4 Step Perfect Proof for God

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
4 Step Perfect Proof for God

Step 1 - There cannot be an eternity of the past of cause and effects in nature because, having been derived from and approximated into that alleged past eternity, mankind would not still be sinning to the extent we still do along the exponential progression of conscience we are clearly on (many examples given in the link below).

Step 2 - The overwhelming preponderance of evidence is there is a cause and effect to all things in nature, even the first event, and nothing can come from nothing or start up all by itself, so the universe requires a cause.

Step 3 - Don't argue against God by misrepresenting Him. I throw this point in because this is done 99% of the time.

Step 4 -Like Step 1 there cannot be an eternity of the past of cause and effects for the same reason given but applied to supernatural events if they exist.

Conclusion: we are left with no other possibility than there must be an uncreated Creator who is alone from everlasting, nothing was created that was created without Him, and there are no gods before God, no gods besides God, and no gods after God.

The 4 Step Proof for God is a masterpiece of perfection,

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/perfectproof.htm

Therefore, realize the reason you reject the uncreated Creator doesn't have to do with evidence, for your flesh can rationalize anything away, but it is about your heart and that you prefer to remain in a state where your spirit is dead to God. Consequently you will go to Hell. You are a bad person. For there is no greater sin than the sin of rejecting your Creator. You're pointing to yourself as the center. This is a form of insanity.

Parture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Yes you

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yes you can. Just open another page or tab in your browser.

Not user friendly.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parture wrote:BobSpence1

Parture wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
they see in the light of their expectations

No, that's not what it means. It means what is shown in the 4 Step Proof for God by observing nature just as it said.

I know that is not what the writer meant, but that is all that is actually happening when people find confirmation for their religious beliefs when contemplating nature. You aren't physically seeing God, all that is happening is that what you see reminds you of your beliefs about how all this came to be. It is really that simple. Certainly nothing remotely amounting to proof that those beliefs are true.

When I look at nature, I am reminded of the relevant scientific explanations for why nature looks that way. I don't regard that as proof of my ideas, and neither should an honest believer regard his reactions to simply observing nature as proof of his.

That verse is either very naive or dishonest, just as you must be if you take it seriously.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Parture
User is offlineOffline
If you don't see me return I

Nature observation is what is meant and the 4 Step Proof for God proves through nature that there must be an uncreated Creator. That's why you can't debunk it.

Parture
User is offlineOffline
I can't stand TRRS because I

I can't stand TRRS because I can't see other posts when I am posting and always have to open up a new page and it doesn't jump to the last page after I post, but I have to click on the last page to go to it.  It takes about 60 seconds before the post takes. Very cumbersome. And I can't subscribe to a thread without getting an email. Not very advanced forums. Plus I am not getting any intellectually conscientous responses, so that is usually my que to leave. All I am doing is correcting misreading and mistaken assumptions. Boring. That's why they say atheists are dullards.

If anyone though is seeking after the truth with an honest heart, I would be happy to pick up the conversation here if you would like to start a new thread or respond to an existing one,

http://biblocality.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?375-Agnostic-Atheist

Seeya.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Parture wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
they see in the light of their expectations

No, that's not what it means. It means what is shown in the 4 Step Proof for God by observing nature just as it said.

I know that is not what the writer meant, but it is what is happening when someone 'sees' confirmation of their beliefs when they look at nature.

When I look at nature I can understand why it appears as it does from my knowledge of Science, but I would never consider that 'proves' that my understanding of nature is true.

To not acknowledge that basic human psychology, makes that verse either naive or dishonest, and you also for taking it seriously.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parture

Parture wrote:

liberatedatheist wrote:
even if it were true, it says nothing about the nature of God or hell. If God exists, then it was pretty sure he would be fairly upset that you are condemning people for him. Pretty arrogant of you don't you think? That has to be one of his favorite jobs given the state of the world. Therefore God must hate you.

We first establish God exists, so since you can't disprove the proof for God, to be an atheist is irrational.

I don't recall condemning anyone. You condemn yourself. Why blame me for your choice? That sounds obnoxious and arrogant of you.

God is simply giving you the choice. Don't blame God for your choice to go to Hell and be eternally separated from Him. That's arrogant and belligerent.

Since it is impossible to establish that God exists, the rest of your post is purely speculative nonsense.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parture wrote:Plus I am not

Parture wrote:

Plus I am not getting any intellectually conscientous responses, so that is usually my que to leave. All I am doing is correcting misreading and mistaken assumptions. Boring. That's why they say atheists are dullards.

Seeya.

After reading the 4 step link of poor arguments, rambling, fantasy, and delusions what did you expect, a mass rush of converts flooding you asking you to show them the way to "your true Christian" teaching?

You are what we call a hit and run preacher. Y'all come by to show us the err of our ways as we hate god or whatever. Y'all don't bring nary a thing new to the discussion. Then Y'all just run away. You want to talk boring, look in y'all's direction.

See Y'all

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Parture wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yes you can. Just open another page or tab in your browser.

Not user friendly.

Actually I agree about this forum software, it sucks.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was right in my original post

Parture is a wanker.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Parture is a wanker.

Had a quick peek at the forum he linked to, where the top sticky post was his 4-step Proof, apparently his handle is 'Churchwork'.

Quick look at the site home page.

What can I say but OMFG...

IOW, you have assessed him pretty accurately there.

I suspect he may have genuinely come here to give us a last chance at recanting and gaining everlasting life.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I suspect

BobSpence1 wrote:

I suspect he may have genuinely come here to give us a last chance at recanting and gaining everlasting life.

Yep, but only if we go to his website. 

skeptiform5
skeptiform5's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nature, god and the proof of his existence.

(Below is an edited version of one of Bobspence1’s previous statements until the ‘I know on many occasions’ part.)

