Quantum Mechanics discussion with more than ten words.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Quantum Mechanics discussion with more than ten words.

There, now I can reply properly.

Seriously, cheaters breaking the ten word rule and expecting me to be able to explain the totality of Quantum Mechanics in ten words...

Bell's inequality proves that the quantum effects in question are without cause of any kind- proven causeless, not just a hidden cause- because if they had a cause, it would create impossible paradoxes in terms of relativity by making possible the propagation of information instantaneously through quantum entangled particles.

To those misguided naysayers:

A negative can be proven far more easily than a positive- I don't know what idiot came up with the "you can't prove a negative" argument, but it doesn't become any rational person.  Negatives are proven by demonstrating something to be contradictory with itself, or a proven positive- positives are the hard ones to prove, because one has to demonstrate that it's the only remaining possibility by proving the alternatives negative, or contradictory in some way.

In regards to the proof, though:

Instantaneous information propagation is fine if it's one way, and can't make a round trip- one can't cause paradoxes that way, because the fastest one could send that information back (in this hypothetical universe where it's only possible one-way) would be the speed of light, and so you'd only get the information back at the time you received it.  If it propagated instantly in both directions, that would allow information to propagate backwards in time and interfere with its sending, or its own nature.

All sorts of crazy.

Anyway, not only can no variable be sampled to tell us what the particle will be, no variable can exist to give this information until after the event of "collapse".

Bell's, in the context of quantum entanglement and relativity, proves well enough that the information in the universe is non-causal in nature (So much for creator deities).  This doesn't mean it isn't explained- Einstein was right to reject Copenhagen's interpretation, as it is absurd; he didn't live long enough to get the concepts behind many-worlds (which explains it, or necessitates it), however unfortunate.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Paisley

Blake wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Yeah, pick your poison - quantum indeterminacy or nonlocality. Either way, materialism is dealt a deathblow.

Blake wrote:

Bell's, in the context of quantum entanglement and relativity, proves well enough that the information in the universe is non-causal in nature (So much for creator deities).  This doesn't mean it isn't explained- Einstein was right to reject Copenhagen's interpretation, as it is absurd; he didn't live long enough to get the concepts behind many-worlds (which explains it, or necessitates it), however unfortunate.

Yeah, what evidence do you have for the existence of many-worlds?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Yeah, what

Paisley wrote:

Blake wrote:

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Yeah, what

Paisley wrote:

Blake wrote:

I see what you're saying there.  If you extend the principle of randomness through an infinite period of time, having random "big bangs" with variable starting energies, one essentially arrives at the same infinitely more complex series of information as does many worlds.  So, it's not necessarily less complex-- or even different.

Where I find many worlds more balanced is simply this:

Everything in the universe thus far as been demonstrated to be a true wave; why wouldn't the universe itself be one too?  The universe being a wave is essentially what many-worlds is saying (although in a more metaphorical way).  *Can* one build a particle of a universe from waves?  I believe that therein lies the primary contradiction.

Copenhagen also leads to some very conceptually strange explanations- some would as absurd.  Many worlds is clean and symmetrical (not that aesthetics is a proof).

It seems to me that Occam's razor would favor many worlds- particularly as it also offers an explanation of the random information, and just stopping at random fails to do that while still leading into infinite complexity when thought out.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Paisley

Blake wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I see what you're saying there.  If you extend the principle of randomness through an infinite period of time, having random "big bangs" with variable starting energies, one essentially arrives at the same infinitely more complex series of information as does many worlds.  So, it's not necessarily less complex-- or even different.

Where I find many worlds more balanced is simply this:

Everything in the universe thus far as been demonstrated to be a true wave; why wouldn't the universe itself be one too?  The universe being a wave is essentially what many-worlds is saying (although in a more metaphorical way).  *Can* one build a particle of a universe from waves?  I believe that therein lies the primary contradiction.

Copenhagen also leads to some very conceptually strange explanations- some would as absurd.  Many worlds is clean and symmetrical (not that aesthetics is a proof).

It seems to me that Occam's razor would favor many worlds- particularly as it also offers an explanation of the random information, and just stopping at random fails to do that while still leading into infinite complexity when thought out.

But you're providing what essentially amounts to a metaphysical explanation, not scientific evidence. Having said, that, I don't have a particular problem with the "many worlds" interpretation just as long as you acknowledge that you are engaging in speculative metaphysics. Also, the "many minds" interpretation is a logical extension of the many worlds interpretation. Therefore, an argument for the many worlds interpretation is an indirect argument for the many minds interpretation which is a direct argument for a pantheistic conception of God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-minds_interpretation

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Actually,

Blake wrote:

Actually, English minor-

So what was your major?

Blake wrote:

We used degrees, and that's a strange vector notation ( |x> ? ) , 

Its a ket vector. A vector in the space of possible states.

Quote:

which would be 45 degrees ....

..... (and if I do the trig, I can see that they are both one-half).  So by either count (taking only the X component, or cos^2 of the angle) we'd get half of it out by filtering it that way.

Ok, I'm officially a little surprised that you can handle some real optics... but I remain reserved.

Blake wrote:

Question for you:

We get light emission from electrons striking a surface which does not conform to the quantized emission energies expected from the surface material- whence comes this light?

Do you mean Compton Scattering?

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:I don't know

Blake wrote:

I don't know what sets her off so easily, but I would rather make light of a situation and joke about it.  I just don't get riled up like that,

How do you suppose you even know I was riled up? I mean, you said I was a lot of times but that doesn't make it true.

Fact is, and I have said it more than once now - I am not and was not emotionally affected by your taunting. I was merely calling it on the piss poor debating form that it is.

Quote:

I'm also not always very politically correct.

Oh, isn't that a nice rationalisation for unbecoming behaviour.

Quote:

I hope all of you will forgive me if what I said wasn't at all funny here. 

Ad hominem is bad form in any debate setting, Blake.

This is not about personal insult, you keep appealing to that but you're wrong, it's got nothing whatsoever to do with it being unfunny or too personal - you're a complete stranger, I couldn't possibly care less what you think of me - it is about whether there is any substance to your debate points. And while you're busily insulting me and calling me names, obviously, there isn't any substance in it and you're wasting our time.

Quote:

I don't have anything against Eloise, beyond her being seemingly irrational- but that's common to all of the theists- and I will debate with a theist if said theist has something remotely sensible to say.

For example, this:

Eloise wrote:

Because with just inherent randomness producing a single state your theory needs to account for the lost information.

Sensible enough for me to argue against.  Wrong, but sensible.

There's no need to "account for" lost information- it can simply be lost. 

I would have thought it was pretty obvious from my suggestion of 'collapse' as an account that by 'account for lost information' I meant account for how it is lost.

Edit to add emphasis on the point----------------------------

or in other words, just to be clear, to account for the fact that information is lost in such a process. You can't just say - a single state is more parsiminous - because it assumes one more entity (a something that renders the remaining states null) than a theory which preserves the information...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse supposes some phenomenon inherent in measurement accounts for it. But, as I said, it's gotten us nowhere and is rightlfully lower on the popularity scale than theories such as many worlds which say the information is not lost.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:partly

BobSpence1 wrote:

partly because we have disagreed with each other on Relativity/Quantum stuff in the past.

If I recall correctly all we have ever disagreed on are some minor points in physical interpretation. I recall you especially didn't find any joy in my substantival interpretation of space-time in one of the intelligence threads, I'm almost certain you're referring to that...  but, all in all, it was a matter of we disagreed on what follows from relativity, not on what comprises the theory of relativity.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Eloise

butterbattle wrote:

Eloise wrote:
Well my suspicion comes from the fact that he's been a member for just under a week. He's taken no time to establish himself a standing in the forum community at all before presenting himself at the badges thread claiming to have a degree in English Arts with a Physics Minor and

1. I don't believe it's possible to even cross faculties that way, can such a quaification even exist? I know it cannot in my university.

I see no reason why he couldn't be an English major with a physics minor. It's definitely possible at my university; these two majors would actually be in the same college, "college of arts and science,"

Oh, ok. Where I'm at the Science faculty is married to the IT school, and Arts school couldn't be considered any more remote from us. I believe it's possible to apply for cross faculty study but the degree requirements would make a minor in a core science inaccessible without spreading the workload over your other discipline, I doubt anyone would even try to get approval for it, but I could be worng about that.

Quote:

so although they're quite unrelated, it would be easier for someone to have English/physics than, say, English/mechanical engineering. All you would need to do is take all the necessary classes to fulfill the requirements for each.

http://www.washington.edu/uaa/gateway/advising/majors/minor.php

"Or you might choose to minor in a subject completely unrelated to your major; this is completely legitimate, too. For example, if you major in mechanical engineering but are fascinated by the theatre, you might decide to minor in drama."

Fair enough. That's probably a more traditional approach come to think of it. Where I am you have an elective stream which you can use for basically anything in or out of your faculty but taking your minor outside the faculty is not a simple option one can just choose.  This may be a local quirk though so I'll stand corrected on this point.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:BobSpence1

Eloise wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

partly because we have disagreed with each other on Relativity/Quantum stuff in the past.

If I recall correctly all we have ever disagreed on are some minor points in physical interpretation. I recall you especially didn't find any joy in my substantival interpretation of space-time in one of the intelligence threads, I'm almost certain you're referring to that...  but, all in all, it was a matter of we disagreed on what follows from relativity, not on what comprises the theory of relativity.

This is only as much to the point that a Young Earth Creationist can acknowledge all of the evidence in the fossil record, and then conclude that this is proof of his or her god- because why else would the devil go to so much trouble to plant that conclusive evidence to trick us?

It is the understanding of the rational implications of science that constitute the understanding of science itself; that is the entire point.  Imposing your own personal whim over rational interpretation is not science.  

Without that rational interpretation, all it amounts to is a useless list of measurements and numbers- that might be right up your ally as a 'math' person, but that only qualifies understanding to the degree that the paper upon which a book is printed understands what is printed upon it.

Blake wrote:

We get light emission from electrons striking a surface which does not conform to the quantized emission energies expected from the surface material- whence comes this light?

Eloise wrote:

Do you mean Compton Scattering?

No.

Eloise wrote:

I was merely calling it on the piss poor debating form that it is.

My refusal to dignify absurdities with argument is poor debating?

Dawkins does the same these days with regards to evolution, I believe, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with ad-hominem.

I've already countered your points, and I've done it succinctly.

For your information, I also won't gratify a Flat-Earthers, or a Young Earth Creationists with extensive argument either.

I evaluated your arguments for their own sake- not for your lack of rationality.  Your lack of rationality was my reason for not humoring you with additional, extensive, explanation.

The ad-hominem, as you interpreted it, was not argument against your points, but my reason for not spending more time arguing with you.

Eloise wrote:
it is about whether there is any substance to your debate points.

Precisely my argument against you.  You've said very little worth responding to, so I just *didn't* respond to it, or I responded with the only thing that needed to be said.  And when you did say something worth addressing, I responded to it- as you saw.  

I was not using ad-hominem to debate your points, but to explain why I'm not going to bother arguing with you; because I wouldn't enjoy it, and it would serve as no use to anybody.

Much like Paisley's arguments, if it's not even rational or sane enough to risk confusing anybody, there's no point in responding to it.  My "ad-hominem" was merely my explanation as to why I don't want to waste time trying to convince *you*.

*You* aren't liable to actually learn anything, so my point here is not to educate you or change your mind, which probably can't be done.  

If somebody *else* asks about it or makes a comparable point, however, that would indicate that you did succeed in sewing confusion- so I'm glad to address those points for the sake of others who *are* capable of critical thinking.  They may still be wrong, but they can change their minds.

You've only demonstrated more and more that you are barely capable of critical thinking, if that, and beyond that are paranoid, over-sensitive, and aggressively so.

Obviously the fact that you are stubborn and dogmatic has nothing to do with your arguments themselves, but if your arguments are also useless to your cause, there's no reason countering them unless my goal is a headache.

I'm not interested in discussing your more absurd assertions any more than I'm interested in arguing for the shape of the Earth or the fact of evolution.  I don't have a problem calling them what they are- absurd- without giving a counter argument, because I don't think it would help anybody here (seeing as it should be evident to anybody reading that your arguments are just that).

Make a point worth responding to, and I'll have no alternative but to respond to it.  You just aren't in the habit of doing this.

There is only one other way I would argue with you- and that is if you were to show me that I'm wrong about your irrational dogmatism.  

There are several points of evidence that serve against that purpose:

1. Your high post count, indicating lengthy participation on this forum while still possessing a theist badge- considering the fine debaters here, this doesn't indicate that you have been in a habit of changing your mind in the face of reasoning.

2. Your act of accusing me of being a theist, which is really just too silly to address further.

3. Statements from other forum members which indicate your lack of rationality in other discussions.

Now, that's not proof positive, of course.  You may have just been extremely lucky to avoid your views being challenged here.  You may just be lying in your belief of my being a theist to annoy me.  Other forum members may have been mistaken.

However, I'm going to have to go with the preponderance of evidence on this one until given reason to believe otherwise.

If anybody can point to an argument where you have demonstrated an open mind, and have disregarded an irrational belief that you held in favour of reason in opposition to your personal emotional preferences (not just been corrected on a fact you are indifferent to, or rationalizing it away), then I would have no choice but to admit that you very well may be amenable to reason on this topic.

If, on top of that, you would be more polite, I would be happy to do my best to correct you where you have been in error.

Eloise wrote:

I would have thought it was pretty obvious from my suggestion of 'collapse' as an account that by 'account for lost information' I meant account for how it is lost.[...]

or in other words, just to be clear, to account for the fact that information is lost in such a process. You can't just say - a single state is more parsiminous - because it assumes one more entity (a something that renders the remaining states null) than a theory which preserves the information...

It need only assume the same property that yielded the randomness to begin with.

Quote:
But, as I said, it's gotten us nowhere and is rightlfully lower on the popularity scale than theories such as many worlds which say the information is not lost.

Because it has "gotten us nowhere" is not why it is wrong.  I explained why it's wrong; go back and read my prior posts if you want to know.

That's like saying "belief in god makes people better, so god is real".

Though you have incidentally stumbled on *one* lucky belief that is rational, you still fail to understand why it is so, instead referencing fallacies to support your argument- so in this case, even when you're right (by luck, I presume), you seem to be right by coincidence, for irrational reasons.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Stuff... Don't

Blake wrote:
Stuff...

Don't get too cocky Blake, I gave you some rope yesterday and look what you've done with it.. proceeded to hang yourself royally, haven't you.

You're no 'expert' in Quantum Physics if you have to ask what  ket vector is. It is standard Dirac notation, you know, the Mathematical notation that is used for Quantum Physics, if you don't know it, then you don't really know the first thing about Quantum physics.

So... you don't know Hilbert Spaces and you call the first rule of Special Relativity an absurdity not worth responding to. How dare you call yourself a physicist?

I'm done here. If the rest of you want to embarrass yourselves giving this phony plagiarist prick the time of day, thats your business, but he's not getting a free ride on my back anymore.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Much like

Blake wrote:

Much like Paisley's arguments, if it's not even rational or sane enough to risk confusing anybody, there's no point in responding to it.  My "ad-hominem" was merely my explanation as to why I don't want to waste time trying to convince *you*.

The only one confused here is you. The "many-worlds" interpretation of QM is just that - an interpretation. It's not a scientific theory. It makes no new predictions. And there is absolutely no scientific evidence for other universes (not unless you are willing to accept the evidence provided by parapsychology). And if you refuse to respond to my post, then I will conclude (and rightly so) that you are conceding the point that MWI qualifies as nothing more than a metaphysical belief.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Blake

Paisley wrote:

Blake wrote:

Bell's inequality proves that the quantum effects in question are without cause of any kind- proven causeless, not just a hidden cause- because if they had a cause, it would create impossible paradoxes in terms of relativity by making possible the propagation of information instantaneously through quantum entangled particles.

Yeah, pick your poison - quantum indeterminacy or nonlocality. Either way, materialism is dealt a deathblow.

All events, whether mental, such as conscious choices, or purely physical, happen from some mix of deterministic and random effects. 

