A Paradox of Science

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Paradox of Science

I am currently being fascinated by M-theory, which is an elaboration of String Theory, which is an elaboration of Supersymmetry, which is what Stephen Hawking came up with when he tried to apply Quantum Mechanics at, or very near to, the event horizon of a Black Hole (a gravitationally collapsed region in spacetime), in an attempt at moving on with Albert Einstein's Unified Field Theory.

So far so good.

Let me just assure y'all that this is the kind of stuff that will make you break a sweat when you try to grasp WTF they are talking about. In order to reach M-theory, you need to cover a lot of base first. You need to understand (by "understand" I mean to have a reasonable comprehension of what it is) both the General Theory of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. You need to accept the counterintuitive nature of these abstractions. You need to understand Black Holes. You need to read yourself up on how "stuff" was created in The Big Bang and how it was since distibuted and altered in physical processes of the Universe. Then you need to throw it all away, empty your mind, and prepare to be left in a state of "say what?" dizzyness.

So far so good.

Personally, I take perverse pleasure in wrestling with things that are bordering on the impossible to comprehend. A byproduct of this is that I have a pretty good comprehension of things on a simpler level. This, however, leads me into a paradox. It becomes hard to lead a maningful conversation about said issues with people who absolutely do NOT understand diddely squat about jack shit when it comes to physics.

Let me give you an example.

Just today I winded (wound?) up in a discussion with a female friend of mine who were trying to explain some idea of hers to me. She kept on using the word Quantum Mechanics to illustrate her point. I just couldn't get it. I mean... I have a reasonable understanding of what QM means but what she was saying just didn't compute. I had to ask questions all the time in order to try to understand her language. We finally arrived at a point when she exclaimed in an annoyed tone of voice that surely I must understand how Quantum Mechanics cannot possibly have any effect on Biology?

I was dumbfounded.

It turned out that her whole point the entire time was that there are systems that are so complicated that we can't make any equations for true predictability within them. You just gotta love those "say what?" moments. People pick up concepts and words from high end physics, then apply any goddamned arbitrary meaning to them that they bloody well please, before hurtling them at you as "explanations" for this or that wacked out idea that they in their innocence believe to be profound. This is especially true for that particular flavour of he lunatic fringe that we often label New Agers (as was the case in this here example). How the fuck is it possible to be that stupid and still think that you are smart?

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:How the fuck

Marquis wrote:
How the fuck is it possible to be that stupid and still think that you are smart?

Cut right to the chase on this one. That has nothing to do with physics. That is a paradox of normal human stupidity. Evolutionary biology pretty much requires each of us to fancy themselves as smart because being smart is a survival advantage. Further, demonstrating that you are smart enough to survive increases the odds that your cave man friends will throw in with you when it comes to defending the cave and forming hunting parties.

Hence, lots of people think that they are smarter than they really are and they try to prove it to others. In the modern world, it really doesn't help all that much that stupid people have found vastly more ways to be stupid than were available to our caveman ancestors.

Hope that helps.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
But it's funny though! I

But it's funny though! I quote from memory:

"But that is the Theory of Relativity! Everything is relative, right?"

"Uh..."

"And just how can it be a Theory of Everything unless it encompasses everything?!?"

"It doesn't mean "everything" in THAT sense..."

"Nobody can understand everything!"

"Eh..."

I am but a layman in physics and I have no God to fill in the gaps with, so I try humour.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Yep, mass arrogance is

Yep, mass arrogance is annoying. Just make sure not to accidentaly fall in with them.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
M-Theory is incredibly

M-Theory is incredibly difficult to understand without the benefit of an extensive mathematical education. Ironically, I believe that the mathematics behind the theory (which require facility with eleven-dimensional constructs) tend to obscure the elemental precepts of the theory itself. If you have the time, Edward Witten has written (I know, but it can't be avoided) extensively and lucidly on the subject. As to the moments of incredulity at the sheer ignorance or suppositionally-based arguments of our fellow humans,m I would submit the following quote from George Carlin (please excuse the statistical assumptions he makes):

"Consider how stupid the average person is; then realize that 50% of all people are stupider than he is!"

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:mass arrogance

Stosis wrote:

mass arrogance is annoying

I'm not arrogant, I'm superior. It's not the same thing.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

Edward Witten has written (I know, but it can't be avoided) extensively and lucidly on the subject.

My ignorance of mathematics is a continuous problem whenever I try to look into physics. But I like ideas that are at the far end - and for this reason I like to read the books of someone like Paul Davies (who is a borderline metaphysicist, I think). However, there are many well-informed "taken by the hand" type of documentaries (that of course olso has interviews with Edward Witten) on these issues available. The bottom line of my motivation is to keep the cognitive mehanics on their toes to avoid the complacency of "beliefs".