All that is actually happening when people find confirmation for their religious beliefs when contemplating nature is that you aren't physically seeing God, all that is happening is that what you see reminds you of your beliefs about how all this came to be. It is really that simple. Certainly nothing remotely amounting to proof that those beliefs are true.

When I look at nature, I am reminded of the relevant scientific explanations for why nature looks that way. I don't regard that as proof of my ideas, and neither should an honest believer regard his reactions to simply observing nature as proof of his.

I know on many occasions I have heard many people tell me that when I hit my head or bang my toe or break an arm, it's god punishing me but could it just be because my head was in the way of something, I wasn't looking were I was walking and I fell over skiing. When people look at nature they are reminded about one thing, that thing could be scientific explanations or possibly the classic, god did it. 

I'm not an atheist or a Christian or a believer in god; I am nothing at the moment and the 4 step proof of god hasn’t proven anything and I am not now going to suddenly change my non-existent views of the Universe and start believing in god because of its sheer failure of actually proving something in the first place.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymous wrote:There cannot

Anonymous wrote:

There cannot be an eternity of the past of cause and effects in nature

nothing can come from nothing or start up all by itself, so the universe requires a cause.

cannot be an eternity  applied to supernatural events

He's saying there cannot be an uncaused cause either naturally or supernaturally, and yet....

Anonymous wrote:
there must be an uncreated Creator who is alone from everlasting
....his god is uncaused.

Classic case of special pleading right there.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Partrue, are you really that dense?

Wow, those supposed "proofs" look like they came out of a "Dr"(forever in quotes) Kent Hovind video. Those are supposed to prove the existence of deiti(es), yet they do the same job as Phrenology has done for explaining brain activity and personality. Partrue, if this "4 step proof" thing sounds logical or realistic in any way to you, I advise you seek treatment for your mental health, since falling for this CreaNerthal bullshit proves your I.Q. rests with the rutabagas.

Apokalipse, you beat me too it: How can an uncaused god be the creator of the universe that itself needed first causes? If things need a beginning cause, what about god? If not everything needs a begining, why would you need god to start something that could have existed forever. Partrue the CreaNerthal may have hit and run, but it doesn't mean the refutations of his crazy woo woo bullshit have to cease. So on, in chronological order!

1)Assumptions abound. First, the time scale of your "evidence" is all based on the assumption that there is some sort of human sin quota. "Mankind would not still be sinning to the extent we still do along the exponential progression of conscience we are clearly on". Clearly? The assumption is that, to you, god already "exists", at least in your head and that any "proofs" can be based on assuming it to begin with. Wow... utter fail.

2)Another assumption. It's you fundie CreaNerthals claiming the nothing from nothing thing, not most atheists I personally know, myself included. We don't think the universe is without a first cause, we just find it so improbable that an intelligent being (which would have to be at least as complex as the universe itself, if not much more so) caused it from its special La La Land that it is a non issue. Much the same as worrying if Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu kids get visited by a real Santa Clause. But I won't argue against the universe needing a first cause.. what I will argue with is the assumption you make in the next step.

3)Assumption: that arguments against god arise from misrepresenting it. This begs the question; which god(s) are being misrepresented here? Misrepresenting god to debate it is like misrepresenting Santa Clause as actually having a green suit to diminish his holiday popularity. It's another non issue based on a fictional character you keep referencing back to to prove its own existence. Sounds a little circular to me... And now on to the whopper!

4)You really need to learn how to structure a sentence. WOW. It sounds like you are saying that "supernatural" events are affected by the impossibility of an eternity of cause and effect, so how do you get to the answer being a uncreated powerful interventionist deity that is outside of all that. That just adds an extra lair to the ultimate question of the start of everything. That sound like a 'just so' kind of an answer and that itself is no answer.

Your conclusion is based on the assumption that there is an uncreated creator god who is the only thing that never began, yet exists. That instead of logically proving that it does not exist, we reject it (word choice based on assumption of its existence) purely because our blood pumping organ has some plan that is foiled by our rationalizing flesh (which is somehow given reasoning skills). Then an assumption that there is a spirit of energy that is us, yet immortal. Then an assumption based on claims made by just one religion out of thousands, obviously right though because its the one that Partrue believes in. Then an assumption as to our moral character. Which brings up this question: if theists are so sure we atheists are immoral because we don't believe in a cosmic dictator, it means that the only reason they are good is fear of eternal punishment, and not because of their own good morality. If you are good because you know it's right and you react to empathy and kindness, you are a good person. If it takes fear of punishment not to rape, pillage, murder, and torment your fellow living creatures, then you are a sick horrible person.

The whole thing was the kind of "proof" for deiti(es) that makes no sense unless you take the deiti(es) existence as a given, which it is not. You claim that we are the arrogant ones for dismissing your kooky nonsense, while you are saying that to your cosmic deity, (which is the correct one, because that's the one you believe in) the creator of everything except itself, your religious sect is the center of universal importance. For one subset of one species on one tiny rock within the vastness of the universe we all find ourselves a part of to claim to be the holders of the "REAL TRUTH" and, obviously, the center of god's concentration and affection, is so self centered as to be bordering on narcissism. And we're the arrogant ones for pointing this out. HA!

So in closing, another hit and run preacher afraid for his illogical faith in the solid gaze of reason bails on the party. What a surprise! And please DO let the door hit you on the way out. Then maybe people will be able to see you for what you are Partrue: either an idiotic sheeple bleating the same things you heard other sheeple bleat, or you are a pragmatic liar who sees a future in religious apologetics and is willing to exploit human ignorance to satisfy either your ego or your wallet or both. I hope you like assumptions now!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Parture wrote:I can't stand

Parture wrote:

I can't stand TRRS because I can't see other posts when I am posting and always have to open up a new page and it doesn't jump to the last page after I post, but I have to click on the last page to go to it.  It takes about 60 seconds before the post takes. Very cumbersome. And I can't subscribe to a thread without getting an email. Not very advanced forums. Plus I am not getting any intellectually conscientous responses, so that is usually my que to leave. All I am doing is correcting misreading and mistaken assumptions. Boring. That's why they say atheists are dullards.

