noah

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
noah

This is more a fun post, so I wasn't really sure where to put it.

Did Noah walk to australia to get kangaroos and emu's etc? Or did he make a "little" arc and go to the different continents to pick these animals up?

How did he catch rattlesnakes and black mamba's, was he like chuck norris, just a bad ass like that?

Maybe it was like pangea then, and he didn't have to cross water? The flood somehow seperated all the land masses in 40 days?

I have questions!

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
God did it.

God did it.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:This is more a

robj101 wrote:

Did Noah walk to australia to get kangaroos and emu's etc? Or did he make a "little" arc and go to the different continents to pick these animals up?

How did he catch rattlesnakes and black mamba's, was he like chuck norris, just a bad ass like that?

Maybe it was like pangea then, and he didn't have to cross water? The flood somehow seperated all the land masses in 40 days?

I have questions!

Your thinking to far into it, being all logical and all.  Ofcourse god brought all the animals to noah.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something to add to the fun

Number of species on the planet: 10,000,000

Number of hours Noah took to get all the animals aboard the ark: 24

Number of animals per second the Noah family wrangled: 6944

Variables: There were 2 pairs of unclean animals, 7 pairs of clean animals.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I have questions!

Your thinking to far into it, being all logical and all.  Ofcourse god brought all the animals to noah.

I'll have to reread it, I thought he told Noah to gather them up himself. Maybe he built the arc for him too come to think of it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nope Robj, you are fairly correct

First god tells Noah to build HMS Improbable....the largest wooden ship ever built in the history of the world thus far (450ft x 75ft). There's a problem with wooden ships bigger than about 350 feet that relates to forces called wracking (it causes them to break in half) but this is god's dinghy so no fucken worries. In further news about the ark's lame-arsed design it has a single ventilation window 1 qubit square (18 inches by 18 inches). Cool. 

Genesis 6:14 Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.

God tells Noah to do the gathering of critters himself in Gen 6:19.

Genesis 6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

But god changes his mind and tells Noah the creatures will "come unto thee" in 6:20.

Genesis 6:20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

Maybe the animals turn up themselves after trekking across continents or swimming across oceans and Noah just has to get all ten million of them aboard in one day. Sounds easy.

Sadly, god forgets to mention flora and seeing that green shit can't live underwater and can't have survived on the meagre light coming through an 18-inch square window, it must be concluded that god created plants all over again once the hydrosphere miraculously lost about a quarter of the planet's entire weight in water. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:This is more a

robj101 wrote:

I have questions!

Obviously, Pangea existed, and all the continental drift we see evidence for happened much faster than those dumb scientists think. We know radioactive decay happened much faster then, NewScientist spoke to a YEC Earth Scientist who assured them this must be so, so what's the problem? (sorry, can't dig up a link just now, but they had a special issue on various 'fringe' scientists, not all absurd like that guy, but those with more minority views and theories)

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
When I was in school, they

When I was in school, they taught all this stuff as Truth, but they didn't even try to give excuses for why it was possible, they just fed it to us and expected everyone to swallow it.

I wonder how many people still believe in the literal flood story?  Some things in the Bible, like God Himself, I can understand how you rationalize it.  But something like the flood and Noah's Ark just don't make sense on any level...it makes me wish I could go back and talk to my 'science' teachers and ask them these questions.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

LOL.

How did they all fit anyways?

What about really large animals like dinosaurs, mastodons, etc? Perhaps, they drowned in the flood because Noah forgot to take them? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:LOL.How

butterbattle wrote:

LOL.

How did they all fit anyways?

What about really large animals like dinosaurs, mastodons, etc? Perhaps, they drowned in the flood because Noah forgot to take them? 

According to the Creation Museum in Kentucky that is exactly what happened.  Noah didn't take the now extinct species and so they drowned.  Which contradicts the bible, after all, the big kahuna did tell Noah ALL, not some, of the animals.

Would have been fun to see T. Rex interacting with all the critters, now wouldn't it?  Jurassic Park with a vengeance.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

I don't understand how you know how long it took to get all the animals aboard.
Plus, we don't know if there were the same amount of animals on earth at the time.

Those are all... faith based arguments you're placing there. Just saying...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Plus, we don't know if there were the same amount of animals on earth at the time.

If you are a literalist, like a flood believer....

1. There has to be at *least* as many animals on the ark when it sailed as there are today because there is no mechanism to create new animals, especially not in < 10,000 years.

