Cosmetic surgery-- my praise for Kelly O'Connor

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cosmetic surgery-- my praise for Kelly O'Connor

Although I am mindful of the potential damaging effects of societal beauty standards, I don't see an intrinsic problem with an individual desiring to enhance a body part(s) for personal betterment. I would envision a day when we have the ability to re-engineer our brains to enhance cognition (eg. via nanotechnology). Whether it is for enhancing beauty, sexual attractiveness, intelligence, memory, emotions, etc.. I see no problem if that is what an individual chooses to do. Now I know I'm gonna get ambushed with that last statement for no choice is made in a vacuum and is pre-determined by cultural norms (eg. patriarchy as per mainstream feminists). Yet, one of the founders of this site is a far greater intellectual than me who underwent breast augmentation. And I am doubtful that her decision for this was due to some subconscious cultural brainwashing. Rather in her case, it represents IMO the kind of liberation I support which I hope will evolve (perhaps among my descendants) into transhumanism. Plus....I LOVE BIG TITS!!!!!

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Cosmetic surgery, in a large

Cosmetic surgery, in a large way, liberates humans from the superficiality of genetics.  We can be whatever we want to be- wherever that want comes from. 

The opponents to this seem to set up some dichotomy between what we want because it was forced on us and what we want because it is our "true" desire.

Every desire is essentially deterministic [with a flair of relative randomness], so argument that culture is forcing our desires on us over 'truer' ones is kind of silly, and tantamount to the bunk argument of "free will"- our environments (including the environmental circumstance of our genetics) create our desires, without which we have none.

Those people are just imposing *their* desires upon others- not that this is necessarily problematic, but it isn't a rational argument against the nature of the desire itself, or the action that follows it.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here you go!

http://www.amazon.com/Men-Stupid-They-Like-Boobs/dp/141659924X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267747145&sr=8-1

The entire title is Men are Stupid and They Like Big Boobs: A Woman's Guide to Beauty Through Plastic Surgery by Joan Rivers.  Actually, it is a very good book on what is available, what are the risks and what your recovery should be like.  And she should know - out of the 15 procedures she mentions, she claims to have had 13 of them!  Also, there are some great jokes.

Tattoos - no matter where you have a tattoo, they always turn blue as they age.  Have you seen Cher's butt lately?  It looks like she sat on a village of Smurfs!

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.