Even determinism, in the old sense, is not really an accurate model of how QM models what we would have called deterministic processes.

Prior to any 'event', the total state of reality makes various subsequent states possible to varying degrees. If only one very precisely defined oucome is likely and everything else is of extremely low likelihood, that is the kind of sequence that we traditional would regard as deterministic, ie causal. If there is more than one possible outcome, and they are of equal likelihood, that is classic randomness, like an ideal die or coin-flip. Actual events are a mix of these states. If there are two possible outcomes, and one is of low but constant likelihood, that matches the process of radioactive decay, where in the next time-increment, it will either decay or not, according to a fixed probability.

If there is only one identifiable state of reality which is relevant to calculating the outcome, that we identify as a cause, and the outcome as its effect.

If there are many aspects of the state of reality which influence the outcome to a significant degree, 'cause' becomes a more problematic label. This is close to what we see in weather events, such as Hurricanes, at the extreme level.

This picture is another way of interpreting what we observe, and is closely allied to the MWI. Such interpretations provide valuable frameworks for us to 'get our heads around' new and unfamiliar data, and so help us devise ways to further investigate the subject. They are not theories, they are important tools to help formulate new hypotheses which hopefully provide improved theories.

Conscious choices which are not based on some prior information or thought, ie a 'cause' , are the equivalent of a coin-flip, ie, random. If you have a reason for your choice, that is a cause.

Quantum randomness is only a 'deathblow' to the idea that materialism implies pure determinism. That assumption was already shaky from the implications of chaos theory.

Actual events, at either the physical or mental level, have varying degrees of randomness.  The results of actual thought processes contain low degrees of of randomness, therefore randomness cannot be evidence of the existence of conscious will.

Random events clearly can be generated by physical processes, typically via radioactive decay, or approximated as closely as desired by high-order pseudo-random algorithms.

Quantum results show that randomness, acausality, is a fundamental aspect of physical reality. Making obsolete old ideas of the nature of reality.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Don't get too

Eloise wrote:

Don't get too cocky Blake, I gave you some rope yesterday and look what you've done with it.. proceeded to hang yourself royally, haven't you.

Not so much, but I'm glad you've committed to leaving the conversation, as you weren't really saying anything worth responding to.

Quote:
You're no 'expert' in Quantum Physics if you have to ask what  ket vector is. It is standard Dirac notation, you know, the Mathematical notation that is used for Quantum Physics, if you don't know it, then you don't really know the first thing about Quantum physics.

I only minored in Physics because I had little interest in doing all of the math work involved (I never took differential equations, if you want to use that to argue against me too, only calculus)- my interest is in quantum theory and its implications, and not as much in the application, and my primary application has been in explaining physics metaphorically to philosophy groups and apologists, where their misinterpretations involve fallacy (and I've actually learned more in having to explain and argue it than I've learned in classes). 

I haven't touched anything like Dirac notation for something like four years- and even then, I was more interested in understanding it conceptually, than in being able to work the equations.  Math just isn't useful for convincing people, or explaining anything- or, at that level of complexity, in understanding.

"Getting" the math is pretty far removed from actually getting the ideas themselves, on a conceptual level.  The latter has always been my priority.  I believe you, yourself, are a great example of how understanding the math doesn't result in understanding the theory itself. 

Mathematics is the most conservative branch of "the sciences" for good reason- mathematical logic is so abstracted and removed from actual conceptual understanding it permits the practical ignorance required to hold onto conceptually conservative beliefs. 

How many Young Earth Creationists are mathematicians who think they can use mathematics to disprove evolution?  I've seen quite a few.

I have nothing against studying the math, in particular, though- when I'm presented with it, I can work out the general meaning (as I have done twice so far in this thread)- I'm more interested in the history, though, and the deductive logic involved in drawing realistic consequences from the evidence.

I'm a thought experiment person; I'm only interested in the math insofar as I need it and it is useful to me.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:And if you

Paisley wrote:
And if you refuse to respond to my post, then I will conclude (and rightly so) that you are conceding the point that MWI qualifies as nothing more than a metaphysical belief.

This is not the case.  I can't be bothered to go back through my posts and find another quote just for you.  If you wish to understand why this is not the case, you may go back through my posts and read them for yourself.

If anybody else is curious, I'm happy to explain- but you are not curious, and any words I type will be wasted on you; particularly as I have already addressed this.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:This

BobSpence1 wrote:

This picture is another way of interpreting what we observe, and is closely allied to the MWI. Such interpretations provide valuable frameworks for us to 'get our heads around' new and unfamiliar data, and so help us devise ways to further investigate the subject. They are not theories, they are important tools to help formulate new hypotheses which hopefully provide improved theories.

I agree that they are not theories, but I think you might disagree with why I do.

I also contend that evolution (as a process that occurs- not necessarily to imply a specific history) is not a theory- but a deductive fact.

Given the premises associated with DNA, mutation, and natural selection, evolution is a consequence of those things which can be derived from deductive logic (we can easily simulate it on a computer too, which is good fun).

Obviously if the premises are flawed, the conclusion may be too- but insofar as they hold (and few people would argue them; and no evidence exists that they don't), the conclusion remains a true fact, arrived at through deduction.

A theory is one of many possible explanation for observed phenomena that is consistent with the evidence- a deductive fact concluded from the evidence is something substantially more significant, and may not make any predictions beyond the premises that lead to it.

If we accept quantum mechanics and relativity as they have been observed, and we reject Hidden variable for Bell's, and Copenhagen for absurdity (or whatever other reasons we bring to bear), then the deductive conclusion is Many-Worlds.

A deductive fact may not be any more useful to science than a theory, but in philosophy it speaks volumes more- and *that* makes it incredibly useful as a counterpoint to many absurdities theists bring to the table.

Quote:
Conscious choices which are not based on some prior information or thought, ie a 'cause' , are the equivalent of a coin-flip, ie, random. If you have a reason for your choice, that is a cause.[...] The results of actual thought processes contain low degrees of of randomness, therefore randomness cannot be evidence of the existence of conscious will.

Of course when causality is dominant to such a degree over any other factors, this is already an argument against "free will", as it's not properly free of causality anyway (I'm not sure if this is what you meant).

I think it's also prudent to add to this, for clarification, that such a basis for will (even if causality is disregarded) is not a "free will" as it is commonly understood, but a "random will".  I doubt many theists would accept a random will as an adequate conceptual substitute.  I believe this is what you were saying, but it bears more explicit statement, I think.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the granola proposition of a "free will" if randomness was an acceptable definition, because it would seem that they aren't saying much for 'souls' (or what have you) at all in that case.

Of course, even that becomes problematic if we discard Copenhagen, as the wills only appear random from a relative reference point, and are objectively emergent as a pattern of branching probability in many-worlds.

Quote:
Quantum results show that randomness, acausality, is a fundamental aspect of physical reality. Making obsolete old ideas of the nature of reality.

In particular, the need for any prime-mover or first cause (even ignoring the infinite regression of the cause of the first cause- which of course could never be done by a rational person). 

That, and that the roll of dice are no less relevant as "free choice" than decisions made by a brain, both being a combination of random and causal factors.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:BobSpence1

Blake wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I agree that they are not theories, but I think you might disagree with why I do.

I also contend that evolution (as a process that occurs- not necessarily to imply a specific history) is not a theory- but a deductive fact.

Given the premises associated with DNA, mutation, and natural selection, evolution is a consequence of those things which can be derived from deductive logic (we can easily simulate it on a computer too, which is good fun).

I think we are on essentially the same page here. I have expressed it this way: the evolutionary algorithm - random variation combined with the systematic selective effect of the environment, which includes other individuals in the same species, is pretty much inevitable - someone who disagrees with evolution is obliged to demonstrate what would prevent it from occurring, since mutation is an observed fact, and the various ways DNA transcription 'errors' occur allow any genome to eventually mutate step-by-step into any other. The 'natural selection' part is a tautolgy, ie a deductive certainty: that which is better equipped to survive and reproduce will do just that.

Quote:

Obviously if the premises are flawed, the conclusion may be too- but insofar as they hold (and few people would argue them; and no evidence exists that they don't), the conclusion remains a true fact, arrived at through deduction.

A theory is one of many possible explanation for observed phenomena that is consistent with the evidence- a deductive fact concluded from the evidence is something substantially more significant, and may not make any predictions beyond the premises that lead to it.

If we accept quantum mechanics and relativity as they have been observed, and we reject Hidden variable for Bell's, and Copenhagen for absurdity (or whatever other reasons we bring to bear), then the deductive conclusion is Many-Worlds. 

A deductive fact may not be any more useful to science than a theory, but in philosophy it speaks volumes more- and *that* makes it incredibly useful as a counterpoint to many absurdities theists bring to the table.

Quote:
Conscious choices which are not based on some prior information or thought, ie a 'cause' , are the equivalent of a coin-flip, ie, random. If you have a reason for your choice, that is a cause.[...] The results of actual thought processes contain low degrees of of randomness, therefore randomness cannot be evidence of the existence of conscious will.

Of course when causality is dominant to such a degree over any other factors, this is already an argument against "free will", as it's not properly free of causality anyway (I'm not sure if this is what you meant).

I think that is close. As you say later, and I have said previously, a "free will' which produced essentially random decisions is unlikely to be what they would accept as meaningful free will. Yet if it is 'determined' to any degree by prior thoughts and experiences, it is that extent 'causal'. The more I have thought about 'free will', the less sense it makes to me.

Quote:

I think it's also prudent to add to this, for clarification, that such a basis for will (even if causality is disregarded) is not a "free will" as it is commonly understood, but a "random will".  I doubt many theists would accept a random will as an adequate conceptual substitute.  I believe this is what you were saying, but it bears more explicit statement, I think.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the granola proposition of a "free will" if randomness was an acceptable definition, because it would seem that they aren't saying much for 'souls' (or what have you) at all in that case.

Of course, even that becomes problematic if we discard Copenhagen, as the wills only appear random from a relative reference point, and are objectively emergent as a pattern of branching probability in many-worlds.

I think I follow what you are getting at here. 

Quote:

In particular, the need for any prime-mover or first cause (even ignoring the infinite regression of the cause of the first cause- which of course could never be done by a rational person). 

That, and that the roll of dice are no less relevant as "free choice" than decisions made by a brain, both being a combination of random and causal factors.

I did post somewhere on the forums recently a reference to a book I read online:

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11002

Schrodinger's Rabbits: The Many Worlds of Quantum, by Colin Bruce.

I wondered if you had read it. It really got me into a way of thinking about "many worlds" which made a lot of sense to me.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Yikes, the quote tag

Yikes, the quote tag formatting here is dangerous; one misplacement and it throws everything off.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The more I have thought about 'free will', the less sense it makes to me.

Which is why I believe that people who do really believe in it either haven't thought about it (perfectly excusable- ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of if one is willing to correct it), or if they have thought about it, are delusional beyond remedy. 

Maybe my writing them off like that is a bit harsh- maybe I should even give the latter class more benefit of the doubt- but of all the people I have talked to about it, they have always either quickly understood that freewill is nonsense (an admirable admission- and I have even known theists who did not believe in free will), or have been completely stubborn and irrational on the matter, producing the same arguments over and over (as I'm sure all of us here have witnessed).

Quote:
I did post somewhere on the forums recently a reference to a book I read online:

I wondered if you had read it. It really got me into a way of thinking about "many worlds" which made a lot of sense to me.

Thanks, I did see that, but I haven't seen an online copy- it is still available to read off the net?

I could check at the foreign bookstore down-town for it if not; I do have a nearly 20 hour commute coming up on Friday (to San Francisco); something like that would be great to read on the plane.

I do love the rabbit pun.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Quote:I did post

Blake wrote:

Quote:

Thanks, I did see that, but I haven't seen an online copy- it is still available to read off the net?

I could check at the foreign bookstore down-town for it if not; I do have a nearly 20 hour commute coming up on Friday (to San Francisco); something like that would be great to read on the plane.

I do love the rabbit pun.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, it hasn't been readable on line for a while. They appear to make books available online for a period at an early stage of publication. I didn't fully realize this at the time, but I did get to read it right through before they took it off.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Unfortunately, AFAIK, it hasn't been readable on line for a while. They appear to make books available online for a period at an early stage of publication. I didn't fully realize this at the time, but I did get to read it right through before they took it off.

Lucky.

I'll try to remember to ask my assistant on Monday to check some local book sellers, or online, for anybody who has it in stock locally and could deliver it before Friday.

And that's *totally* not a misuse of company resources because... well, it's a business trip, so my entertainment on a 20 hour commute should be accounted for. Right?  Eye-wink

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:my interest is

Blake wrote:

my interest is in quantum theory and its implications

Math just isn't useful ....... in understanding

"Getting" the math is pretty far removed from actually getting the ideas themselves

Really now... Bob shame on you for glossing over this.

where's your integrity?

Get it together, have a look at what Blake has posted since he's been here.

Blake wrote:

"It would create impossible paradoxes in terms of relativity by making possible the propagation of information instantaneously through quantum entangled particles."

"Instantaneous information propagation is fine if it's one way"

In case you're not really sure if the inaccurate physics in his OP was a mistake and he really actually does know the first thing about relativity... he clarifies for you:

Blake wrote:

Not that nothing can move faster than light;

At this point (three days ago now) I am wondering when St BOB SPENCE whom everyone relies on is going to correct this nonsense already... but he doesn't, cause he *likes* where Blake is coming from..

Really BOB?  You like people using your good name to drag their bullshit for them? Ok... good for you...

Further evidence of Blake's serious lack of qualification to be correcting me or anyone else on the topic of Quantum Physics....

Blake wrote:

"Right now Many worlds based theories are winning by a long shot."

WRONG!. There are no "many worlds based theories". There are just many experiments, studies and arguments in quantum phenomenon which are universally in support of the entire quantum state remaining in existence. In support of NO Collapse, which leads us to consider Everett more seriously. 

Blake wrote:

All of those theories, however, involve uncaused quantum events 

WRONG. Many Worlds does not involve uncaused events. It is a deterministic interpretation..

How about one of his more ridiculous contradictions:

Blake wrote:

I'm not very politically correct.

Blake wrote:

If, on top of that, you would be more polite,I would be happy to do my best

The cognitive dissonance is doing my head in. How come I have to be polite if he's not going to? hmmmm???

Blake wrote:

Further: !XYZTetc.=DNE.  Relativistic information yielded from variable input only.

Gobbledygook.

Blake wrote:

Chronology misrepresented. 

Information totality:  Objective genesis is impossible; relativistically inherent.

Absolute nonsense. This is not succinct. It's esotericism.  

Blake wrote:

Former inaccurate.  Later False.  Cause implicit in many-worlds relativity

Many Worlds relativity? 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Blake wrote:my

Eloise wrote:

Blake wrote:

"Getting" the math is pretty far removed from actually getting the ideas themselves

where's your integrity?

Sorry, I genuinely think I understand what he is getting at there, although I wouldn't necessarily put it quite that way.

That is the essential 'problem' with QM, its formula do manifestly work when applied to predict what will be measured, but it is finding a more 'qualitative' picture of what it 'means' that has been the source of the ongoing debates between the various 'interpretations'.

Quote:

Blake wrote:

"It would create impossible paradoxes in terms of relativity by making possible the propagation of information instantaneously through quantum entangled particles."

In case you're not really sure if the inaccurate physics in his OP was a mistake and he really actually does know the first thing about relativity... he clarifies for you:

Blake wrote:

I find these statements interesting, and in the light of what I have read about entanglement and the 'spooky action at a distance' some see in it, I am honestly not quite prepared to simply rubbish them - I have read statements from scientists that are very much of a similar nature.

Not saying I simply accept them as fully coherent or fully justifiable claims, but in this context I genuinely don't feel like commenting one way or the other until I have the opportunity to do much more of my own research.

Quote:

At this point (three days ago now) I am wondering when St BOB SPENCE whom everyone relies on is going to correct this nonsense already... but he doesn't, cause he *likes* where Blake is coming from..

Really BOB?  You like people using your good name to drag their bullshit for them? Ok... good for you...

