Atheists Worship Secular Humanism!

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
Atheists Worship Secular Humanism!

I will be posting a few of my responses to the Bible Thumpers that write in to my local paper every now and then.  (I am neither Stanley J. Schulte Jr. nor Ronald W. Martin)

Ray Sigler,

"Two letters appeared in the Dec. 16 paper from Stanley J. Schulte Jr. and Ronald W. Martin denigrating an individual and the Holy Scripture."

"I feel sorry and pray for them and their unbelief."
And we will continue to think for you.

"They do have a god. They worship what is known as secular humanism."

Secular humanism is a philosophy, not a religion, and certainly not a "god" that is worshiped. 

"I feel sad for them because they don't really understand the Holy Scriptures and the truths it holds for them and all mankind."

What truths...?

"The Holy Scriptures predate any historical writings of mankind's existence on this earth."

Absolutely not, Cuneiform dates back as early as 8000 BC, Egyptian hieroglyphics about 3000 BC, and there were various other written languages in between.  Furthermore, I would hardly refer to the Old Testament as "historical." 

"The oldest document is the book of Job (which may very well have been recorded on cuneiform clay tablets) which is a philosophical discussion about God and who he is."

While you are correct the that Book of Job is regarded by many scholars as the oldest book in the Bible, it is still predated by many other writings.  Scholars estimate that the earliest form of the Book of Job was written no earlier than about 1500 BC. 

"The next oldest is the early part of Genesis, which is an oral history of early mankind. The invention of the Hebrew language probably began with Moses."

Really? I was under the impression that the different languages originated when the Christian god decided to scatter humans throughout the earth and "confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech" as described in Genesis 11 1:9.

Ancient myths aside, the Northwest Semitic Languages (The three branches being: Ugaritic, Canaanite (Hebrew is part of this subgroup), and Aramaic) formed around 3000 BC.

"Much of the Holy Scripture has been verified over and over again by scientific archaeological exploration."

So, because the Bible describes ancient cities that actually existed, therefore it is true.  By this logic (or lack thereof) we can conclude that because the "Trojan War" took place in history that Iliad is not only an accurate historical representation of the events of the Trojan war, but also proof that the Greek gods exist.

"Many reputable scientists believe in God and Jesus. They know God can crate a world any way he wishes."

Argument from authority.

"It really boggles one's mind to try and fathom God, an ultimate supreme being of such power and an intellect; so magisterial beyond our human frailty to understand."

Okay.

"It appears that these two individuals don't understand or have not really read the Holy Scriptures."

What makes you think that your interpretation of the Bible is so much more valid?

"It is full of allegory, parable and truths that really take some time to work out. Accepting Jesus can give them freedom to love, peace in their heart, joy that is bountiful instead of all the negative things their letters implied."

So, if I don't accept Jesus, I will never have the freedom to love, peace in my heart, or joy? 

This really didn't deserve to be touched on considering its nothing more than an appeal to emotion.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:

free_thinker wrote:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-style-parent:"";
line-height:115%;
font-size:11.0pt;"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-fareast-"Times New Roman";}

false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Oh... okay

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon

stuntgibbon wrote:

free_thinker wrote:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-style-parent:"";
line-height:115%;
font-size:11.0pt;"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-fareast-"Times New Roman";}

*snip* MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 *snip*

Oh... okay

... WOW... I.E 4? seriously?

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I submit myself as exhibit

I submit myself as exhibit A.  I'm atheist, and I'm not a humanist.

I think secular humanism is silly and misguided.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"It is full of

Quote:

"It is full of allegory, parable and truths that really take some time to work out. Accepting Jesus can give them freedom to love, peace in their heart, joy that is bountiful instead of all the negative things their letters implied."

They forget to mention it is also full of primitive myths and misunderstandings of reality, erroneous and confused thinking, contradictions, inconsistencies, etc.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Pawn__Jones
Pawn__Jones's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't lie

Reading these letters over breakfast is the best part of my morning. They just don't make satire anywhere else like they used to...

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
I love you too, Mike.

I love you too, Mike.