The Rings Around Uranus

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Rings Around Uranus

I am of the mind that the name of the planet Uranus should be pronounced "yooranoos".

Or else, the question "When did they discover rings around Uranus?" can be misunderstood.

I distinctly heard "When did they discover rings around your anus?"...

To which I promptly replied "WTF do you mean? Rings around my anus?"

And she laughed...

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
 Why not just revert to the

Why not just revert to the Greek version Ouranos?

No confusion there, unlike the Latinized version.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
To add to which, a few years

To add to which, a few years ago, when one of the Voyager probes made it out there, the media in the US did not want to pronounce the name of the planet as “your anus” so they changed the stress around and made it sound like “urine-ous”.

I guess that instead of it being the place with brown rings, it became the um, “ shaft of gold liquid” planet. Yah, that pretty much precluded the concept of school boy level jokes. Or not.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Definately not the best

Definately not the best named planet...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I think the

Personally, I think the world would be a duller place without such silly little gaffes.

I remember hearing about a site called Experts Exchange opening up for experts around the world to trade expertise.
However, the domain name www.expertsexchange.com kind of gave people the wrong idea...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Inferno wrote: Why not just

Inferno wrote:

Why not just revert to the Greek version Ouranos?

No confusion there, unlike the Latinized version.

well, the confusion came when the latin version was anglicized.  the greek "ouranos" and the latin "uranus" are nearly identical in pronunciation.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I am of the

Marquis wrote:

I am of the mind that the name of the planet Uranus should be pronounced "yooranoos".

Or else, the question "When did they discover rings around Uranus?" can be misunderstood.

I distinctly heard "When did they discover rings around your anus?"...

To which I promptly replied "WTF do you mean? Rings around my anus?"

And she laughed...

What else can we expect from people who pronounciate A as E, E as I, OO as U, U as YOU, Y as J, J as G and so on??? Maybe one day english language will discover the simplicity and beauty of phonetic alphabet Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:Personally, I

Strafio wrote:

Personally, I think the world would be a duller place without such silly little gaffes.

I remember hearing about a site called Experts Exchange opening up for experts around the world to trade expertise.
However, the domain name www.expertsexchange.com kind of gave people the wrong idea...

Your link is going to a parking page right now.  However, I would have to agree.  One of my favorites was an aquarium form that i was active on a few years ago.  It had the word saltwater in the swear filter.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fry: "Hey, as long as you

Fry: "Hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus." *laughs*
Leela: "I don't get it."
Professor: "I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all."
Fry: "Oh. What's it called now?"
Professor: "Urectum. Here, let me locate it for you."

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Definately not

Vastet wrote:

Definately not the best named planet...

you mean its the best named planet!

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Strafio wrote:

Your link is going to a parking page right now.  However, I would have to agree.  One of my favorites was an aquarium form that i was active on a few years ago.  It had the word saltwater in the swear filter.

I probably should have explained it better - it wasn't intended as a link.
The domain was ww.expertsexchange.com
i.e. it could also be read as "expert sex change"
I think they changed the domain name so it's no longer called that - I expect that's why it now links to something random.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: that

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

that is the funniest fucking picture i have seen in years, and i can't completely grasp why.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:Answers in

Strafio wrote:

Strafio wrote:

I think they changed the domain name so it's no longer called that - I expect that's why it now links to something random.

Oh, you did not have to explain it, I saw the reference as quite obvious.  Hence the reason why I mentioned the other example.  Just in case you missed that, the key reason for the issue was the spelling "sal-twat-er" tripped the swear filter.  But whatever.  Just in case, I checked and amateursexchange.com is taken.  Oh well, I could have had much fun with that domain name.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
peterweal wrote:Fry: "Hey,

peterweal wrote:

Fry: "Hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus." *laughs*
Leela: "I don't get it."
Professor: "I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all."
Fry: "Oh. What's it called now?"
Professor: "Urectum. Here, let me locate it for you."

Futurama FTW!!! 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Strafio wrote:

Strafio wrote:

Oh, you did not have to explain it, I saw the reference as quite obvious.  Hence the reason why I mentioned the other example.  Just in case you missed that, the key reason for the issue was the spelling "sal-twat-er" tripped the swear filter.  But whatever.  Just in case, I checked and amateursexchange.com is taken.  Oh well, I could have had much fun with that domain name.

Ha! Unfortunately I'm not quite as sharp - SalTWATer did need explaining to me.
I thought it must be some in-joke about the aquarium owning moderators hating the open sea or something...

"Freedom for Nemo shall not be mentioned in this forum!!"