I do find so much of what he says resonating with what I do currently feel I grasp of QM. Sorry.

Quote:

Further evidence of Blake's serious lack of qualification to be correcting me or anyone else on the topic of Quantum Physics....

Blake wrote:

WRONG!. There are no "many worlds based theories". There are just many experiments, studies and arguments in quantum phenomenon which are universally in support of the entire quantum state remaining in existence. In support of NO Collapse, which leads us to consider Everett more seriously. 

Blake wrote:

WRONG. Many Worlds does not involve uncaused events. It is a deterministic interpretation..

I think I actually explicitly disagree with you here - his claim is not that they indeterminate as such, but he makes the distinction between 'caused' and being more directly and logically consequential on the immediately prior state of things, which again, resonates with my personal and independent ideas, which involve deconstructing the rigid distinction between determinism and indeterminism, and ultimately discarding the concepts as outmoded. I am seeing a more useful way to think of what is conventionally described by those terms.

This is not necessarily fully consistent with Blake's ideas, but many of his statements, such as those in this particular context, do suggest to me useful adjustments to my ideas, which I stress does not mean simple adoption of what he seems to think.

Quote:

Blake wrote:

Blake wrote:

The cognitive dissonance is doing my head in. How come I have to be polite if he's not going to? hmmmm???

Now this is where I have more sympathy with you, as I have already hinted.

But it is a separate issue from his ideas on QM, of course.

Quote:

Blake wrote:

Further: !XYZTetc.=DNE.  Relativistic information yielded from variable input only.

Gobbledygook.

Blake wrote:

Information totality:  Objective genesis is impossible; relativistically inherent.

Blake wrote:

Many Worlds relativity? 

These somewhat cryptic comments I honestly do not really get, but they were made in the slightly peculiar context of that ten-word limit. So I am not surprised that attempts to express QM ideas within that limit lead to some strange statements, so I reserved my serious attempts at commenting on his ideas for a less artificial context, such as this.

I also suspect there was an element of game play there, stretching things to a degree for effect.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Why Eloise!  Pleased to see

Why Eloise!  Pleased to see you back; I'm *so* very surprised.

Blake wrote:

I have explained this.  Your failure to understand what I said is your failure, not mine.  If I was unclear in my original post, I was very clear in my clarification.

I can't take credit for the idea that information (or energy, matter) might possibly be able to travel faster than light (by wormhole/teleportion, etc.); where I saw it, it actually came from a science fiction project (transhumanist kind of thing, I believe).

http://www.orionsarm.com/

I haven't read much of it, and it has been a long time, but they probably explain it better there.  They key to avoiding paradoxes was that the information could only propagate one-way.

Obviously I could be remembering this incorrectly, but in principle I can't confirm that it doesn't cause any contradictions, so I'm open to its possibility.

I have at no time maintained that this can actually be done, or that is is certainly possible (it may not be). 

I'm not arrogant enough to assert the absolute impossibility of something I merely find unlikely without having proof-positive to this point.  Not all people *cough* share my humility in that regard.

Eloise wrote:

Blake wrote:

Good for you for catching that; I may have slipped up semantically- although Many Worlds is a deductive interpretation, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of theories themselves being founded on it (which I don't think is what I meant, but is what I seem to have said). 

I'd have to see the context to know what this was in reference to, though.

Either way, if I said that, it appears that it wasn't a valid argument on my part, since it's basically just an appeal to popularity and progress.  Much like your prior appeal to progress.  Unfortunately, we were basically saying the same thing there (making the same argumentative fallacy), and for that I feel some shame- it was a poor argument.

I, however, can admit it was not a valid argument to make for Many Worlds- just because something is "winning" alone is not an argument for its truth.

Eloise wrote:

Blake wrote:

You can go back to read my former posts if you want to understand how the quantum events in Many Worlds qualify as uncaused, and how they are uncaused.  Determinism may or may not mean causality.

Eloise wrote:

Because if, in this hypothetical situation of you demonstrating yourself capable of learning and correction, you want me to go through the trouble of teaching you where you are wrong (likely a laborious task), I am doing you a favor that deserves at least a modicum of appreciation.  Or, at least I think it does.

You could do well to learn a little bit from some of the other theists on the forum who have come through to ask questions and learn.  I have unbounded respect for that mindset, contrary to that you have demonstrated.

Blake wrote:

----

---

These are three posts from the ten word debating thread, in which Eloise was breaking the ten-word rules and trying to argue with what I was saying (using hundreds).

I believe somebody mentioned that using ten words only for an argument is very much like poetry- it certainly is.

I wasn't surprised that people didn't understand that, but it was a challenge to say it in so few words.

I don't blame anybody for breaking the ten word rule, but that's why I created this thread- so it wouldn't be done anymore.  That Eloise didn't understand why I created this thread and made wild assumptions thereafter is her loss.

If anybody is actually interested, I'll elaborate on my ten word points.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I find

BobSpence1 wrote:
I find these statements interesting, and in the light of what I have read about entanglement and the 'spooky action at a distance' some see in it, I am honestly not quite prepared to simply rubbish them - I have read statements from scientists that are very much of a similar nature.

You might like Orion's Arm- as hypothetical hard science fiction goes (testing out different ways things might work without violating known science), it's a great community of people thinking outside the box.

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48545a0f6352a

Scroll down to "Failure modes" and see #3

There's also a link to a wormhole FAQ, which I didn't fully read:

http://www.orionsarm.com/xcms.php?r=oa-faq&topic=Wormholes

And this:

http://www.orionsarm.com/page/322

It was very interesting when I read it a few years ago.  I didn't understand it well at the time, but I later came to understand it in a different context.

I haven't looked into it carefully enough to *make sure* that Orion's arm, in particular, all works out, but it seems to.  I've also devised my own hypothetical system in which something similar is permissible.

I'll emphasize further:  I don't insist that this is certainly doable or possible, but it strikes me as plausible (though maybe not probable), as it is lacking in discernible contradictions.

BobSpence1 wrote:
his claim is not that they indeterminate as such, but he makes the distinction between 'caused' and being more directly and logically consequential on the immediately prior state of things, which again, resonates with my personal and independent ideas, which involve deconstructing the rigid distinction between determinism and indeterminism, and ultimately discarding the concepts as outmoded. I am seeing a more useful way to think of what is conventionally described by those terms.

I can't see anything to disagree with here; you've represented my argument well.

I think it's unfortunate that, in our language and thinking, we've come to associate determinism with cause so rigidly.  I've often made the mistake of saying many worlds "causes" quantum fluctuations as a manner of speaking- much like biologists saying a feature of evolution was "designed"; it tends to come back and bite us when somebody misunderstands.

I think it could perhaps be said that Many Worlds is "deterministic", in a way- insofar as pi is deterministic- but it would be stretching the terms a bit, and could lead to confusion.  It only can't be said that it is causal (at least, it can't be said without leading to confusion for people who don't understand it).

BobSpence1 wrote:

I don't think I ever suggested that *I* was particularly polite at all times- I'll fully admit that I can be a bit of an ass; although at any time, I was usually joking in my sardonic way.

I just meant that if she would be more polite, I would be more likely to do the same- and even humor her arguments if she showed a real desire to learn.

I admit that I was being a bit presumptuous in assuming that she would not learn even if I engaged her arguments, but I hope it's clear how her assertions led me to believe, more and more, that this was likely the case.

If you can vouch for her having changed her mind instead of rationalizing on any major point of philosophy in favor of a more rational interpretation in spite of her emotional preferences (the thing that I believe holds most theists back), I will trust you on that and readily admit that I was wrong to make that assumption.

I feel like I've already done my best at extending an olive branch; though I will readily do it again if the evidence is in favour of my having been in error with regards to my assessment of her rationality, I just don't want to bend over backwards if it's to no avail.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I also suspect there was an element of game play there, stretching things to a degree for effect.

I thought it was poetry; I enjoyed it.

Largely, I wrote an explanation and then tried to delete words.  Perhaps not always to coherent effect.  I'll admit that even I had to look at the context to figure out exactly what I was talking about.

Blake wrote:

!XYZTetc.=DNE.  Not X Y Z T etc. = Does Not Exist.

Something that is outside the universe is something that doesn't exist.  Outside of the dimensions of time and space, and whatever other dimensions we may hold (etc.- this is important), is outside of reality itself.

The information we see is seen because we perceive it from a relativistic frame of reference.  That information doesn't objectively exist, but can only be yielded from the system by inputting the probability "coordinate" variables that got us to any particular state of the universe.

That is, in order to get out the information contained within our perceivable universe, you'd have to "look" at it from an objective viewpoint (hypothetical objective viewpoint, something that wouldn't really exist), and use as the coordinates of our location the result of every single quantum event that has occurred in history.  That would mean putting in the same amount of information you'd be getting back out.

That is, the information in our relativistic reference frame is objectively yielded from coordinate variable input only.

Blake wrote:

The poster misrepresented time, displaying a distinctly human concept of time and causality which isn't necessarily an objective one.

Information totality- matter, energy, everything- when we speak of reality, we're speaking of something that can ultimately be boiled down to information.

Objective genesis is impossible, but a genesis of information from a relativistic reference point (concerning the quantum effects perceived in that situation) makes the genesis of that information absolutely natural and unstoppable.  This information is "created" only relative to our reference frame, and is inherent only in that state.

Blake wrote:

free_thinker wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Needs to be proved. Quantum effects have no known cause.

AHHA!!! GOD CAUSES QUANTUM FLUCTUATIONS!!!

Former inaccurate.  Later False.  Cause implicit in many-worlds relativity.

Former: Quantum effects have no cause, not just no known cause; thus inaccuracy.  Maybe "not precise" would have been a better word choice... technically true that they lack a known cause (while lacking cause entirely).

I was wrong there in word choice, unless I was talking about "Needs to be proved", which I don't think I was (I don't know what that was in reference to).

Later: "God causes quantum fluctuations" is false.

The "cause" (used abstractly and non-chronologically, or lack thereof), and the reason for it is implicitly understood through many-worlds, from a relativistic reference frame that we experience the fluctuations from.

In retrospect, that was probably very poor wording in general. 
But alas, ten words.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Eloise

BobSpence1 wrote:

Eloise wrote:

Blake wrote:

where's your integrity?

Sorry, I genuinely think I understand what he is getting at there,

You're joking?

What the?

Quote:

although I wouldn't necessarily put it quite that way.

You're rationalising. He's wrong and you're rationalising for him? WTH? If Paisley were as flippant as this about the actual science of Quantum Physics you'd be going nuts tearing him down for weeks on it.. but this guy gets your sympathy? Why? 

I've suddenly lost a great deal of respect for your opinion, Bob. 

Quote:

That is the essential 'problem' with QM, its formula do manifestly work when applied to predict what will be measured, but it is finding a more 'qualitative' picture of what it 'means' that has been the source of the ongoing debates between the various 'interpretations'.

But that's not what Blake is saying, Bob. He's saying there is no understanding to be gained from the mathematical description.  You're being irrational, you have some personal 'feeling' for this guy and you're using it to gloss over what are extremely obvious fallacies in his comments. 

Quote:

Quote:

Blake wrote:

Blake wrote:

You're ignoring the facts Bob, and projecting your own wishful thinking on it. 

He contradicts himself and he contradicts relativity. These statements aren't "interesting" they are further evidence of Blake's cognitive dissonance and inability to actually remain coherent with the ideas he professes to be defending.

Quote:

Not saying I simply accept them as fully coherent or fully justifiable claims, but in this context I genuinely don't feel like commenting one way or the other until I have the opportunity to do much more of my own research.

No. What?  

That is ridiculous Bob. They aren't coherent claims, you don't need research to show that. And you wouldn't care if it was a theist anyway. 

You're rationalising away your integrity, here, Bob. Why? What is so special about this bloke that he gets to be a liar and an ignoramus without reproach? Is it because he is so insulting towards the people that irk you? 

Quote:

Quote:

I do find so much of what he says resonating with what I do currently feel I grasp of QM. Sorry.

Yeah but he could be just getting lucky Bob. He's clearly not well versed in it. The list of his errors is far longer than any other you would have tolerated. So why are you being irrational about this? Maybe you are wrong about QM, does it really bother you that much that you might be wrong about Quantum Mechanics that you'll cling to the rantings of someone who clearly hasn't the faintest idea what it is, just because they resonate with your ideas?

Quote:

Quote:

Blake wrote:

Blake wrote:

I think I actually explicitly disagree with you here - his claim is not that they indeterminate as such, but he makes the distinction between 'caused' and being more directly and logically consequential on the immediately prior state of things, which again, resonates with my personal and independent ideas, which involve deconstructing the rigid distinction between determinism and indeterminism, and ultimately discarding the concepts as outmoded. I am seeing a more useful way to think of what is conventionally described by those terms.

This is not necessarily fully consistent with Blake's ideas, but many of his statements, such as those in this particular context, do suggest to me useful adjustments to my ideas, which I stress does not mean simple adoption of what he seems to think.

It's all very well if you "think' he's saying something else. But the problem with his background, Bob. How can you be sure what he is saying is even based on Quantum Mechanics? It's pretty obvious that he doesn't do, or know, physics. Every time he says anything remotely true it's copied from a post he read earlier and whenever he's questioned on it he replies with a contradiction. 

Quote:

Quote:

Blake wrote:

Blake wrote:

Your hinting was utterly ineffectual. 

Quote:

No, it clearly demonstrates that he is highly irrational. And I can demonstrate it further with another list of similar irrationalities if you like.   But the point is,  Bob, your "sympathies" aren't helping in the slightest when he asserts bullshit about Quantum Mechanics and then declares himself the saviour of everyone for calling true statements wrong - I would much prefer your intellectual integrity over your sympathies, where has it gone? 

Quote:

Quote:

Blake wrote:

Gobbledygook.

Blake wrote:

Blake wrote:

Many Worlds relativity? 

These somewhat cryptic comments I honestly do not really get, but they were made in the slightly peculiar context of that ten-word limit. So I am not surprised that attempts to express QM ideas within that limit lead to some strange statements, so I reserved my serious attempts at commenting on his ideas for a less artificial context, such as this.

Bob they are absolute incoherent nonsense. You wouldn't have let Truden off the hook for talking like this. I'm appalled by your double standard. 

Quote:

He called it succint, Bob. Those are his words. Stop me when you realise that he is a quack, won't you?

EDIT:

I'd like to add, for completeness, a quote from someone else who's explication of QM, you've said, also resonates with your understanding. He used to post here... I'm sorry he's not still:

In short physics is physics. Mathematics. Equations. Same as ever. In fact, quantum mechanics is even more rigorous in this regard, and does not pander in any way, shape or form to any metaphysical or metaphorical propositions you may wish to propogate. To do so is to employ complex technical language in metaphorical/layman situations and hence commit a fallacy of equivocation. 

DeludedGod.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, you're kind of

Eloise, you're kind of digging yourself a hole here by ranting.  You've already committed not to reply to me anymore, and now you're doing it by proxy.

This isn't going to look good in the morning, when or if you come to your senses.

Eloise wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

But that's not what Blake is saying, Bob. He's saying there is no understanding to be gained from the mathematical description.  You're being irrational, you have some personal 'feeling' for this guy and you're using it to gloss over what are extremely obvious fallacies in his comments. 

Actually, that was what I was saying, if I'm understanding Bob correctly.

It's not that people couldn't possibly gain understanding from the mathematics, but that they probably wouldn't unless they were extremely intelligent (which applies to precious few people alive, if any).  It's not that it the understanding couldn't be gained- it's that it's extremely unlikely to be gained.  I know that I didn't understand it simply from the equations- even just the uncertainty principle- it needed to be explained in other terms.

The math is just too far abstracted and complex to be terribly helpful to our minds- which deal more conceptually with the world.

Metaphor, and formal logical deduction, is simply more useful than equations in this case (the case of understanding, not of application).

The mathematical description does depict fact- but it does it in a way that is inaccessible.  Conceptual descriptions can depict the facts of the matter just as well- but also remain far more accessible to human understanding.

Where concepts fail us is in applying the knowledge to useful situations- that's where the whole joke about engineers being physicists as intelligence approaches zero comes from (no offense to the engineers here, it's just a joke). 