2. Plants don't survive under water for that length of time.

3. Freshwater fish would not survive the water mixing.  If there was enough rain to dilute the oceans, the saltwater fish would die.

A flood believer just needs to plug their ears and say they believe it was all a giant miracle, and then God covered up all the evidence.  Trying to make it 'ratiobal' is a losing proposition.  The story is silly.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:TheNickZema

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

1. There has to be at *least* as many animals on the ark when it sailed as there are today because there is no mechanism to create new animals, especially not in < 10,000 years.

3. Freshwater fish would not survive the water mixing.  If there was enough rain to dilute the oceans, the saltwater fish would die.

A flood believer just needs to plug their ears and say they believe it was all a giant miracle, and then God covered up all the evidence.  Trying to make it 'ratiobal' is a losing proposition.  The story is silly.

Actually, we do have far more species of animals, due to cross breeding..

The plants would have died, but the seeds are still there, and there is more than a chance that they can sprout again. A seed can be underwater for a very very long time, it is protected by it's shell, as long as it doesn't sprout, water will not get inside.

The salt water areas wouldn't have been FULLY diluted by fresh water because there wasn't enough time for it to spread out to every area and
completly over compensate for the salt. thus, salt and freshwater would have mixed, but not in every area, nor would it have been a complete mixture.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote:mellestad

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

The plants would have died, but the seeds are still there, and there is more than a chance that they can sprout again. A seed can be underwater for a very very long time, it is protected by it's shell, as long as it doesn't sprout, water will not get inside.

The salt water areas wouldn't have been FULLY diluted by fresh water because there wasn't enough time for it to spread out to every area and
completly over compensate for the salt. thus, salt and freshwater would have mixed, but not in every area, nor would it have been a complete mixture.

1. Lol.  Usually 'species' means things that can only breed within their own pool.  Insects, mammals, birds, reptiles...there are lots of animals.

2. Every plant in existence has seeds that can be submerged in salt water for 40 days?  Bullshit.  Plant reproduction is more complicated than that for many species.  

3. So with a mile of water over the surface of the earth, the oceans and lakes would magically not mix?  Bullshit.

The problems with the flood are endless.  Wait, I'll think of a new problem....got one.  Ok, so what happens to those plants that need insects or other animals to polinate, when the only insects to survive the flood are on the other side of the planet?

Let me think about a second....ok, got one.  What about the parasites?  Did the animals and humans on the ark carry every imaginable parasite?  Every unique strain of disease?

Silly.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

1. Lol.  Usually 'species' means things that can only breed within their own pool.  Insects, mammals, birds, reptiles...there are lots of animals.

2. Every plant in existence has seeds that can be submerged in salt water for 40 days?  Bullshit.  Plant reproduction is more complicated than that for many species.  

3. So with a mile of water over the surface of the earth, the oceans and lakes would magically not mix?  Bullshit.

The problems with the flood are endless.  Wait, I'll think of a new problem....got one.  Ok, so what happens to those plants that need insects or other animals to polinate, when the only insects to survive the flood are on the other side of the planet?

Let me think about a second....ok, got one.  What about the parasites?  Did the animals and humans on the ark carry every imaginable parasite?  Every unique strain of disease?

Silly.

Can you argue a point instead of getting angry and swearing everywhere? If you're going to say I'm wrong, then do it with proofs not saying that my position is just "silly" Salt water and freshwater don't mix unless stirred, they sit. and they will have layers on top of eachother. and (usually species) that needs to be better defined. And with the plant seeds, as I've said, most of them actually can, interesting isn't it, if I'm wrong, please show me where it says that.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Silly.

Can you argue a point instead of getting angry and swearing everywhere? If you're going to say I'm wrong, then do it with proofs not saying that my position is just "silly" Salt water and freshwater don't mix unless stirred, they sit. and they will have layers on top of eachother. and (usually species) that needs to be better defined. And with the plant seeds, as I've said, most of them actually can, interesting isn't it, if I'm wrong, please show me where it says that.

1. Tides do 'stir' it, and the initial rains would 'stir' it, currents would 'stir' it.  That is assuming you need any dramatic stirring action in the first place beyond the initial deposit, which I am highly skeptical of.

