Her family believed killing her was moral

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Her family believed killing her was moral

Girl buried alive in Turkish honour killing

bury

A girl was buried alive by relatives in a gruesome honour killing just because she reportedly befriended boys. Source: AFP

• Girl buried alive
  • Part of a 'honour killing'
  • Family accused her of 'befriending boys'

A 16-YEAR-OLD girl was buried alive by relatives in southeast Turkey in a gruesome honour killing just because she reportedly befriended boys, the Anatolia news agency reported today.

Acting on a tip-off, police discovered Medine Memi's body in a sitting position with her hands tied, in a two-metre deep hole in a chicken pen outside her house in Kahta town, Adiyaman province, 40 days after she went missing, the agency said.

A subsequent post mortem revealed that she had a significant amount of soil in her lungs and stomach, meaning that she was buried alive, forensic experts told the agency.

"The autopsy result is blood-curdling. According to our findings, the girl, who had no bruises on her body and no sign of narcotics or poison in her blood, was alive and fully conscious when she was buried," one anonymous expert said.

Medine's father and grandfather have been formally arrested and jailed pending trial over her killing, the agency said.

The father is reported to have said in his testimony that the family was unhappy she had male friends.

In honour killings, most prevalent in Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast, a so-called family council names a member to murder a female relative considered to have sullied the family honour, usually by engaging in an extra-marital affair.

But the practice has gone so far as to kill rape victims or women who simply talked to strange men.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theists talk as if

morality is some sort of magic set of rules given to us by our heavenly monkey father but morality is variable and in some cases what is moral to some is reprehensible to others. Honour killings across the arab world have a low prosecution rate - like 5 per cent. You have to think the community, in general, approves of honour killing. The 'sin' of talking to men is considered so vile in the general community that women can be killed for doing it and men considered by law courts to be justified in doing the killing.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Zombie Jesus
Zombie Jesus's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's insanity that's what it

It's insanity that's what it is...there are certain things that can be thought about and come to some form of understanding why someone would do something.To understand this I'd have to take my brain out put it in a blender and then pour it back into my skull.

All forms of tampering with human beings, getting at them, shaping them against their will to your own pattern, all thought control and conditioning is, therefore, a denial of that in men which makes them men and their values ultimate.
Isaiah Berlin

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:You

Atheistextremist wrote:

You have to think the community, in general, approves of honour killing.

Well... you have to think of honour in those kinds of communities as economy rather than chivalry. Kind of like in a really bad and violent prison. Your entire survival hangs on the balance of your reputation. The badest motherfucker makes the rules and everybody else whimpers in fear and/or plots towards power, and/or stays the hell away from the battlefield. Such is the honour of these - and I hesitate at the word - gentlemen. If in this culture somebody can plant the rumour that you can't control your women, this will be interpreted as weakness... and our honour/reputation gets questioned; perhaps even to such an extent that somebody will attack you and subjugate you. Anything that you have, or anything that you can be useful for, may at any given moment become taken away from you. You can and you will be made somebody's bitch. The only way to overcome this is by way of the state and the government acting as the worst motherfucker of them all, earning the legitimacy of power from a combination of having the biggest guns as well being fair.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

Funny how honor killings seem to be predominantly the domain of moslems, eh?

I'm sure there are honor killings in other societies but I'm willing to bet that they are on the periphery of an islamic hellhole.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:there are

Abu Lahab wrote:
there are honor killings in other societies

If you could muster the courage to take off your racist sunglasses of for some minutes, you might perhaps be able to see that these "honour killings" are in principle the same modality of action as is anything you do because you "worry about what the others might think about you". The fact that they are more common in primitive areas of loose societal structures and tribal "martial" law ought not to come as any big surprise. It is, however, unrelated to Islam.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Marquis wrote:

Abu Lahab wrote:
there are honor killings in other societies

If you could muster the courage to take off your racist sunglasses of for some minutes, you might perhaps be able to see that these "honour killings" are in principle the same modality of action as is anything you do because you "worry about what the others might think about you". The fact that they are more common in primitive areas of loose societal structures and tribal "martial" law ought not to come as any big surprise. It is, however, unrelated to Islam.

Sounds like something an Islamo-positive person would say! You wouldn't happen to be that would you now?

Of course not.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat

ClockCat wrote:
Islamo-positive

I'm a nigger-lover too. Even a liberal.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christianity/Judaism is more moral than Islam

Deuteronomy 22 

While they buried her alive, the bible prefers stoning instead. That is more moral, right?

One of my favorite text is this in Deu 22

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 

29 he shall pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

It really degrades the woman all around. She gets raped. Then the rapist buys her from her father (thanks Dad) and then she has to marry her rapist. Wonder how much 50 shekels is in today market?

I am so glad we have the Holy Bible to teach us morality.  

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:I am so

ex-minister wrote:

I am so glad we have the Holy Bible to teach us morality.  

Any act of cruelty and inconsideration for others is OK as long as a theist can convince himself his invisible friend wants this.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Wonder how

ex-minister wrote:

Wonder how much 50 shekels is in today market?

Full disclosure, I'm not a historian or economist or anything like that. My Google skills say a shekel is 0.4 ounces of silver. The market is at around $16.30 per ounce as of my typing this. That works out to $326 USD unless I made a mistake. I probably did. I'd be curious if anybody knows more about this.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:ClockCat

Marquis wrote:

ClockCat wrote:
Islamo-positive

You should be banned for that post alone, you moronic racist.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote: Marquis

Abu Lahab wrote:

Marquis wrote:

ClockCat wrote:
Islamo-positive

You should be banned for that post alone, you moronic racist.

I would much prefer crucifixion, if you don't mind.