My religion

skeptiform5
skeptiform5's picture
User is offlineOffline
My religion

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help with something. At the moment I'm trying to 'find my religion' so basically can everyone post stuff proving or disproving god or Jesus or Allah or whatever. I just want to know anything and everything about why you are your religion (or why you don't have one) and why you think it's correct.

Thanks

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you really looking for a

Are you really looking for a religion, or are you trying to start a debate with a theist?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
skeptiform5 wrote:Hi

skeptiform5 wrote:

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help with something. At the moment I'm trying to 'find my religion' so basically can everyone post stuff proving or disproving god or Jesus or Allah or whatever. I just want to know anything and everything about why you are your religion (or why you don't have one) and why you think it's correct.

Thanks

Why are you "looking"? That has nothing but a "warm fuzzy" connotation to it.

We cant decide for you what you believe. What you should do for yourself is demand OF YOURSELF a high standard of quality control when accepting or rejecting ANY CLAIM ON ANY ISSUE.

Atheism is not a religion, it is a position. Specifically the "off" position as far as god claims. There are people with different degrees of education from laymen to PHDs who hold this "off" position.

I myself, reject god claims because the idea of an invisible magical super brain with super powers is absurd. Humans have no independent repeatable falsifiable test to confirm this.

You don't, nor should you accept atheism because it "feels good" anymore than one should accept a god because "it feels good".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a student of

I'm a student of esotericism. This is not a religion, but has some aspects of it, plus aspects of science, philosophy, and more. The basic theme of esotericism is progress, progress of consciousness, knowledge, self-realization, justice, freedom, and revealing of the hidden part of the world, I mean, the kind of it I prefer. I'll try to explain it in scientific terms.
The world was created by three basic powers, three Rays. Their characteristics are extensively described and with modern knowledge we can identify the 1st ray with Strong nuclear force that transforms and destroys, 2nd with Gravity that binds and 3rd with Electromagnetic-Weak nuclear force, that binds but also combines everything into great variety.
Esotericism also recognizes the fact, that majority of the universe is unseen, hidden from our senses, in form of so-called dark matter and energy. It also says, that every atom of the universe is related to every other atom, in agreement with some interpretations of Quantum theory.
Esotericism also accepts, or in fact precedes, String theory. It recognizes 7 dimensions of the world, including our own. (plus 3D space and 1D time)

Esotericism is therefore to a great degree compatible with contemporary science. However, it is much more, than just that. Esotericism says, that life itself, specially human life, is multi-dimensional, in terms of String theory. It also equates particular dimensions to "world of emotions", "mental world", "spiritual world" and so on. By thinking, having emotions, or meditating we interfere with higher String dimensions at some level, in some way, or at least with that part of ourselves, that exists on that level. Esotericism uses this multi-dimensional idea of life to suggest explanation to otherwise unexplainable phenomena. That's basically it, there is a lot of areas where it gives a different look on life.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

skeptiform5
skeptiform5's picture
User is offlineOffline
1)I said that because

1)I said that because basically it was the fist thing that popped into my head that sounded correct.

2)Your not deciding my religion, I am looking at all of the arguments and seeing which one, in my mind, has the most solid argument

3)I know that and a quote which I rather like saying that is 'atheism is a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby' and when is said '(or why you don't have one)' I was referring to atheists and I'm sorry if that was confusing.

4) Two things. You made a good point however I am not doing what you claim I am doing when you said 'You don't, nor should you accept atheism because it "feels good" anymore than one should accept a god because "it feels good"' I am choosing which one, as I have said previously, is most reasonable, and has the most solid argument, and I am the one who will judge that for myself.

Oh and Ciarin I am honestly just wanting to see peoples views on religion but that doesn't mean that I won't reply or ask for evidence of some kind because otherwise the information I am given may be useless to me and you specifically mentioned theists but I could definitely get into a debate with an atheist.

I also want to point out to everyone who is replying to my thread that I am trying and am not biased towards any opinion by anything apart from what people on this thread have to say.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Skepti

I'm an atheist because there is no proof for god. Sure, there's shit we don't know but that's all there is. Theism is inscrutable and religious belief is undertaken in the absence of any direct proof. That's the end of the story.

Anywhere else you go with religion after this comes down to your feelings.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
skeptiform5 wrote:d"' I am

skeptiform5 wrote:
d"' I am choosing which one, as I have said previously, is most reasonable, and has the most solid argument, and I am the one who will judge that for myself.