The point is that one can have all of the math and equations at one's fingertips, and be able to manipulate it in any way, without having the slightest understanding of what it really means.

Case in point, some boring anecdotes:

In calculus class, some of those students who were the best at solving the problems when spoon-fed to them in form were absolutely incapable of translating a word problem into useful form- because they didn't really understand any of it. 

I, on the other hand, could read the word problem, and write it out in a few seconds, but then didn't bother to solve it because I didn't memorize the integration tables.  As such, I tended to end up in the situation of telling other people how to solve it (because they didn't know where to start), and then not actually getting the practice solving it at all.  It was kind of a symbiosis, but in retrospect, I should have just memorized them, as lacking the practice didn't really help anybody.  I just didn't find them interesting- I liked the concept of it all; the puzzle it posed, and wasn't remotely interested in the trivial practice of finishing off the equations after I'd already figured out *how* to solve it. 

To this day, I can say "Oh, yeah, you need the second derivative of this", only to say "no idea" when asked *what* that second derivative would be.

Mathematics are useful for practical applications- and as long as I have a few tables to reference, I can do the math- it's just not really useful for understanding in the way thought experiments and analogies are.  If it were, the larger part of calculus wouldn't be reliant on word problems to drill that understanding in.

I mean no insult to mathematicians- they're definitely useful when they stay in their fields (seriously, I love you guys)- but they go way out of bounds when they assume to understand anything beyond that by mere virtue of being able to do the math behind it.  This has been shown time and again not to be the case.  I can say the same for quite a few fields.

Eloise wrote:

You're ignoring the facts Bob, and projecting your own wishful thinking on it.

This is a new one!  You're projecting projection!

The irony is very amusing.  I wasn't really particularly offended before, more mildly annoyed, but I have to say, I'm starting to somewhat enjoy your posts now- I do likes me some irony.

Unfortunately, at some point I will have to remember that you are a real person suffering from delusions, and then it just kind of becomes sad... so much for amusement.

EDIT:

supposedly DeludedGod wrote:

In short physics is physics. Mathematics. Equations. Same as ever. In fact, quantum mechanics is even more rigorous in this regard, and does not pander in any way, shape or form to any metaphysical or metaphorical propositions you may wish to propogate. To do so is to employ complex technical language in metaphorical/layman situations and hence commit a fallacy of equivocation.

It definitely doesn't pander to anything metaphysical, and it certainly doesn't make metaphors easy.  The fallacy of equivocation is not made in converting, roughly, to metaphor (so long as it is understood to be approximation), but by those who misunderstand those metaphors and make fallacious arguments based on them.

This doesn't mean that an attempt should not be made, though, if it is done with caution and precision.  I have seen many good metaphors that could be mistaken, but which taken as a whole, form a very accurate perception through their mutual consistencies.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh Fuck it. I'm not going to

Oh Fuck it. I'm not going to let you off a single inch any more. I am tired of giving you the benefit of the doubt when clearly every time I do you're only going to use it to project some manic bullshit on me anyway. 

Quote:

Eloise wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Actually, that was what I was saying, if I'm understanding Bob correctly.

Oh Twaddle. You're so full of it. You said. In no uncertain terms:

Math is not helpful in understanding. Understanding the Math is far removed form understanding the ideas themselves.

The 'ideas' you're talking about are purely mathematical results, Blake. To say you understand the ideas of QM (or relativity for that matter) without understanding of the math is saying that you know what I look like cause you saw my shadow. It's just not true.

Blake wrote:

It's not that people couldn't possibly gain understanding from the mathematics, but that they probably wouldn't unless they were extremely intelligent (which applies to precious few people alive, if any).  It's not that it the understanding couldn't be gained- it's that it's extremely unlikely to be gained.  I know that I didn't understand it simply from the equations- even just the uncertainty principle- it needed to be explained in other terms.

And who explained it to you in other terms, Blake? Someone who understood the math did, right? 

Quote:

The math is just too far abstracted and complex to be terribly helpful to our minds- which deal more conceptually with the world.

What would you know about it. Seriously. You've already admitted you don't bother with it.

Quote:

Metaphor, and formal logical deduction, is simply more useful than equations in this case (the case of understanding, not of application).

Without even the merest mention of Quantum logic or statistical inference? You're a quack Blake. Face the facts. Your application of classical logic to the question of entanglement is laughable. Bells theorem is stochastic, idiot.

Quote:

The mathematical description does depict fact- but it does it in a way that is inaccessible. 

I mean no insult to mathematicians- they're definitely useful when they stay in their fields (seriously, I love you guys)- but they go way out of bounds when they assume to understand anything beyond that by mere virtue of being able to do the math behind it. 

Not to a mathematical scientist Blake. What is it you think we do? Add stuff up? We're not accountants; Measure Angles? We're not engineers. A mathematical scientist models stuff, Blake. Our profession is explaining mathematical equations in terms of physical scenarios, and turning real physical events into mathematical equations.

A mathematical scientist does not overstep his bounds by translating mathematical things into ordinary language. That is his profession.

You know nothing about it, and should stop trying to assert authority you do not have.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Oh Fuck it. I'm

Eloise wrote:

Oh Fuck it. I'm not going to let you off a single inch any more. I am tired of giving you the benefit of the doubt when clearly every time I do you're only going to use it to project some manic bullshit on me anyway.

You really think that you ever did?

Quote:

The 'ideas' you're talking about are purely mathematical results, Blake. To say you understand the ideas of QM (or relativity for that matter) without understanding of the math is saying that you know what I look like cause you saw my shadow. It's just not true.

These results can also be expressed in more grounded logical terms which lean less heavily on complex mathematics (although I wouldn't say mathematics are purely removed from logic- formal logic does resemble math superficially (and perhaps more so), because they are different ways of saying the same things).

Quote:
And who explained it to you in other terms, Blake? Someone who understood the math did, right?

I presume so.  The math isn't terribly difficult; just tedious and unnecessary.  There's no reason a professor wouldn't understand it, though.  The really good ones know better than to lean on it too heavily for explanation.

I've generally only seen a class confused, with very rare exception, when something is derived before them without explanation- it is when that explanation is offered that the understanding dawns.

Obviously, though- and it should go without saying- explanations taken without the math may be understood, but are taken far more on faith, as the math itself is the proof of the pudding.  At least having followed the derivations is very useful for trusting the conclusions (such as uncertainty as solved for various terms- *very* basic algebra).

Quote:
What would you know about it. Seriously. You've already admitted you don't bother with it.

I bother with it more than you imagine, and I've even used certain points of well understood math as examples- even in this thread- it is where the complexity of that math becomes greater that it becomes confusing to people who don't understand the concepts behind it, and stops being very useful at all in explaining those concepts.

More useful than the math you speak of, I have found information technology- particularly digital electronics- in explaining the concepts involved.  If I didn't understand this, I suspect that I wouldn't have understood many-worlds.

This does require an explanation of binary, or another number system (since most people don't really understand the theory behind decimal), but it's far easier to do this in explaining information genesis than it is to teach wave mechanics using probability vectors; people are well enough aware of probability in an intuitive sense, and mapping it out for them can be done with ease without making use of vector math (which would only serve to confuse them).

Quote:
Without even the merest mention of Quantum logic or statistical inference?

If you don't understand how these things can be mentioned or explained without drawing on numerous equations, you're more lost than even I suspected.

Quote:
Not to a mathematical scientist Blake. What is it you think we do?

Evidently, make wild esoteric claims about the nature of reality when they believe they understand the implications of a couple equations but do not. No no, that's just you- and people like William Dembski. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Dembski)

You are a perfect example of a mathematician going outside of those bounds.

Your math may or may not be sound, but your understanding of the implications certainly is not.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Eloise wrote:Oh

Blake wrote:

Eloise wrote:

You really think that you ever did?

You don't want me to drag up every irrational thing you've said and done on this thread and others which I have graciously let lie, Blake, just get the hint and stop ad hom'ing me everywhere you post, and stop pretending that you're in any way qualified to correct my statements about QM. OK? 

Blake wrote:

Quote:

I bother with it more than you imagine, and I've even used certain points of well understood math as examples- even in this thread-

No you haven't. Why do you lie so much. 

You attempted a *very* poor imitation of an argument I made to demonstrate to you that superluminal communication is equivalent to a negative change in time. That's it. 

Apart from one really pathetic attempt to plagiarise my argument (all the while contradicting yourself by declaring me utterly and categorically wrong) and a lucky guesswork application of some first year optics (and yes I've conceded you can do first year optics, but lets be honest Blake, understanding a bit of introductory wave optics does not, a Quantum Physicist, make), which was introduced by Butterbattle, not by you at all, you have not applied any math in this thread that could support your statement. I'm seeing a pattern of pathological dishonesty in your posting Blake. 

Quote:

More useful than the math you speak of, I have found information technology- particularly digital electronics- in explaining the concepts involved.  If I didn't understand this, I suspect that I wouldn't have understood many-worlds.

This does require an explanation of binary, or another number system (since most people don't really understand the theory behind decimal), but it's far easier to do this in explaining information genesis than it is to teach wave mechanics using probability vectors;

Then go right ahead. Explain digital physics instead. 

Did you miss the part where I said the Science faculty where I am is married to the IT school. Binary doesn't intimidate me either, Blake, but it's amusing that you're still trying to scare me away from challenging your knowledge on the subject. Says a lot about what you know.

Quote:

Quote:
Without even the merest mention of Quantum logic or statistical inference?

If you don't understand how these things can be mentioned or explained without drawing on numerous equations, you're more lost than even I suspected.

Naked assertion, you aren't even doing classical logic right. Show me where you have mentioned them.

And by you I mean in your words, not some vagary where you have said "correct" in reply to Bob. Any idiot can say Bob's right, he often is, it doesn't make you knowledgable on the things he said.

Quote:

Quote:
Not to a mathematical scientist Blake. What is it you think we do?

Evidently, make wild esoteric claims about the nature of reality when they believe they understand the implications of a couple equations but do not. No no, that's just you- and people like William Dembski. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Dembski)

You are a perfect example of a mathematician going outside of those bounds.

I have made no wild esoteric claims. You think I have, list them. Otherwise stop comparing me to creationists it only demonstrates how quickly you jump to illogical conclusions without getting all the facts. 

Edit:

Also I note, Dembski oversteps his bounds by being a psychologist with a masters in Statistics arguing the validity of analytical models in biology/biochemistry.  This is nowhere near the same as someone with an Applied Math/Physics education speaking on Quantum Theory. Obviously a person trained in physics is qualified to speak on physics. A person trained in psychology is going a bit far to argue biology with biologists though. 

Jumping to illogical conclusions, Blake.

Quote:

Your math may or may not be sound, but your understanding of the implications certainly is not.

You keep making this naked assertion. On the basis of what are you saying that my understanding is not sound? Nothing but your own authority, Blake, and I think I've done a good enough job of establishing that your 'authority to speak on QM is on very shaky ground at best.

Right now, Blake, you need to come up with some actual evidence that I have incorrectly understood quantum mechanics, your word is not good enough

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:You don't want

Eloise wrote:

You don't want me to drag up every irrational thing you've said and done on this thread and others which I have graciously let lie, Blake, just get the hint and stop ad hom'ing me everywhere you post, and stop pretending that you're in any way qualified to correct my statements about QM. OK?

Your appeal to your own authority by virtue of academia is unconvincing, and illogical.

Anybody who understands the subject is more than qualified to correct you.  Obviously when you disregard any argument that doesn't agree with you as "unqualified", you won't accept any contention at all. (Case in point: you're even attacking Bob now).

If that isn't the case, then will you explain the "qualifications" required to accept admonishment, and assert that you will accept said admonishment- and change your stance- if offered by somebody with the "qualifications" to do it?

Don't be stingy now.

Quote:

No you haven't. Why do you lie so much.

I don't lie at all.  Why do you gloss over everything that disagrees with your assumptions?  No, wait, I know the answer to that one- willful ignorance.

Quote:
You attempted a *very* poor imitation of an argument I made to demonstrate to you that superluminal communication is equivalent to a negative change in time. That's it.

I didn't imitate you, you silly-head, I accepted that as a premise (anybody *else* reading it is likely to see that)- and have for years- as it is implicit in any understanding of relativity.

I was attempting (probably foolishly though, as it obviously can not be done on account of your well demonstrated dogmatism) to explain to you why your assumptions were in error, and that reverse time travel (relative to a reference frame) is not in conflict with logic insofar as it is not "circular" in a way that allows the creation of a "time machine".

An error you seem to be making is the assumption that an objective time-frame is a real thing for the universe, when in fact it doesn't exist.  Time is relative to the reference frame in question.  Local reverse time travel is what is impossible; so long as the information in question is traveling back in time outside of the sphere of causality (for that piece of information, so it can't cause itself), the practice seems perfectly in keeping with what we know to be consistent with logic.

A verbal description is likely inadequate for you; I would probably need to create a flash animation, or animated gif to actually explain it well.  This is not something I'm interested in doing for you, however, as you would choose not to understand it regardless.

Quote:
Apart from one really pathetic attempt to plagiarise my argument (all the while contradicting yourself by declaring me utterly and categorically wrong)

At no point was I parroting you, but you can go ahead and think that if it helps make you more comfortable.

Quote:
and a lucky guesswork application of some first year optics (and yes I've conceded you can do first year optics, but lets be honest Blake, understanding a bit of introductory wave optics does not, a Quantum Physicist, make)

Was it guesswork or wasn't it?  You can't even make up your mind when you're insulting me.

No, it wasn't guesswork; it was an incredibly simple problem.  The only thing that was remotely difficult (although I'd hardly say it really qualified any difficulty) was the notation, but I can still recognize a vector when I see one.

And no, a little bit of introductory optics doesn't a quantum physicist make- my knowledge of the subject spans a bit beyond that.

The optics themselves could be explained more traditionally by wave propagation through the ether (I look forward to you accusing me of subscribing to Ether theory), and needn't have anything to do with quantum mechanics at all (that is, optics themselves are older than QM).

Wave-particle duality is much more applicable to QM than are simple optics.

Quote:
you have not applied any math in this thread that could support your statement.

Completely false.  Anybody who has read my posts can point out my use of mathematical analogies in attempt to explain the uncaused, yet inherent traits of quantum mechanics.  I have also made a brief argument against a paper another poster cited which was a criticism of Bell's. 

Poor reading comprehension much?

Quote:
I'm seeing a pattern of pathological dishonesty in your posting Blake.

You're seeing what you want to see.  Congratulations.  You can has delusion.

Quote:

Then go right ahead. Explain digital physics instead.

Why?

I'm not doing you any favors; you've demonstrated yourself unwilling to think critically or learn.

I've said time and again that if anybody else was interested, or had questions, I would explain for their sake.  I'm not wasting my time.

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I said the Science faculty where I am is married to the IT school.

I did not.  I do not assume that you don't understand computer science.  You're still perfectly capable of rationalizing it away.

Quote:
Binary doesn't intimidate me either, Blake, but it's amusing that you're still trying to scare me away from challenging your knowledge on the subject.

I never thought it would, nor do I think you can be "scared away"; you actually think you're right, so you see no reason to be weary of anything I say.  You're like a faithful medieval Christian marching into a lion's den.

Frankly, you're just too intellectually scrawny to bother making a meal of.  If your ideas were actually threatening, I'd gladly put you in your place.

Quote:

Naked assertion, you aren't even doing classical logic right. Show me where you have mentioned them.

You are perfectly capable of reading my posts.  I'm not going fishing for you.  You're liable to rationalize anything I link to anyway, so there's really no point.

How many times do I have to explain it to you?  You can't be educated.  There's no point in trying.

Quote:
I have made no wild esoteric claims. You think I have, list them.

See Theist badge.  See signature.  I'm not really interested in going fishing; you'll only try to back up your position, and I'm not interested in arguing against self-evident absurdity.

Quote:
Also I note, Dembski oversteps his bounds by being a psychologist with a masters in Statistics arguing the validity of analytical models in biology/biochemistry.  This is nowhere near the same as someone with an Applied Math/Physics education speaking on Quantum Theory. Obviously a person trained in physics is qualified to speak on physics. A person trained in psychology is going a bit far to argue biology with biologists though.

