I Support Jesus

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
I Support Jesus

Let's be crystal clear about this: I support Jesus.

I don't support worship of Jesus, nor do I support ritual cannibalism of Jesus.

But I support his message.

He was a smart motherfucker. Smart, but also brave. He carried a message and that message was his life.

He did not worry about his social position, nor what the neighbours might think.

He did not pay any particular attention to whatever was the will of the politicians of the time.

He told his disciples to be honest and to not compromise their honesty with lies of convenience.

Jesus was a revolutionary. Possibly even a Marxist. Certainly an anarchist.

But was he the son of God? No.

Or yes. In any case, no more so that you or me. He was an example.

If, as a Christian, you live by that examole, I respect you. You get it.

However, if, as a Christian, you worship the Bible, I spit on you. You are a dog. Worthless.

All that matters is what you do. What you do. This minute, this hour; and every moment of every day.

What you do determines what you are - which is what you shall be judged by.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Paisley

jcgadfly wrote:

Paisley wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

What evidence do you have paisley that the immaterial exists without that material, besides your personal views about, what evidence do you have that the conscious exists without the brain, because to date, you have provided ZERO EVIDENCE. So Paisley, your materialism view, is well daft. Even though I am what you call a materialist, I can accept that the conscious and abstract thoughts are immaterial processes of a material functions. I don't agree with your spiritual view simply because you have no evidence to back up your claims.

Show me that the conscious can exist without any material process/entity.

This is tantamount to saying that I am an atheist but I believe in the existence of God. If you believe that consciousness is an immaterial process, then you really don't understand what the term "materialism" means. Either that, or you're suffering from cognitive dissonance.

This is why the majority of us don't know what the hell you're talking about when you pull the "atheistic materialism" crap. Atheism doesn't imply materialism.

that and your "consciousness=awareness=conscious-awareness=consciousness" definition.

I believe he called himself a materialist.

Also, if you do not know whether you are presently aware or not, then you probably should not participate in this or any other thread.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:jcgadfly

Paisley wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Paisley wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

What evidence do you have paisley that the immaterial exists without that material, besides your personal views about, what evidence do you have that the conscious exists without the brain, because to date, you have provided ZERO EVIDENCE. So Paisley, your materialism view, is well daft. Even though I am what you call a materialist, I can accept that the conscious and abstract thoughts are immaterial processes of a material functions. I don't agree with your spiritual view simply because you have no evidence to back up your claims.

Show me that the conscious can exist without any material process/entity.

This is tantamount to saying that I am an atheist but I believe in the existence of God. If you believe that consciousness is an immaterial process, then you really don't understand what the term "materialism" means. Either that, or you're suffering from cognitive dissonance.

This is why the majority of us don't know what the hell you're talking about when you pull the "atheistic materialism" crap. Atheism doesn't imply materialism.

that and your "consciousness=awareness=conscious-awareness=consciousness" definition.

I believe he called himself a materialist.

Also, if you do not know whether you are presently aware or not, then you probably should not participate in this or any other thread.

No you moron, you have to define how you are using the term consciousness because definition of what is consciousness can vary between people your definition really makes no sense as you have defined it so vaguely that almost anything can be considered Aware = consciousness fuck what do you mean by aware, an amoeba can be conscious by your defintion, which is why you lose in this little argument and much science disagrees with your definition, since many people that study this topic try to define what they mean by consciousness, you however have not really ever defined it beyond vague tersm. Hence the reason you use circular reasoning and vague terms, it gives you an out when everyone points out the error in your concepts.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Also, if you

Paisley wrote:

Also, if you do not know whether you are presently aware or not, then you probably should not participate in this or any other thread.

He was NOT stating he did not know if he was aware - he was asserting a different basis for the phenomena of 'awareness' from yours.

I am charitably assuming you have the minimal reading comprehension necessary to realize this, but you are still refusing to acknowledge that there are valid positions other than your straw-man of 'atheist (reductionist) materialism' and your incoherent vague and unnecessary dualism.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Also, if you do not know whether you are presently aware or not, then you probably should not participate in this or any other thread.

He was NOT stating he did not know if he was aware - he was asserting a different basis for the phenomena of 'awareness' from yours.

No, he was implying that my definition of consciousness as awareness was tautological or unintelligible. If you are incapable of determining whether you are aware or not, then any attempt on my part to define the term to your satisfaction will ultimately be an exercise in futility.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am charitably assuming you have the minimal reading comprehension necessary to realize this, but you are still refusing to acknowledge that there are valid positions other than your straw-man of 'atheist (reductionist) materialism' and your incoherent vague and unnecessary dualism.

You cannot identify one physical property that consciousness has. Also, you are forced to believe that you have free will in practice, even though you deny it in theory. Therefore, I can safely assume that your belief in materialism is one based on faith - a faith-commitment to a metaphysical veiw even when there is evidence to the contrary.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Paisley

latincanuck wrote:

Paisley wrote:

No you moron, you have to define how you are using the term consciousness because definition of what is consciousness can vary between people your definition really makes no sense as you have defined it so vaguely that almost anything can be considered Aware = consciousness fuck what do you mean by aware, an amoeba can be conscious by your defintion, which is why you lose in this little argument and much science disagrees with your definition, since many people that study this topic try to define what they mean by consciousness, you however have not really ever defined it beyond vague tersm. Hence the reason you use circular reasoning and vague terms, it gives you an out when everyone points out the error in your concepts.

Yes, an amoeba can be conscious by my definiton (I have no doubt that it is). In fact, you may even be conscious by my definition. So, you obviously understand what I mean by the term "awareness."

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

No, he was implying that my definition of consciousness as awareness was tautological or unintelligible. If you are incapable of determining whether you are aware or not, then any attempt on my part to define the term to your satisfaction will ultimately be an exercise in futility.