2. So how do you define species in such a way that every current animal could fit on the ark, along with their food and supplies (even those that eat things that only exist in specific biomes) and be cared for?  The Bible is clear anyway, it says every clean animal, not 'animals convenient for apologetics hobbyists'

3. Your best response is, "some seeds can survive submersion'?  Sad

I got to a site like this and the only answers they have to a small fraction of the problems with the flood is, "speculate, speculate, speculate".  I love their answer to feeding and caring for the animals with 8 people..."some scientists have speculated that the animals may have gone into some kind of dormant state."!  Indeed!  http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c013.html

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, Tits.

It always amazing me that here we are, in the year 2010, debating someone who thinks a 600 year old man put every animal (land and air) on a boat and sailed around for a couple hundred days because an invisible prick wanted to murder some people.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Not that any of this

Not that any of this matters.  If we get it through your head that the flood never happened, you'll just move on.

I had this geology professor who was a devout Christian.  He thought the global flood was a myth because of not only a lack of evidence, but evidence to the contrary.  However, he thought the red sea parting was a true story based on the fact that there might have been a natural dam that might have broken at some point in relation to the red sea.

I just don't get it.  If a Bible story is impossible, it is a allegory.  If it *might* be possible, it is the truth, praise Jesus!  In my twisted little world things should remain undecided until shown to be true, not true until shown to be false.

And I'm not mad at you.  I was raised in a fundamentalist household, and spent grades preschool-11th in a fundamentalist private school.  They told me the flood was real, talked about canopy theory, 'explained' why evolution was impossible, etc.  Funny though, how they are so adamant to show scientific proof of something like the flood but no-one ever tries to scientifically prove a person can turn into salt, or a piece of wood can turn into a snake.

Just say every impossible thing in the Bible is a miracle, that is what it always boils down to anyway.  Why are you guys so hungry for scientific legitimacy on certain claims, but just wave the 'woo' wand at everything else?  If you are going to use that bitch, use it everywhere!

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote:Actually,

TheNickZema wrote:

Uhm, what? Are you sure you meant to write this? Do you know what definition of the word 'species' is?

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Speculation

I'm sorry, but stating that the flood happened isn't speculation. The documentation that the flood happened was written before people say it didn't happen. Whether I'm right or wrong about any of this... Saying that it didn't happen is speculation, because apparently we all have a lot of evidence backing up what we're both saying, therefore, your assertion is just as much speculation (if not more) than mine. But atleast I have a document claiming that it did happen, where are the early accounts saying that this document was false within a timely fashion of the document being recorded.

Plus... as another person said in here. Christians are always looking for scientific evidence. You're right, we won't always find it, and I'm okay with believing that it just happened. I can still use my brain by placing faith in a place that I've realized is true. And yes, most of the flood was miracle. But you can't believe that because you don't believe that God is there, which I understand. But I do, thus I don't actually need all this scientific evidence and just say "God did it" because God (in my view) is all powerful, and can bend the laws of nature, because He created them, and that's why it's called a miracle, because it isn't explained by natural terms.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote: I'm

TheNickZema wrote:

I'm sorry, but stating that the flood happened isn't speculation. The documentation that the flood happened was written before people say it didn't happen. Whether I'm right or wrong about any of this... Saying that it didn't happen is speculation, because apparently we all have a lot of evidence backing up what we're both saying, therefore, your assertion is just as much speculation (if not more) than mine. But atleast I have a document claiming that it did happen, where are the early accounts saying that this document was false within a timely fashion of the document being recorded.

Plus... as another person said in here. Christians are always looking for scientific evidence. You're right, we won't always find it, and I'm okay with believing that it just happened. I can still use my brain by placing faith in a place that I've realized is true. And yes, most of the flood was miracle. But you can't believe that because you don't believe that God is there, which I understand. But I do, thus I don't actually need all this scientific evidence and just say "God did it" because God (in my view) is all powerful, and can bend the laws of nature, because He created them, and that's why it's called a miracle, because it isn't explained by natural terms.

You have evidence for the flood?  Quick, write a paper and collect your Nobel Prize!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Nick, you are not exactly

Nick, you are not exactly bringing the fundy 'A' game here.  On this forum we usually like it when someone actually offers arguments and counter arguments point by point and you seem to be avoiding that in your posts so far.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Nick, you

mellestad wrote:

Nick, you are not exactly bringing the fundy 'A' game here.  On this forum we usually like it when someone actually offers arguments and counter arguments point by point and you seem to be avoiding that in your posts so far.