Except that they are identical in that you are both wrong.  I'm not impressed by your academic qualifications where they have obviously failed to impart a measure of common sense and critical thinking.

You're both seeing what you want to see, and distorting the facts to fit your perceptions.

You are clearly sensitive to this; give a thought as to why.

Quote:

You keep making this naked assertion. On the basis of what are you saying that my understanding is not sound? Nothing but your own authority, Blake, and I think I've done a good enough job of establishing that your 'authority to speak on QM is on very shaky ground at best.

Yes, I keep making it as an explanation for why I'm not going to dignify your absurd arguments with responses.  I'm not arguing that nobody else should- they're perfectly entitled to come to their own conclusions about your stances.  My own authority is enough for me to make a decision on the matter for myself.

You have demonstrated no misunderstanding on my part.  And if you're arguing against my 'authority to speak on QM', you've completely failed to do so effectively.  A poodle has authority to speak on QM if said poodle understands the concepts behind it.  Appeal to academia is beyond silly.

The word of Bohr wouldn't be good enough for you; you believe what you believe because you want to believe it.  That's why I won't argue with you about it.

1. Make a point that even resembles validity, and I'd be willing to dispute it for the sake of an audience.

2. Demonstrate yourself open minded (and be a bit more polite), and I'll explain it for your sake.

3. Make a genuinely valid point, and I'll concede it.

Those are the rules.  When you finish your tirades against me, if you want to participate like a grown-up, feel free to do any of the above if you actually want to test my knowledge of Quantum Mechanics. 

Otherwise, you will find any responses I give merely amused and condescending to you; I'm not about to respect arguments that don't deserve it, and I'm not about to "prove" to you that I know what I'm talking about just to free you of your delusions (even if I had a list of references a mile long, I doubt it would help you).

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:On an interweb

Blake wrote:
On an interweb forum?  Seriously?

This isn't exactly dissertation quality writing. [accent=Posh] Expression of needlessly elaborate vernacular would only be counterproductive in this endeavor.[/accent]

On most forums, probably not. But, this forum is different, lol. I've seen extremely long-winded styles from posters like Nordmann and UnrepententElitist. 

Meh. Maybe you're just less strict about your writing.   

Blake wrote:
]If you're studying science, and it's your field in general, I think it's reasonable to say that you probably deserve one.  You seem to know quite a bit more than a layman.

Yeah, but then, a lot of people on this forum would deserve one. I think it should only be given to the most knowledgeable members; otherwise, it loses meaning.  

I don't want it until I feel like I'm really knowledgeable. I don't feel like I'm really knowledgeable. Having a shiny badge under my username isn't going to give me an ego boost unless I feel like it accurately represents me. If it doesn't, then I'll just feel like an ass. 

Maybe when I finish my degree.  

Blake wrote:
 I think that was in basic first year physics.

We used degrees, and that's a strange vector notation ( |x> ? ) ,  But as it looks like you're saying X and Y components are equal, which would be 45 degrees (and if I do the trig, I can see that they are both one-half).  So by either count (taking only the X component, or cos^2 of the angle) we'd get half of it out by filtering it that way.

Yes, it's covered in first year physics too. Then, as you stated, we simply used the equation that Iout = Iin cos2(theta) , where theta is the angle between the state of the incident light and the transmission direction of the Polaroid sheet.

But, we covered it again in my intro to quantum mechanics class. It was used to help with understanding the concepts, as well as giving us an opportunity to apply Dirac notation. I fully expected you to get the result of 1/2; even if you were a theist, you could've just looked it up on google or wikipedia. What I really wanted you to demonstrate was an understanding of light polarization, a familiarity with Dirac Notation, and that you knew why such a problem was used in beginning quantum mechanics courses. Based on your post, I think you probably understand light polarization and trigonometry and that you don't really know anything about Dirac notation or why light polarization would come up in an intro to quantum mechanics course.....disappointing.

I understand that you're a physics minor, but I find it very hard to imagine how you could take an intro to quantum mechanics course at any major university without ever seeing a "ket," so perhaps you never took a quantum physics course as part of your minor? The symbol, |psi>, is called a 'ket,' a state vector. If you take the complex conjugate of this state, you get, <psi*|, which is called a 'bra.' If you take the inner product of the two, you have <bra|ket>. Lol.

Blake wrote:
Question for you:

(I got that one wrong on the final once- I'll never forget it again)

Off the top of my head, is it due to another lesser known elementary particle?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Quote:You

Blake wrote:

Quote:

I didn't imitate you, you silly-head, I accepted that as a premise (anybody *else* reading it is likely to see that)- and have for years- as it is implicit in any understanding of relativity.

I was attempting (probably foolishly though, as it obviously can not be done on account of your well demonstrated dogmatism) to explain to you why your assumptions were in error,

Wrong. You were not talking to me:

Post#22 wrote:

Blake wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

My knowledge of QM is pretty minimal, but I believe the scientific consensus is that faster than light phenomena has been observed, but there is, so far, no way to send information using any of these methods. This includes information propagation "one-way."

Of course we haven't observed it, even in "one-way", and it's probably impossible.  My point was only that it doesn't produce any disastrous logical paradoxes.

I don't submit that it's likely or necessarily possible that we will ever achieve FTL information propagation- because that *is* reverse time travel.  However, if it were done only in one direction, it wouldn't create a paradox as such:

-I send information in the positive X direction instantly, one light year away.

-This information has effectively traveled back in time one year, and tells me to buy Google stock.

-My satellite, positioned one light year away, receives the information, and transfers it back to me by laser.

-That laser takes on year to reach me, because it's only traveling at light speed over one light year.

-I receive the message immediately after (or at best the very instant) I send it- it is useless to me.

However, if at any point information is sent in the negative X direction instantly, that would be a violation.

Not saying it's possible, just that, logically, it could be O.K.  My point was only that two-way propagation would be absolutely impossible, and that's what quantum entanglement would allow if hidden variables were a viable explanation.

Have you noticed that when I say you're wrong I show some evidence that proves it. Why can't you do this? You no longer have the excuse of a ten word limit.

Quote:

and that reverse time travel (relative to a reference frame) is not in conflict with logic insofar as it is not "circular" in a way that allows the creation of a "time machine".

Who cares. You're so ignorant of what you're saying no amount of time I give you to correct yourself is enough.

I have given you three full days grace to demonstrate that you understand the basis of relativity is the postulate 'nothing can exceed the velocity of light' and you continue to trot out this lame logical paradox nonsense instead. 

Superluminal velocity violates relativity, Blake. If you were a scientist you would know this. You would also know that all observations of superluminal phenomenon so far have been shown technically to not be in violation of relativity.

Quantum phenomenon notwithstanding - that quantum effects are superluminal is speculation. Again, if you were a scientist, you would know this, and wouldn't be raving incoherently about the possibility of logical paradoxes if two way communication happens faster than light.

Quote:

An error you seem to be making is the assumption that an objective time-frame is a real thing for the universe, when in fact it doesn't exist. 

Well, you've missed the mark by a dozen miles there haven't you. 

How about you take some of your own advice, stop being so closed-minded and be open to the possibility that You are the one who is wrong.

Blake wrote:

Quote:
Apart from one really pathetic attempt to plagiarise my argument (all the while contradicting yourself by declaring me utterly and categorically wrong)

At no point was I parroting you, but you can go ahead and think that if it helps make you more comfortable.

You can claim that if you like, but as more and more it becomes apparent that you can't make a valid statement about physics until someone else posts it first you'll have nowhere left to go.

Quote:

Was it guesswork or wasn't it? 

It was both but mostly guesswork. You guessed that the polarisation was linear at 45 degrees. If your guess had been wrong because you didn't understand the notation your answer would have been wrong too. Plus you applied cos^2 which if the angle had not been 45 degrees would have also given you the wrong answer. The Polaroid blocks cos^2 and lets through sin^2.

You were lucky.

Edit: Oops my bad, I have been corrected, it is sin^2 that's absorbed if it goes along x... Sorry. 

Quote:

Wave-particle duality is much more applicable to QM than are simple optics.

Wrong. Quantum Theory is the theory of Quanta. Wave particle duality is a general subject in the physics of light. the proper form for light in Quantum theory is the photon and Photonics is the applicable model of light for quantum.

Wave -particle Duality is reconciled best in QED. If you were a scientist, you would know the difference.

Quote:
 I have also made a brief argument against a paper another poster cited which was a criticism of Bell's. 

A brief argument??? 

Oh come on.  You did nothing of the sort. All you did was copy/pasted a section of the article and made a neutral comment.  

post #43 wrote:

the paper wrote:
To this end, recall that Bell begins his theorem by postulating a set of local functions A( · , · ), which are equal to
the numbers +1 or −1 once a unit vector n and a “complete” state [lambda] are specified [6]. He writes these functions as

A(n, [lambda]) = ±1 2 {−1, +1}  IR, (1)

and takes them to represent the results of measuring spin components along the direction n, or detecting photons
through a filter along the direction n. As innocent as this equation may appear, it amounts to presuming incorrect
topology for the EPR elements of physical reality. This topological error is further obscured by Bell in the probabilistic
reformulation of his theorem, where the above function is expressed as a purely probabilistic statement of obtaining
measurement results [13]. To recognize the seriousness of this error, let us rewrite Bell’s local function as a map

An([lambda]) : IR3 times; [LAMBDA] −> S0 (2)

where IR3 is the real space of unit vectors, [LAMBDA] is a space of complete states, and S0 is a unit 0-sphere

I kind of mangled that in a copy and paste, so I tried to fix it a bit, but the underlined is really my point.  Uncertainty with application to wave mechanics doesn't just hold that we can't measure complete states, but that they don't really exist as collapsed, precise, states by the nature of a wave itself.

The premise here seems to be that uncertainty is wrong, that wave mechanics are wrong; it seems that the writer is assuming hidden variables from the get-go.

However, it is 2:00 a.m. so I may be *completely* misreading this.  This probably requires a re-read later.

See.

Blake wrote:

Poor reading comprehension much?

Lie much?

Quote:

You are perfectly capable of reading my posts.  I'm not going fishing for you. 

We both know its because you haven't got any evidence that you have mentioned quantum logic or statistical inference in any of your attempt at discussing the logical implications of QM.

If you don't have the evidence don't make the assertion, it's irrational.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Yeah, but

butterbattle wrote:

Yeah, but then, a lot of people on this forum would deserve one. I think it should only be given to the most knowledgeable members; otherwise, it loses meaning.  

I don't want it until I feel like I'm really knowledgeable. I don't feel like I'm really knowledgeable. Having a shiny badge under my username isn't going to give me an ego boost unless I feel like it accurately represents me. If it doesn't, then I'll just feel like an ass.

Perhaps so, but I haven't seen all that many here engaging in scientific discussion (even in the science section, it's kind of muted compared to the number of members).

It's not about an ego boost, but to mark those who have a distinct interest in and knowledge of science for visitors.  It might be relevant to have some sort of benchmark- such as 'we want the top 1% to have this'- even under those circumstances, you'd probably qualify (do you know any geology, biology, or chemistry?  Chances are you do; I'm just curious, because that would strengthen my argument that you deserve one).

Quote:
But, we covered it again in my intro to quantum mechanics class. It was used to help with understanding the concepts, as well as giving us an opportunity to apply Dirac notation.

I don't remember ever having covered polarization in modern physics- about half of which was basic quantum- although I could be wrong here.

To what extent does one remember things from five years prior that one never uses?

You could be right that it was covered; I probably can't write integral notation from calculus anymore either.  These are things I never use.  I could ask my physics professor by e-mail if we covered it, but I'm not inclined to (particularly if we did!).

Unfortunately, I was never very interested in Quantum mechanics while I was in school- it struck me as a bunch of memorization of numerous arbitrary qualities- charm?  Seriously?- it was kind of funny, but I didn't see the use.

That is, until I got out of school, and started hearing substantial amounts of bull from theists.  That's when I found it prudent to study for myself, and I've learned more on my own than in classes- though the background, and being able to draw memory of the explanations and labs in class were very useful.

Quote:
Based on your post, I think you probably understand light polarization and trigonometry and that you don't really know anything about Dirac notation or why light polarization would come up in an intro to quantum mechanics course.....disappointing.

As a demonstration of the properties of probability waves, I suppose- it's still not a very good way to do it.  We spent time on double slit experiments and the uncertainty principle.

We also focused more on radiation emission- like Spectroscopy, and radioisotopes, which is *much* more relevant to the actual properties of quantization.

Those particular labs I strongly agreed with (the radioactive ones were *very* fun).

We had quite a few great labs- screwing around with polarized light, though, was not one I remembered (beyond perhaps half a day on it, using the cosign equation).

If you're in a school where they don't let you play with radioactive isotopes and carcinogenic [supposedly] oil-sprayers, maybe they substitute in polaroid films?

I'm not going to question my old university's curriculum now, since it's really not relevant.

Quote:
I understand that you're a physics minor, but I find it very hard to imagine how you could take an intro to quantum mechanics course at any major university without ever seeing a "ket," so perhaps you never took a quantum physics course as part of your minor?

Basic physics, Modern Physics (largely quantum and relativity), some math-physics (a bunch of calculus), a little thermodynamics, and digital/solid-state stuff.  I never took E&M, which I was slated to take the following year.  I think the math part of wave mechanics was pushed into E&M in my university, and relativity and the more general introduction was in Modern Physics; to my knowledge we had no specific course designated explicitly as intro to quantum physics.

As to polarized light, though:

The only point where it really becomes a half-decent demonstration for quantum mechanics is where it becomes unintuitive (Perpendicular or 45 degrees is obvious, even given the false impression that it's just a mixture of two kinds of light and one is being blocked).  What isn't as obvious is that one can never fully filter light out without using a polarization exactly opposed to it.

The only thing I found interesting in class was that one could arrange filters like so:

Vertical ---- _none_ ---- Horizontal --->

And block out the light, but that adding another filter:

Vertical ---- _45 degrees_ ---- Horizontal --->

Allows through much of the original light (25%, it should be [not accounting for any filtering done by the vertical polarization]).

This can be intuitively understood through uncertainty as that filtering component collapsing a dimension of the light, thus allowing it to expand back out in the other dimension.

While it was being discussed that day, I recall daydreaming about how it would make an interesting sort of key, wherein the key allowed a light source to reach voltaic cells on the other side, generating precise voltages to permit entrance by way of an electronic lock.

And either way, I would like to remind you of the theory of the Luminiferous aether, which also offers explanations to this effect (far fetched, yes, and wrong for other reasons, but nonetheless).

Forgive me for saying so, though; it's a pretty lame visual.  

Double slit is *far* more interesting.  As are Bose_Einstein condensates, where the velocity is confined by extremely low temperatures, allowing the distribution of the liquid helium wave functions to expand and drastically change the nature of the substance by doing so.

We did solve for uncertainty in a few ways, and that was interesting.  I would argue that the more visual examples, while harder to teach the math for, are actually more useful for understanding of what's happening.

I wish I could say we had condensates as a lab; but they are a much better demonstration, even just on video.

If you can make a good apologia for memorizing ket notation in particular, I will; but as it stands, I don't see how it would be useful for me right now.

Your argument that my class probably taught it is possible, and if the case, would seem to indicate that I've forgotten it, which to me would be a further point against its usefulness.  I do understand a vector when I see one, and a probabilistic one makes plenty of sense.

The are other things I've forgotten that haven't been useful either- like the opposite of charm.  No... I guess that's "strange".  Okay, I probably remember all of those- but that's only because they're funny.

Anyway, my point is; there are more important things I can spend my time on.  Recently my primary interest has been moving in the direction of material science and microbiology.

Quote:

Blake wrote:
Question for you:

(I got that one wrong on the final once- I'll never forget it again)

Off the top of my head, is it due to another lesser known elementary particle?

Nope.  It's Bremsstrahlung radiation (I always have to look up the spelling of that one), also known as stopping/"braking" radiation.  It's the photon emitted from an accelerating charge (in this case, decelerating electron), and a form of very important secondary radiation.