You have just repeated your error.

The first part of your response here is entirely consistent with what I said - he disagrees with your definition of 'awareness', and said nothing about 'determining whether you are aware or not'. That is a non-sequiter.

And that still does not imply that he is saying he doesn't know whether he is aware or not. Even if that made sense, one is either 'aware' or not. Awareness of your awareness is a second-order perception, ie introspection.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

You cannot identify one physical property that consciousness has. Also, you are forced to believe that you have free will in practice, even though you deny it in theory. Therefore, I can safely assume that your belief in materialism is one based on faith - a faith-commitment to a metaphysical veiw even when there is evidence to the contrary.

We are not asserting that 'consciousness' has any 'physical properties' itself - that would make it some sort of physical entity itself. Rather, it would almost be true to say that it itself is a 'property' of a physical object, ie the brain. 'Consciousness' no more has a physical property than 'length' itself has a physical extent. You are making a category error.

Name a physical property of Microsoft Windows software when it is running on a computer. What is its height, weight, velocity, pressure, etc.?

Not that of the images that it causes to be generated on the screen, that would be the equivalent of something we might draw on paper.

Nor of the disc it was installed from, or the Hard Drive it is running from - they are just the static information defining its running behaviour and responses, like the genetic code which defined our brain structure, plus the books and experiences we have encountered.

Does its lack of such physical properties mean it is 'supernatural'? It interacts with us, it makes decisions, does that mean it is in some separate realm, or that it is merely an 'epiphenomena'?

I am trying to get across to you that there are whole categories of referents which are neither physical objects nor transcendental or even in quite the category of 'mind', although some clearly share some attributes of mind and consciousness. They are all connected, but different in nature so you either have to expand 'dualism' to 'multi-ism' or acknowledge that reality is more of a continuum, from brute physical matter to structured matter to process to 'higher-level' abstractions like mind and consciousness.

What is more accurately described as my lack of belief in dualistic ideas is due to my finding them ill-defined and unnecessary in providing useful explanations of reality to me - that is all.

There is nothing that compels me to 'believe in 'free' will, I am pretty much aware of all the things which determine my decisions, the memories, desires, moods, memories, reasoning, etc, if I think about them. I genuinely cannot imagine what else could be contributing to my decisions, and all those things together clearly determine my choices. I have no intuitive or theoretical problem with that.

Apparently you don't see your choices from that perspective. OK, just don't assume that I have the same perspective on my mental processes that you have on yours. It has become abundantly clear over the time we have been interacting on these forums that we do think very differently, so that should not be a surprise...

You clearly have no insight into my thought-processes at all. Unlike you, I will refrain from trying to analyse yours.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:latincanuck

Paisley wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Yes, an amoeba can be conscious by my definiton (I have no doubt that it is). In fact, you may even be conscious by my definition. So, you obviously understand what I mean by the term "awareness."

Alas, no i don't know what you mean by aware, because by my definition an amoeba is not aware, and it does not have any form of consciousness. However consciousness cannot exist without the material/physical entity, aka the brain, you have yet still to prove or give any evidence that the immaterial can exist without the material. Consciousness is merely a product of a physical interaction in the brain, no functioning brain no consciousness.

As well no the amoeba using wikipedia's definition cannot be aware, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awareness as it doesn't fit the criteria.

[edit] oh as well, Jesus was a materialist, he believed not in a spiritual heaven but that the kingdom of heaven was going to come to earth and that he was going to reign over everyone, that way he didn't tell his followers to over throw the Romans, because he believed that he was going to be king over everyone on this earth, not in heaven. It wasn't a spiritual thing only.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Paisley

latincanuck wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Alas, no i don't know what you mean by aware, because by my definition an amoeba is not aware, and it does not have any form of consciousness.

I see. First you argue that if I define consciousness as awareness then even an amoeba can be conscious.   Now you're retracting your statement because I fully agree that an amoeba is aware. If you don't know what I mean by awareness, then you lack the intellectual capacity to debate me. It's that simple.

latincanuck wrote:

As well no the amoeba using wikipedia's definition cannot be aware, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awareness as it doesn't fit the criteria.

Based on Wikipedia's defintion of awareness as described below, I have every reason to believe that an amoeba is aware.

Quote:

More broadly, it [awareness] is the state or quality of being aware of something.

(source: Wikipedia: Awareness)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awareness

latincanuck wrote:

oh as well, Jesus was a materialist, he believed not in a spiritual heaven but that the kingdom of heaven was going to come to earth and that he was going to reign over everyone, that way he didn't tell his followers to over throw the Romans, because he believed that he was going to be king over everyone on this earth, not in heaven. It wasn't a spiritual thing only.

No further commentary is necessary. To say anymore than this is to give your post a modicum of respectability which it certainly does not deserve.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we all left the original topic of

Jesus being the wonder boy a long time ago. On the topic of consciousness I'm having fun following the blue brain project. The latest reports suggest the team has mapped a rat's neocortical column in a super computer, the idea being to mirror every electrical connection in a rat brain by a process of reverse engineering in order to create artifical consciousness. It's fascinating science, if a little frightening. 

I'm butting into an argument here, so excuse me Latin and Paisley but Pais - do you think it's possible for the blue brain team to create artificial consciousness or do you think the research will prove that the materialistic view of life is false?  You would think that if brains really are wet computers running vast comms links between short and long term storage bins and organic processors, the whole powered by electricity, then creating consciousness in a computer would be possible.  If you are correct, however, the team will fail. Importantly, there will be plenty of other benefits in terms of mapping the physical connections of a brain and these make the project worthwhile regardless.

