Howdy!

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Howdy!

Hi, I'm new here, saw the site and thought I would join. I'm 37 and from Texas. I don't know a single atheist irl, so again, hi!

I was raised part time as a southern baptist, but never really believed in it any more than Santa.

Hope to find some like minded folks to converse with here =)

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi, I hope you like it here.

Hi, I hope you like it here.  I like it here.   There are so many interesting thoughts.  It is a good place to find new ideas.  Try to have fun, because that is in a way a wisdom in it's own.   

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whuddya mean Yuz doan

Whuddya mean Yuz doan believe in Santa?

....Welcome Rob Smiling

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good to meet you, Rob.

Fundamentalist preacher's son at this end. Like you I tried to believe as hard as I could but there was a part of my mind that when the emotions died down, returned to doubt. No doubt it was the voice of satan.

My family are insistently godly right down to my nephews and nieces (about 10 of them). It's fine to hear a 13 year old with no idea spout doctrine like it's real. Plugging ID and deity into any visible gaps. 

If you're looking for somewhere to talk to like minded people at a vibrant and often challenging level, this is the place.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
HOWDY, EH?

Welcome to the forums. Canadian here, don't let that scare you though.  We have other Texans here.  For other Texan right thinkers you might try "The atheist experience " live from Austen podcast on Sundays 4:30 to 6:00 CST.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
My dad's side of the family

My dad's side of the family were southern baptist, my grandfather was a southern baptist minister from Missouri.

Welcome...

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Whuddya

Rich Woods wrote:
Whuddya mean Yuz doan believe in Santa?

....Welcome Rob Smiling

I have a fin that says that he doesn't believe in the Easter bunny, Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinati either...

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Welcome to the forums. Canadian here, don't let that scare you though.  We have other Texans here.  For other Texan right thinkers you might try "The atheist experience " live from Austen podcast on Sundays 4:30 to 6:00 CST.

I don't do well with a lot of the atheist sites, I'm a bit of a naturalist.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum!robj101

Welcome to the forum!

robj101 wrote:
I don't do well with a lot of the atheist sites, I'm a bit of a naturalist.

Really?  

Most people on here are naturalists. Scientific naturalists, at least. I can't imagine why that would be a problem. What atheist websites did you not do well with? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't mean to infer that

I didn't mean to infer that I had actually posted on any, I perused a few and did not like them. I quoted a member here advising me to look into "The Atheist Experience" for example. I had already looked into their site, and I have been watching their vids off and on for some time. I just don't agree with the way they try to blanket some issues not directly related to non belief.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "the Atheist Experience",

"The Atheist Experience", and their other show, "The Non Prophets", are two of my favourite podcasts.

Do you object to them bringing up other topics, or the way they discuss them? I don't recall them getting too far off relevant issues, and I have listened to most of their shows.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
As a fellow Texan, welcome

As a fellow Texan, welcome aboard! And might I say, I adore your dog.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I have come, and I

Well I have come, and I leave, apparently I am too much of an ass to be here, have fun folks.

Edit: Maybe I'll stay, I hate to leave a spot with potentially interesting folks.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Rich Woods wrote:
Whuddya mean Yuz doan believe in Santa? ....Welcome Rob Smiling
I have a fin that says that he doesn't believe in the Easter bunny, Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinati either...

Stan Freberg is comedy genius!

Rumble Rumble Rumble!  Mutiny Mutiny Mutiny!

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."