Pretty cool, eh?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, I'm going to start

Eloise, I'm going to start saying your name more, Eloise, as this apparently makes an argument more convincing and condescending to you.

Eloise wrote:

Wrong. You were not talking to me:

Eloise, that makes *much* more sense, thank you for clarifying (it would have been nice if you had posted the context in the first place). 

The argument you referenced, Eloise, was made in opposition to the same kind of argument you, Eloise, were making; I was wondering why I would have been foolish enough to try to explain anything like that to you Eloise.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Eloise.

I suspect, as butterbattle has not asked for clarification, he or she understood my point.

Quote:

Have you noticed that when I say you're wrong I show some evidence that proves it. Why can't you do this? You no longer have the excuse of a ten word limit.

I've explained this.  Eloise, why are you incapable of understanding it?

I don't believe that you, Eloise, are capable of learning or being corrected on this matter.  Eloise, I don't wish to waste my time fishing through posts.  The minute it takes to reply to you at all is more than enough wasted time for the evening, Eloise.

Eloise, as I've repeatedly stated, I'm happy to do so for others because they-unlike you, Eloise- are capable of learning things that conflict with their assumptions, and aren't guided by dogma in the way that you, Eloise, are.

Quote:
Blake wrote:

and that reverse time travel (relative to a reference frame) is not in conflict with logic insofar as it is not "circular" in a way that allows the creation of a "time machine".

Who cares. You're so ignorant of what you're saying no amount of time I give you to correct yourself is enough.

Eloise, this is exactly my point; you, Eloise, don't even bother to understand an argument you disagree with.

Eloise, It's funny that you think that you're 'giving me time to correct myself'.

You see, Eloise, (or more likely don't see) I made the assumption pretty quickly that you were incapable of learning or correction regarding a matter of your dogma- which I have honorably become part of.  At least I can admit this.  Eloise, you're fooling yourself if you think you've been giving me the benefit of the doubt; you, Eloise, decided long ago not to listen to anything I say, but rather just to comb through my posts looking for things to focus on for attack.

Eloise, combing through your posts is something I don't have to do- the "target" is just too big to miss.

Quote:
I have given you three full days grace to demonstrate that you understand the basis of relativity is the postulate 'nothing can exceed the velocity of light' and you continue to trot out this lame logical paradox nonsense instead.

Oh noes!  My sacred three days are up!  Woe is me!

Eloise, please, in your great generosity, grant me an extension!

Quote:
How about you take some of your own advice, stop being so closed-minded and be open to the possibility that You are the one who is wrong.

Eloise, this is hilarious.  Thank you.

Quote:
You can claim that if you like, but as more and more it becomes apparent that you can't make a valid statement about physics until someone else posts it first you'll have nowhere left to go.

Eloise, you're becoming more incomprehensible.

The statements I've made have been valid, but in disagreement with the ideas you hold, Eloise, which is why you consider them invalid.

Insofar as you're setting the rules for yourself, Eloise, of course you won't- can't- believe anything I've said has been legitimate. 

If I didn't paraphrase it from Bob, I probably paraphrased it from a text-book or a professor from five years ago- boy, I just can't stop "parroting".  I also keep using these words called English, and everybody is using them- I'm obviously entirely derivative.

Quote:

It was both but mostly guesswork. You guessed that the polarisation was linear at 45 degrees. If your guess had been wrong because you didn't understand the notation your answer would have been wrong too.

Eloise, I appreciate that you seem to be admitting that you can't understand vector math without being fully familiar with the exact notation being used.  For the rest of us, Eloise, I would like to inform you that this is not the case.

And Eloise, I believe that even *you*, if you tried, could recognize and solve a vector problem with an unknown form of vector notation.  I at least trust in you to not be that dense.

Quote:
Plus you applied cos^2 which if the angle had not been 45 degrees would have also given you the wrong answer. The Polaroid blocks cos^2 and lets through sin^2.

You were lucky.

Edit: Oops my bad, I have been corrected, it is sin^2 that's absorbed if it goes along x... Sorry.

How embarrassing.  One would think, Eloise, that this would increase one's humility slightly... this seems not to be the case here.

Lucky for you, Eloise, you still have rationalization to prove to you that I have no idea what I'm doing.  That *could* have been a close call if you were sane. *Phwew!*

Quote:
Lie much?

Not at all, Eloise.  How about you?

I'll answer it for you, Eloise:  Probably not, because delusional people (Eloise, this means you) actually believe what they're saying is true.  This is why I won't argue with you, Eloise.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

All events, whether mental, such as conscious choices, or purely physical, happen from some mix of deterministic and random effects. 

Okay. There's an interplay between determinism and randomness. (Indeterminism does not necessarily imply that everything is random.)

BobSpence1 wrote:

Quantum randomness is only a 'deathblow' to the idea that materialism implies pure determinism. That assumption was already shaky from the implications of chaos theory.

You're moving the goal posts here. Yeah, you can redefine materialism in order to make it compatible with immaterialism. But what have you accomplished? You simply rendered both terms meaningless.

BobSpence1 wrote:

But chaos theory is deterministic. And I believe that MWI is a deterministic interpretation. Isn't this the main reason why scientists favor it?

I agree that MWI is not a scientific theory; it's an interpretation - a metaphysical interpretation (as are all interpretations of QM...with the possible exception of the Copenhagen or Standard Intepretation....which basically says: Just do the math and don't attempt to reflect upon the metaphysical implications of the math.)

Also, I never said that QM interpretations are without any value. In fact, I see MWI as being valuable - a valuable basis to argue for the MMI (i.e many minds interpretation). I'm not against infinite worlds especially when it provides support for infinite minds.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Conscious choices which are not based on some prior information or thought, ie a 'cause' , are the equivalent of a coin-flip, ie, random. If you have a reason for your choice, that is a cause.

I believe you stated earlier that mental choices involve both deterministic and random elements. Right?

Incidentally, I would employ the term "spontaneous" in regards to conscious behavior, rather than the term "random."

BobSpence1 wrote:

Actual events, at either the physical or mental level, have varying degrees of randomness.  The results of actual thought processes contain low degrees of of randomness, therefore randomness cannot be evidence of the existence of conscious will.

If you are making the argument that actual thought processes involve a degree of randomness (I prefer the term "spontaneity" here), then why not? 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yeah, that's one interpretation. But I fail to see how this rationally supports an argument for materialism. You're implying that physical events are occurring without physical causation. 

By the way, where do you stand on quantum entanglement? Will your next tactic be to move the goal posts again and argue that nonlocality is compatible with our present understanding of materialism?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Perhaps so, but

Blake wrote:
Perhaps so, but I haven't seen all that many here engaging in scientific discussion (even in the science section, it's kind of muted compared to the number of members).

It's not about an ego boost, but to mark those who have a distinct interest in and knowledge of science for visitors.  It might be relevant to have some sort of benchmark- such as 'we want the top 1% to have this'- even under those circumstances, you'd probably qualify (do you know any geology, biology, or chemistry?  Chances are you do; I'm just curious, because that would strengthen my argument that you deserve one).

Top 1%? I'd definitely qualify if you tallied up everyone that's ever posted, but probably not if you only count the frequent posters. 

I have a pretty good understanding of how evolution works just from discussing and debating it online. Other than that, I know very little about geology, biology or chemistry. I am planning on taking a biology/chemistry course or two in the future though. 

Quote:
I don't remember ever having covered polarization in modern physics- about half of which was basic quantum- although I could be wrong here.

To what extent does one remember things from five years prior that one never uses?

We only discussed light polarization for a day or two, so you probably wouldn't remember that if your class covered it, but we've been using bra-ket vectors the entire quarter, and they're standard notation in quantum physics, so I expected you to at least recognize it.

Quote:
You could be right that it was covered; I probably can't write integral notation from calculus anymore either.  These are things I never use.  I could ask my physics professor by e-mail if we covered it, but I'm not inclined to (particularly if we did!).

Lol. Seriously?

I can't imagine ever forgetting what an integral looks like. That tall, slender, f shape is ingrained into my brain. 

Quote:
What isn't as obvious is that one can never fully filter light out without using a polarization exactly opposed to it.

Right.

The measurement collapses the state. A photon either goes through the Polaroid sheet or it doesn't; there are no half photons. So, if, hypothetically, you only had a single photon, and you sent it at a sheet, then you know virtually nothing about the state of the photon before the Polaroid sheet.

Quote:
As a demonstration of the properties of probability waves, I suppose- it's still not a very good way to do it.  We spent time on double slit experiments and the uncertainty principle.

We also focused more on radiation emission- like Spectroscopy, and radioisotopes, which is *much* more relevant to the actual properties of quantization.

Those particular labs I strongly agreed with (the radioactive ones were *very* fun).

We had quite a few great labs- screwing around with polarized light, though, was not one I remembered (beyond perhaps half a day on it, using the cosign equation).

If you're in a school where they don't let you play with radioactive isotopes and carcinogenic [supposedly] oil-sprayers, maybe they substitute in polaroid films?

Yeah, actually, we spent a lot more time on double slit experiments (diffraction, reflection, interference) and Spectroscopy too. I don't even remember using Polaroid sheets in lab. We probably didn't.

I only brought up the light polarization question because it was used at the beginning of my modern physics course as an introduction to some of the basic math and ideas used in quantum physics. After that, we discussed Stern Gerlach experiments, which were a lot more relevant, but more complex, conceptually and mathematically.    

Quote:
Nope.  It's Bremsstrahlung radiation (I always have to look up the spelling of that one), also known as stopping/"braking" radiation.  It's the photon emitted from an accelerating charge (in this case, decelerating electron), and a form of very important secondary radiation.

Pretty cool, eh?

Ah, interesting. I think my professor might have mentioned that in passing. If he did, I probably forgot it because of the long name. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Come on Butter, this thread

Come on Butter, this thread is getting to polite.  Inject some harsh invective into it so we can start the nerd rage again.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:That

butterbattle wrote:
That tall, slender, f shape is ingrained into my brain.

f?  I've always thought of them as S's, but that's probably because cursive f's always denoted a function...  Time for my favorite equation:  Sex=f(un)  lol

As for the science freak badge, when I asked, I wasn't sure what standard was used, i.e. whether knowledge in science relative to to the general public, any site posters, or frequent posters.  Since I couldn't figure it out, I asked, assuming that if Brian and the mods didn't think I'd deserve it, then I wouldn't have gotten it.  I think by the standards of me getting one, you, nigel, AE, and others should have them too.  From your view, I shouldn't, and agree, the only field I can claim expertise of some sort is mechanical systems, which are entirely useless in theistic debate.  However, I have strong interest in psychology and physics, so I like to learn about them as much as possible.  I was hoping the badge might distinguish me as someone mathematically and scientifically inclined so if I asked questions about a particular science I'd get more detailed responses. 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote: f? 

v4ultingbassist wrote:

f?  I've always thought of them as S's, but that's probably because cursive f's always denoted a function...  Time for my favorite equation:  Sex=f(un)  lol

Oh, actually, now that I think it about, you're probably right. I think it was intended to be a long S. 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Okay. There's an interplay between determinism and randomness. (Indeterminism does not necessarily imply that everything is random.)

Actually I think it does, unless you can define what alternative we have to something on the spectrum between fully determined by preceding events within the current context, on the one hand, and pure stochastic processes described by probability functions on the other.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

You're moving the goal posts here. Yeah, you can redefine materialism in order to make it compatible with immaterialism. But what have you accomplished? You simply rendered both terms meaningless.

You are correct, to an extent. The terms 'materialism' and 'immaterialism', especially in the way you insist on applying them, and to a significant extent, 'determinism' and 'indeterminism', have been rendered virtually obsolete by more current concepts, influenced strongly by insights from chaos and complexity theory, Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and Neuroscience

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

But chaos theory is deterministic. And I believe that MWI is a deterministic interpretation. Isn't this the main reason why scientists favor it?

But it is unpredictable, so it has attributes of both classical determinism and indeterminism, which is why those terms can no longer be taken as mutually incompatible categories, but two ends of a continuum. It is not really an 'interpretation', except as a likely explanation for processes in nature which are understood to be basically 'deterministic', yet seem be fundamentally unpredictable. We can explicitly model chaotic processes to any desired degree of approximation, so it is more than just an interpretation.

Quote:

I agree that MWI is not a scientific theory; it's an interpretation - a metaphysical interpretation (as are all interpretations of QM...with the possible exception of the Copenhagen or Standard Intepretation....which basically says: Just do the math and don't attempt to reflect upon the metaphysical implications of the math.)

Also, I never said that QM interpretations are without any value. In fact, I see MWI as being valuable - a valuable basis to argue for the MMI (i.e many minds interpretation). I'm not against infinite worlds especially when it provides support for infinite minds.

There is no justification for the 'MMI' interpretation. MWI does not necessarily imply infinities, and QM does imply conscious 'observers'.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I believe you stated earlier that mental choices involve both deterministic and random elements. Right?

Incidentally, I would employ the term "spontaneous" in regards to conscious behavior, rather than the term "random."

Amounts to the same thing, it you want to be technically correct. The distinction you make is really a matter of ordinary, non-technical, usage.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

If you are making the argument that actual thought processes involve a degree of randomness (I prefer the term "spontaneity" here), then why not? 

I see nothing meaningful about a conscious process which can be precisely modelled by the equivalent of a series of coin-flips. IOW it is the non-random decisions and judgements based on pre-existing information which make something worth calling a thinking mind. An element of randomness is important as the source of new information, creativity, as with the evolutionary algorithm. That element of chaotic/random process, filtered thru the constraints of the emotional and reasoning aspects of our mind, stops us behaving like the archetypical 'robot'. 

I see no need for any other from of 'indeterminism'. Feel free to try and define one.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yeah, that's one interpretation. But I fail to see how this rationally supports an argument for materialism. You're implying that physical events are occurring without physical causation. 

By the way, where do you stand on quantum entanglement? Will your next tactic be to move the goal posts again and argue that nonlocality is compatible with our present understanding of materialism?

If you mean the 'classic' form of reductionist materialism, then of course, these ideas, are incompatible with that. What I have been trying to explain to you, with little apparent success, is my current understanding of what you could call, more accurately, 'physicalism', or 'scientific naturalism'.

All that is required of a coherent new theory is that it provides a better model of the observations than what it is replacing or revising, makes good testable predictions, etc.

It redefines, updates, our 'present understanding' of reality. 

When the progress of thought leads to ideas which no longer fit into some existing label or paradigm, then that label should no longer used. 

Nonlocality, acausality are now part of our current understanding, at least a mathematical sense, even if we may have not come up with a generally agreed physical interpretation.

Ideas and understanding continue to advance, Paisley. I have never tried to argue for your straw-man version of 'materialism'. I have told you this many times. That does not automatically mean there is only the alternative of your even less relevant concept of some form of dualism. I have consistently argued against your misconceived ideas, and for a new synthesis incorporating the results of Quantum Theory.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Top 1%?

I always thought of it as a hybrid between f and s when I drew it- a guess the cross bars are recessive traits.  They do look too similar, though.

According to wikipedia, it's standing for "summa", so it would definitely be an s.

I remember that, but as to where to write the terms for the range/limits of integration, I'd likely mix up.  I can see on images that it's right top and bottom, which I remember now, though I might have just as well believed both go below it.

Notation is not very important to me.  Like remembering the hands in a poker game- somebody always has to tell me all of them before we start.

I do have an excellent memory, both long and short term- only my good short term memory works against my long-term memory, because with things I don't care about, I tend to cram and dump to great success (on tests, that is).

This kind of thing is *very* useful in drama classes, where I can memorize a play the night before.  Not so useful for math, where the stuff keeps coming up...

butterbattle wrote:

Top 1%? I'd definitely qualify if you tallied up everyone that's ever posted, but probably not if you only count the frequent posters. 

I have a pretty good understanding of how evolution works just from discussing and debating it online.

I think that's reasonable enough to qualify.  Self-learning can be more efficacious than university classes.

For example, I haven't learned anything significant about biology from classes; and I haven't had any university level biology classes (aside from casual conversation with my chemistry professor [head of bio-chemistry there]). 