It's a great bit of science for both sides of this particular argument. The projection is that a human brain will be modelled by about 2018. I'm itching to know. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

Presuppositionalist wrote:

Marquis wrote:
BTW, calling me a Christian is a deadly insult.

You support Jesus, dude. You're a Christian.

No, he said he supported the message of Jesus. That message was old when the guys who wrote him into existence were young.

The title of the thread is "I Support Jesus." Case closed.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I see. First

Paisley wrote:

I see. First you argue that if I define consciousness as awareness then even an amoeba can be conscious.   Now you're retracting your statement because I fully agree that an amoeba is aware. If you don't know what I mean by awareness, then you lack the intellectual capacity to debate me. It's that simple.

No alas your reading comprehension and the capability of defining what your talking about is the issue at hand, and this demonstrates it quite well. For the fact that using your vague definition anything and practically everything has a consciousness, there is no way to properly define what is and really isn't because you can simply slither your way out of it by being vague, which is why science disagrees with you as does the definition in wikipedia if you could actually comprehend what they are stating. If you actually read Wikipedia you can see that your definition of awareness resembles nothing what wikipedia states (although I could give you various other sources that completely refute your completely vague definition of aware or consciousness, however you seem to love Wikipedia, so lets stay with that.)

Quote:

Based on Wikipedia's defintion of awareness as described below, I have every reason to believe that an amoeba is aware.

That's nice, however the amoeba does not show any of the definitions of awareness nor consciousness so your shit out of luck on that one, which is always why scientists and many folks here tend to not use vague terms like you do, it shows that they understand what they are talking about, you on the other hand, will more like shit spews out so that your fantasy world can be superimposed on the real world.

Quote:

More broadly, it [awareness] is the state or quality of being aware of something.

that's great, however that's simply laymen's term, if you actually bothered to read the whole entry and not just use a simple one sentence part, you would understand (if this is even possible with you) that there is really a narrow definition of what being aware is, far more that simply being aware of something. Let me use one of your tactics

"primary consciousness" or "basic awareness" as an ability to integrate sensations from the environment with one's immediate goals and feelings in order to guide behavior. Just using this from wikipedia, eliminates the amoeba from being aware. It does not do this at all.

Which basically boils down to the fact that most people have no clue what you are talking about really because you change what you mean every time you talk about this, and since you refuse to properly define what you mean when you use these terms, your whole argument becomes full of holes.

Quote:

No further commentary is necessary. To say anymore than this is to give your post a modicum of respectability which it certainly does not deserve.

Your is not worth any respect either, however you haven't refuted my argument really, the fact is Jesus did believe that the kingdom of heaven was to be on earth, not a spiritual after life kingdom, but one that would take over the world and he would reign as king.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:You should

Sapient wrote:

You should know though that his intent wasn't designed to insult you, it was designed to make him feel more adequate about himself.

Shut up. Don't analyze people. You don't have the credentials.

Quote:
His secondary intent was deriving a means to dodge the crux of your post. 

I can't really dodge something that wasn't aimed at me in the first place.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Next time don't make me

Next time don't make me wait this long for the laughs presup.  

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

jcgadfly wrote:

Marquis wrote:
calling me a Christian is a deadly insult.

No, he said he supported the message of Jesus.

I shall take this as an instant crash course in the art of reading without thinking.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Sapient wrote:

You should know though that his intent wasn't designed to insult you, it was designed to make him feel more adequate about himself.

Shut up.

wow, holy shit, apparently this server has encountered a time warp and somehow connected to my little brother when he was about 12 years-old. 

hey, jay!  jay!  this is your brother from the future!  listen, don't ever shoot up!  if you do, you'll lose your left eye to an infection!

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I got a kick out of these

I got a kick out of these two juxtaposed whinings...

Shut up. Don't analyze people. You don't have the credentials.

And his law credentials are?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

jcgadfly wrote:

Marquis wrote:
BTW, calling me a Christian is a deadly insult.

No, he said he supported the message of Jesus. That message was old when the guys who wrote him into existence were young.

Which Jesus?

Jesus the man that the "son of God" character was based on?

or Jesus the "son of God" final product?

Do you even know the difference?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Next time

Sapient wrote:

Next time don't make me wait this long for the laughs presup.  

So you have taken everything I've said up to today seriously. I'm glad you consider me a deep thinker.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I shall take

Marquis wrote:

I shall take this as an instant crash course in the art of reading without thinking.

You said "I support Jesus." Therefore, you support Jesus. I realize that that's a hard leap for you to make.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:wow, holy shit,

iwbiek wrote:

wow, holy shit, apparently this server has encountered a time warp and somehow connected to my little brother when he was about 12 years-old. 

hey, jay!  jay!  this is your brother from the future!  listen, don't ever shoot up!  if you do, you'll lose your left eye to an infection!

Sapient was pretending to be a psychologist. He is not a psychologist, so that makes me mad. Your little brother was some sort of moral prodigy if he cared about these issues at 12.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Marquis wrote:

the art of reading without thinking.

You said "I support Jesus." Therefore, you support Jesus.

I also said "let there be light" this very morning, with a solemn and commanding voice.

Nevertheless, I had to actually get out of my cosy blankets and turn the switch to get results.

Darned Diggely!

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:And his law

Sapient wrote:

And his law credentials are?

Christ was a philosopher. No one needs credentials to name moral truths.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Which

jcgadfly wrote:

Which Jesus?

No, I don't.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

jcgadfly wrote:

Which Jesus?

No, I don't.

I see - you don't read your Bible or much of anything else.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I also said

Marquis wrote:

I also said "let there be light" this very morning, with a solemn and commanding voice.

Nevertheless, I had to actually get out of my cosy blankets and turn the switch to get results.

Darned Diggely!

