Quantum Mechanics discussion with more than ten words.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Quantum Mechanics discussion with more than ten words.

There, now I can reply properly.

Seriously, cheaters breaking the ten word rule and expecting me to be able to explain the totality of Quantum Mechanics in ten words...

Bell's inequality proves that the quantum effects in question are without cause of any kind- proven causeless, not just a hidden cause- because if they had a cause, it would create impossible paradoxes in terms of relativity by making possible the propagation of information instantaneously through quantum entangled particles.

To those misguided naysayers:

A negative can be proven far more easily than a positive- I don't know what idiot came up with the "you can't prove a negative" argument, but it doesn't become any rational person.  Negatives are proven by demonstrating something to be contradictory with itself, or a proven positive- positives are the hard ones to prove, because one has to demonstrate that it's the only remaining possibility by proving the alternatives negative, or contradictory in some way.

In regards to the proof, though:

Instantaneous information propagation is fine if it's one way, and can't make a round trip- one can't cause paradoxes that way, because the fastest one could send that information back (in this hypothetical universe where it's only possible one-way) would be the speed of light, and so you'd only get the information back at the time you received it.  If it propagated instantly in both directions, that would allow information to propagate backwards in time and interfere with its sending, or its own nature.

All sorts of crazy.

Anyway, not only can no variable be sampled to tell us what the particle will be, no variable can exist to give this information until after the event of "collapse".

Bell's, in the context of quantum entanglement and relativity, proves well enough that the information in the universe is non-causal in nature (So much for creator deities).  This doesn't mean it isn't explained- Einstein was right to reject Copenhagen's interpretation, as it is absurd; he didn't live long enough to get the concepts behind many-worlds (which explains it, or necessitates it), however unfortunate.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:A-causality and

Blake wrote:

A-causality and indeterminism are different things.  Something can be determinate without being causal- and all things are objectively deterministic (in the sense of definite fact of reality, not just applied mathematics).

A-causal determinism- as does not relate to time, like pi, or 2^0.5 (the way many-worlds is determinate objectively)

Causal determinism- as relates to time/chronology

Relative indeterminism- theoretically indeterminate from a reference frame (includes QM from our reference frame- and debatably some chaotic functions which would require more computing power than that possible within our causal sphere; which I think is Bob's point)

Practical indeterminism- Things that are deterministic/not theoretically impossible to determine, but which are practically impossible (this is where I think chaotic functions belong- even if determining them would violate incompleteness).

BobSpence1 wrote:

But it is still, by definition, indeterminate. And we do not have the knowledge, even theoretically, to calculate the initial conditions to infinite precision. We are trying to calculate the equivalent of the square root of a number which is approximately 2.

I don't think the philosophical idea of determinism ever assumed that we could know this number- just that if we did, we could calculate things.  Of course, this runs into issues like the limit in memory within our universe- incompleteness and such.  I don't believe this invalidates the consideration of it being deterministic, though.

I think you may be right, at least away from bifurcation points.

I think what I recall as being making a chaotic system more unpredictable, making it possible for infinitesimal 'errors' or differences in initial conditions to lead to arbitrarily large differences in outcome after a finite time, is the presence of bifurcations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifurcation_theory.

There are also implications of Catastrophe Theory, which is related.

From the general article on Chaos Theory:

Quote:

What had been beforehand excluded as measure imprecision and simple "noise" was considered by chaos theories as a full component of the studied systems.

I am a little rusty on the details of this stuff, but it is coming back to me, with the help of the Web and Google.

I have a book which I read a while ago, which really got me into this area: "Order out of Chaos" by Ilya Prigogine & Isabelle Stengers. I am sure I have a few others, but they are currently buried in my "heap" system.

BobSpence1 wrote:

A proposition I am suggesting is that the 'cause' is whatever defines the laws of the Universe.

Only insofar as pi is caused- I think using that word (cause) is more prone to confuse people than not.

I think our differences here are largely semantic.

Quote:

Quote:
I means that that such events are not 'caused' by any clearly identifiable event. That would be inconsistent with the observations. This is what all experiments and observation have shown - the specific timing is unaffected by anything we are able to change, or have observed changing, it cannot be any single object affecting all such atoms, because they all decay at unrelated times.

More importantly, they must be uncaused, or the conclusions would be inconsistent with logic.  Unless we throw out our observations of quantum entanglement (and pretty much all QM that predicts it).

The more I think of this, stimulated by these discussions, the more this makes sense. The timing of a quantum event intrinsically, logically, cannot be 'caused ' by, or correlated with, another 'event', unless that event itself also displays the same 'random' timing behaviour.

Which means that there still has to be at least one 'uncaused' event for any such sequence. It is this total insensitivity to the state of any other object, at least with regard to the timing of an event, that is intrinsic to a truly 'random' event.