Oh and Ciarin I am honestly just wanting to see peoples views on religion but that doesn't mean that I won't reply or ask for evidence of some kind because otherwise the information I am given may be useless to me...

You're not going to get any evidence. The only things you'd get are the tenets and traditions, history of the religion and the believers anecdotal personal experiences.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go with whatever religion or

Go with whatever religion or non-religion makes you feel better. Just like everyone else.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Go with whatever

EXC wrote:

Go with whatever religion or non-religion makes you feel better. Just like everyone else.

He summed it up, look into some, if one strikes your fancy go with it.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Learning To Fly

skeptiform5 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks

Really? Forget about religion in an organized sense of the word. In fact, forget about everything in an organized sense. It would take you a lifetime to figure out how to disprove God or Jesus or Allah or whatever and a great deal more quick to come to the conclusion that I came to when I was 6 years old. Namely that everyone is full of shit. It took me 20 more years to come to the conclusion that I was as well, so you see? You are wasting your time. Eliminate the obvious flaws and what you are left with is something as close to the truth as you could possibly hope for so long as you never allow that to cloud your judgment. Keep in mind you could be in the right place but wrong in your approach which makes for an unstable landing.

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
David Henson

David Henson wrote:

skeptiform5 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks

Really? Forget about religion in an organized sense of the word. In fact, forget about everything in an organized sense. It would take you a lifetime to figure out how to disprove God or Jesus or Allah or whatever and a great deal more quick to come to the conclusion that I came to when I was 6 years old. Namely that everyone is full of shit. It took me 20 more years to come to the conclusion that I was as well, so you see? You are wasting your time. Eliminate the obvious flaws and what you are left with is something as close to the truth as you could possibly hope for so long as you never allow that to cloud your judgment. Keep in mind you could be in the right place but wrong in your approach which makes for an unstable landing.

Skeptiform, listen to David. While listening to him, remember that he claims to know the "true meaning" of everything in the Bible, written in languages he doesn't speak and has no training in. He also misspelled "eliminate" as "illiminate" but has since edited his post.

Listen to every side, and check everything they claim. If you want to challenge the idea of religion, read a book. There are enough. I won't recommend a specific book on atheism. Find out for yourself what you believe, then come here and test it. You can't expect anybody to summarize everything they believe into one short post. It will be lacking. If you want a discussion, bring something to the table first. You don't have to give us a breakthrough theory with global impact, just start with some kind of base. What do you believe?

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
I Need Sleep

JonathanBC wrote:

Skeptiform, listen to David. While listening to him, remember that he claims to know the "true meaning" of everything in the Bible, written in languages he doesn't speak and has no training in. He also misspelled "eliminate" as "illiminate" but has since edited his post.

Maybe I was testing you Johnny boy. You see, I taught myself how to read before I went to school but was taught spelling and grammar in public schools. Again, one doesn't need training in the languages of the Bible in order to research the meanings of the words therein. Your insistence to the contrary speaks a great deal of your ignorance on the subject. Of a sort of underestimation of ones ability to educate themselves as opposed to being spoon fed all the information they need. In other words you have no legitimate complaint because otherwise you yourself would need accredited in specific idioms to have come to that conclusion. Its sort of like me asking if you are trained in atheism or otherwise telling you to shut the fuck up. There would eventually be no point for any of us to discuss anything unless we had been indoctrinated into the specific school of thought accepted by the masses. Currently that would be an Anglo-American apostate Christian one. You see there? I've run circles 'round you logically. Twice plus I shoved the word idiom in as a sort of malicious aside.

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
David Henson

David Henson wrote:

JonathanBC wrote:

Maybe I was testing you Johnny boy. You see, I taught myself how to read before I went to school but was taught spelling and grammar in public schools. Again, one doesn't need training in the languages of the Bible in order to research the meanings of the words therein. Your insistence to the contrary speaks a great deal of your ignorance on the subject. Of a sort of underestimation of ones ability to educate themselves as opposed to being spoon fed all the information they need. In other words you have no legitimate complaint because otherwise you yourself would need accredited in specific idioms to have come to that conclusion. Its sort of like me asking if you are trained in atheism or otherwise telling you to shut the fuck up. There would eventually be no point for any of us to discuss anything unless we had been indoctrinated into the specific school of thought accepted by the masses. Currently that would be an Anglo-American apostate Christian one. You see there? I've run circles 'round you logically. Twice plus I shoved the word idiom in as a sort of malicious aside.