While I'll agree that geology is gneiss, despite several semesters of study in university, I can pretty much just identify rocks (sedimentary, metamorphic, etc.) and various indications of different plate movements and geological time record (and the nature of temperature fluctuations on a planet, but that's partially self-taught). 

My knowledge of biology, self-taught, very likely exceeds (though it's hard to compare, quantitatively) my knowledge of geology.  Hell, my knowledge of astro-physics probably surpasses my geology knowledge, and I know less about that.

Chemistry is a counter-example, since that was a pretty intense honors course, but my point is that classes are taught to the median, which is generally somebody looking for a degree.  You could very well have learned more about evolutionary biology from internet debating and reading than from a biology class.

If you know philogenic classification, cell biology, and the basic metabolic process for glucose, you're doing pretty well.

If you want a "test", to prove to yourself that you deserve it:

If you know nine out of these ten things, you're definitely qualified:

Why seeds have mega-doses of particular vitamins or minerals in them

Why and how fruits evolved- and what fruits are

Why and how angiosperms evolved, and what their competition was

The difference between warm and cold-blooded animals

How intra and interspecies communication evolved

Punctuated equilibrium- what is means and implications

Why various skin and hair colours evolved in humans

Evolution of hearing, sight, and echolocation

Common examples of convergent evolution, and how it works

Four vs. Six+ legged locomotion

Those are some things I tend to bring up when explaining evolution, and how it helps us understand things intuitively that might be otherwise confusing.  Although I don't argue evolution with creationists (hah), I argue about it with other people who believe evolution, but have a slightly less deterministic take on it than I do (I don't believe evolution is "lucky", but rather inevitable, and I argue this case with anybody who suggests how things could have been drastically different by chance).

Examples like the E. coli long term evolution experiment, antibiotics resistance, and nylonase, are great for creationists who don't accept the premises; but those just really drive the points of basic evolution home, and aren't useful for the goofy argument of "micro-evolution".

Chemistry, aside from biochemistry (very useful), and astrochemistry (also useful)- though chemistry on the nuclear and cosmic scale is covered in physics too- isn't quite as useful to argument against deities.

Quote:

We only discussed light polarization for a day or two, so you probably wouldn't remember that if your class covered it, but we've been using bra-ket vectors the entire quarter, and they're standard notation in quantum physics, so I expected you to at least recognize it.

Might have.  If so, it was five years ago, and I was probably reading Harry Potter at the time.  I seriously don't remember it, though (not Harry Potter, Ket notation).

If it was just vector math, I probably just looked at them as vectors and did the trig, and ignored the notation.  I think we usually used arrows or something.  Or maybe I thought that ">" was supposed to be a lazy arrow.  If I was handed it on a test out of the blue, I can't imagine being confused enough to remember it.

If it worked, and got the right answer, I would very likely have forgotten it the following week.  If I got it *wrong* though, I would probably have remembered, because I would have been displeased about it.

Like Bremsstrahlung radiation- I got that wrong on the final.  I will remember it forever.

Quote:
The measurement collapses the state. A photon either goes through the Polaroid sheet or it doesn't; there are no half photons. So, if, hypothetically, you only had a single photon, and you sent it at a sheet, then you know virtually nothing about the state of the photon before the Polaroid sheet.

Which, conceptually, I think is the whole point of it.  I don't see how the math helps explain that to anybody who doesn't already understand uncertainty.

We spent what seemed like weeks on uncertainty.  Stern-Gerlach is kind of redundant to double-slit, and while I think we probably covered it in lecture, I don't remember doing anything else on it.  Would have been fun to do more of the labs, though.  We just did oil-drop, in that regard.

Quote:

Ah, interesting. I think my professor might have mentioned that in passing. If he did, I probably forgot it because of the long name. 

Stopping radiation might be easier to remember, but I like some of the strange, long names.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Oh, actually, now that I think it about, you're probably right. I think it was intended to be a long S. 

I've come to view it as not a letter at all but as a conceptual symbol. It reminds me of a flourish underline turned on it's side and in my mind I see it as loosely drawn representation of an underline (suggestive of 'Under the line' which the integral volume is) , it's an analogy that flows really well when it comes to adding the limits of a definite integral (ones you have to define for yourself from a problem) since you can "see' the 'long s' as though it were the section of curve/function you're integrating and your limits just fall out naturally as the end points of the picture in your head.  

∫ <--- html is &int;

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Actually I think it does, unless you can define what alternative we have to something on the spectrum between fully determined by preceding events within the current context, on the one hand, and pure stochastic processes described by probability functions on the other.

But doesn't QM itself involve both deterministic and random aspects (see quote below)?

Quote:

The time evolution of wave functions is deterministic in the sense that, given a wavefunction at an initial time, it makes a definite prediction of what the wavefunction will be at any later time.[29] During a measurement, the change of the wavefunction into another one is not deterministic, but rather unpredictable, i.e., random.

(source: Wikipedia: Quantum mechanics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

You are correct, to an extent. The terms 'materialism' and 'immaterialism', especially in the way you insist on applying them, and to a significant extent, 'determinism' and 'indeterminism', have been rendered virtually obsolete by more current concepts, influenced strongly by insights from chaos and complexity theory, Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and Neuroscience

I fail to see how chaos theory and quantum theory render the terms obsolete. I'm not exacty sure how neuroscience plays into this (unless you are invoking some quantum mind theory). But you may have a plausible argument with the theory of relativity. Are you arguing that time is relative to the reference frame and therefore non-linear (or not asymmetrical) which has implications for how we view causality?

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

But it is unpredictable, so it has attributes of both classical determinism and indeterminism, which is why those terms can no longer be taken as mutually incompatible categories, but two ends of a continuum.

But you are using two different definitions of the term "indeterminiate." Yeah, it's unpredictable for all practical intents and purposes (due to the butterfly effect) and therefore you can say that it is indeterminate because we cannot determine (or predict) the outcome. But it is still causally deterministic. And that's the issue here - causal determinism, not merely the notion of unpredictability.

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is not really an 'interpretation', except as a likely explanation for processes in nature which are understood to be basically 'deterministic', yet seem be fundamentally unpredictable.

It seems to be fundamentally indeterminate (i.e. fundamentally without physical causation). And that's the reason for the interpretation. Indeterminism is unacceptable to materialists.

BobSpence1 wrote:

We can explicitly model chaotic processes to any desired degree of approximation, so it is more than just an interpretation.

What exactly does it add to the Copenhagen interpretation (see quote below)?

Quote:

The many-worlds interpretation can be regarded as a purely formal transformation, which adds nothing to the instrumentalist (i.e. statistical) rules of quantum mechanics.

(source: Wikipedia: Many-worlds interpretation)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

There is no justification for the 'MMI' interpretation.

Depends on what criteria you require to justify an interpretation. If you are requiring scientific evidence, then MMI is not justified. But based on this stipulation, MWI is not justified either.

BobSpence1 wrote:

MWI does not necessarily imply infinities, and QM does imply conscious 'observers'.

It implies other universes - other universes for which we would never be able to observe in theory. Also, did you mean to say that "QM does NOT imply conscious observers?" If you did, that's debatable.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I see nothing meaningful about a conscious process which can be precisely modelled by the equivalent of a series of coin-flips. IOW it is the non-random decisions and judgements based on pre-existing information which make something worth calling a thinking mind. An element of randomness is important as the source of new information, creativity, as with the evolutionary algorithm. That element of chaotic/random process, filtered thru the constraints of the emotional and reasoning aspects of our mind, stops us behaving like the archetypical 'robot'.

You just contradicted yourself. Initially you state that "I see nothing meaningful" and then you proceed to argue for the importance of randomness as a "source of new information and creativity." New information and creativity are meaningful aspects of conscious expreience, as well as the idea of spontaneity (as opposed to the materialist view that conscious experience is a purely mechanical process).

BobSpence1 wrote:

I see no need for any other from of 'indeterminism'. Feel free to try and define one.

I don't either. I'm content with the present definition(s). But it would appear that you believe the definitions have been rendered meaningless.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indeterminism

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

If you mean the 'classic' form of reductionist materialism, then of course, these ideas, are incompatible with that. What I have been trying to explain to you, with little apparent success, is my current understanding of what you could call, more accurately, 'physicalism', or 'scientific naturalism'.

The term "physicalism" is a term that is primarily employed in the philosophy of mind (and even here it is used interchangeably with materialism). Non-reductive physicalism is actually an oxymoron because it implies that consciousness does not reduce to the physical (hence the qualifier) and therefore is nonphysical.

"Scientific naturalism" is simply another term for "scientific materialism" (unless you are implying that "naturalism" is compatible with a belief in the nonphysical).

BobSpence1 wrote:

All that is required of a coherent new theory is that it provides a better model of the observations than what it is replacing or revising, makes good testable predictions, etc.

It redefines, updates, our 'present understanding' of reality.

New scientific theories must make new predictions. They also must be falsifiable. MWI makes no new predictions beyond what is already made in the Copenhagen or Standard Interpretation (which is an instrumentalist interpretation, not a metaphysical one). Also, MWI is not falsifiable. Therefore, it is merely an interpretation and interpreting the nature of reality is ultimately a metaphysical endeavor, not a scientific one.

BobSpence1 wrote:

When the progress of thought leads to ideas which no longer fit into some existing label or paradigm, then that label should no longer used.

Agreed. The new physics has rendered all versions of materialism obsolete.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Nonlocality, acausality are now part of our current understanding, at least a mathematical sense, even if we may have not come up with a generally agreed physical interpretation.

Eminent physicists do not agree with your strictly materialistic interpretation of QM. This would include John Archibald Wheeler  - who was the advisor for Everett's doctorate thesis "Relative State Formulation of Quantum Mechanics" (which is the basis for the "many-worlds" interpretation).

BobSpence1 wrote:

Ideas and understanding continue to advance, Paisley. I have never tried to argue for your straw-man version of 'materialism'. I have told you this many times. That does not automatically mean there is only the alternative of your even less relevant concept of some form of dualism. I have consistently argued against your misconceived ideas, and for a new synthesis incorporating the results of Quantum Theory.

Apparently, your new brand of "materialism"  is compatible with dualism (i.e. non-reductive physicalism), with the notion that every physical event does not have a physical cause,  and with the notion of "spookiness occurring at a distance."

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

But doesn't QM itself involve both deterministic and random aspects (see quote below)?

Of course. I was referring to indeterminism itself.

I may have slightly misunderstood what you were expressing there. I was assuming you were referring to some other form of 'indeterminism' than purely random processes.

Quote:

Quote:

The time evolution of wave functions is deterministic in the sense that, given a wavefunction at an initial time, it makes a definite prediction of what the wavefunction will be at any later time.[29] During a measurement, the change of the wavefunction into another one is not deterministic, but rather unpredictable, i.e., random.

(source: Wikipedia: Quantum mechanics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I fail to see how chaos theory and quantum theory render the terms obsolete. I'm not exacty sure how neuroscience plays into this (unless you are invoking some quantum mind theory). But you may have a plausible argument with the theory of relativity. Are you arguing that time is relative to the reference frame and therefore non-linear (or not asymmetrical) which has implications for how we view causality?

Actually, the modern ideas of matter and energy, especially as in Relativity, had already rendered the 'materialism/immaterialism' distinction problematic, since in the old paradigm, 'energy' was clearly NOT material, whereas now we see 'energy' as fundamentally an aspect of matter.

Chaos and Quantum a-causality undermine the view that 'materialism' implied that only purely 'mechanical' interactions could occur, and therefore everything in that view had to be purely deterministic. Chaos theory demolished that idea - 'mechanistic ', 'mechanical' systems could display total unpredictability, which is counter-intuitive. QM further entangled pure randomness into the behaviour of material objects.

I mention neuroscience to point out that even what was regarded as the absolute opposite of the world of matter, the mind and consciousness, were being shown as intimately tied to material processes. Studies of the matter and material processes in the brain have been showing the 'mechanisms' giving rise to at least some lower-level aspects of mind.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

But it is unpredictable, so it has attributes of both classical determinism and indeterminism, which is why those terms can no longer be taken as mutually incompatible categories, but two ends of a continuum.

But you are using two different definitions of the term "indeterminiate." Yeah, it's unpredictable for all practical intents and purposes (due to the butterfly effect) and therefore you can say that it is indeterminate because we cannot determine (or predict) the outcome. But it is still causally deterministic. And that's the issue here - causal determinism, not merely the notion of unpredictability.

You have it backwards. My argument is precisely that those two forms or 'definitions' of 'indeterminate' are indeed fundamentally of the same origin.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is not really an 'interpretation', except as a likely explanation for processes in nature which are understood to be basically 'deterministic', yet seem be fundamentally unpredictable.

It seems to be fundamentally indeterminate (i.e. fundamentally without physical causation). And that's the reason for the interpretation. Indeterminism is unacceptable to materialists.

'Indeterminate' does not mean "fundamentally without physical causation" - that is an interpretation in itself. It means that the cause, if any, is unknown, unknowable, and it is not restricted explicitly to 'physical' causation. It may be used when meant to imply 'uncaused', as an opposite to 'determined', I guess, but you are bending the formal definitions of the words already.

Specific classes of chaotic processes involving non-linear feedback can display modes of behaviour that are unpredictable in the strict sense, ie infinitely sensitive to initial conditions, or alternative expressed as requiring infinite precision to calculate the outcome. This is a mathematically certain fact.

I think that ultimately it is an artificial distinction to try and maintain between 'uncaused' and 'chaotically indeterminate'. You find the idea that material/physical processes can encompass essentailly uncaused events unacceptable.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

We can explicitly model chaotic processes to any desired degree of approximation, so it is more than just an interpretation.

What exactly does it add to the Copenhagen interpretation (see quote below)?

The quote you just referred to was about the general topic of indeterminate physical processes and chaos.

It is only relevant to any discussions and interpretations about QM in that is demonstrates that non-determistic processes don't even require Quantum Phenomena - they can be come from processes comprised of purely 'deterministic' elements. It is the nature of the interactions, ie non-linear feed-back, which can give rise to such effects.

I assume you are back to the MWI, but what you quote already contains my answer about MWI.

Quote:

Quote:

The many-worlds interpretation can be regarded as a purely formal transformation, which adds nothing to the instrumentalist (i.e. statistical) rules of quantum mechanics.

(source: Wikipedia: Many-worlds interpretation)

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

There is no justification for the 'MMI' interpretation.

Depends on what criteria you require to justify an interpretation. If you are requiring scientific evidence, then MMI is not justified. But based on this stipulation, MWI is not justified either.

Such interpretations require no justification beyond their ability to help us make intuitive sense of what they describe. If they actually helps us formulate new theories, that is one of the hoped-for results of thinking about them.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

MWI does not necessarily imply infinities, and QM does imply conscious 'observers'.

It implies other universes - other universes for which we would never be able to observe in theory. Also, did you mean to say that "QM does NOT imply conscious observers?" If you did, that's debatable.

That was a typo - QM does NOT imply conscious observers.

I presume you meant 'never be able to observe [even in] theory". Maybe not 'observe', but we can detect the effects of their existence, ie Quantum phenomena. That is the point of the interpretation.

Some interpretations of MW do not really imply many totally independent universes -  they are intertwined, only separate to the degree that they represent different timelines.

I will continue with this response in a separate post, it is getting a bit long.

Back in a bit. 

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Of course.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Of course. I was referring to indeterminism itself.

I may have slightly misunderstood what you were expressing there. I was assuming you were referring to some other form of 'indeterminism' than purely random processes.

I think we're confusing the theists here.

These things are practically indeterminate (Chaos, from our perspectives), and relatively indeterminate (QM, indeterminate from within relativistic reference frames), but could still be said to be objectively determinate.

BobSpence1 wrote:

You have it backwards. My argument is precisely that those two forms or 'definitions' of 'indeterminate' are indeed fundamentally of the same origin.

That is: practical indeterminacy?

I don't think determinism has ever expressly demanded potential for humans to determine the outcomes (far too many variables); it was only a hypothetical.