If anyone though is seeking after the truth with an honest heart, I would be happy to pick up the conversation here if you would like to start a new thread or respond to an existing one,

http://biblocality.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?375-Agnostic-Atheist

Seeya.

I think I agree with most of that, this is the worst forum software I've ever used.

I won't rehash the other arguments though, it is pretty clear the responses some have given you were far more in-depth than your original idea.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Parture is a wanker.

Had a quick peek at the forum he linked to, where the top sticky post was his 4-step Proof, apparently his handle is 'Churchwork'.

Quick look at the site home page.

What can I say but OMFG...

IOW, you have assessed him pretty accurately there.

Yikes.  The post on biblocality is like a single throbbing fallacy.  It is almost like he tries to be a poster child of how not to argue for theism rationally...I would think he was joing if it was not obvious he spent so much time on it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Now I am depressed though. 

Now I am depressed though.  I can usually forget that these people exist, until someone like this comes along.  It is a big emotional bummer to me that there are so many people that you simply can't reason with.

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Damasius

BobSpence1 wrote:

Damasius wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
We know that our Big-Bang Universe has not existed forever, but there could well have been, or still may be, an infinite number of such Universes within a larger Universe, or 'Metaverse', which do not interact significantly, if at all, with us, so do not affect our history.

So the possible existence of an infinite past for existence as a whole is not logically inconsistent with our experience of a very finite history of human life as we know it within this particular sub-Universe.

Yes, there are conceptual difficulties when you introduce the idea of infinity anywhere. 

There is no logical inconsistency or contradiction in your scenario, that is the nature of infinite numbers. 

A simple example is the mathematical concept of the sum of an infinite converging geometric series, such as 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... < for an infinite number of terms >.

The result is finite, equal to 2.

None of the terms is zero, there are an infinite number of them, but the finite result is mathematically, and therefore logically, valid. Infinite quantities don't lend themselves to naive logical arguments.

The "larger universe" is certainly not inherently contradictory, given the assumption that something could have existed forever - it has fewer difficulties than the God Hypothesis, since it is an extrapolation of our observable Universe, whereas God is the pure speculation.

Quote:

Moreover,The greates problem with the “larger universe” is that it would have created our universe an infinity ago. If the “larger universe” has existed forever, and it has the ability to create universes, then it would have never created our universe a mere 15 billion years ago as some suggest. If 15 billion years ago, why not 16? The conditions for creating the universe would have already existed for an eternity. There is simply no way that the “Super-cosmos” could create our universe unless our universe has existed eternally. so massive problems straight out of the gates right there.

You are wrong again. You did not follow my argument. If the probability of BB event occurring in any given interval of time is finite, analogous to the well-defined probability that a specific type of radio-active nucleus will decay in a given time interval, then there will have been an infinite number of such events if this multiverse has always existed. if the BB 'sub'-universes eventually die, there may only be a finite number in existence at any one time. Maybe none at times, depending on their typical lifetime and the average rate at which they appear. 

We happen to be in one of them, and it popped into existence about 15 billion years ago. If there is any one around in our Universe in 10 billion years, then from there viewpoint it will have come into existence 25 billion years ago.

Look at the example of radioactive decay. The properties of an unstable nucleus that allow it to decay have always existed, yet it doesn't decay immediately. It might decay now, or it might 'wait' for a million years. It behaves according to the laws of probability and pure 'randomness'. I am just assuming that BB events behave in a similar way to this well-observed phenomena

We are talking about reality, an actual infinite leads to logical contradictions thats a fact,  your '' greater cosmos'' hypothesis is fatally flawed and totally lacking evidential support. In fact, it is merely an added hypothesis tossed in the mix to support the idea of an eternally existing universe.

Oh and naive logical arguments?? is that the term you used? I suggest oppening a book or 2 and educating yourself.

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
   ''2. There is

''2. There is overwhelming evidence that there are uncaused events, such as the spontaneous decay of unstable atoms. To prove empirically that such events are actually caused would require finding the cause. Failure to find the cause does not prove they are uncaused, but unless you do find the cause, you cannot prove that it is caused.

And even if there was no quantum theory, framing this as an empirical argument based on observation destroys it, because observation cannot prove that there are no uncaused events, especially in the case of one-of-a-kind events such as the appearance of our Universe.'''

This comes as a great surprise to me because it seems obvious that nothing will never create something,  but ok lets look at what proofs you have to bring here,

1: spontaneous atom decay, and you go ahead saying that since we cannot find a cause it does not prove that it is caused or uncaused.

did I miss the overwhelming evidence ???

Given our experience of cause and effect and given the meagre evidence you have to offer I think its safer to reject your absurd postulat: that something can happen uncaused.

A more promising road would be to argue about quantum vacuum fluctuations.

PS: English being not my mother tongue I hope this is remotely comprenhisible to the readers, if not well.... waddayawant...

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:BobSpence1

Damasius wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Damasius wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
We know that our Big-Bang Universe has not existed forever, but there could well have been, or still may be, an infinite number of such Universes within a larger Universe, or 'Metaverse', which do not interact significantly, if at all, with us, so do not affect our history.

So the possible existence of an infinite past for existence as a whole is not logically inconsistent with our experience of a very finite history of human life as we know it within this particular sub-Universe.

Yes, there are conceptual difficulties when you introduce the idea of infinity anywhere. 

There is no logical inconsistency or contradiction in your scenario, that is the nature of infinite numbers. 

A simple example is the mathematical concept of the sum of an infinite converging geometric series, such as 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... < for an infinite number of terms >.