I've addressed this already elsewhere. Let me see if I can dumb it down. Have you ever tested mass energy equivalence? If not, do you believe E=mc2? Have you ever tested germ disease theory? If not, do you believe germs can spread disease? Have you ever dissected a giraffe? If not, do you believe they have a skeleton?

You suffer from illusory superiority. You're really an ignorant man who thinks he has all the answers and won't respond to contrary evidence. At least you admit you misspelled eliminate.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:David

JonathanBC wrote:

David Henson wrote:

JonathanBC wrote:

I've addressed this already elsewhere. Let me see if I can dumb it down. Have you ever tested mass energy equivalence? If not, do you believe E=mc2? Have you ever tested germ disease theory? If not, do you believe germs can spread disease? Have you ever dissected a giraffe? If not, do you believe they have a skeleton?

You suffer from illusory superiority. You're really an ignorant man who thinks he has all the answers and won't respond to contrary evidence. At least you admit you misspelled eliminate.

The problem I see here is that, when I'm forced to conclude that you are totally ignorant of the Bible you don't actually provide any contrary evidence, you start spouting nonsense about E=mc2 and a giraffe. So, if your argument is hinged upon my knowledge of those things it is an irrelevant argument to cover up your own ignorance on what it is we are actually talking about, but if you are arguing whether or not I am properly trained to discuss it I would be willing to hazard a guess that you are no more specifically trained in Giraffes or germ disease theory but I could be wrong on that. I don't think it matters. Now, lets set aside all of that and you and test me on my knowledge of the Bible in what is an atheist / theist discussion. I promise you. With all of the help here on this forum and everything you have ever read on the subject and with all of the specialized expertise of any scholars past or present at your disposal you will lose. All the more cause for concern on your part because I can't spell illuminate. You see that? Pay attention.

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I wanted a one on one thread

I wanted a one on one thread in your first week here. You declined. Change your mind and we'll talk to Sapient about arranging that. Otherwise shut the fuck up and stop trying to make me the coward. If I'm ignorant of the Bible, debating me should be easy for you.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:I wanted a

JonathanBC wrote:

I wanted a one on one thread in your first week here. You declined. Change your mind and we'll talk to Sapient about arranging that. Otherwise shut the fuck up and stop trying to make me the coward. If I'm ignorant of the Bible, debating me should be easy for you.

i'm willing to act as a sort of consultant.  i have a BA in religion from a secular and fairly liberal department.  most of my courses focused on the abrahamic faiths.  i took two semesters of greek and one of biblical hebrew.  i know those credentials aren't impressive, but i still keep up my studies.  i put grad school on indefinite hold when i got married but i was accepted to yale divinity a few years ago, if that says anything.  i'm just offering my services because so far i haven't encountered anyone else here with a degree in religion and i know some people are hung up on credentials.  if there's any question of biblical interpretation or historical context i might be able to shed some light.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:I wanted a

JonathanBC wrote:

I wasn't calling you a coward I was calling you stupid. This post, though, is an evolution on your part because now you have graduated from stupidity into cowardice. If I refuse one on one because the idea of so many rules makes me want to take a nap or puke you could certainly debate me on the Bible without all of the fuss and bother. Nothing but your own stupidity is stopping you. 

Oh, dear! Did you see where I just made a mistake? It is most likely your stupidity that propels you. I think you need to illiminate your fears. 

Set it up, easy on the bullshit or I walk before it begins.  Oh, and keep in mind. It isn't about science it is about the Bible.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol

David Henson wrote:

Set it up, easy on the bullshit or I walk before it begins.  Oh, and keep in mind. It isn't about science it is about the Bible.

I'm not certain that the conditions imposed by the contents of this sentence are possible...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I've messaged Sapient. While

I've messaged Sapient. While waiting for his response, I'll give you a token of good will. Since I'm willing to debate anything with you, I welcome you to post a first draft of rules and regions of discussion. I'll more than likely accept anything you come up with. I don't want you to be able to run away. The only way I can get that from you is to let you set it up. You can even decide if iwbiek can consult. I fully accept he's better prepared and educated for it than I am. My problem is with you. You're welcome to call me anything you'd like, but I'm going to make you back it up.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:I've

JonathanBC wrote:

I've messaged Sapient. While waiting for his response, I'll give you a token of good will. Since I'm willing to debate anything with you, I welcome you to post a first draft of rules and regions of discussion. I'll more than likely accept anything you come up with. I don't want you to be able to run away. The only way I can get that from you is to let you set it up. You can even decide if iwbiek can consult. I fully accept he's better prepared and educated for it than I am. My problem is with you. You're welcome to call me anything you'd like, but I'm going to make you back it up.

