[/satire]

[somewhat serious]What the fuck do people expect? If you make it permissible for people to piss and moan about stuff that is unimportant then it will become an acceptable tactic to piss and moan about stuff that does not really matter[/somewhat serious]

Really though, you have to let people do this shit. Sure, it is shit but it has a point and purpose. The assholes who dragged some black dude to death in Texas are going to die at the hands of the state. Perhaps they already have but I refuse to google the matter. What about the dudes who killed Andrew Shepard? I don't know if that was a death penalty case but they will certainly get what is coming to them for what they did.

Seriously though, there is a first amendment issue on this one. Dude messed up on the sculpture and chickie has a problem with it? Well, chickie has a right to express her opinion. I don't have to like it but I do have to accept that her right is the same as my right to express a contrary opinion.

In my world, she is full of shit. Lots of people are full of shit. However, I do happen to live in a world where my right to call her out on her shit is connected with her right to be full of shit.

This fits my personal philosophy about freedom of speech to a tee.  Freedom of speech isn't tested when you speak, it is tested when you hear something that completely riles you up, but you let them speak anyway. 

I would rather allow this to happen and have people protesting against things I hold dear than to have the complete opposite: Tiananmen Square.

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aubrizzley wrote:Last

Aubrizzley wrote:

Last semester at my school, I was in an arts/ design class.

We had an assignment to work with clay, to make what ever it was that we wanted. I had this friend in the class who made a crucifixion scene out of clay (Mainly because the person he was making fell into two pieces accidently, which I found kind of symbolic and funny.)

We had to present to our class, and a tiny 6th grade girl raised her hand and started whining about how offended she was by this scene. That "I'm a Christian, and you having a Jesus cut in half is offensive to me!"
HOW IGNORANT ARE PEOPLE THESE DAYS?

"Oh, no daughter, everything about God's life was always happy and nothing bad ever happened."

I don't mind if she is, in fact, of a religious nature, but PLEASE! Some one EDUCATE her! 

the best strategy with children of any age, in my experience as a high school teacher, is to counter such remarks with "why?"  you'd be surprised how often that stops them dead in their tracks.  they really have never stopped to think about that before, and more than likely you've just done them a great service with that one word.

of course, i'm speaking as someone who teaches high school in slovakia rather than in my native united states, and i will go ahead and say that, yes, the stereotype is all too often true: european public schoolchildren are better educated, better behaved, and both far more openminded and far more skeptical than their american counterparts.  so that's my caveat: "why" works wonders with slovak kids but may only bring out anti-intellectual fury back home, especially if you're in the bible belt.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Aubrizzley
User is offlineOffline
The teacher

The teacher did ask her, "Why?"

And that is when she explained that depicting Jesus in half was the offensive part. 

You're all talking about letting her whine and bitch and moan but what ---YOU'RE MISSING--- is that it is because she is incredibly uneducated. I go to a private school, full of intellectuals. I'd kind of like to let that flow. Then again, I really hate 6th graders anyway. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

I am going to schedule an appointment  with my optometrist and attend church on Sunday. You are a republican aren't you?

YOU CANT GO AROUND DISAGREEING WITH PEOPLE AND SHOWING COMPASSION! WHAT KIND OF ATHEIST ARE YOU!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Brian, I am the kind of

Well Brian, I am the kind of republican who understands that letting people whine about weird shit that I don't understand is part of my freedom of speech.

In other news, the Southern Poverty Law Center gets their collective panties in a bunch every time the KKK passes out leaflets. I am fine with that. However, if we were to suppress the KKK, well, they would not go away. They would just operate underground where we could not see them or what they are doing.

Personally, I think that leaflets are not quite up there with random black dudes hanging from trees.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Well Brian, I am the kind of republican who understands that letting people whine about weird shit that I don't understand is part of my freedom of speech.

In other news, the Southern Poverty Law Center gets their collective panties in a bunch every time the KKK passes out leaflets. I am fine with that. However, if we were to suppress the KKK, well, they would not go away. They would just operate underground where we could not see them or what they are doing.

Personally, I think that leaflets are not quite up there with random black dudes hanging from trees.

You are sooo disappointing me. Why can't you do the right thing like a good republican and do what the politically correct left does and demand submission?