The result is finite, equal to 2.

None of the terms is zero, there are an infinite number of them, but the finite result is mathematically, and therefore logically, valid. Infinite quantities don't lend themselves to naive logical arguments.

The "larger universe" is certainly not inherently contradictory, given the assumption that something could have existed forever - it has fewer difficulties than the God Hypothesis, since it is an extrapolation of our observable Universe, whereas God is the pure speculation.

Quote:

Moreover,The greatest problem with the “larger universe” is that it would have created our universe an infinity ago. If the “larger universe” has existed forever, and it has the ability to create universes, then it would have never created our universe a mere 15 billion years ago as some suggest. If 15 billion years ago, why not 16? The conditions for creating the universe would have already existed for an eternity. There is simply no way that the “Super-cosmos” could create our universe unless our universe has existed eternally. so massive problems straight out of the gates right there.

You are wrong again. You did not follow my argument. If the probability of BB event occurring in any given interval of time is finite, analogous to the well-defined probability that a specific type of radio-active nucleus will decay in a given time interval, then there will have been an infinite number of such events if this multiverse has always existed. if the BB 'sub'-universes eventually die, there may only be a finite number in existence at any one time. Maybe none at times, depending on their typical lifetime and the average rate at which they appear. 

We happen to be in one of them, and it popped into existence about 15 billion years ago. If there is any one around in our Universe in 10 billion years, then from there viewpoint it will have come into existence 25 billion years ago.

Look at the example of radioactive decay. The properties of an unstable nucleus that allow it to decay have always existed, yet it doesn't decay immediately. It might decay now, or it might 'wait' for a million years. It behaves according to the laws of probability and pure 'randomness'. I am just assuming that BB events behave in a similar way to this well-observed phenomena

We are talking about reality, an actual infinite leads to logical contradictions thats a fact,  your '' greater cosmos'' hypothesis is fatally flawed and totally lacking evidential support. In fact, it is merely an added hypothesis tossed in the mix to support the idea of an eternally existing universe.

Oh and naive logical arguments?? is that the term you used? I suggest oppening a book or 2 and educating yourself. 

Is that your only response? 

Yes infinities really should be avoided, there are intrinsically problematic aspects when an argument even implies such a possibility. Although the work of Cantor does show that the concept of infinities, 'transfinite numbers', can be addressed to a useful extent.

We need to be careful applying standard logical arguments when dealing with such things.

The 'naive logical arguments' are clearly the ones in the original argument.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:   ''2.

Damasius wrote:

''2. There is overwhelming evidence that there are uncaused events, such as the spontaneous decay of unstable atoms. To prove empirically that such events are actually caused would require finding the cause. Failure to find the cause does not prove they are uncaused, but unless you do find the cause, you cannot prove that it is caused.

And even if there was no quantum theory, framing this as an empirical argument based on observation destroys it, because observation cannot prove that there are no uncaused events, especially in the case of one-of-a-kind events such as the appearance of our Universe.'''

This comes as a great surprise to me because it seems obvious that nothing will never create something,  but ok lets look at what proofs you have to bring here,

1: spontaneous atom decay, and you go ahead saying that since we cannot find a cause it does not prove that it is caused or uncaused.

Given our experience of cause and effect and given the meagre evidence you have to offer I think its safer to reject your absurd postulat: that something can happen uncaused.

PS: English being not my mother tongue I hope this is remotely comprenhisible to the readers, if not well.... waddayawant...

It's funny how you have a problem with something coming from nothing while defending the Christian doctrine (of which something coming from nothing is a basic tenet).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote: ''2. There

Damasius wrote:

I did not offer proofs of a-causality, just evidence. 

And I note you omitted the second part of my sentence "but unless you do find the cause, you cannot prove that it is caused." which is a vital part of the argument.

The 'overwhelming evidence' IS the existence of quantum phenomena, and the total absence of any indication of a causal mechanism, taken together with the 'overwhelming evidence' for QT being an accurate and valid theory, despite it being so counter-intuitive, which is basically the category ( intuitive 'knowledge' ) your prime objection falls into  - "it seems obvious that...".

This is all you offer as a counter, and labelling the proposition as 'absurd', along with distortions of my argument. Even your statement that "nothing will never create something" is a conceptually vacuous idea. The use of the word 'create' proves an archaic origin of the statement itself or of the 'thinking' behind it. Now if it had been expressed as "an absence of an identifiable prior state of existence cannot determine any particular subsequent state", we might have something to address.

We do not in most cases actually experience 'cause and effect', what we observe is a consistent association between various pairs of events, and we deduce 'cause and effect', or simply label the event sequence as an example of such. In many cases, proper scientific investigation has shown a that the prior event may indeed have changed the state of the local environment such that the probability of the second event being triggered immediately is virtually 100%. This is the valid way to describe what is happening - 'cause and effect' is a somewhat simplistic notion, derived from ordinary observation of pairs or sequences of tightly linked events where there each event is overwhelmingly dominant in determining the timing of the next one in the sequence.

Much of what actually happens in reality is not like that - there are many contributing factors to what 'happens' in any particular time and location, and most of what happens is a more or less continuous process. Cause and effect concepts are not so 'obviously' applicable. At the extreme of this range of observations are quantum events, where it seems that the 'cause' amounts to 'the state of the universe'...

The God thing is a more patently absurd proposition.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:It's funny

jcgadfly wrote:
It's funny how you have a problem with something coming from nothing while defending the Christian doctrine (of which something coming from nothing is a basic tenet).

I have always been amazed by how wide spread this is. Why can't they see they contradict themselves?

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I can manage an answer to

I can manage an answer to this.

This objection seems fails to recognize that God has existed eternally and thus requires no cause. I think that Christians don’t mean that “Whatever exists requires a cause”, but rather, “Whatever begins to exist requires a cause”. Therefore, since God never began to exist, He does not require a cause.