Anyone who quotes Brak in their sig is fine with me, but I'm not terribly comfortable devising any rules and regions because I have no idea how any of this is supposed to be done. Iwbiek has expressed interest so I would be interested to hear what sort of rules and regions of discussion he would invoke and you and I discuss that, adding or subtracting anything from there that would take us in a direction we wouldn't want to go. My primary concern would be the Bible and how it is improperly perceived by atheists through the misrepresentation of apostate Christianity.

We could just jump right in like Marquis and Luminon seems to have done. I was actually working on a set of rules for fun that read like a Monty Python sketch but I got bored and had to give it up.

Edit: In fact, iwbiek posted this elsewhere which sounds pretty good to me. I have rendered the portions of particular interest to me in bold.

iwbiek wrote:

ok.  as i said on another thread, i'm willing to discuss the nuts and bolts of the bible.  i don't know how you're going to use it to dismantle atheism, and i'm not going to get into the wider arguments for or against god because they've already been beaten to death here on both sides of the issue, but if you really want to engage on questions of exegesis or contextualization or etiology or whatever, i'm as qualified as anyone else here to speak to those issues, and more-so than most.  just please realize that i don't stay by my computer night and day and that a decent reply might take time to prepare.  i know some people like to claim victory if their opponent has been silent for a few days.

feel free to start a thread with your biblical arguments.  just please be as concise as possible.  i hate walls of text and i have no time for them.  as far as i'm concerned, there's no need to provide sources unless asked for, as excessive citations clutter things up.  i don't think there's any need for one-on-one as i'm not necessarily looking for a debate.  i'm not sure what you're looking for.

The only thing I would change is that I'm not trying to dismantle atheism and what I am looking for is a good discussion rather than a debate, but it is hard to have a one on one debate with that sort of attitude.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
good job taking over the

good job taking over the thread with your little bitchfest, guys.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:good job taking

Ciarin wrote:

no prob

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
David Henson wrote:Anyone

David Henson wrote:

Anyone who quotes Brak in their sig is fine with me, but I'm not terribly comfortable devising any rules and regions because I have no idea how any of this is supposed to be done. Iwbiek has expressed interest so I would be interested to hear what sort of rules and regions of discussion he would invoke and you and I discuss that, adding or subtracting anything from there that would take us in a direction we wouldn't want to go. My primary concern would be the Bible and how it is improperly perceived by atheists through the misrepresentation of apostate Christianity.

Don't you mean anything that would take us in a direction you don't want to go? I've already said I will debate anything with you. You are that irrational. Stick to your guns, dammit. If you're worried about the conversation going in the direction of science because you don't know anything about it, say that. I don't care where the conversation goes.

I'll tell you now, if you want to base your arguments on some true hidden meaning of words in languages you don't speak and haven't studied, I'll demand citations. I'll also say now, if you want to hide behind definitions, I'm going to use the second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. As far as I'm concerned, it is definitive.

Ciarin wrote:

Know what is worse than bitching on the internet? Bitching about bitching on the internet, on the internet.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:Don't you

JonathanBC wrote:

Don't you mean anything that would take us in a direction you don't want to go? I've already said I will debate anything with you. You are that irrational. Stick to your guns, dammit. If you're worried about the conversation going in the direction of science because you don't know anything about it, say that. I don't care where the conversation goes.

The direction I want to go in is the Bible. I am more interested in an atheist perspective on that subject than I am my own perspective. I know what my own perspective is, I don't know what an atheist perspective might be, though I suspect it is a disinterest in the Bible. The reason I mentioned science is that it seems that everything I have said about the Bible is completely ignored, and disinterest is often stated, followed by sermons on unrelated science issues.

JonathanBC wrote:
I'll tell you now, if you want to base your arguments on some true hidden meaning of words in languages you don't speak and haven't studied, I'll demand citations. I'll also say now, if you want to hide behind definitions, I'm going to use the second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. As far as I'm concerned, it is definitive.