There are countless accounts outside the Bible of a global flood. and you're arguing with a book that has been around longer than you have. You are the one who needs to disprove it. What exactly am I avoiding?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

There are countless accounts outside the Bible of a global flood. and you're arguing with a book that has been around longer than you have. You are the one who needs to disprove it. What exactly am I avoiding?

You have not answered any of the specific points brought against the flood.

How are contradictory accounts of floods from different civilizations proof for Noah's story?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_myth  or   http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html

Seems like an argument against the Genesis flood story if you ask me.  Why is Noah more probable than any of those?  Besides, all deluge myths mean is that people are scared of drowning.  If a global flood existed, there would be dramatic, obvious physical evidence at every location in the planet.  You could get a backhoe and prove the flood happened anywhere in the world.

Ahh, the Bible is old, therefore true and unchallengeable!  Sweet, that makes you a Sumerian god worshiper!

Usually, in life, the person making the claim has the burden of proof.  "Woorblsnatches exist, you have to prove they don't!!!"  <-- Does not compute.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

You have not answered any of the specific points brought against the flood.

How are contradictory accounts of floods from different civilizations proof for Noah's story?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_myth  or   http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html

Seems like an argument against the Genesis flood story if you ask me.  Why is Noah more probable than any of those?  Besides, all deluge myths mean is that people are scared of drowning.  If a global flood existed, there would be dramatic, obvious physical evidence at every location in the planet.  You could get a backhoe and prove the flood happened anywhere in the world.

Ahh, the Bible is old, therefore true and unchallengeable!  Sweet, that makes you a Sumerian god worshiper!

Usually, in life, the person making the claim has the burden of proof.  "Woorblsnatches exist, you have to prove they don't!!!"  <-- Does not compute.

I didn't say it was unchallegeable, I never said that... challenge it all you want. All these links you gave me just helps my point that there WAS a worldwide flood, all these religions and cultures have accounts. There are a whole lot of Hebrews as well that believed the Bible as it was being passed down orally then eventually written down. I'm sure if the accounts weren't true, those people would just say it didn't happen and would then, kill the story. If someone said World War 2 happened when it didn't how long do you think the story would have lasted after it had been written?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
How can there be accounts of

How can there be accounts of the great flood from the bible except from the few people on the supposed arc. The flood god supposedly laid down was to purge the earth of his screw up's. Yea almighty, all knowing god had to clean the slate and start over. Is god like a bad substitute teacher?

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:How can there

robj101 wrote:

How can there be accounts of the great flood from the bible except from the few people on the supposed arc. The flood god supposedly laid down was to purge the earth of his screw up's. Yea almighty, all knowing god had to clean the slate and start over. Is god like a bad substitute teacher?

Well, now you're just ragging on the way God did things, that's a different conversation, stick to what we were talking about.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema

TheNickZema wrote:

...you're arguing with a book that has been around longer than you have.

That sure sounds like an argument from authority to me.

TheNickZema wrote:

I didn't say it was unchallegeable, I never said that... challenge it all you want. All these links you gave me just helps my point that there WAS a worldwide flood, all these religions and cultures have accounts. There are a whole lot of Hebrews as well that believed the Bible as it was being passed down orally then eventually written down. I'm sure if the accounts weren't true, those people would just say it didn't happen and would then, kill the story. If someone said World War 2 happened when it didn't how long do you think the story would have lasted after it had been written?

All those religions and cultures have all sorts of crazy stories and histories.  Floods are common, why wouldn't they have them?  Societies near volcanoes all have volcano mythologies, does that mean volcano gods are real?

Are you really going to argue that because the Hebrews believed it, it must be true?  Let's assume you are.

Guess what that means?  That means every ancient myth told orally or set to paper is true by default.  Congratulations, you've proved that Ra is the 'real' god, since sun gods are probably the most common form of deity through various religions.  Well, maybe animism.  Either way, you need to rethink your argument, or your theology.  After all, if it wasn't true, they wouldn't hand it down orally, and they would never write it down, some people would just say it didn't happen and kill the story.

Sticking out tongue

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote:robj101

TheNickZema wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Well, now you're just ragging on the way God did things, that's a different conversation, stick to what we were talking about.