I agree that 'causation' is a questionable concept now, or at the very least carries far too much medieval/metaphysical baggage, which I meant to convey by regularly putting references to it in 'scare' quotes.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Paisley

Blake wrote:

Paisley wrote:

However, for the sake of argument, let's assume the two are one and the same. Does this imply that physical events are occurring without physical causation? Yes or no?

That's a weighted question with several false assumptions, but to answer what you're trying to ask:  No, it doesn't imply that.  It MANDATES that physical events are occurring without ANY causation (including any hoodoo voodoo) at all.  A-causal quantum effects (relatively indeterminate) are proof against the hoodoo you support.

Translation: A-causal quantum effects are proof (in your mind) for MWI because causal-indeterminism is unacceptable to the materialist worldview.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Blake

Paisley wrote:

Blake wrote:

That's a weighted question with several false assumptions, but to answer what you're trying to ask:  No, it doesn't imply that.  It MANDATES that physical events are occurring without ANY causation (including any hoodoo voodoo) at all.  A-causal quantum effects (relatively indeterminate) are proof against the hoodoo you support.

Translation: A-causal quantum effects are proof (in your mind) for MWI because causal-indeterminism is unacceptable to the materialist worldview.

No, many worlds is logically necessitated through the nature of waves- to put it in terms of bare-bones simplicity, one can not construct a particle from a mess of waves.  The Copenhagen interpretation relies on the universe as viewed as a particle; and this yields some obviously dubious results (even beyond the assumption).

"Causal-indeterminism" is both incoherent and nonsensical (like the concept of "free will" )- it is its own logical disproof, and it doesn't need discussing. 

I suspect any atheist here can poke holes in it without my help; I defer you to them if you wish to apologize for this kind of nonsense. 

I would suggest that you start a new thread for this purpose, if you want to discuss that.  This one is already rather long, and it might not be noticed here.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Blake

Paisley wrote:

Blake wrote:

Paisley wrote:

However, for the sake of argument, let's assume the two are one and the same. Does this imply that physical events are occurring without physical causation? Yes or no?

Translation: The existence of truly uncaused events, ie with neither 'physical' or any other type of 'causation', is unacceptable to the Paisley Dualistic world-view, because you want to use the lack of physical causation to 'prove' the necessary existence of non-physical causation.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Paisley

Blake wrote:

Paisley wrote:

No, many worlds is logically necessitated through the nature of waves- to put it in terms of bare-bones simplicity, one can not construct a particle from a mess of waves.  The Copenhagen interpretation relies on the universe as viewed as a particle; and this yields some obviously dubious results (even beyond the assumption).

Whatever. There is no scientific evidence for parallel worlds - none, NADA! An atheist making the argument that the "many worlds" interpretation is based on logical necessity is analogous to the theist arguing that the cosmological argument is based on logical necessity. Despite the high-level mathematics involved, the many worlds interpretation is a metaphysical argument, not a scientific theory. It makes no new predictions beyond the Standard interpretation and it is not falsifiable. Also, infinite minds and quantum immortatility are implied by MWI. I would say that smacks of quantum hoodoo voodoo (to use your term).

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Translation: The existence of truly uncaused events, ie with neither 'physical' or any other type of 'causation', is unacceptable to the Paisley Dualistic world-view, because you want to use the lack of physical causation to 'prove' the necessary existence of non-physical causation.

That you are employing scare quotes to qualify the term causation is very telling. If you despense with causation, then all we are left with are correlations and observations.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Whatever.

Paisley wrote:

Whatever. There is no scientific evidence for parallel worlds - none, NADA!

Like, totally, what-ever.

Like, there is no, like, scientific, like, evidence that 2 = 2!  None, like, ZIP!

*Unless* we did a silly thing such as accept logic as a necessary qualifier of truth which supersedes empiricism, which would allow us to look at the premises that lead to that conclusions of many worlds as evidence for that conclusion.

But no, you likely wouldn't dare accept something like that would you?  You're probably a dialetheist insofar as it conveneinces your dogmas.  You've admitted already to being open to an idea only because you think it agrees with your dogmatic preconceptions.

Quote:
An atheist making the argument that the "many worlds" interpretation is based on logical necessity is analogous to the theist arguing that the cosmological argument is based on logical necessity.

In so far as both arguments appeal to rationalism- yes.  Insofar as they have anything else in common- no.  Many arguments appeal to rationalism through the application of premises and logic.  That's kind of how things get done.

Some subtle differences:

The deductions that lead to many worlds are founded in solid, objectively verified, scientific premises.

The deductions that lead to various theistic arguments are founded in numerous superfluous assumptions as premises.

The deductions that lead to many worlds are sound.