I don't have a problem with that. Generally I have a broader sense of words like "Religion" and "God," than most and I may point these differences out but I can accept the common usage of words like that without much fuss. Words like "hell," "day" and "cross" can be important in a discussion about the Bible but I can provide citations for those.  

Sith Lord
atheist
Sith Lord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being an atheist is for me strait forward...

Being an atheist is for me very strait forward. There are to my knowledge hundreds of religions in human history. Each claims to be true, many if not most borrow "facts" from one another, and so forth. The problem with all of them is they all basically ask you to take something as proof without proving it. All kinds of arguments are used, but the 800lb gorilla of a problem still remains.

No actual proof of the deity's existence is provided. 

You will hear many stories of what people BELIEVE, but no PROOF.  Some people for example believe everything in the bible is true. Think about this for a second. Take a story in it - say the walking on water bit - and someone tells you they can do the same thing. Would you believe them? No you would not. So, then why do you believe a book telling you someone did it? Do you suspend you beliefs just because of the book in question? I think that is a foolish thing to do.
You will see books waved around, but then again, they are written by humans, not a deity. For example, have you ever looked into how the bible was assembled? If you take a close look at it, you quickly see how it was assembled by humans and these humans put a spin on it to suit their own needs.  How convenient for them. If you were assembling a book for worshipers, would it not be advantageous to you simply to "twist"it to your own needs? Even if you did it trying not to twist it, you would do it anyway for it would be assembled in the manner you would see fit. How you see something is not how someone else sees something.
You will see claims of "divine intervention", but on closer inspection it simply goes back to the "belief without proof" problem. For example, you read a story of how someone survived for days after an earthquake being buried under rubble. People called it a miracle. Please. It was nothing more than the guy had a source of water. If you were in the same position, you too would have a chance to survive. You can survive several weeks with only water.

I could keep going, but I hope you see my point here.  I won't suspend reasonable thinking just because someone tells me if I do not worship a make believe thing I will burn forever.

Gods do not directly kill people for they do not exist...
People who worship gods kill lots of people everyday......

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
A disinterest in the Bible?

A disinterest in the Bible? No, I just think it's full of shit and now acts as a danger to society. That doesn't mean disinterest. We can get to that later though.

While we're still speaking casually, let me address something. I'm not sure that you understand the relevance of science when dealing with most theological subjects. What you see as derailing a thread by introducing science, is just getting at the underlying issue. There are parts of the Bible you cannot separate from science. Some are small and irrelevant, like rabbits chewing the cud. Some are huge, gaping holes, like the moon being a light source, or having photosynthesis without the sun. The latter two are inseparable from science. The former as well, though like I said, it doesn't really matter. Also, I'm sure there are better examples, I chose those because they appear so early in Genesis.

I won't make you defend rabbits chewing cud or pi being three, those are cheap shots, though true. But if you make a claim that is scientifically impossible, and I point it out, are you going to call foul? I'm curious.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:A

JonathanBC wrote:

A disinterest in the Bible? No, I just think it's full of shit and now acts as a danger to society. That doesn't mean disinterest. We can get to that later though.

While we're still speaking casually, let me address something. I'm not sure that you understand the relevance of science when dealing with most theological subjects. What you see as derailing a thread by introducing science, is just getting at the underlying issue. There are parts of the Bible you cannot separate from science. Some are small and irrelevant, like rabbits chewing the cud. Some are huge, gaping holes, like the moon being a light source, or having photosynthesis without the sun. The latter two are inseparable from science. The former as well, though like I said, it doesn't really matter. Also, I'm sure there are better examples, I chose those because they appear so early in Genesis.

I won't make you defend rabbits chewing cud or pi being three, those are cheap shots, though true. But if you make a claim that is scientifically impossible, and I point it out, are you going to call foul? I'm curious.

No. I expect that the discussion will touch upon science since the Bible, though not a science text book, sometimes touches upon the subject. In fact, I think the subject of science should be discussed because it is important to the majority of atheists, I just don't want everything turned into a discussion about how terribly important science is and how stupid and obsolete I am because I just don't give a fuck about it.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sith Lord wrote:Being an

Sith Lord wrote:

Being an atheist is for me very strait forward. There are to my knowledge hundreds of religions in human history. Each claims to be true, many if not most borrow "facts" from one another, and so forth. The problem with all of them is they all basically ask you to take something as proof without proving it. All kinds of arguments are used, but the 800lb gorilla of a problem still remains.