He has a valid point.  If there were only 8 witnesses to the flood, why are the stories so incredibly varied?  It would be one thing if the details were off, that would be understandable...but it isn't that way.  There is zero agreement on cause, duration, effect, how widespread it was, number of survivors, if there was an ark...nothing.  Nothing matches.  There is no reason to think the stories would differ so drastically with so few eye witnesses, even with oral tradition.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

robj101 wrote:

He has a valid point.  If there were only 8 witnesses to the flood, why are the stories so incredibly varied?  It would be one thing if the details were off, that would be understandable...but it isn't that way.  There is zero agreement on cause, duration, effect, how widespread it was, number of survivors, if there was an ark...nothing.  Nothing matches.  There is no reason to think the stories would differ so drastically with so few eye witnesses, even with oral tradition.

But the agreement was that there was a flood. and it was meant to wipe the Earth. and then go from there.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

robj101 wrote:

But the agreement was that there was a flood. and it was meant to wipe the Earth. and then go from there.

I'm confused.  Can you rephrase?

Do you mean we had already agreed there was a global flood?  Or do you mean the fact that the stories exist means there was a global flood?

If the latter, that is what I just argued against in the above paragraph.  It is simpler to assume that ancient cultures that experienced localized floods had deluge myths that it is to assume wildly varying deluge myths are the result of a single event with 8 eye witnesses.  Please respond to what I wrote above.

Edit: Multiple stories that share a flood make sense, because floods exist all over and happen all the time.  One single event does not make sense because there is no common ground between the stories, and there is no physical evidence that such an event took place.  If such an event took place it would be extremely obvious to geology.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

mellestad wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I'm confused.  Can you rephrase?

Do you mean we had already agreed there was a global flood?  Or do you mean the fact that the stories exist means there was a global flood?

If the latter, that is what I just argued against in the above paragraph.  It is simpler to assume that ancient cultures that experienced localized floods had deluge myths that it is to assume wildly varying deluge myths are the result of a single event with 8 eye witnesses.  Please respond to what I wrote above.

Edit: Multiple stories that share a flood make sense, because floods exist all over and happen all the time.  One single event does not make sense because there is no common ground between the stories, and there is no physical evidence that such an event took place.  If such an event took place it would be extremely obvious to geology.

Well... according to the Bible that was over 4000 years ago...
I think it's easily agreed on that there was some sort of global flood. We don't have people from that time
period telling us what the world looked like pre-flood. So what type of evidence would you be looking for, for a change.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
They could not have any

They could not have any direct observation of a global flood, since there was only limited communication, if any, between peoples in widely separated parts of the Earth.

There were no satellites or airplanes that could give anyone the view that would be needed to see that there was a true global flood, covering the highest mountains. All we have is various stories of floods in different parts of the world, which is perfectly normal, no indication that they all occurred at the same time, or that they were high enough to cover the highest mountains. The people who wrote the Bible version had no way to know whether any particular flood was a true Global flood, they had no idea what the world was like beyond the area of the Middle East, they did not even know the true size of the Earth.

There are no grounds  for believing there ever was a global flood.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi Nick

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Here you go. Inviolate proof Noah carted his entire menagerie into the ark in one day. We even know the date - February 17.  And it was raining.

Genesis 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Genesis 7:13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;

Genesis 7:14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.

-

This business of you insisting that one house cat might have turned into all the cats, one dog all the dogs and one fish all the fish is incorrect as others have pointed out. god doesn't tell Noah to only take a couple of core animals aboard to cross-breed. No - he tells Noah to take everything he can get his mitts on - every beast and every creeping thing and every bird. Every. The lord is quite insistent about it. A piece of trivia about the clean and unclean animals is this. Noah's story takes place in the earliest days of the history of the world. The decision that some animals are clean and some are unclean doesn't make an appearance until Leviticus which biblical scholars believe was written about 600BCE during or just after the Jews' exile in Babylon. In other words, well after the Noah's chucked a Steve Irwin.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:It always

mellestad wrote:
It always amazing me that here we are, in the year 2010, debating someone who thinks a 600 year old man put every animal (land and air) on a boat and sailed around for a couple hundred days because an invisible prick wanted to murder some people.

I second this. What is also amazing is the level of ignorance someone has to maintain in order to pretend such nonsense is true.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Here you go. Inviolate proof Noah carted his entire menagerie into the ark in one day. We even know the date - February 17.  And it was raining.

Genesis 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Genesis 7:13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;

Genesis 7:14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.

