God's Law

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
God's Law

Deuteronomy 25:11-12:11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Just a question to any of you biblical scholars/historical types - was this really that common of a problem in biblical times?   

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
Oh balls, I thought I did it

Oh balls, I thought I did it right this time...

Anyway, I just had a question for you biblical scholar/historical types - was this really that common of a problem in biblical times?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Not likely, but the Hebrews

Not likely, but the Hebrews were basically Obsessive Compulsives about touching.

They were supposed to be something like "guardians of their touch", so certain parts of the body (and often the body in general) were considered unclean (and at different times).  Basically, most of the Jewish laws amount to codified cooties.

Many of the laws are alarmist and irrational- some practical, and others not.  They were cautious to the extreme, and if something was in doubt, it seems to have been included without proper testing (though science wasn't exactly the name of the game back then so much as anecdotal evidence).

It's definitely absurd now, but one could say it served them well in an age before modern medicine, which was rife with disease.  They were a mighty powerful warmongering tribe what with all of the hygiene.  Also, sexual tension is probably good for driving bronze age weapons into enemies.

Pawn__Jones
Pawn__Jones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Funny story, this exact

Funny story, this exact situation presented itself to me just yesterday. I was fighting with the guy I sit next to in Physics class because he is an imbecile. Needless to say, we totally cut that bitch's hand off...

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker

free_thinker wrote:

Deuteronomy 25:11-12:11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Just a question to any of you biblical scholars/historical types - was this really that common of a problem in biblical times?   

Yeah. Yeah, it obviously was.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Not likely, but

Blake wrote:

Not likely, but the Hebrews were basically Obsessive Compulsives about touching.

They were supposed to be something like "guardians of their touch", so certain parts of the body (and often the body in general) were considered unclean (and at different times).  Basically, most of the Jewish laws amount to codified cooties.

Many of the laws are alarmist and irrational- some practical, and others not.  They were cautious to the extreme, and if something was in doubt, it seems to have been included without proper testing (though science wasn't exactly the name of the game back then so much as anecdotal evidence).

It's definitely absurd now, but one could say it served them well in an age before modern medicine, which was rife with disease.  They were a mighty powerful warmongering tribe what with all of the hygiene.  Also, sexual tension is probably good for driving bronze age weapons into enemies.

I'm sorry, dude. I know you are trying to pretend that I don't exist because you are an intellectual prude, and I understand that. You have a bullshit persona to keep created,  but you are full of shit.