Invasion of the Teens!

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Invasion of the Teens!

The Noughties are almost over. The Teens are coming.

2010 is only hours away.

Someone once said to me that the so-called new year's resolution is a perfect example of how ancient votive religions still are structurally existing within human behaviour patterns. You make a promise before something of cultural importance (in this case the calendar event of the passing year count) in order to bestow your "event" with extraordinary magical powers and yourself with a sense of duty to uphold it. 

The offering bit I suppose is the act of getting royally pissed on champagne before trying to kill yourself with fireworks.

Well, all I can say is that the double zero part of this fabulous new millenium wasn't all that great.

I mean... I grew up during the height of the cold war years and reached sexual maturity at the time when AIDS hit the market.

It would be nice to have a decade with relative freedom from the fearmongers.

But then again... who am I kidding? Humans get off on being scared.

However that may be... and whoever you are, wherever; and whatever you believe...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Happy New Year to all... 

Happy New Year to all... 

And btw Marquis ~ Thanks for all of the interesting posts!!   Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
holidays.

Happy new year to one and all,  but I think that some of our Australian and Philipinno members are already into 2010.    The only question left is can Jeffrick reack 1000 post before mid-night,  stay tooned to this channel to see.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm signing off for

Well, I'm signing off for 2009.  Happy New Year, everyone!  See you ... on the flip side. (I don't know why I wrote that. I guess I wanted to sound ironically cool.  Maybe I can try actual cool next year. 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
[pedantic prick]OK, just so

[pedantic prick]

OK, just so that you know, years are something that is counted.  Therefore one must use natural numbers.  Since zero is not a number, we have one more year in the current decade. 

[/pedantic prick]

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

[pedantic prick]

OK, just so that you know, years are something that is counted.  Therefore one must use natural numbers.  Since zero is not a number, we have one more year in the current decade. 

[/pedantic prick]

Okay. I look at this. Then I look at your profile picture... and I think Godwin was onto something.

I mean.... excuse me, what?!? Is it not 2010 tomorrow?!?

Okay this calls for some serious rock'n'roll exorcism of the complicattish demons:

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Okay this

Marquis wrote:
Okay this calls for some serious rock'n'roll exorcism of the complicattish demons:

Hey! You posted the Carburetors before. Are you in the band?

In any case, it doesn't matter. We attach significance to yearly numbers in an arbitrary way. Our years are arbitrary -- if they weren't we'd start the new year on Dec. 21st, instead of Jan. 1. As for our numbering scheme -- supposed the venerate the birth year of a person who most likely didn't exist, and who's birth year we fucked up anyway. So whether we decide they're natural numbers (year 1) or computer numbers (year 0), who gives a flying fuck? It's all made up in our heads anyway!

We can celebrate them however the fuck we want.

And no-one watches their odometer to watch it roll over to 2001.

Happy Newt Years, everybody. And may this coming solar orbit bring you all a maximum of pleasure.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote: Hey! You

nigelTheBold wrote:

Hey! You posted the Carburetors before. Are you in the band?

Nah, I just like to be predictable. Call it my squatting duck fetish.

Since you're so clever (and, of course, bold), you get your own new year song. Ain't that special?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis -- Thanks. I *heart*

Marquis -- Thanks. I *heart* The Cramps.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
shitmydadsays: "Universe is

shitmydadsays: "Universe is 14 billion years old.  Seems silly to celebrate one year.  Be like having a fucking parade every time I take a piss."

I thought this was appropriate here. 

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
For some reason I thought

For some reason I thought this thread was going to be about a guy like me sitting alone at a table in front of the Animatronics at Chuck E. Cheese getting gang-molested by a horde of freshman teenage cheerleaders. God I was disappointed.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote: It would be

Marquis wrote:

It would be nice to have a decade with relative freedom from the fearmongers.

It would also be nice to be able to say, in 10 years, that we fixed more things than we broke over the course of the decade.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?