The deductions that lead to the theistic arguments are circular, and refer back to bunk premises.

I do have some respect for apologists who genuinely attempt to use reason to prove their god, because at least they have accepted the idea of rationalism itself.  Unfortunately, they're doing it wrong.

Not too terribly much respect for the practice of those people who just copy the arguments of those apologists, though.

Quote:
[blah blah...] not a scientific theory. It makes no new predictions

It doesn't need to be, it's more of a conclusion.

However, like all things, it's logically falsifiable- it's just not false.

I don't believe in unfalsifiable statements.  Logic itself is the ultimate metric of falsifiability by way of contradiction, and all things are subject to it.

Quote:
Also, infinite minds and quantum immortatility are implied by MWI.

Not at all and Sort-of, respectively.

See my post in this thread:  http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/19110 

Enjoy.

Quote:
I would say that smacks of quantum hoodoo voodoo (to use your term).

The former, yes.  "many/infinite minds" is beaucoup hoodoo.  The latter is partially true- it is only hoodoo voodoo to the extent that it is false (that is, the absurd assumption of a "conscious observer" being necessary- the idea of a "conscious observer" is derived from a misunderstanding of Copenhagen, and has nothing to contribute to many worlds). 

As a caveat, though, it is also limited by the extent of possibilities within the quantitized structure of space-time, which are very large, but may or may not contain anything approaching an infinite number of configurations for a given universe.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

That you are employing scare quotes to qualify the term causation is very telling. If you despense with causation, then all we are left with are correlations and observations.

I am simply qualifying that 'causation' as traditionally conceived, is too simplistic to be applied to the linkages between one state of existence and the next.

All we actually observe are indeed "correlations and observations", of course. Anything beyond that is just conceptual 'sugar' we apply to it in our mental model of "how things work".

'Causation' is simply a label for very tight and consistent correlations. Where there is no such correlation, as in many quantum scale events, it is not applicable.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I am simply qualifying that 'causation' as traditionally conceived, is too simplistic to be applied to the linkages between one state of existence and the next.

All we actually observe are indeed "correlations and observations", of course. Anything beyond that is just conceptual 'sugar' we apply to it in our mental model of "how things work".

'Causation' is simply a label for very tight and consistent correlations. Where there is no such correlation, as in many quantum scale events, it is not applicable.

Interesting. What about "time?"

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Time is defined by the sequence of successive states. This description seems to imply that Time moves in discrete steps, ie is 'quantized'. There is no good evidence either way at the moment, but in any case, once the changes of energy from one 'state' to another get down into the quantum/Planck scale, the question becomes literally uncertain.

For an article discussing this issue, see https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-time-quantized-in-othe.

In practice, we just let the step-by-step description be a manageable approximation that approaches the reality as the time increment tends to the limit of zero, as in the language of ifferential calculus.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am simply qualifying that 'causation' as traditionally conceived, is too simplistic to be applied to the linkages between one state of existence and the next

Time is defined by the sequence of successive states. This description seems to imply that Time moves in discrete steps, ie is 'quantized'. There is no good evidence either way at the moment, but in any case, once the changes of energy from one 'state' to another get down into the quantum/Planck scale, the question becomes literally uncertain.

For an article discussing this issue, see https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-time-quantized-in-othe.

In practice, we just let the step-by-step description be a manageable approximation that approaches the reality as the time increment tends to the limit of zero, as in the language of ifferential calculus.

I thought you may have dispensed with the notion of time because it appeared in your previous post that you dispensed with the notion of causality (or at least gave it a very arbitrary designation). That's what prompted my question.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am simply qualifying that 'causation' as traditionally conceived, is too simplistic to be applied to the linkages between one state of existence and the next

I thought you may have dispensed with the notion of time because it appeared in your previous post that you dispensed with the notion of causality (or at least gave it a very arbitrary designation). That's what prompted my question.

Apart from Relativity considerations, at the level of particle interactions, all individual interactions are considered reversible, or symmetric, with respect to time.

The 'arrow of time' seems to arise as a statistical or probabilistic aspect of interactions of many particles, and is closely related to the concept of Entropy. A classic case is the diffusion of gases. It is theoretically possible that all the molecules in a container of gas could all be collected in one corner, but we essentially never see this, as all the distributions of the molecules that we would perceive as 'orderly' amount to such an extremely small fraction of all the possible arrangements that we 'never' see it. It could never persist for more than a brief period of time anyway.

Starting from a position of order, 'driven' by an un-structured set of forces, the probability of the next state being less ordered is normally vastly more likely than an equally or more ordered state. This is one way of looking at what leads to the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

A local decrease in disorder requires an input of energy and some structured constraints. But this is getting away from strictly quantum mechanical discussions.