Chaos may be practically indeterminate, but in other respects, it is still determinate *and* causal.

Not to say that all determinate things are causal, but all causal things are determinate, and chaos definitely applies to that.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Specific classes of chaotic processes involving non-linear feedback can display modes of behaviour that are unpredictable in the strict sense, ie infinitely sensitive to initial conditions, or alternative expressed as requiring infinite precision to calculate the outcome. This is a mathematically certain fact.

Yes, but they are still deterministic and causal given that precision, even if that precision is practically impossible to obtain.

As the case may be, QM certainly throws a wrench in those works as well, by providing the slightest non-causal push to those conditions.

This makes it absolutely indeterminate from within our reference frame (and not just practically so).  

But speaking of *objective* determinacy (reference frame free- although there is no objective body, existent or possible, to make those predictions), it would still qualify as that [determinate].

BobSpence1 wrote:
I think that ultimately it is an artificial distinction to try and maintain between 'uncaused' and 'chaotically indeterminate'.

In so far as uncaused quantum mechanical forces will always have a large enough sway in physical reality to make any chaotic function absolutely indeterminate from our reference frame- yes.

Chaos can not be practically removed from QM, because the variables are just that small.

However, wherein we are discussing theory only (and particularly in digital applications within computer simulations, where QM doesn't hold sway), chaos by itself is still perfectly deterministic and causal.

It may be artificial to divorce the concepts from each-other, but if we accept them as independent things, it isn't artificial to make the distinction between non-causal and practically indeterminate due to chaotic functions.

I hope that makes sense.

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I want to be as precise as possible to avoid semantic confusion.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Some interpretations of MW do not really imply many totally independent universes -  they are intertwined, only separate to the degree that they represent different timelines.

I have found an effective way to explain this is the universe as a single wave phenomena itself- distinct 'branches' are potentially a bit of a misnomer, though perhaps useful for some aspects of explanation.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only really know a few of

I only really know a few of these, but I can probably guess most of them just from my understanding of evolution. 

Blake wrote:
 Why seeds have mega-doses of particular vitamins or minerals in them

Well, I have two guesses for this one. One is that the repository of resources in the seed could help the new plant grow.

Perhaps, it could also encourage animals to eat the seeds? The benefits of the animals helping spread the seeds around would probably outweigh the cost of the animals eating them.

Quote:
Why and how fruits evolved- and what fruits are

Well, fruits have seeds in them, so that might be it. 

Of course, a lot of the fruits we're familiar with are artificially selected by humans.

Quote:
Why and how angiosperms evolved, and what their competition was

No idea.

Quote:
The difference between warm and cold-blooded animals

These terms are a bit misleading. The blood of warm blooded animals aren't necessarily warmer, and vice versa. I believe warm blooded animals have the ability to regulate their body temperature internally. Cold blooded animals do not, so they must constantly make sure that they do not get too hot or too cold by changing their location, etc.   

Quote:
How intra and interspecies communication evolved

The benefits of communication seem pretty obvious. 

Intra-species communication would help with mating, territory marking, etc. It's especially important for social animals. Dolphins communicate via echolocation to hunt large schools of fish effectively. These large schools of fish (and birds, etc.), in turn, create swarm behavior by communicating with local movements. Ants and bees communicate to eat other with movements, smells, etc. about enemies, food, hive activity, etc. Etc. etc. etc.

Inter-species communication has countless uses as well. Prey-prey communication of predators. Again, predator-predator communication of territory. Even predator-prey communication. The tongue of the snapping turtle and the light on the angler fish; aren't these, arguably, forms of communication? Communication between hostile social species. Communication between species with unique, mutually beneficial relationships; there are small fish that act like dentists and clean the mouths of large predator fish. There are even birds that clean the fleas and ticks off of large mammals. Etc. etc. etc.  

Quote:
Punctuated equilibrium- what is means and implications

I could be wrong here, but to me, all punctuated equilibrium says is that sometimes, evolution happens faster. Sometimes, it happens slower.  

If you understand the principles of evolution, this is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Why various skin and hair colours evolved in humans

More sunlight >> better to have darker skin pigmentation.

Less sunlight >> better to have lighter skin.

There's more to it than that, but......lighter skin is better at absorbing nutrients? Something about melanin? 

Hair color, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Evolution of hearing, sight, and echolocation

Once again, I don't remember the details, but certainly, any mutation that gave any organism any ability that it didn't used to possess to acquire even a tiny amount of information about its environment would probably confer an advantage. Even something as minimal as being able to roughly distinguish between light and darkness would almost undoubtedly be beneficial, and the rest would be history.

Quote:
Common examples of convergent evolution, and how it works

Echolocation is a great example. Intelligence. The ability to fly. 

Eh....well, with a lot of beneficial traits, even a small step in the right direction will help. Once that first step is taken, the trait can just perpetuate and develop itself. 

Quote:
Four vs. Six+ legged locomotion

I don't know.

Four is....fast? Six is....stable? 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the comments,

Thanks for the comments, Blake.

I know what you are saying about chaotic processes being in a different category in that they are still strictly deterministic processes, as distinct from the pure randomness and a-causality of QM.

Apart from the fact that Quantum Uncertainty will kick in at a finite level of precision, with 'real' uncertainty/randomness, I am still groping toward an idea that even in a hypothetical non-quantized world, there could still be processes which behaved as effectively random, to any arbitrary level of precision, while still being comprised of 'deterministic' elements.

I am trying to dig down and conceptualize just what is the 'real' distinction here.

One category are  things like common pseudo-random number generators based on shift registers, either real (hardware) or algorithmic, implemented in software, which are precisely predictable given the initial settings, and which repeat after some finite period. These can still be perfectly adequate for 'simulating' random behaviour for many applications.

These could approach 'effective' randomness as shift-register length approached infinity.

Generation of 'truly random' digital sequences often involves a device based on the leakage or noise current across a semiconductor junction, IOW an 'analog' source of real random 'noise'. Alternatively it can be based on a radioactive source.

I obviously need to think about this a bit more....

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Well, I

butterbattle wrote:

Well, I have two guesses for this one. One is that the repository of resources in the seed could help the new plant grow.

Nope, different seeds have different vitamins and minerals in them- and in much larger amounts, and often ones the plant doesn't really need.

Quote:
Perhaps, it could also encourage animals to eat the seeds? The benefits of the animals helping spread the seeds around would probably outweigh the cost of the animals eating them.

Good guess, but the plant doesn't "want" the animals to eat the seeds, because that kills them- it's the fruit around the seed that the plant wants eaten (with some rare exceptions).  The plant wants the animals to eat the fruits, and dump the seeds.

This is why seeds have thick fibery and often nearly impermeable shells.  Many seeds also contain poisons, like cyanide, to kill whatever digests them (like apple seeds).  So, if you're eating the apple, and the seeds pass through to spread the plant, you're good.  If you're digesting the seeds, you'll get sick.

The problem with poisons is that we can easily evolve resistances to them.  This includes things like tannins, which many animals have enzymes to break down (many seeds and plants are chocked full of tannins, which precipitate proteins and vitamins and make them non-nutritious- FYI cultivated plants are "good" because they've been bread to have fewer tannins)

Vitamins and minerals, on the other hand, we need to live, and will absorb at certain ratios from what we eat.  So, these seeds have mega-doses of them to overdose any animal that is preying on them with a lethal amount.

Of course, if you mix and match, and don't eat them exclusively, they make excellent multivitamins!

This is also why many plants produce mock-estrogen, which reduces the fertility of animals that eat them.

Quote:
Well, fruits have seeds in them, so that might be it.

Yes, to spread seeds.

Quote:
I believe warm blooded animals have the ability to regulate their body temperature internally. Cold blooded animals do not, so they must constantly make sure that they do not get too hot or too cold by changing their location, etc.

Somewhat.

Actually, cold-blooded animals are quite tolerant of temperature changes- the reason for warm blood is to produce sustained accelerated metabolism and muscle function.  A cold blooded animal is typically only capable of short bursts of activity, and is incapable of activity at all on cold days- this makes them vulnerable to predation.  Cold blood is also much more efficient, though, with sparse resources or inconsistent feeding- particularly in a generally warm environment.

Quote:
The benefits of communication seem pretty obvious.

Oh, I didn't mean the benefits, but a more detailed description of the initial process of its evolution.  This is one of those supposedly irreducibly "complex things".  But the process of low level communication is probably pretty evident.

Quote:
There's more to it than that, but......lighter skin is better at absorbing nutrients? Something about melanin?

Vitamin D production occurs in the skin, and requires a certain amount of high energy light.  Dark skin blocks light with melanin (actually, the melanin absorbs it), which protects cells from damage from UV light and reduces risk of cancer.  However, in low-light conditions (far from the equator) the sunlight is more sparse, and vitamin D deficiencies develop.  The majority of African Americans, for example, are slightly vitamin D deficient, whereas this is virtually never found among White Americans.

Quote:
Hair color, I'm not sure.

Random mutation; particularly damage to MC1R and other genes that encode the formation of melanin in the hair.  This results in less melanin being formed, or Pheomelanin not being turned into Eumelanin (red/orange changing into black/brown).  The genes are largely correlated to skin pigment and eye pigment as well- similar factors to skin pigment.  Hair colour, however, was also substantially sexually selected for in some parts of Europe.

Quote:
I don't know.

Four is....fast? Six is....stable? 

It has much to do with the structure of the body, and how those legs are used in locomotion- in both cases speed and stability are needed. 

With four legs, the spine contributes to movement speed by bending the body to offset two contact points (front and back); six legs would be unneeded, and cumbersome in this process.  These legs can be thick and powerful, because the legs themselves don't have to move as quickly.  However, with a rigid body, the speed of movement depends entirely on leg speed, which requires smaller, lighter, faster legs to increase leg speed, and thus more legs to support the weight of the body can be beneficial (and in this case, additional legs are not disadvantageous because the contact points can be distributed anywhere along a plane- this is also one of the important limits on the size of six-legged animals (in addition to respiration)).

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Specific

BobSpence1 wrote:

I think that ultimately it is an artificial distinction to try and maintain between 'uncaused' and 'chaotically indeterminate'. You find the idea that material/physical processes can encompass essentailly uncaused events unacceptable.

Well, the "square root of two" cannot be determined with precision because it would require infinite calculations. However, a computer program can be written which employs an algorithm to calculate the "square root of two" indefinitely. That being said, just because you cannot predict something with mathematical precision does not necessarily imply causal-indeterminism.

I do believe there is a distinction between "quantum indeterminism" and "chaotic indeterminism." The former is acausal; the latter is not.  However, for the sake of argument, let's assume the two are one and the same. Does this imply that physical events are occurring without physical causation? Yes or no?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Well, the "square root of two" cannot be determined with precision because it would require infinite calculations. However, a computer program can be written which employs an algorithm to calculate the "square root of two" indefinitely. That being said, just because you cannot predict something with mathematical precision does not necessarily imply causal-indeterminism.

But it is still, by definition, indeterminate. And we do not have the knowledge, even theoretically, to calculate the initial conditions to infinite precision. We are trying to calculate the equivalent of the square root of a number which is approximately 2.

'Causal' is also a problem. In the case of QM, the 'cause', if anything, is the state of the Universe, or perhaps only that within the event horizon relative to that event.

Quote:

I do believe there is a distinction between "quantum indeterminism" and "chaotic indeterminism." The former is acausal; the latter is not.  However, for the sake of argument, let's assume the two are one and the same. Does this imply that physical events are occurring without physical causation? Yes or no?

What we know about these events strongly suggests that they are either purely acausal, or 'caused' by an all pervading 'qauntum foam' which is the 'cause' of Heisenbergs's Uncertainty Principle, and is unaffected by any local energy or matter states.

The bottom line is that whatever 'causes' such events it has the attribute of pure randomness.

A proposition I am suggesting is that the 'cause' is whatever defines the laws of the Universe. This applies equally to every purely 'random' event of the same class, anywhere, such as the decay of an atom of a particular type. This is the sort of thing which is consistent with the observed random timing of such events. I means that that such events are not 'caused' by any clearly identifiable event. That would be inconsistent with the observations. This is what all experiments and observation have shown - the specific timing is unaffected by anything we are able to change, or have observed changing, it cannot be any single object affecting all such atoms, because they all decay at unrelated times. So if the decay was 'caused' by another class of event, physical or non-physical (whatever that would mean here), that would not remove the problem, because that would require another separate random event for each atom. The more parsimonious conclusion is that the cause itself is simply intrinsically random. 

The probability of decay within a specified interval of time is precisely determined by the composition of the nucleus.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
I feel a little dirty for

I feel a little dirty for saying it, but Paisley does have a coherent point worth addressing.

Paisley wrote:

Well, the "square root of two" cannot be determined with precision because it would require infinite calculations. However, a computer program can be written which employs an algorithm to calculate the "square root of two" indefinitely.

This is correct.  These functions *are* strictly deterministic in the mathematical sense.  At the same time, they are also a-causal- nothing causes the square root of two.

This kind of mathematical determinism, which is a-causal, is identical to the a-causal determinism expressed in many worlds.

*Relative* to a reference frame, though, *collapse* becomes locally-indeterminate (and remains without cause), because it represents an arbitrary selection of one of those possibilities.  We can't know which will happen because all of them happen.

Quote:
That being said, just because you cannot predict something with mathematical precision does not necessarily imply causal-indeterminism.

A-causality and indeterminism are different things.  Something can be determinate without being causal- and all things are objectively deterministic (in the sense of definite fact of reality, not just applied mathematics).

A-causal determinism- as does not relate to time, like pi, or 2^0.5 (the way many-worlds is determinate objectively)

Causal determinism- as relates to time/chronology

Relative indeterminism- theoretically indeterminate from a reference frame (includes QM from our reference frame- and debatably some chaotic functions which would require more computing power than that possible within our causal sphere; which I think is Bob's point)

Practical indeterminism- Things that are deterministic/not theoretically impossible to determine, but which are practically impossible (this is where I think chaotic functions belong- even if determining them would violate incompleteness).

BobSpence1 wrote:

But it is still, by definition, indeterminate. And we do not have the knowledge, even theoretically, to calculate the initial conditions to infinite precision. We are trying to calculate the equivalent of the square root of a number which is approximately 2.

I don't think the philosophical idea of determinism ever assumed that we could know this number- just that if we did, we could calculate things.  Of course, this runs into issues like the limit in memory within our universe- incompleteness and such.  I don't believe this invalidates the consideration of it being deterministic, though.

Quote:
'Causal' is also a problem. In the case of QM, the 'cause', if anything, is the state of the Universe, or perhaps only that within the event horizon relative to that event.

It couldn't have a cause within or without, as this would imply time travel- or be deterministic based on any given "seed" (because calculation would imply time-travel).  Rather, if we consider 'cause' to be irrelevant- in the same way we would consider that of pi- I think we are answering the question more to its point.

Paisley wrote:

I do believe there is a distinction between "quantum indeterminism" and "chaotic indeterminism." The former is acausal; the latter is not.

As I have expressed above, I wouldn't call either absolutely indeterminate- except relatively indeterminate, and practically indeterminate respectively.

Quote:
However, for the sake of argument, let's assume the two are one and the same. Does this imply that physical events are occurring without physical causation? Yes or no?

That's a weighted question with several false assumptions, but to answer what you're trying to ask:  No, it doesn't imply that.  It MANDATES that physical events are occurring without ANY causation (including any hoodoo voodoo) at all.  A-causal quantum effects (relatively indeterminate) are proof against the hoodoo you support.

BobSpence1 wrote:

A proposition I am suggesting is that the 'cause' is whatever defines the laws of the Universe.

Only insofar as pi is caused- I think using that word (cause) is more prone to confuse people than not.

Quote:
I means that that such events are not 'caused' by any clearly identifiable event. That would be inconsistent with the observations. This is what all experiments and observation have shown - the specific timing is unaffected by anything we are able to change, or have observed changing, it cannot be any single object affecting all such atoms, because they all decay at unrelated times.

More importantly, they must be uncaused, or the conclusions would be inconsistent with logic.  Unless we throw out our observations of quantum entanglement (and pretty much all QM that predicts it).