-

This business of you insisting that one house cat might have turned into all the cats, one dog all the dogs and one fish all the fish is incorrect as others have pointed out. god doesn't tell Noah to only take a couple of core animals aboard to cross-breed. No - he tells Noah to take everything he can get his mitts on - every beast and every creeping thing and every bird. Every. The lord is quite insistent about it. A piece of trivia about the clean and unclean animals is this. Noah's story takes place in the earliest days of the history of the world. The decision that some animals are clean and some are unclean doesn't make an appearance until Leviticus which biblical scholars believe was written about 600BCE during or just after the Jews' exile in Babylon. In other words, well after the Noah's chucked a Steve Irwin.

They didn't use the same calender as us. and... if you read a little more carefully, it doesn't say that the animals were put on the ark the same day, it says that very day the people got on the ark. after that it says that they had the animals. If you know the Hebrew language... that doesn't mean, they put the animals on the ark in the same day, I don't read that anywhere.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fine

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

-

They didn't use the same calender as us. and... if you read a little more carefully, it doesn't say that the animals were put on the ark the same day, it says that very day the people got on the ark. after that it says that they had the animals. If you know the Hebrew language... that doesn't mean, they put the animals on the ark in the same day, I don't read that anywhere.

Go ahead and believe this silly story all you like, Nick. The words are there in the bible. The noah's scamper into the ark the day is starts to rain - they and every beast after his kind. It doesn't say the animals go in the day after, or the week after. The text follows on quite clearly if you read it carefully. If you insist on interpreting the words to mean something else to suit you, go ahead. But don't pretend that this somehow legitimises the tale. Whichever way you slice it, this tale is ludicrous.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

-

Go ahead and believe this silly story all you like, Nick. The words are there in the bible. The noah's scamper into the ark the day is starts to rain - they and every beast after his kind. It doesn't say the animals go in the day after, or the week after. The text follows on quite clearly if you read it carefully. If you insist on interpreting the words to mean something else to suit you, go ahead. But don't pretend that this somehow legitimises the tale. Whichever way you slice it, this tale is ludicrous.

I'm actually asserting that he put the animals on the ark before-hand. Because after it says that they went in the ark, the animals were "with them". And don't pretend that you've settled this, there's a reason why people have been arguing this for over a hundred years, because there's a lot of unexplained stuff on both sides.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ok Nick - try this...

"In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark; they, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort."

Wrap your brain around that sentence without the notations in it. Is it clearer now? People haven't been arguing about it. Some people have said it's impossible and others insist it's true because it's in the bible and they really, really want to believe it. As for me settling it, there it is right there in front of you. You bloody settle it. 

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Context Context Context

Atheistextremist wrote:

"In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark; they, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort."

Wrap your brain around that sentence without the notations in it. Is it clearer now? People haven't been arguing about it. Some people have said it's impossible and others insist it's true because it's in the bible and they really, really want to believe it. As for me settling it, there it is right there in front of you. You bloody settle it. 

1. The notations are extremely important to understand context.

2. Have you taken a stab at the Hebrew language at all? That also will
help you to understand context.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote:Well...

TheNickZema wrote:

I think it's easily agreed on that there was some sort of global flood. We don't have people from that time
period telling us what the world looked like pre-flood. So what type of evidence would you be looking for, for a change.

Geology does not support your position of a world wide flood. Where are the sediment layers?

One of the older myths is the Sumerian version of a flood. This myth or legend was over 2,000 years old when the rewritten story of the Hebrews appeared. Someone owes the Sumerians royalities for the Noah episode. It occurred over 7 days and a wall of water washed away all of their known world, at least in Mesopotamia. It certainly sounds like a cat 5 hurricane to me going up the Persian Gulf and being magnified by the gulf to cause a large flood along with many inches of rainfall. You should go through a hurricane sometime to see what you think when it hits. The Sumerian version is exactly what a large hurricane would do. As Abe came out of Sumer when his dad Terah moved from one place of Moon god worship to another it's more than likely he knew of this ancient story. Since oral legends get screwed up as storytellers retell them no surprise 7 days became 40 and it all became a worshipper of El.

Where's the water now that supposedly covered the highest mountains, such as Everest, over 5 miles of water?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Geology does not support your position of a world wide flood. Where are the sediment layers?

One of the older myths is the Sumerian version of a flood. This myth or legend was over 2,000 years old when the rewritten story of the Hebrews appeared. Someone owes the Sumerians royalities for the Noah episode. It occurred over 7 days and a wall of water washed away all of their known world, at least in Mesopotamia. It certainly sounds like a cat 5 hurricane to me going up the Persian Gulf and being magnified by the gulf to cause a large flood along with many inches of rainfall. You should go through a hurricane sometime to see what you think when it hits. The Sumerian version is exactly what a large hurricane would do. As Abe came out of Sumer when his dad Terah moved from one place of Moon god worship to another it's more than likely he knew of this ancient story. Since oral legends get screwed up as storytellers retell them no surprise 7 days became 40 and it all became a worshipper of El.