So you're a liar.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Pressuppostionalist

How to turn a more than half interesting thread into a pointless mud sling contest in a single post.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist wrote:So

So you're a liar.

So you're an asshole.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

We are not asserting that 'consciousness' has any 'physical properties' itself - that would make it some sort of physical entity itself. Rather, it would almost be true to say that it itself is a 'property' of a physical object, ie the brain. 'Consciousness' no more has a physical property than 'length' itself has a physical extent. You are making a category error.

Length of an object can be measured. You cannot make any kind of quantifiable measurement of consciousness, or to even objectively test for its presence.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Name a physical property of Microsoft Windows software when it is running on a computer. What is its height, weight, velocity, pressure, etc.?

Not that of the images that it causes to be generated on the screen, that would be the equivalent of something we might draw on paper.

Nor of the disc it was installed from, or the Hard Drive it is running from - they are just the static information defining its running behaviour and responses, like the genetic code which defined our brain structure, plus the books and experiences we have encountered.

I am not an electrical engineer. However, I believe that the code itself is physical (i.e. the software itself is converted to machine code which consists entirely of bits - binary digits which correspond to whether the electrical current is "on" (1) or "off" (0)).

BobSpence1 wrote:

Does its lack of such physical properties mean it is 'supernatural'? It interacts with us, it makes decisions, does that mean it is in some separate realm, or that it is merely an 'epiphenomena'?

I am trying to get across to you that there are whole categories of referents which are neither physical objects nor transcendental or even in quite the category of 'mind', although some clearly share some attributes of mind and consciousness. They are all connected, but different in nature so you either have to expand 'dualism' to 'multi-ism' or acknowledge that reality is more of a continuum, from brute physical matter to structured matter to process to 'higher-level' abstractions like mind and consciousness.

Several points:

1) Conscious intelligence (i.e. a large group of computer programmers) is responsible for creating the software (i.e. the abstraction or "consciousness" in your analogy). It was not generated or created by the hardware (i.e. the physical substrate in your analogy). This is something you are failing to take into account. It has implications for freedom and emergent properties with causal-efficacy.

2) Abstractions are clearly nonphysical (by your own admission). Therefore, consciousness (which is an abstraction in your analogy) is nonphysical. This qualifies as dualism.

3) What you described is actually epiphenomenalism. The abstraction is simply a byproduct (or an emergent property) of an underlying electrochemical process. IOW, the abstraction (or pattern) does not have any causal-efficacy. 

4) If consciousness is simply the software and information processing, then am I to infer that my personal computer (which is running the Microsoft operating system) is conscious? If not, why not?

5) If consciousness is information processing, then am I am to infer than an amoeba is conscious? Remember, the amoeba is an organic computer (i.e. a stimulus-response system that processes information). If not, why not?

6) If consciousness is a CONTINUUM, then am I to infer that entire physical process has the property of consciousness. If not, why not?

BobSpence1 wrote:

What is more accurately described as my lack of belief in dualistic ideas is due to my finding them ill-defined and unnecessary in providing useful explanations of reality to me - that is all.

I call it a belief in materialism. Disbeliefs imply beliefs.

BobSpence1 wrote:

There is nothing that compels me to 'believe in 'free' will, I am pretty much aware of all the things which determine my decisions, the memories, desires, moods, memories, reasoning, etc, if I think about them. I genuinely cannot imagine what else could be contributing to my decisions, and all those things together clearly determine my choices. I have no intuitive or theoretical problem with that.

Apparently you don't see your choices from that perspective. OK, just don't assume that I have the same perspective on my mental processes that you have on yours. It has become abundantly clear over the time we have been interacting on these forums that we do think very differently, so that should not be a surprise...

You clearly have no insight into my thought-processes at all. Unlike you, I will refrain from trying to analyse yours.

I reserve the right to critique your logic. If you do not allow me this option, then there is really no point in debating.

You believe you have intentional acts (you admitted that much above). All intentional acts presuppose some kind of purposive action. However, your worldview precludes the reality of purposive action. Why? Because all  intentional acts, on the materialistic view, reduce to nonteleological (i.e. having no purpose) electrochemical processes. Therefore, purposive actions must be deemed purely illusory.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Let's be

Marquis wrote:

Wow i sure disagree with supporting "Jesus".  If he was even a real man, he supported all the laws of the bible most of which are immoral and stupid.  His message of come through me to get to heaven or be tortured in hell forever is twisted and evil. I spit on "Jesus"!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:See? The

butterbattle wrote:
See? The definition says, "all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions." So, consciousness, according to materialism, is the result of material interactions, but is not itself composed of materials.

Paisley wrote:
No, I don't see. A tornado is the result of material interactions - a funnel cloud formed by fast rotating air molecules. The "tornado" (a thing) is composed of "air molecules" (things). 

On the materialistic view, consciousness (a thing) is composed of fast moving electro-chemicals (things).

No, you're wrong. I'm sorry. You're just completely wrong.

The materialist does NOT believe that consciousness is composed of "fast moving electro-chemicals." There is not a single person on this forum that believes this. We believe that consciousness is caused by brain chemistry, but consciousness itself is not composed of anything. It's merely an abstraction, an emerging property or characteristic.  

As I've already pointed out in the wiki definition multiple times, a materialist can believe in phenomena that are the result of material interactions, but are not themselves composed of matter. In this case, the tornado does not work as an analogy because tornados ARE composed of matter.

You can change your definition of materialism or there aren't any materialists on this forum. Either way, it doesn't support the existence of souls in the slightest. Take your pick. It's just semantics.

