Religious Feelings vs. Religious Actions

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religious Feelings vs. Religious Actions

I think all human beings are hardwired to have religious feelings.

This means the awe and wonder of existence, the dread and paranoia of not really knowing, the urge and desire to find out what is what; and to make sense of this strange predicament that is the human condition, in this universe. I think these things are universal. We all have them.

Some of us have balls enough to admit that we don't now.

Others - the girly men - need a pacifyer. They need something to suck on. This is OK. There will always be things to suck on. Take your pick! Nature is filled with protruding phenomenons that respond to your eager sucking with some form of reward. Monkey see monkey do. Now, do! Do your national anthem! Suck on it boy! Do the president! Gag on his gonads! Then suck the house of representatives... and whatever else have you... (I'm actually feeling a little sick right now).

ANYWAY -

The question remains.

Among us hardlined atheists (and I seriously doubt that you will ever find anyone more militant than me)...

... what do we believe in? What's the creature comfort? What drives us? What makes life worthwhile?

My view?

I am not a judge of creation. I am thankful for life. I dig it. It rocks. It is magical and infinite.

I am left speechless when trying to fathom the universe. All I can do is admire it. And feel the beauty.

Who the fuck am I? Nobody. Yet I am alive... and I say... LET THERE BE ROCK!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Pot is legal in Norway

Pot is legal in Norway right?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I think all

Marquis wrote:

I think all human beings are hardwired to have religious feelings.

This means the awe and wonder of existence, the dread and paranoia of not really knowing, the urge and desire to find out what is what; and to make sense of this strange predicament that is the human condition, in this universe. I think these things are universal. We all have them.

Some of us have balls enough to admit that we don't now.

The question remains.

... what do we believe in? What's the creature comfort? What drives us? What makes life worthwhile?

My answer so far: http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/wonderism

By the way, calling them 'religious' feelings gives way too much credit to religion. They are human feelings. Religion has no special claim on them.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:calling them

natural wrote:
calling them 'religious' feelings gives way too much credit to religion

Point taken.

Calling them 'religious' is an act of linguistic convenience.

It would take too much space to deconstruct this complex in a proper way.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com