My Criticism of Deism

D33PPURPLE
atheist
User is offlineOffline
My Criticism of Deism

Deists claim that God plays no practical role in the lives of human beings. Deists claim that proof of God can be found through nature and the sciences. However, God isn't necessary to explain anything naturally, and it makes no sense to disregard God up to the Big Bang or to some other event that is of yet unexplained. Why? Quite simply because at this point, any explanation goes. If anything, attributing the beginning to God seals up any other inquiries to the matter. The Deist thus faces the dilemma: If God isn't necessary to explain anything, why believe in him? Or if God is necessary to explain nature, why claim otherwise?

That aside, we determine that the only practical role that God can play in a human life is in the supernatural. Now, since Deists claim that God doesn't interfere while we are alive, it follows that the only possible intervention or action from God can come in some sort of afterlife.

If this is so, then we come to the following complications:

Let us suppose that the Deist God rewards those that did good and punishes those that did evil. But wait a minute, if God has never revealed himself to humanity, and never will, how can a human possibly determine what this God think is good or evil? What may seem reasonable to a human may be but pure inanity to a God. Therefore, any search for what this God rewards will be marred by extreme uncertainties. The search will be futile and always inconclusive. In short, God plays no meaningful role in man's quest for moral answers.

But if the Deist claims that God doesn't reward anyone in specific in the afterlife, or treats everyone equally, regardless of beliefs, why bother believing in a God that doesn't play any meaningful role in your life OR in explaining natural phenomena?

No matter how you slice it, Atheism is still the most practical and rational choice.

"The Chaplain had mastered, in a moment of divine intuition, the handy technique of protective rationalization and he was exhilarated by his discovery. It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. Just no Character."

"He...had gone down in flames...on the seventh day, while God was resting"

"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You should be taken outside and shot!"

D33PPURPLE
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I should add that when I

I should add that when I said that the Big Bang was unexplained, I meant what came before the Big Bang. Sorry about that Sticking out tongue

"The Chaplain had mastered, in a moment of divine intuition, the handy technique of protective rationalization and he was exhilarated by his discovery. It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. Just no Character."

"He...had gone down in flames...on the seventh day, while God was resting"

"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You should be taken outside and shot!"

Anonymous418 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
creator

Deists base their conclusion on the assumption that everything that exists and that we know the origin of, has a creator, and so logically the creation of the universe should apply as well.

I think that's their main argument for believing that God exists