Paisley wrote:
Whether an immaterial soul can exist independent of our physical body is a different issue from whether the immaterial soul actually exists in and of itself. In philosophy of mind, the view that nonphysical phenomena (i.e. the processes of the mind) supervene (that's the technical term) on underlying physical phenomena (the processes of the body) is actually a dualistic position because it posits the reality of an immaterial entity (i.e. the mind).

Unless you are equating mind with brain, mind is not an entity.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Paisley

butterbattle wrote:

Paisley wrote:

No, I don't see. A tornado is the result of material interactions - a funnel cloud formed by fast rotating air molecules. The "tornado" (a thing) is composed of "air molecules" (things). 

On the materialistic view, consciousness (a thing) is composed of fast moving electro-chemicals (things).

No, you're wrong. I'm sorry. You're just completely wrong.

The materialist does NOT believe that consciousness is composed of "fast moving electro-chemicals." There is not a single person on this forum that believes this. We believe that consciousness is caused by brain chemistry, but consciousness itself is not composed of anything. It's merely an abstraction, an emerging property or characteristic.  

An abstraction is clearly nonphysical. So, if you are claiming that consciousness is an abstraction and that it is not composed of anything , then you are implying that consciousness is nonphysical. This is technically known as epiphenomenalism and it is actually a form of dualism. Dualism is the view that holds that consciousness is nonphysical. Duh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphenomenalism

butterbattle wrote:

As I've already pointed out in the wiki definition multiple times, a materialist can believe in phenomena that are the result of material interactions

I've read the Wikipedia article on "materialism." You are focusing solely focusing on the phrase "material interactions" while conveniently ignoring the parts that read "all things are composed of material" and "matter is the only substance." Now, if consciousness is an abstraction and nonmaterial, then it is NOT composed of material and matter is NOT the only substance. Think! Why call something "materialism" when you believe in the reality of the IMMATERIAL?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Now, if

Paisley wrote:

Now, if consciousness is an abstraction and nonmaterial, then it is NOT composed of material and matter is NOT the only substance. Think! Why call something "materialism" when you believe in the reality of the IMMATERIAL?

consciousness is not composed of any substance at all, hoss, and perception does not substantial "reality" make.  in the strictest sense, consciousness has no "reality."  it does not "exist" at all.  in an absolute way, one can call it a delusion, but since it is a delusion that is complementary to biochemicals which obey observable laws, and this complement is fairly consistent among humans, we deduce that it is a viable means of observing "reality," or at least the most viable means currently available.  when there is an anomaly in this consistency, we can call it "delusion" in the accidental sense, or even insanity.

besides, you're missing the whole point of materialism by getting obsessed with what a materialist "believes."  materialism is not an end in itself.  the most important thing a materialist "believes" is that observing material reality is the only safe way to draw conclusions as to how the human race should proceed in order to ensure the maximum possibility of continued siurvival.

in fact, the nature of "reality" and "existence" are not primary concerns for a materialist, as even the most daft person with even a modicum of critical thinking skills can tell you that these terms are entirely relative. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Paisley

iwbiek wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Now, if consciousness is an abstraction and nonmaterial, then it is NOT composed of material and matter is NOT the only substance. Think! Why call something "materialism" when you believe in the reality of the IMMATERIAL?

consciousness is not composed of any substance at all, hoss, and perception does not substantial "reality" make.  in the strictest sense, consciousness has no "reality."  it does not "exist" at all.  in an absolute way, one can call it a delusion, but since it is a delusion that is complementary to biochemicals which obey observable laws, and this complement is fairly consistent among humans, we deduce that it is a viable means of observing "reality," or at least the most viable means currently available.  when there is an anomaly in this consistency, we can call it "delusion" in the accidental sense, or even insanity.

The view that you are espousing is known as "eliminative materialism." I cannot think of anything more irrational. Consciousness is axiomatic (i.e. self-evident). Any attempt to deny it, presupposes it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliminative_materialism

iwbiek wrote:

besides, you're missing the whole point of materialism by getting obsessed with what a materialist "believes."  materialism is not an end in itself.  the most important thing a materialist "believes" is that observing material reality is the only safe way to draw conclusions as to how the human race should proceed in order to ensure the maximum possibility of continued siurvival.

I believe you are conflating dialectical materialism with scientific materialism.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:This view that

Paisley wrote:

This view that you are espousing is known as "eliminative materialism."

ok.  well, i see "materialism" in there, so i'm cool with that.  whether or not you consider it rational means about as much to me as the price of butternut squash in omaha.

Paisley wrote:

I believe you are conflating dialectical materialism with scientific materialism.

once again, the only argument i was making had to do with materialism period, so i have no idea what you're trying to prove with that statement, unless it's merely to make me ooh and ah.

by the way, i said absolutely nothing that would narrow my arguments down to the realm of dialectical materialism.  as i am someone who is extremely well-read in marx, engels, rosa luxemburg, plekhanov, lenin, trotsky, ernest mandel, victor serge, mao, isaac deutscher, the young sidney hook, robert tucker, neil harding, and slavoj zizek, i would think twice before trying to bullshit me on the topic of dialectical materialism if your knowledge of it is, as i suspect, no deeper than a wikipedia article.

then again, no one ever listens...  

--Hunter S. Thompson

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:An abstraction

Paisley wrote:
An abstraction is clearly nonphysical. So, if you are claiming that consciousness is an abstraction and that it is not composed of anything , then you are implying that consciousness is nonphysical.

No. 

I don't think physical and 'being made of matter' mean the same thing.

Consciousness is an abstraction of natural phenomena; ergo, it is physical, AND it is NOT composed of anything.  

Paisley wrote:
I've read the Wikipedia article on "materialism." You are focusing solely focusing on the phrase "material interactions"

I am focusing on the phrase, "all phenomena are the result of material interactions." Again, this means that the materialist can believe in phenomena that are caused by the interactions of materials, but are NOT themselves made of materials.  

