Russia Bans Religious Cult Activity

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I saw this story a few days

I saw this story a few days ago, quite interesting. But I think you should maybe change the subject line, as the way I understand it, this hasn't passed into law yet.

More on topic, this strikes me as something that could so easily backfire. Giving theists of any religion, big or small, the sense of persecution will only make their conviction stronger. As an atheist, I don't want to give theists a free card to play, and the oppression card carries weight.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:maybe

JonathanBC wrote:

maybe change the subject line

I agree. I was originally thinking of titling it just as the video, but then I started thinking it should be a question.

But there is no question mark... and you can't edit an OP, so there you go.

On the subject: They are not planning to outlaw cults, just forbid them to proselytize in the public space, which I 100% support.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
JonathanBC wrote:I saw this

JonathanBC wrote:

I saw this story a few days ago, quite interesting. But I think you should maybe change the subject line, as the way I understand it, this hasn't passed into law yet.

More on topic, this strikes me as something that could so easily backfire. Giving theists of any religion, big or small, the sense of persecution will only make their conviction stronger. As an atheist, I don't want to give theists a free card to play, and the oppression card carries weight.

Agree as well. You cant force people to deconvert, all you can do is force them to be silent. That doesn't mean they have gone away, that can and does mean they resent being forced to remain silent.

Ireland is a perfect example of how things will fester. It may keep people quiet, but long term all it will do is sweep the problem under the rug. It will not make it go away.

We see the false accusation of Stalin's Russia being atheist when the fact was Russia has never stopped being religions. What has happened, under some rulers is that the state didn't want dissent, from anyone ON ANY ISSUE, religion was just one thing, amongst many that was expected not to rock the boat. But despite what theists tell you, Russia never stopped having religious people.

Here in the states I constantly get falsely accused of wanting the forceful end of religion because I constantly challenge people's religious beliefs. For the reasons you stated, I wouldn't want that. I do not want to give theists any chance at crying victim or putting them in the position of power where they can silence me. The only way to prevent my own silence is to protect their rights as well, even if I think they are full of shit.

I get down on well intended atheists and well intended believers who say "cant we all just get along" and "don't say mean things about others" and want laws passed to enforce this. This CAN backfire because what the politically correct atheist or theist doesn't seem to understand is that they may  not always live under a government that agrees with them. The only way to protect your own rights is to never put that kind of power in the hands of people you may not agree with.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:force them to

Brian37 wrote:
force them to be silent

That's not the issue. What you can do is to classify religious proselytizing as harrassment - which it undeniably is, with all its death threats and sinister manipulation of people's fears and issues. Then you can move on to prosecute and jail people who are spreading this mind virus as the criminals that they are. This is not about the freedom of speech. This is a tacit acknowledgement of the fact that volitional distribution of superstition is a crime against society. I am sorry, but I really cannot see any way of being nice about this. Religion is a disease. The only way to get rid of a disease is to isolate the agent - the virus - and exterminate it. You are a Quixotic fool if you think that "information" is going to be a sufficient cure. What is needed is some real political work in order to get these people off the streets, off the broadcasting networks, out of the schools, and away from the public space alltogether.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Marquis wrote:Brian37

Marquis wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
force them to be silent

That's not the issue. What you can do is to classify religious proselytizing as harrassment - which it undeniably is, with all its death threats and sinister manipulation of people's fears and issues. Then you can move on to prosecute and jail people who are spreading this mind virus as the criminals that they are. This is not about the freedom of speech. This is a tacit acknowledgement of the fact that volitional distribution of superstition is a crime against society. I am sorry, but I really cannot see any way of being nice about this. Religion is a disease. The only way to get rid of a disease is to isolate the agent - the virus - and exterminate it. You are a Quixotic fool if you think that "information" is going to be a sufficient cure. What is needed is some real political work in order to get these people off the streets, off the broadcasting networks, out of the schools, and away from the public space alltogether.

You should not link ANY personal issue language to COMMON LAW,

You already said it "HARRASSMENT". It would also be Harrassment to hit on a co worker repeatedly.

It is illegal to cause harm, or advocate harm of others. THAT is what needs to be inforced. Attaching words like "religion" and "hate" to law language leaves the door open for bias.

FOR EXAMPLE:

"Jesus is fiction"

Do you want a Christian judge, cop, politician or jury deciding FOR YOU that what you said was hate?

Ireland has blasphemy laws now and I doubt very seriously those laws would favor atheists.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to step back and

I'd like to step back and reframe this. You have to set a few ground rules to debate or else both sides end up throwing straw men. Marquis, how do you define free speech and why doesn't proselytizing fall under that umbrella?

StrawberryJam
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Minor quibble

Brian37 wrote:

We see the false accusation of Stalin's Russia being atheist when the fact was Russia has never stopped being religions. What has happened, under some rulers is that the state didn't want dissent, from anyone ON ANY ISSUE, religion was just one thing, amongst many that was expected not to rock the boat. But despite what theists tell you, Russia never stopped having religious people.

