*Psychology Research on Atheist Volunteerism*

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
*Psychology Research on Atheist Volunteerism*

Hi everyone,

I am currently pursuing my doctorate in Psychology and would like to do my dissertation on volunteerism in an atheist population. My only problem is finding a large enough sample to study. I wanted to do a preliminary assessment of how many people would be willing to take part in the study before I get too far into it. It would involve you sending me your email address, me emailing you the surveys and consent forms, and you emailing me the completed surveys and consent forms back. All identifying information will be removed from the surveys before being entered and analyzed and of course no identifying information will be included in any publication of results. The consent form will outline your rights to privacy.

Unfortunately, I do not have much to offer in the way of compensation for taking part in the study (school is expensive!). However, I will hold a drawing in which four separate people will win $50 gift cards to the location of their choosing. Also, bettering the world's understanding of atheists and who they are as people may be compensation enough for those who do not win in the drawing : )

Once my dissertation is completed, I will share the results in this forum as well as email a copy of my dissertation to whomever is interested.

Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in such a study.

Many thanks,

Melissa

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
are there any requirements

are there any requirements for those who take the survey other than being atheists? like location? amount of volenteering done or type of volenteering? etc....

I faced a very  simalar problem last year, so i would be happy to help if i can.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

maconnol25 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The only requirement is that

The only requirement is that you are an atheist who volunteers or has volunteered. The survey will include questions pertaining to type, frequency, etc.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
supose i qualify......maybe,

supose i qualify......maybe, iv done a very very very limited amount amount of volenteering before. il do your survey

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
sure

Have and am volunteering.  Will be glad to fill out a survey - I'm a sucker for surveys. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
sure I am in, I volunteer

sure I am in, I volunteer when I can and able to.

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I would be willing as well

I would be willing as well

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
I'll do it. 

I'll do it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Isn't polling atheists who

Isn't polling atheists who are already volunteering dirtying your sample pool?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll do it.

I'll do it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

User is offlineOffline
The thought crossed my mind

The thought crossed my mind when I first posted this, but it won't because the surveys I am using are about volunteering and looking at various factors that lie within that, such as frequency, type, etc. My question is not asking what percentage of atheists engage in volunteer work, though that would be interesting to learn.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are asking volunteers

You are asking volunteers for a study on volunteerism? Doesn't that kind of skew the results?

User is offlineOffline
No, I am asking atheists

No, I am asking atheists that volunteer various questions regarding their volunteering, in addition to other topics. So, how do atheists that volunteer respond to these surveys? And taking the reported frequency of volunteering into account.