Paisley wrote:
 while conveniently ignoring the parts that read "all things are composed of material"

Consciousness is not a "thing."

Paisley wrote:
and "matter is the only substance."

Consciousness does not have any substance.

Paisley wrote:
Now, if consciousness is an abstraction and nonmaterial, then it is NOTcomposed of material and matter is NOT the only substance.

Material is the only substance. Consciousness is NOT an "immaterial substance." It is NOT a substance.

Paisley wrote:
Think! Why call something "materialism" when you believe in the reality of the IMMATERIAL?

I did not invent the definition of materialism. I consider myself a materialist because I believe the definition accurately describes me. I think this is, for practical purposes, a better definition anyways. If materialists couldn't believe in abstractions, then virtually no one would be a materialist. What word would we use to describe our difference in perspective?  

I don't believe in "immaterial" crap like souls or angels. I believe in abstractions of phenomena that are the result of natural processes; the abstractions themselves obviously do not require any substance as they do not "exist" in any real way. There isn't any consciousness "thing;" consciousness is just a convenient but scientifically inept term, like "morality" or "meaning."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I did not

butterbattle wrote:

I did not invent the definition of materialism. I consider myself a materialist because I believe the definition accurately describes me. I think this is, for practical purposes, a better definition anyways. If materialists couldn't believe in abstractions, then virtually no one would be a materialist.

That's not my problem. I'm not a materialist. But I do feel your pain.

butterbattle wrote:

I believe in abstractions of phenomena that are the result of natural processes; the abstractions themselves obviously do not require any substance as they do not "exist" in any real way.

Well, if consciousness is really just abstractions and abstractions really don't exist, then I guess there's no point in debating you any further on this subject. Why? Because you really don't exist.

MattyB
MattyB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Let's be

Marquis wrote:

He was a smart motherfucker. Smart, but also brave. He carried a message and that message was his life. 

He did not worry about his social position, nor what the neighbours might think.

He did not pay any particular attention to whatever was the will of the politicians of the time.

He told his disciples to be honest and to not compromise their honesty with lies of convenience.

You say that you support Jesus's message (the Jesus the Bible speaks of) and that the apostles were honest and sincere (and so were the writers of the Bible, to the best of their ability).  Yet you say that Jesus was not God?  I'm confused by this.  Please observe:

"After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." - John 17:1-5

Here, Jesus says that He was with the Father before the creation of the world.  Yet you say that He is not God.  One could say that Jesus was a lesser god or an angel, or a pre-thought.  But 1 John 4:3, the apostle says that God is love.  Love requires more than one person to exist.  If we say that God is love, then we automatically testify that God is more than one Person in Himself.  Therefore, Jesus is God.

The only thing to do is rule out that the book of John isn't true.  Then that person wouldn't be able to accuse anyone else of altering the Bible and Christian religion by adding to it, when they hypocritically remove from it.  It's a no win situation for those who say that Jesus was good, but not God.

Quote:

However, if, as a Christian, you worship the Bible, I spit on you. You are a dog. Worthless.

All that matters is what you do. What you do. This minute, this hour; and every moment of every day.

First you tell people that they can't worship the Bible, yet you insist that the only thing that matters is what 'you' do?  Hypocrisy!  Honestly, I'm don't believe in the worship of the Bible either, but I don't insult anyone for it, nor do I insult you for insisting that your way is right and everyone else is wrong.  I take it that you meant to imply that it was your opinion that the only thing that matters is what you do.  If you can hold such opinion yet consider Bible worshipers as worthless dogs, then what do you think that says about you?  I thought that this was a rationality forum.

The Gospel verses Religion=God-made vs. man-made

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:butterbattle

Paisley wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

I did not invent the definition of materialism. I consider myself a materialist because I believe the definition accurately describes me. I think this is, for practical purposes, a better definition anyways. If materialists couldn't believe in abstractions, then virtually no one would be a materialist.

butterbattle wrote:

I believe in abstractions of phenomena that are the result of natural processes; the abstractions themselves obviously do not require any substance as they do not "exist" in any real way.

Well, if consciousness is really just abstractions and abstractions really don't exist, then I guess there's no point in debating you any further on this subject. Why? Because you really don't exist.

Paisley,

Your problem seems to be that you know what you're not but haven't a clue as to what you are.

— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MattyB wrote:Marquis

MattyB wrote:

Marquis wrote:

You say that you support Jesus's message (the Jesus the Bible speaks of) and that the apostles were honest and sincere (and so were the writers of the Bible, to the best of their ability).  Yet you say that Jesus was not God?  I'm confused by this.  Please observe:

"After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." - John 17:1-5

Here, Jesus says that He was with the Father before the creation of the world.  Yet you say that He is not God.  One could say that Jesus was a lesser god or an angel, or a pre-thought.  But 1 John 4:3, the apostle says that God is love.  Love requires more than one person to exist.  If we say that God is love, then we automatically testify that God is more than one Person in Himself.  Therefore, Jesus is God.

The only thing to do is rule out that the book of John isn't true.  Then that person wouldn't be able to accuse anyone else of altering the Bible and Christian religion by adding to it, when they hypocritically remove from it.  It's a no win situation for those who say that Jesus was good, but not God.

Quote:

First you tell people that they can't worship the Bible, yet you insist that the only thing that matters is what 'you' do?  Hypocrisy!  Honestly, I'm don't believe in the worship of the Bible either, but I don't insult anyone for it, nor do I insult you for insisting that your way is right and everyone else is wrong.  I take it that you meant to imply that it was your opinion that the only thing that matters is what you do.  If you can hold such opinion yet consider Bible worshipers as worthless dogs, then what do you think that says about you?  I thought that this was a rationality forum.