Moreover, it is argued that, if one admits that God does not require a cause if He does not have a beginning, then we should be within rational confines to claim that the universe did not have a beginning and does not require a cause. However, as already mention, there are numerous philosophical and scientific evidences ( the big bang) against the eternality of the universe. This was already shown in my previous post to another user here.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:I can manage

Damasius wrote:

This objection seems fails to recognize that God has existed eternally and thus requires no cause. I think that Christians don’t mean that “Whatever exists requires a cause”, but rather, “Whatever begins to exist requires a cause”. Therefore, since God never began to exist, He does not require a cause.

Moreover, it is argued that, if one admits that God does not require a cause if He does not have a beginning, then we should be within rational confines to claim that the universe did not have a beginning and does not require a cause. However, as already mention, there are numerous philosophical and scientific evidences ( the big bang) against the eternality of the universe. This was already shown in my previous post to another user here.

The existence of a God is pure conjecture, and not demonstrated to be necessary.

Something that exists still requires explanation for why it exists rather than not.

The attributes of whatever may have been a' first cause', beyond its ability to initiate a Big Bang or whatever may have been the initial event in a Meta-Universe within which the Big Bang occurred, if there indeed was such a beginning, are logically unknowable with any certainty. Especially if it is assumed to be sentient.

The Big Bang is not evidence that there was nothing in existence before it occurred.

A series of assumptions and/or naked assertions do constitute a proof of anything.

Your argument is totally without merit. 

God is the ultimate fallacy.

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Damasius

BobSpence1 wrote:

Damasius wrote:

Moreover, it is argued that, if one admits that God does not require a cause if He does not have a beginning, then we should be within rational confines to claim that the universe did not have a beginning and does not require a cause. However, as already mention, there are numerous philosophical and scientific evidences ( the big bang) against the eternity of the universe. This was already shown in my previous post to another user here.

The existence of a God is pure conjecture, and not demonstrated to be necessary.

Something that exists still requires explanation for why it exists rather than not.

The attributes of whatever may have been a' first cause', beyond its ability to initiate a Big Bang or whatever may have been the initial event in a Meta-Universe within which the Big Bang occurred, if there indeed was such a beginning, are logically unknowable with any certainty. Especially if it is assumed to be sentient.

The Big Bang is not evidence that there was nothing in existence before it occurred.

A series of assumptions and/or naked assertions do constitute a proof of anything.

In light of what you have just posted I think the intelligent way for you would be to simply say '' I don't know'' which is a worlds difference between the militant atheism that is advocated on this website,  If there is one thing that is certain it is that God will never be proven to exist with certainty, and I also think it is supposed to be that way, if God was a proved fact we would not have any choice to believe, however god gives us free choice in belief so that there may be belief out of love and not of fear, to believe without seeing, is the highest form of belief and respect, this being said I think there are many events in ones life rather than acting as absolute proof is a cumulative case that leads to belief in God.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:BobSpence1

Damasius wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Damasius wrote:

Moreover, it is argued that, if one admits that God does not require a cause if He does not have a beginning, then we should be within rational confines to claim that the universe did not have a beginning and does not require a cause. However, as already mention, there are numerous philosophical and scientific evidences ( the big bang) against the eternity of the universe. This was already shown in my previous post to another user here.

In light of what you have just posted I think the intelligent way for you would be to simply say '' I don't know'' which is a worlds difference between the militant atheism that is advocated on this website,  If there is one thing that is certain it is that God will never be proven to exist with certainty, and I also think it is supposed to be that way, if God was a proved fact we would not have any choice to believe, however god gives us free choice in belief so that there may be belief out of love and not of fear, to believe without seeing, is the highest form of belief and respect, this being said I think there are many events in ones life rather than acting as absolute proof is a cumulative case that leads to belief in God.

So just admit you do not know.

The success of the scientific endeavour is accumulating evidence against a sentient interventionist deity - IOW we can go further in the argument against the existence of conventional ideas of God than "I don't know".

Trying to find a virtue in belief without justification or evidence of any sort is really stupid, and could be used to justify almost anything.

Whatever may have been true in your life encouraging your (probably pre-conceived) beliefs is not manifest in all lives, certainly not in mine. My increasing insight into the world, both from reading and direct observation of many different cultures across the world, has lead me in very much the opposite direction. The tendency for experience to re-inforce existing beliefs is a well-understood aspect of human psychology, so we must all be on guard against it, and discount purely intuitive judgements.

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
            I

I think that what is clear now that we are entering into the postmodern era is that we don’t have any a better answer to the ‘’ why are we here’’ question then the medieval scholars had many centuries ago, so It would seem like a bold position to adopt Militant atheism, But then again so would adopting blind faith, in my case I had to chose, It was impossible for me to chose ‘’ I don’t know’’ so I chose hope over a worldview that is counterproductive and useless, just go see the vids this site has posted on youtube, blasphemy challenges and the likes, surely there is a problem somewhere. This is all just my personal opinion of course. I would now suggest a little introspection on your part, what’s the use of militant atheism? You might not know but the values of the western world were inherited from Christian values, we are in contact with these values everyday of our lives, all of these, fidelity in marriage, love for one another, forgiveness are all values that we are in contact with everyday of our lives.   The ‘’certainly not in mine’’ has a certain meaning here. We should question now the foundation of your militant atheism? Why is it that you hold to a certainty that God does not exist? Certainly I have given you my reasons, now I wish to know yours, some people are activists for global warming for such and such, why are you an activist for atheism?

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote: It was

Damasius wrote:

It was impossible for me to chose ‘’ I don’t know’’

Why?

Quote:

so I chose hope over a worldview that is counterproductive and useless,

Like believing that the earth was the center of the universe was counterproductive?  Like believing that evolution is wrong is counterproductive?  One worldview doesn't interfere with science, and it isn't the religious one.