I pretty much agree with you there on the subject of religion, but the Bible itself strongly encourages its readers to test it. It speaks highly of those who do. Most people who criticize the Bible do so not out of having tested it or examined the evidence but upon the assumption they make from others who have read it, or they themselves have given it a quick consideration with that premise in mind.

Sith Lord wrote:
No actual proof of the deity's existence is provided. 

You don't question my existence because I'm writing this to you. If I tell you some things that you can test as to whether they are true or not you can in that way confirm what I have said. If I tell you some things that are difficult to believe that you can't test me on that I have personally experienced like, hypothetically speaking, that I had seen a UFO and had been abducted if everything I had ever told you was true and there was no possible alternative explanation you would be more inclined to believe what I had related to you. For me, the Bible is like that. It is eyewitness testimony that proves itself without a doubt in the areas where it is testable and in the supernatural it is trustworthy.

Most atheists have this sort of logical scientific pretense, that they must be shown the evidence, but evidence can be misinterpreted and is almost always ignored when presented to the atheist. Just look at my thread here on the soul. I explain to everyone that the soul isn't, according to the Bible, a hokey invisible part of the human that lives on after death and only one person actually got that. The rest kept attacking my idea of the soul as being an invisible hokey part of the human that lives on after death. They already have their minds made up and don't really give a rats ass about evidence.

Sith Lord wrote:
You will hear many stories of what people BELIEVE, but no PROOF.  Some people for example believe everything in the bible is true. Think about this for a second. Take a story in it - say the walking on water bit - and someone tells you they can do the same thing. Would you believe them? No you would not. So, then why do you believe a book telling you someone did it? Do you suspend you beliefs just because of the book in question? I think that is a foolish thing to do.

I heard stories of Buddhist monks who could sit in the freezing cold mountains with nothing but a diaper on for long periods of time and I didn't believe it until I seen it. I heard a story of a man and his grandchildren who were human magnets. Anything metal would stick to them. Didn't believe it until I seen it. I heard stories of children as shepherds in Ngorongoro crater who would walk up to a lion and chase it away and didn't believe it until I seen it. I heard stories of evil spirits and didn't believe it until I seen it myself. If the only things in this world that are possible are the things you believe or have seen with your own eyes there isn't much need for a continuation of science and proving and testing the things you don't know anything about, is there? When you call for proof you are really trying to fit into a reality that you are most comfortable with. You are not asking for proof.

Sith Lord wrote:
You will see books waved around, but then again, they are written by humans, not a deity. For example, have you ever looked into how the bible was assembled? If you take a close look at it, you quickly see how it was assembled by humans and these humans put a spin on it to suit their own needs.  How convenient for them. If you were assembling a book for worshipers, would it not be advantageous to you simply to "twist"it to your own needs? Even if you did it trying not to twist it, you would do it anyway for it would be assembled in the manner you would see fit. How you see something is not how someone else sees something.

Well that applies to any human endeavor, though. The same could be said of anything, and this is fairly easy to observe. This is part of the reason that I believe in the Bible. The Bible doesn't twist things. It doesn't make David out to be a flawless leader inspiring his people, he is a jerk who sent a man to his certain death so he could boink the guy's wife. And again, the Bible proves itself true.

Sith Lord wrote:
You will see claims of "divine intervention", but on closer inspection it simply goes back to the "belief without proof" problem. For example, you read a story of how someone survived for days after an earthquake being buried under rubble. People called it a miracle. Please. It was nothing more than the guy had a source of water. If you were in the same position, you too would have a chance to survive. You can survive several weeks with only water.

The word miracle is abused to that extent. Anything good that happens that is beyond expectation is attributed to God when God had nothing to do with it.

Sith Lord wrote:
I could keep going, but I hope you see my point here.  I won't suspend reasonable thinking just because someone tells me if I do not worship a make believe thing I will burn forever.

Maybe not but you will suspend reasonable thinking because you already think that you know something when in fact you haven't tested it. For example, the Bible doesn't teach that you will burn forever for any reason.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:good job taking

Ciarin wrote:

If your avatar is your actual image you have an uncanny resemblance to Lisa Marie Presley, has anyone ever told you that. Hell you might be Lisa Marie Presley in which case I would imagine people wouldn't have remarked that you resemble you.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't she like 50 or

Isn't she like 50 or something?

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:Isn't she like

Ciarin wrote:

Isn't she like 50 or something?

Yes, well, there are images of her at a younger age.