The Russian Orthodox are theists and they reffered to themselves at the time they were not allowed to openly worship "The Church in hiding"

The interesting thing the Catholics did, was in one of the damn Marian apparitions asked the Catholic faithful to pray for the "conversion" of Russia, when the higher ups knew damn well what was happening there. Ironic! They are all nutcases.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:Marquis,

JonathanBC wrote:

Marquis, how do you define free speech and why doesn't proselytizing fall under that umbrella?

I am aware of this conundrum. All I can say is that one person's freedom of speech can never imply another person's duty to listen. There are also issues of invasion of your privacy here. The 'message' of religion is an insidious one, often promising things they cannot possibly deliver. In this respect, they are con artists who are preying on people's doubts and anxieties, whereas the only useful thing they provide is company and a sense of belongig to a group that is sharing something 'special' (which of course is serious enough in its own right). 

However, I am not meaning that religion should be banned or outlawed, only that their 'freedom' to present their 'message' should be limited much the same way that people's 'freedom' to take sexual advantage of others (who might be in a vulnerable place like that) are strictly limited both by law and custom. I myself feel the same kind of disgust for what to me is the same type of predatorial behaviour. Let there be religions, by all means. But let them be 'passive', in the sense that they can only supply legally where there is an explicit demand, and quit being pushy.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I did some googling

Well, I did some googling and it seems that the venomous snakes of Russia are all of passive temperament and have fairly weak venom. So they are more than welcome to our pentecostal snake handlers.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Marquis wrote:JonathanBC

Marquis wrote:

JonathanBC wrote:

Marquis, how do you define free speech and why doesn't proselytizing fall under that umbrella?

I am aware of this conundrum. All I can say is that one person's freedom of speech can never imply another person's duty to listen. There are also issues of invasion of your privacy here. The 'message' of religion is an insidious one, often promising things they cannot possibly deliver. In this respect, they are con artists who are preying on people's doubts and anxieties, whereas the only useful thing they provide is company and a sense of belongig to a group that is sharing something 'special' (which of course is serious enough in its own right). 

However, I am not meaning that religion should be banned or outlawed, only that their 'freedom' to present their 'message' should be limited much the same way that people's 'freedom' to take sexual advantage of others (who might be in a vulnerable place like that) are strictly limited both by law and custom. I myself feel the same kind of disgust for what to me is the same type of predatorial behaviour. Let there be religions, by all means. But let them be 'passive', in the sense that they can only supply legally where there is an explicit demand, and quit being pushy.

Quote:
I am aware of this conundrum. All I can say is that one person's freedom of speech can never imply another person's duty to listen

Please tell me where I claimed people should be forced to listen to you or me or anyone? Freedom of speech does not garuntee an audience. I agree. "Freedom of speech" only garuntees your right to say something without fear of GOVERNMENT having you arrested.

I get tired of atheists and believers missing my point.

THE LAW is already there in our common  interest of not wanting to be physically harmed. When ANYONE, believer or atheist, start demanding laws being free from being offended WHAT THEY forget is that the powers that be may not always agree to what that is. By giving that kind of power to others you can potentially end up silencing yourself.

THE BEST WAY FOR ALL on either side is to agree that we won't physically harm each other. By agreeing to that common interest it frees us up to COMPETE with our words without fear.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
agreed

I agree with Brian37, far too meny people think that thier right to free speach, REQUIRES me or anyone to listen to it!  No one is forced to listen to anyone elses rantings;  call it the FLIP side or the DOWN  side of free speach.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Sterculius
Sterculius's picture
User is offlineOffline
I reject the idea of State

I reject the idea of State Based ideologies.

I believe only through freedom can we have a reasonable society where rights are upheld.

The most rational way to govern is to base it on freedom.

Freedoms to and freedoms from.     I heard someone say that your freedoms extend your arms length.    So, yeah someone is free to speak to you but you're free to tell them to get off your property (yet another point of common law) and you're free to ignore them or tell them to get fucked.

The more you try to surpress an idea the more people cling to it and in fact it spreads to others.   Take for example the Roman persecutions of christians.   I think that you might not have seen christianity become anything more than a small judaistic cult if it weren't for the roman emperors trying to stomp them out.    I think it is possible that christianity would have been an otherwise indistinguishable cult of the day and might very well have died out.

That's why governments don't work that are based on strict ideologies and remove the freedoms from others. Invariably taking freedoms (religious or otherwise) from others leads down that road. I think the 20th century 'athiestic' governments like soviet russia or albania were great examples of failures of ideologue states which were due to reactionary policies after being oppressed by religious governments. So instead of striking a balance and allowing religions to die of their own accord they struck back and hard and in the process we can see that those kind of systems just don't work.

Want to know how to get rid of religions? We evolve out of our adolescent need for it as a society and as a species.

Religion is a societal concept which you might call the primordial ancestor of science. It was a first stab at explaining the universe and we're quickly outgrowing our need for it.  It was also a primordial ancestor of law.

Sure it will take a long time to occur but eventually it will just be a quaint cultural footnote in our evolutionary and societal past.   I don't want to see an athiestic taliban any more than I want a christian or muslim taliban.   It would be just as stupid.

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such."
Homer Simpson

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Having watched the video, it

Having watched the video, it kind of sounds reasonable.
It doesn't outlaw preaching altogether, just in certain places like hospitals and mental homes where people are especially vulnerable.