Where's the water now that supposedly covered the highest mountains, such as Everest, over 5 miles of water?

Oral tradition isn't as distorted as you'd think.
I've lived in Florida since I was 3 years old. I know hurricanes. Eye-wink
We have evaporation that would have gotten rid of a lot of the water.
there is also a lot of water in glaciers, and it said that the springs opened up.
Obviously the water would have returned, how? I'm not so sure about that.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema

TheNickZema wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

there is also a lot of water in glaciers, and it said that the springs opened up.

I have lived in Florida for over 20 years and have also been though hurricanes. Think Andrew with rainfall like Gordan but going up the Persian Gulf. An example was a hurricane that did similar in the Bay of Bengal late 1800s I think.

It may feel like there is enough water in the air in Orlando to put 6 miles of water in the air, but not so. Do the math.

Compute the volume of the Earth as a sphere (estimate). - Earth Volume - A in cubic miles

Add 12 miles to the diameter. Recalculate the volume. Earth Volume + water - W in cubic miles

Water volume needed = W - A

You do the math to see for yourself its equal to about 1,186,000,000 cubic miles of water more or less on top of what we currently have.

Where is it?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

TheNickZema wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

I have lived in Florida for over 20 years and have also been though hurricanes. Think Andrew with rainfall like Gordan but going up the Persian Gulf. An example was a hurricane that did similar in the Bay of Bengal late 1800s I think.

It may feel like there is enough water in the air in Orlando to put 6 miles of water in the air, but not so. Do the math.

Compute the volume of the Earth as a sphere (estimate). - Earth Volume - A in cubic miles

Add 12 miles to the diameter. Recalculate the volume. Earth Volume + water - W in cubic miles

You do the math to see for yourself its equal to about 1,186,000,000 cubic miles of water more or less on top of what we currently have.

Where is it?

I'm no scientist, and that's a lot of numbers... but I would have to say it might have something to do with evaporation, being frozen back into glaciers, going back into the springs, and the erosion of the earth (which could account for a LOT)

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema

TheNickZema wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Where is it?

I'm no scientist, and that's a lot of numbers... but I would have to say it might have something to do with evaporation, being frozen back into glaciers, going back into the springs, and the erosion of the earth (which could account for a LOT)

No it doesn't have anything to do with evaporation.

You only need high school math to figure it out. You are deluding yourself. Do the Math.

It's not in the air.

It's not in the ground.

It's not in the glaciers.

If that volume of water was placed on the North and South poles covering about 3,200,000 square miles it would go to a height of approximately180 miles on each pole. That would be some very large glaciers.

Clouds generally go to 25,000 feet or so. It's not there, remember you have to have it as vapor not a solid or we would all drown. as we started  with 31,620 feet of water. That means the Earth would have a cloud cover as heavy as Venus, it doesn't.

If 6 miles of water were in the ground, it would come out as steam everywhere from being heated by the Earth's interior. Oil wells would pump water not oil. You couldn't dig mine shafts.

*Edit Added*

As to erosion, that changes nothing at all. Didn't you have high school math? If the Earth was covered with water and it eroded down it would still be approximately the same volume of water to cover it. Whether the washed away ground was on dry land or the ocean, understand?

*edited typo*

TheNickZema
TheNickZema's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

TheNickZema wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

Where is it?

No it doesn't have anything to do with evaporation.

You only need high school math to figure it out. You are deluding yourself. Do the Math.

It's not in the air.

It's not in the ground.

It's not in the glaciers.

If that volume of water was placed on the North and South poles covering about 3,200,000 square miles it would go to a height of approximately180 miles on each pole. That would be some very large glaciers.

Clouds generally go to 25,000 feet or so. It's not there, remember you have to have it as vapor not a solid or we would all drown. as we started  with 31,620 feet of water. That means the Earth would have a cloud cover as heavy as Venus, it doesn't.

If 6 miles of water were in the ground, it would come out as steam everywhere from being heated by the Earth's interior. Oil wells would pump water not oil. You couldn't dig mine shafts.