Quote:

I would now suggest a little introspection on your part, what’s the use of militant atheism?

To get people to understand that something they think is true is actually interfering with their ability to be unbiased about reality.

Quote:

You might not know but the values of the western world were inherited from Christian values, we are in contact with these values everyday of our lives, all of these, fidelity in marriage, love for one another, forgiveness are all values that we are in contact with everyday of our lives.  

You might not know that those emotions existed before religion did, so they aren't a product of religion, it's actually the opposite.

Quote:

Why is it that you hold to a certainty that God does not exist? Certainly I have given you my reasons, now I wish to know yours, some people are activists for global warming for such and such, why are you an activist for atheism?

Mine is more on a semantics basis.  The concept of god is so convoluted with multiple meanings and definitions that it is erroneous to associate people on their theistic status.  Also, almost all definitions rely on the existence of the supernatural, a concept that doesn't even work semantically.  Consequently, theists hold their beliefs to a standard of factual truth when they fail to realize that their belief is just that, a BELIEF.  It isn't true, and it need not be toted as such.  It's pretty annoying when someone tells you you are wrong because you don't agree with what they BELIEVE, isn't it?  Atheism means a LACK of belief in god.  I am not positing anything about reality, other than admitting I don't know everything about it.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote: I think

Damasius wrote:

I think that what is clear now that we are entering into the postmodern era is that we don’t have any a better answer to the ‘’ why are we here’’ question then the medieval scholars had many centuries ago, so It would seem like a bold position to adopt Militant atheism, But then again so would adopting blind faith, in my case I had to chose, It was impossible for me to chose ‘’ I don’t know’’ so I chose hope over a worldview that is counterproductive and useless, just go see the vids this site has posted on youtube, blasphemy challenges and the likes, surely there is a problem somewhere. This is all just my personal opinion of course. I would now suggest a little introspection on your part, what’s the use of militant atheism? You might not know but the values of the western world were inherited from Christian values, we are in contact with these values everyday of our lives, all of these, fidelity in marriage, love for one another, forgiveness are all values that we are in contact with everyday of our lives.   

The ‘’certainly not in mine’’ has a certain meaning here. We should question now the foundation of your militant atheism? Why is it that you hold to a certainty that God does not exist? Certainly I have given you my reasons, now I wish to know yours, some people are activists for global warming for such and such, why are you an activist for atheism?

I don't know of any atheist who considers themselves "militant".  I think this is a term that has been coined by a theist society that isn't used to atheists actually speaking up. However, I don't think that simply speaking out against irrational thinking is in any way "militant".  Theists are just not used to being confronted. But as long as people keep knocking on my door to prosthelytize, I will respond with my own views and points.  As long as others are out there that wish to force their beliefs in law, I will speak out against it. And I don't own a gun, so I am not sure how "militant" I can be. So your flaw is that you are loading the question by using the term "militant atheism" when many of us wouldn't even consider the term valid. EDIT: Corrected spelling error. 

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Why we are here?" in the

"Why we are here?" in the sense of an ultimate reason or purpose is purely subjective, so is unlikely to ever be answered definitively.

"Why we are here?" in the sense of what processes or events lead to our form of life emerging on this world, well that has made enormous strides since medieval times.

To repeat my previous observation, the evidence is that high religiosity does not lead to a more functional society, and we have surpassed many of the values of those times, as with rights for women, and explicit rejection of slavery, and elimination of many petty taboos.

Religion replaces the real basis for morality (empathy, cooperation, avoidance of unnecessary harm) with a set of arbitrary legalistic commandments.

The existence of God does not fit well with the emerging picture of the Universe that we gain from ever more detailed investigation. It is an unnecessary idea which only introduces another entity to be explained. It is the reverse of an explanation for existence, that is why we reject it.

To me, 'militant atheism' is a consequence of a passionate belief in the importance of the honest pursuit of truth and knowledge, and opposing the forces of unenlightenment.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be a militant religious

To be a militant religious person, you have to fly planes into buildings, massacre people in synagogues or mosques, or blow up abortion clinics. To be a militant atheist, you have to vocally disagree with religion.

Partrib (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Jesus is Going to Return Very Soon

You don't have to be an atheist killing millions like Stalin did or in a false religion of any kind killing millions of Chiristians like Islam or the Roman Church do.

You can literally be born-again, a child of God, forgiven in Christ, given eternal life which is not just eternal blessings to be in the New City, but an ability with the Holy Spirit indwelling your new spirit to have a relationship with God's Son even now.

Who did Jesus ever kill? If everyone was Christlike, there would be no more Atheists, wars, Muslims and Roman Catholis. No Hindus, no Buddhists, no more rancid posters on rationalesponders.com.

Let us pray one day it will happen. Amen.

When the parousia commences 2015/2016, the Tribulation commences lasting 7 years, then Jesus steps down on the mount of olives and reigns with His overcomers believers for 1000 years on earth.

"Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven" (Acts 1.11).

Parture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Will Return Soon

You don't have to be an atheist killing millions like Stalin did or in a false religion of any kind killing millions of Chiristians like Islam or the Roman Church do.

You can literally be born-again, a child of God, forgiven in Christ, given eternal life which is not just eternal blessings to be in the New City, but an ability with the Holy Spirit indwelling your new spirit to have a relationship with God's Son even now.

Who did Jesus ever kill? If everyone was Christlike, there would be no more Atheists, wars, Muslims and Roman Catholis. No Hindus, no Buddhists, no more rancid posters on rationalesponders.com.

Let us pray one day it will happen. Amen.

When the parousia commences 2015/2016, the Tribulation commences lasting 7 years, then Jesus steps down on the mount of olives and reigns with His overcomers believers for 1000 years on earth.

"Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven" (Acts 1.11).

