Why is the site so slow?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Why is the site so slow?

Is the server gutless?  Bad uplink at the ISP?  The wrong forum platform?  Something specific messed up, code wise?

It drives me nuts, this forum isn't even that large and it crawls.  I think it used to be worse though, so there is that.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
It seems pretty fast to me.

It seems okay to me. What kind of operating system and web browser are you using?

I have Safari on Mac OS X. I was using Firefox, but then, I felt like Safari ran slightly faster.

Edit: Takes about two to four seconds to finish loading a page, opening new tabs from 'recent posts.'

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:It seems

butterbattle wrote:

It seems okay to me. What kind of operating system and web browser are you using?

I have Safari on Mac OS X. I was using Firefox, but then, I felt like Safari ran slightly faster.

Edit: Takes about two to four seconds to finish loading a page, opening new tabs from 'recent posts.'

IE8 on 7, 64 bit.  Chrome is a bit faster but it is still fairly sluggish.  If it is only slow on mine, that is fine; it must be a seperate issue.

The new post tab only works for me if the discussion is under one page though.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Is the

mellestad wrote:

Is the server gutless?  Bad uplink at the ISP?  The wrong forum platform?  Something specific messed up, code wise?

It drives me nuts, this forum isn't even that large and it crawls.  I think it used to be worse though, so there is that.

Works fine for me as well, on IE 8 on DSL in Denver.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
there's the problem

mellestad wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

IE8 on 7, 64 bit.  Chrome is a bit faster but it is still fairly sluggish.  If it is only slow on mine, that is fine; it must be a seperate issue.

The new post tab only works for me if the discussion is under one page though.

Win 7 is demonstrably slower than XP.  (see ZDNET blogs)  I'm running XP with Firefox 3.5.  No problems, loads fast.

I do get occasionally real slow access, but that has to be because of the linkages between me and the rest of the internet.  If you get slow downs for a few minutes or even hours, but then it runs fine, there is something else going on and it isn't your system or connection.

I was living in west-central Washington and the internet connection went to slug-city.  Turns out a farmer in central Washington, cut through the fiber optic cable with his cultivator.  Screwed everyone on the east side of the Cascades to Montana.  They got it fixed and the same guy did it again during harvest.  We were about ready to go lynch the guy.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I just got a brand new

Well I just got a brand new comp, with windows 7 (just put in my power supply and vid card 3 hours ago), and the site is still slower than it should be imo. Maybe a lot of traffic? I would guess maybe just a bunch of lookers.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Everything seems fine to

Everything seems fine to me, but we'll look into it.  Sorry.