16 year old baby

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
16 year old baby

I don't know if enyone's heard of this girl I just came across this docementary on tv tonight, I found the case fascinating.  This girl Brooke Greenberg is 16 years old but is in every physical way she is 2, and as far as they know she is the only case in the world.  Her body stopped aging and growing at 2, not to be confused with dwarfism or other little peoples, she is literally a 16 year old baby. 

http://maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com/2009/06/brooke-greenberg-is-16-year-old-baby.html

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe no response

I can't believe no response in 2 days, has everyone heard of this story or something?  The discovery of a body that doesn't grow or age seems massively important to me. 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:I

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I can't believe no response in 2 days, has everyone heard of this story or something? 

I hate gnomes, and would gladly see them all destroyed beneath my boot... happy now?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

The discovery of a body that doesn't grow or age seems massively important to me. 

No, its not really...

If she was tossed off a cliff, as ancient tradition and medicine dictates, we'd never have another case of it to worry about

Its not like she succled "the fountain of youth's" teet, so dont make it sound that way NoMore.

Its just another inferior genetic trait that needs to be squashed before it spreads further into the gene pool, no more, no less

What Would Kharn Do?

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That's kind of an odd

That's kind of an odd response. Getting injected with whatever she's got at the age of 25 would beat the hell out of massive cosmetic surgery down the road. I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd feel that way.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote: That's

smartypants wrote:

That's kind of an odd response. Getting injected with whatever she's got at the age of 25 would beat the hell out of massive cosmetic surgery down the road. I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd feel that way.

Im sure their children would eventually love it as well... genesplicing isnt a " Take 2 and call me in the morning" fix...

You fuck with your own genes, reproduce... gratz, you fucked with your childrens, and childrens childrens, all the way until wide spread genepool contamination

What Would Kharn Do?

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Its not like she succled "the fountain of youth's" teet, so dont make it sound that way NoMore.

What are you talking about, I have no Idea, I know nothing of what it means or the science behind it hence the "seems" in my sentence.  I could careless however it was an interesting case.  Thanks for the  wierdo tool response buddy.  Haha what were you picked on as a child or something?

Some kind of Llama
User is offlineOffline
That is pretty nuts

That is pretty nuts actually... I believe i'll have to look further into this one...

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

The ability for the average person to live forever (barring some kind of disaster) would destroy society.

Even for a select few to have it, it would allow them to perpetually gain power and/or wealth, and cause the value of time to be more and more meaningless for them.

I don't think humanity could cope with that. 

I will like to see what comes from this in 10 or 20 years. People do age differently. I know someone who at 20 looks like he is in his 30s, and seems to have problems associated with age already. 

I could go for a life extension. I find the more I learn though, the fewer people I have to talk to about things that interest me. I fear that if I learn too much, I may have very few peers to discuss things I enjoy.

Common entertainment (video games, movies, shows) can only be conversation for so long.

An example? It is hard to discuss any science with someone that thinks evolution is a sham and the planet is 6000 years old. I had a painful reminder of this when I brought up some minor astronomy events, and the person looked at me like I was crazy only to inform me that light doesn't take millions of years to move, it is instant. Then he tried to mock me about "slow light".

This is something that is true though for anything. It isn't always that blatantly obvious. If I studied anything someone else hasn't, then I can't well discuss that subject with them, no matter how fascinating I find it.

Living a life for centuries...I can only imagine how few people you could discuss things with and relate to. It would be a very lonely existence.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: The ability

ClockCat wrote:

The ability for the average person to live forever (barring some kind of disaster) would destroy society.

This might happen sooner than you think. You should read Ray Kurzweil's The Singularity is Near.

And for your information, Doomed, I wasn't even talking about gene splicing. Whatever it is that's keeping her cells from developing could very possibly unlock the mystery of cancer. Stop being so grumpy. Is it time for your nap?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote: And for

smartypants wrote:

And for your information, Doomed, I wasn't even talking about gene splicing. Whatever it is that's keeping her cells from developing could very possibly unlock the mystery of cancer. Stop being so grumpy. Is it time for your nap?

she has a genetic disorder, in which you suggested people may want to inject themselves with in order to achieve a desired effect, genesplicing is the logical conclusion, granted, it may not be the only possible conclusion... but if i knew what the others were, i would have a nobel prize right now, wouldnt i?

I wasnt being grumpy, but yes, it really was nap time >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: The ability

ClockCat wrote:

I don't think forever is possible and it probably could destroy society, but  living 2 or 300 years seems appealing to me as long as everyone lived that long with you.   

ClockCat wrote:

I could go for a life extension. I find the more I learn though, the fewer people I have to talk to about things that interest me. I fear that if I learn too much, I may have very few peers to discuss things I enjoy.

So true, I only have 1 close friend who I can discuss any topic on any subject of new things I learn with and he'll have a go at it.  Many I know shut down and seem to avoid converstions that involve thinking or opigions.  Ofcourse the only way a life extension would make any sense as a good thing would be if your friends and family can live extended lives with you and grow and learn with you, otherwise I think life extension would be just depressing.  I wouldn't want to live longer if i have to watch everyone I know die before me.  If we could all do it would make sense but if someone offered me the secret youth pill and their was only one I don't think I'd take it.  It's an interesting scenerio to think about though.     

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
rejuv

As my mom always said, it's not the old, it's the decrepit.  And she was soooo right.  Even if any related discoveries didn't extend life very long, if they could only allow you to live without what is now age-related problems, I would go for it if at all possible.  Living 100 years with no osteoarthritis, diabetes, circulatory problems, alzheimers, etc? until maybe the last year of your life?  Let me at it.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:As my mom always

cj wrote:

As my mom always said, it's not the old, it's the decrepit.  And she was soooo right.  Even if any related discoveries didn't extend life very long, if they could only allow you to live without what is now age-related problems, I would go for it if at all possible.  Living 100 years with no osteoarthritis, diabetes, circulatory problems, alzheimers, etc? until maybe the last year of your life?  Let me at it.

This is exactly what I was thinking...although it does sound like this girl has a lot of other health problems that may or may not be related.