*Edit Added*

As to erosion, that changes nothing at all. Didn't you have high school math? If the Earth was covered with water and it eroded down it would still be approximately the same volume of water to cover it. Whether the washed away ground was on dry land or the ocean, understand?

*edited typo*

I gave you what I got, yeah, a lot is still... where is it? But I think I gave good enough backing for quite a bit. Don't shoot down everything you hear, it risks you coming off as narrowminded. You asked, I answered, you said that couldn't possibly be the case... that makes no sense.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lol

TheNickZema wrote:
Don't shoot down everything you hear, it risks you coming off as narrowminded.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if Noah carried two

I wonder if Noah carried two of that guy's avatars in the arc as well.

I started the thread as a fun point and laugh kind of post, and I'm amazed someone is actually trying to rationalize the whole silly story.

I will note that he said something about arguing about the bible, it is 2000 years old or w/e, lol they thought the world was flat, do you still believe that too? What a silly arguement, because something is old makes it right.

Back on topic, another way he could fit all the animals in:

Yea, the super stacking technique demonstrated here!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's discuss ancient Egypt

TheNickZema wrote:

I think it's easily agreed on that there was some sort of global flood. We don't have people from that time period telling us what the world looked like pre-flood. So what type of evidence would you be looking for, for a change.

The alleged biblical flood was supposedly about 3000 BCE -5000 years ago.  Ancient Egypt has records back to about 4000 BCE and no global floods.  We know this because taxation was based on the Nile spring floods.  This is because how much food you could produce was dependent on the amount of flooding.  So the floods were carefully measured and taxes assessed.  No global floods - every year, flooding river measured, taxes assessed, repeat.  No global floods in ancient Egypt.

And I am sure if every where else on the earth flooded and Egypt didn't , someone would have commented.  No such commentary exists.  No global floods in ancient Egypt.  Bubble burst - POP!

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Context cj, Context!

cj wrote:

TheNickZema wrote:

I think it's easily agreed on that there was some sort of global flood. We don't have people from that time period telling us what the world looked like pre-flood. So what type of evidence would you be looking for, for a change.

The alleged biblical flood was supposedly about 3000 BCE -5000 years ago.  Ancient Egypt has records back to about 4000 BCE and no global floods.  We know this because taxation was based on the Nile spring floods.  This is because how much food you could produce was dependent on the amount of flooding.  So the floods were carefully measured and taxes assessed.  No global floods - every year, flooding river measured, taxes assessed, repeat.  No global floods in ancient Egypt.

And I am sure if every where else on the earth flooded and Egypt didn't , someone would have commented.  No such commentary exists.  No global floods in ancient Egypt.  Bubble burst - POP!

If you open your mind to believe the improbable, it becomes possible!

Hey, let's argue with Nick about that one piece organic machine he has sprawling across his posts. What is that machine, Nick? Did it to spring into being complete and does this prove intelligent design?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote: I gave

TheNickZema wrote:

I gave you what I got, yeah, a lot is still... where is it? But I think I gave good enough backing for quite a bit. Don't shoot down everything you hear, it risks you coming off as narrowminded. You asked, I answered, you said that couldn't possibly be the case... that makes no sense.

You actually gave such an inadequate explanation it's like the ancient cavemen describing thunder and lightning as caused by the gods.

The Noah myth is so unlikely in face of critical thought as there is no explanation possible where the water went if the entire Earth was covered as claimed.

I not only told you it makes no sense I showed you why it makes no sense. Not my fault you can't do math.

When it comes to myths I require adequate proof its not just storytelling by ancient ignorant people that has been embellished to make a hero out of a character.

I haven't even bothered with the rest of the fairy tale as it has even more problems that were mentioned by others.

One such issue was discussed how did all the animals get to the ark. One that wasn't is how they got to only where they are today. Kangaroos in Australia but not in Arizona.Why did they all hop over to Australia from Mt Araat and none stopped off in India?

I'm skeptical of all ancient storytelling and consider most to be based off misunderstood ideas by the ancients who thought gee, why is that? Oh, I know the gods did it. Try again.

mrblue
User is offlineOffline
TheNickZema wrote: I'm

TheNickZema wrote:

Sorry Nick, but as proof of anything, the bible is not worth two knobs of dogshit.

Also I like your Avitar, the flagellum is a wonderful example that confirms evolution and reinforces the fact that god is no longer needed.

If you think that god speaks to you, I say you hallucinate and need professional help.