Aren't you confusing what Jesus may have said (which we don't know because no one took anything down) and what the writers placed in the mouth of the character they created (the Gospels that came decades later). I'm sure they did believe they had the correct religion - that didn't keep them from crafting a mythology.

As for Bible worship, no one should worship a book. You may like the characters and respect the author's skill but nothing about that should lead to deifying the book itself.

The Gospels are man-made also - If there really was a God-made institution that had incontrovertible proof that it was made by God, ther would likely be no atheists.

— George Carlin

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattyB wrote:Jesus was not

MattyB wrote:
Jesus was not God?  I'm confused

Nope. Jesus was not God.

In fact, God is naught but an idea in your head (and a lot of other heads, granted).

Jesus was a man. A bit of a hippie. Probably a lot like Charles Manson (sans the murders).

I suppose we can say that Jesus = God ... insofar that one idea equals another idea, but that's where the buck stops.

You Christian (and any other kind of) believers are a bunch of delusional hypocrites.

And yes, I not only spit on you, I would even piss on you. Unless you were on fire, that is.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:That's not my

Paisley wrote:

Lol, why would it be painful? It's just semantics. 

I'm not changing the definition of materialism. That's the way it's defined. If you want to define it so that materialists can't believe in abstractions, then I'm not a materialist. It's that simple.

Paisley wrote:
Well, if consciousness is really just abstractions and abstractions really don't exist,

Abstractions "exist" as concepts; they don't exist as any actual "thing." However, abstractions are, ultimately, derived from things that do exist. 

Paisley wrote:
then I guess there's no point in debating you any further on this subject. Why? Because you really don't exist.

Uuuhh, come again?

Yes, I do. 

MattyB
MattyB's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Aren't you

jcgadfly wrote:

Aren't you confusing what Jesus may have said (which we don't know because no one took anything down) and what the writers placed in the mouth of the character they created (the Gospels that came decades later). I'm sure they did believe they had the correct religion - that didn't keep them from crafting a mythology.

As for Bible worship, no one should worship a book. You may like the characters and respect the author's skill but nothing about that should lead to deifying the book itself.

If you read my reply thoroughly, I was responding to the OP, who was saying that he supported Jesus.  What Jesus do you suppose he is talking about?  The Biblical Jesus?  Then he goes on to say that the Biblical Jesus is not God, as Christians say.  This was the context of my reply.  Whether you believe the Bible is accurate or not is not the subject here.  The OP supports Jesus, and I posed the problems with his statement. 

Quote:

The Gospels are man-made also - If there really was a God-made institution that had incontrovertible proof that it was made by God, ther would likely be no atheists.

I'm not talking about the Gospel writings.  I'm talking about the Gospel itself, something many atheists, and even many Christians, know little to nothing about.  Pastors such as Martin Luther, John Calvin, Mark Driscoll, Tim Keller, D.A. Carson, and John Piper give great detail about the Gospel, drawing from the Bible and Christian history to paint an elaborate picture of what many self-proclaimed scholars can't see.

The word 'Gospel' means good news.  Christianity, in fact, did not start off as a religion, as many treat it.  Christianity started off as 'good news.'  This news was the God became a man and proclaimed the glory of God through his death on the cross, and our salvation through his death and resurrection.  We are not only saved from our sins, but also from an life of futility.  Those who believe are those who say Jesus as good news to them.  Those that don't refuse the Gospel because it does not benefit them in the way that a repeatable observation and formula would. 

The Gospel is not about men, as you would suppose.  The Gospel is God with us in Jesus, unlike what Marquis proclaims.  The Gospel does not benefit us in this lifetime as some televangelists proclaim, but is meant for the glory of God.  This can be thoroughly portrayed in John chapter 17.  Many also suppose that Jesus died in response to our sin, meaning that God was ignorant of it.  But the Gospel shows that Christ was slain before the foundations of the world so that He may be glorified by those that praise Him.  If Jesus was not God but just a man, then what He did on the cross was not a tribute to God but a tribute to man.  You can call that religion.  But, since Jesus is God, then Jesus honored the Father through his tribute on the cross and put men to shame for their wickedness.  The person believing will have to face the fear of oppression when it comes to Jesus.  Do they keep it God-made and God-centered in the Gospel, or do they alter it to be man-made and man-centered?  People who cling to religion do so not out of love for God, but for love of themselves; whether it is to escape trouble by going to heaven, or escape hell to settle for a better deal.  The Gospel is God's story, not man's.

Religion, came much later, when the Romans wanted to solidify what it meant to be a Christian in the Roman Empire.  (c. 325 C.E.)  This was done at the request of Constantine I and legislated through a series of councils, starting at the Council of Nicea, where the Nicene Creed was developed.  Before this, we see Christians having nothing to call Christian but the Spirit within them that helped them endure the seemingly endless oppression at the hands of the people that called them fools. 

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gee Matty

MattyB wrote:

Before this, we see Christians having nothing to call Christian but the Spirit within them that helped them endure the seemingly endless oppression at the hands of the people that called them fools. 

Gee Matty, don't go getting all misty eyed on us, will you. Seemingly endless oppression. Yeah, right. And Martin Luther never poured molten lead down the throats of the Hugenots? The inquisition never happened? Hell was not conceived by the men who manufactured your psychotic monster god? I s'pose you believe Nero burned christians to light up his courtyard BBQs?

Victimhood is a particularly indulgent form of self pity. The sooner you get over it and take responsibility for your own life the better.

MattyB
MattyB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Nope. Jesus

Marquis wrote:

Nope. Jesus was not God.

In fact, God is naught but an idea in your head (and a lot of other heads, granted).