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parture wrote:When the

Parture wrote:

Every few years someone or a group of people predicts that the second coming will occur at some particular date in the near future. Every single time, without fail, those people were wrong. Why should we think that you alone are right in knowing the date of Jesus's return? And where did you get the 2015/2016 date from?

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Parture

Jormungander wrote:

Parture wrote:

Every few years someone or a group of people predicts that the second coming will occur at some particular date in the near future. Every single time, without fail, those people were wrong. Why should we think that you alone are right in knowing the date of Jesus's return? And where did you get the 2015/2016 date from?

The real sad thing is that when 2015/2016 passes and nothing of earth shattering theological importance happens people like Parture and Luminon will just pretend it they never brought it up, and stagger along to the claim.

Personally, if my beliefs were staked on a prophecy and that prophecy fell through, I would hope I could do some serious introspection and see if my beliefs were, well, wrong.  But if a person is willing to think like that, they usually wouldn't get sucked into crap like that in the first place.

But yea, Parture knows the "real, true, we really, really mean it this time!  Really!" day of tribulation.  Just like every other Christian has for the last 2,000 years.  You know, the ones that were wrong.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Jormungander

mellestad wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

Parture wrote:

The real sad thing is that when 2015/2016 passes and nothing of earth shattering theological importance happens people like Parture and Luminon will just pretend it they never brought it up, and stagger along to the claim.

Personally, if my beliefs were staked on a prophecy and that prophecy fell through, I would hope I could do some serious introspection and see if my beliefs were, well, wrong.  But if a person is willing to think like that, they usually wouldn't get sucked into crap like that in the first place.

But yea, Parture knows the "real, true, we really, really mean it this time!  Really!" day of tribulation.  Just like every other Christian has for the last 2,000 years.  You know, the ones that were wrong.

Hell, the Seventh Day Adventist built their entire church that the second coming would happen in 1844.  It didn't, and yet a group of people stayed with the church.  Go figure.

Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
kidvelvet wrote:mellestad

kidvelvet wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

Parture wrote:

Hell, the Seventh Day Adventist built their entire church that the second coming would happen in 1844.  It didn't, and yet a group of people stayed with the church.  Go figure.

Hey, I might not exist if it wasn't for those guys. My maternal grandfather was an SDA when their latest 'prediction' was that it would all happen in 1914. He decided he wanted to get some action in before it all happened, so he rushed to marry the woman who became my grandmother. At least that was the story that was told in the family.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you kidding me you guys?

Damasius wrote:
we don’t have any a better answer to the ‘’ why are we here’’ question then the medieval scholars had many centuries ago

WTF?!?!?! Have you been living under a rock since the Enlightenment or something? Because we have a MUCH GREATER understanding of that question then medieval scholars did. "Why am we here?" is a ridiculous question. We are here because our ancestors did that most "evil" of thing and procreated. Our descendants, whatever species they may be, will be able to answer the same way, only with us in the lineage as well procreating to create their existence! I'm sorry to burst your arrogant bubble, but our species isn't so important as to be the deciders of some epic cosmic battle for the entire universe. You may think that you and the other people who follow your delusion are the ones saving the entire universe for (enter your delusion here). Me, I'm not that arrogant or self-centered.

Parture wrote:
If everyone was Christlike, there would be no more Atheists, wars, Muslims and Roman Catholis. No Hindus, no Buddhists, no more rancid posters on rationalesponders.com.

Parture, you crazy Creanderthal, if everyone was Christ like, then none of us would be here today as Christ was supposed to be a perpetual virgin. Only by committing that most un-Christ like of actions were your parents able to bring you screaming into this world, so either off yourself or have a little more respect for the UN-Christ like actions that enabled you to be here today experiencing life. As to the idea that there would be no more wars and such, that's ridiculous. Just because you buy the bullshit in your safety blanket you call the "Holy Babble" doesn't mean it's real. All I see is someone just like Linus from Peanuts; too afraid of the world to deal with it without the false sense of security your blanket (myths and dogma) provide you.

Being Christ like, isn't that having women throw themselves on you and deciding to instead go hang out with your sausage fest of 12 male friends? By that definition, I have met quite a few men living a VERY Christ like life. I thought that Romans, Leviticus, and Corinthians had a little to say about that kind of thing though...

Parture wrote:

Parture, people have been claiming the end of the world since we realized the significance of our own deaths. NONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN CORRECT! They have all been deluded quacks and have been shown to be wrong, hence why we're still here. All you have is the ravings of some deluded people you claim to have "THE TRUTH!" I have an idea Parture. Lets see how much you believe the end is near. Lets meet up in the time you say that Jesus will return for his 1000 years of global dictatorship. 7 years from 2015/16 would be 2022/23. I already have agreements like this with people I know for Dec 21, 2012 so I'm already prepared for events like these. We will wait for Jesus to come back at the appointed time. If he comes down to start his millennium of global dictatorship and there is proof, I will acknowledge it's existence. I will never worship nor do the bidding of any tyrant, not one in the sky and not one here on earth. But I will acknowledge it's existence. But, Parture, if it doesn't happen, you will have to agree that you were wrong. This is your chance to prove a "militant atheist" wrong. I can handle reality, even if I don't completely like what I see... can you?

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parture wrote:When the

Parture wrote:

When Prophecy Fails

An early version of cognitive dissonance theory appeared in Leon Festinger's 1956 book, When Prophecy Fails. This book gave an inside account of belief persistence in members of a UFO doomsday cult, and documented the increased proselytization they exhibited after the leader's "end of the world" prophecy failed to come true. The prediction of the Earth's destruction, supposedly sent by aliens to the leader of the group, became a disconfirmed expectancy that caused dissonance between the cognitions, "the world is going to end" and "the world did not end." Although some members abandoned the group when the prophecy failed, most of the members lessened their dissonance by accepting a new belief, that the planet was spared because of the faith of the group.

Sound familiar?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Irony meter is at 1000%!!!!!!

Di66en6ion, your comment about them is so true, sadly they don't see the irony we do. Oh well, if we can't convince them of the obvious, we can always point and laugh!

No Gods, No Masters!

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:kidvelvet

BobSpence1 wrote:

kidvelvet wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

Parture wrote:

Hey, I might not exist if it wasn't for those guys. My maternal grandfather was an SDA when their latest 'prediction' was that it would all happen in 1914. He decided he wanted to get some action in before it all happened, so he rushed to marry the woman who became my grandmother. At least that was the story that was told in the family.

Ha!  That is pretty funny!

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I think il let you have fun

<<To be a militant religious person, you have to fly planes into buildings, massacre people in synagogues or mosques, or blow up abortion clinics. To be a militant atheist, you have to vocally disagree with religion.>>

I think il let you have fun and find the falacy in you'r own post by yourself.

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The question may be

<<WTF?!?!?! Have you been living under a rock since the Enlightenment or something? Because we have a MUCH GREATER understanding of that question then medieval scholars did. "Why am we here?" is a ridiculous question. We are here because our ancestors did that most "evil" of thing and procreated. Our descendants, whatever species they may be, will be able to answer the same way, only with us in the lineage as well procreating to create their existence! I'm sorry to burst your arrogant bubble, but our species isn't so important as to be the deciders of some epic cosmic battle for the entire universe. You may think that you and the other people who follow your delusion are the ones saving the entire universe for (enter your delusion here). Me, I'm not that arrogant or self-centered.>>

The question may be ridiculous to you, but it is not a ridiculous question for everyone, just because you say so does not make it so. Secondly, why do you view procreating as evil? am I missing some form of sarcasm? if you think the bible says its wrong to procreate I suggest you open one and actually read its content. Thirdly you said ''our descendants whatever species they may be'' I would be curious on how our descendants could be of another specie, to use a term employed by you. Forthly I must admit I was surprised at the stawman of my position made by you, never have I talked about ''deciders of the universe'' or ''cosmic battle'' and finnaly the irony in your last entry: claiming not to be arrogant.

Good day.

Damasius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
<<Atheism means a LACK of

<<Atheism means a LACK of belief in god.  I am not positing anything about reality, other than admitting I don't know everything about it.>>

Atheism, as defined by any standart philosophy or encyclopedia is the doctrine that there is no God, its more agressive than simple lack of a belief in God, its militant atheism, for the idea that there is no God, I think we can also talk about Dissonance cognitives with the idea that Atheism is merly the lack of a belief and reality: atheism being a certitude that there is no God. If it was simply ''we dont know'' like you'r postition seemes to imply at the very end of you'r post that would be closer to a form of agnosticism, but not atheism.  If we talk about atheism being some form of lack of belief, then I am an atheist regarding any obscur cult or religion I have never heard about, however as soon as I '' hear about'' or ''Know'' I can formulate an oppinion and reject, accept or say '' I don't know'' to accept is theism, to reject is atheism and '' I don't know '' agnosticism.

I hope this helps.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Attitudes to the God concept

Attitudes to the God concept are not well described by a simple linear spectrum.

One dimension is the inclination to accept or reject the concept, another is the confidence in being able to justify that position, a third is how much you care about or have seriously thought about the whole subject.

But hey, the simple linear idea is good enough for philosophy.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:I hope this

Damasius wrote:

I hope this helps.

Can a deity be natural and not supernatural?  My main point is that I will posit that a supernatural god is irrational for humans to believe in, partly by what I said regarding the semantics of the supernatural.  At the point where I admit there could be a god naturally, I am so far removed from the typical definition that they aren't reconcilable views.  Hence me being an atheist, gods, typically supernatural, do not exist by the errancy of something 'being supernatural' and providing relevant information.

Technically, I'll argue that atheism is a lack of belief, as that is its definition.  Agnostics, by definition, are atheists.  'Militant atheism' is a fairly negative label put on atheists because of their minority status.  Fundamentalists aren't typically referred to as 'crazy fundamentalists,' so I don't see why we have the label 'militant' for being the least bit outspoken about our position.  We don't call you militant, do we?  I ask you to stop using that term and use 'positive' or 'unapologetic' or something.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parture wrote:We first

Parture wrote:
We first establish God exists, so since you can't disprove the proof for God, to be an atheist is irrational.

Are you referring to the argument in the OP?

There's not much to disprove there. The argument isn't even valid. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:Atheism, as

Damasius wrote:
Atheism, as defined by any standart philosophy or encyclopedia is the doctrine that there is no God, its more agressive than simple lack of a belief in God, its militant atheism, for the idea that there is no God, I think we can also talk about Dissonance cognitives with the idea that Atheism is merly the lack of a belief and reality: atheism being a certitude that there is no God.

Cognitive dissonance? Lol. It's a disagreement over semantics.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism 

2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity

b : the doctrine that there is no deity

The first definition here is compatible with the view that theism/atheism is a dichotomy. This is also implied by the words themselves. Theism: belief in God. A-theism: without belief in God.

If you want to define both theism and atheism as claims of certainty while defining agnosticism as everything in the middle, then okay, I'm an agnostic. Note, however, that agnosticism would then have to represent more than just "I don't know." 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damasius wrote:<<To be a

Damasius wrote:
<<To be a militant religious person, you have to fly planes into buildings, massacre people in synagogues or mosques, or blow up abortion clinics. To be a militant atheist, you have to vocally disagree with religion.>>

I think il let you have fun and find the falacy in you'r own post by yourself.

I guess my tongue-in-cheek comment, pointing out the absurdity of attributing 'militant' to vocal disbelief in god/s when other uses of the word are references to actual violence is completely beneath you, your highness. But please, do go on about 'falacy'.