You mean, the Jesus of the Bible?

Marquis, I've already proven you wrong in this assumption.  You must go by another Jesus than the one that everyone came to know of through the Bible if you insist to support him.  Maybe you are talking about a Spanish man living in Central America??

Quote:
Jesus was a man.
  Yes, a Jew as a matter of fact.  And He was God.  I don't know too many men that can raise from the dead on their own permission.

Quote:
A bit of a hippie. Probably a lot like Charles Manson (sans the murders).
  The Jesus of Revelation 19 that slays men with the sword that comes out of His mouth?  The Jesus that treads the winepress of God's wrath?  He doesn't sound like a hippie to me....

Quote:

I suppose we can say that Jesus = God ... insofar that one idea equals another idea, but that's where the buck stops.

For you, you mean?  Why should I forget my conscience and where it is at just to express an idea?  I understand that we all have our beliefs, and they differ.  But I don't hold on belief and call the others valid.  There is no wisdom in doing such thing, for it goes against conviction.  I have often found conviction to be the wise ruler of my members to produce the best and most virtuous fruits in my life.  If I go against it just to appease others, then I have admitted that I don't even believe in my belief.

Quote:

You Christian (and any other kind of) believers are a bunch of delusional hypocrites.

I thought that this was a forum full of rational people.  Where is the rationality in your response?  I see more emotion than rationality in your words.  You call me a hypocrite, which indeed I have been.  Yet you are so intolerant and hateful toward me?  Sir, I'd rather call you friend than enemy.  We can learn much more from each other that way.

Quote:
And yes, I not only spit on you, I would even piss on you. Unless you were on fire, that is.

Thanks for showing everyone that atheism is not the answer to social woes.  Take care.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Correction Matty

MattyB wrote:

And He was God.  I don't know too many men that can raise from the dead on their own permission.

[

You don't know anyone who can raise men from the dead. If you do know some one feel free to point them out and we'll all go watch them flesh out corpses. Until you can prove this your impossible claims are a fantasy in your own head.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
 damn Atheistextremist you

damn Atheistextremist you beat me to it Eye-wink Matty how can you honestly make these claims? by your logic i could read a comic book and say the same shit about my favorite super hero.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Also OP are you sure Jesus

Also OP are you sure Jesus was such a great man? Matthew (5:17) "Think not that I am come to destroy the law:I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." etc...
Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn't the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
mohammed wrote:  damn

mohammed wrote:

damn Atheistextremist you beat me to it Eye-wink Matty how can you honestly make these claims? by your logic i could read a comic book and say the same shit about my favorite super hero.

hmmmm...i smell arguments for the historicity of the bible coming...

get ready to smash 'em, boys!

--Hunter S. Thompson

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattyB wrote:Marquis, I've

MattyB wrote:

Marquis, I've already proven you wrong in this assumption.

All you have proven is that you are a Bible positivist. And that you have investments in that delusion.

The quite amusing irony of all this is that the Christians were, during their first couple of hundred years, popularily referred to as "the atheists" - because they refused to accept the idea that a man can become a god, i.e. the status of the Roman emperor. Pretty much the same way that atheists today refuse to accept the same idea.

Do you not know that the Bible was created at the council of Nicaea in 325? By imperial decree? That was when the Christians stopped being Christians - and ever since then they have been... something else. It was decided - by vote - that Jesus was God incarnate and that his substance was the same as the substance of God. Which, of course, is an insane idea. Blasphemy, if anything.

It's actually a little impressive that modern people who have access to absolutely enormous amounts of information are able to fall for this crap. I suppose it takes a real effort of the mind to remain a cognitive flatliner like that even when confronted with contrary scriptures from the same time (and some of them even attributed to people who were closer to the actual story) as the gospels were written. Hello? Do you not see that you are being fucked up the ass by a political body who has a vested interest in presenting the kind of Jesus that best serves the interests of the Church?

However, at the end of the day, this all matters very little. What counts is what you do. How you live. How you relate to the world and to the creatures therein. And in that light, you Christians have nothing to be proud of. So much bullshit and so many evil deeds done towards sovreign peoples who never did anything against you. Calling yourself a Christian is every bit as respectable and praiseworthy as calling yourself a Nazi.

MattyB
MattyB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: Gee

Atheistextremist wrote:

Gee Matty, don't go getting all misty eyed on us, will you. Seemingly endless oppression. Yeah, right. And Martin Luther never poured molten lead down the throats of the Hugenots? The inquisition never happened? Hell was not conceived by the men who manufactured your psychotic monster god? I s'pose you believe Nero burned christians to light up his courtyard BBQs?

Victimhood is a particularly indulgent form of self pity. The sooner you get over it and take responsibility for your own life the better.

Wow, I guess it is true what Jesus said to his disciples, "....and the love of most will wax cold." 

It's interesting how you only noticed Martin Luther, never cited your source, and continued on ignoring the argument I posed, which was the difference between the Gospel and the gospels.  I find it deceiving what you said, and wonder if anyone else challenged your accusation of Martin Luther.  But I guess it's typical of irrational people to ridicule men so that the viewers no longer consider the argument.  I will not stand for it though.  Also, Martin Luther was a reformer, the inquisition was Catholic, and nobody follows their religion to the 'tee.'  That's because they are human, not gods. 

"These French Protestants were inspired by the German monk Martin Luther and then generally followed the teachings of John Calvin, a French theologian who preached in Geneva from 1537 to 1564."

http://www.huguenotsociety.org/history_new2.htm

And yes, Nero did torch Rome and blamed the Christians.  To downplay suffering is evidence of a degenerating heart.  I really think this might be my last conversation with you sir.  Also, I wonder if you have ever suffered.  Do you have a story to tell about your sufferings?