G'day freethinkers

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
G'day freethinkers

Hi everyone.

I'm an Australian psychologist, and have worked for many years as a clinician. I have seen so many clients whose lives have been screwed up by the religious lunacy thrust upon them as children.  In Australia, our prime minister and opposition leader are both "men of faith" ... it saddens and angers me that such apparently intelligent people can believe in such patently ridiculous concepts as hell, adam & eve, noah's ark, virgin birth etc .... and then want to continue to "teach' the sinister garbage in schools

It's wonderful to see forums such as this gaining momentum, as well as publications from authors such as Dawkins and Hitchens doing so well.  Perhaps our species is finally evolving past its need for bronze age dogma.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Be sure to check out Bob

Be sure to check out Bob Spense's posts, he too is from your country.  I just don't understand how you stay on the floor when you guys are upside down.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. Welcome!

Lol.

Welcome! Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome aboard Clive,

Welcome aboard Clive, great to have you here.

I'm curious if you've ever seen this....

"If the thesis of this article is correct, religion goes hand in hand with the basic irrational beliefs of human beings. These keep them dependent, anxious, and hostile, and thereby create and maintain their neuroses and psychoses. What then is the role of psychotherapy in dealing with the religious views of disturbed patients? Obviously, the sane and effective psychotherapist should not—as many contemporary psychoanalytic Jungian, client-centered, and existentialist therapists have contended he should—go along with the patients’ religious orientation and try to help these patients live successfully with their religions, for this is equivalent to trying to help them live successfully with their emotional illness." - Albert Ellis, the most important psychologist of our time

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Clive! First

Welcome Clive!

First question: Marmite or Vegemite?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Abu Lahab wrote:Welcome

Abu Lahab wrote:

Welcome Clive!

What about termite?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Abu Lahab

Brian37 wrote:

Abu Lahab wrote:

Welcome Clive!

What about termite?

Heathen!

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the fun, Clive.

I think it would definitely be Vegemite. Marmite is for kiwis. And it could be termite. The bastards are everywhere.

I'm curious to know if Clive thinks the Ruddbot is actually going to church because he has a personal relationship with Jesus or just for appearances?

Having heard Rudd speak a few times, he seems clever enough and canny enough, not to swallow religion.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Abu Lahab wrote:Brian37

Abu Lahab wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Abu Lahab wrote:

Welcome Clive!

What about termite?

Heathen!

REDSKINS FAN!.........Oh wait, never mind.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:REDSKINS

Brian37 wrote:

REDSKINS FAN!.

Oh, referee! Low blow!

An elementary class is talking about an upcoming career day and the teacher has asked the children to stand up and tell what their fathers do for a living. The first child stands up and says: "My daddy's a doctor, he heals people when they're sick." The second child stands up and says: "My Daddy's a lawyer, he helps put bad people in jail." The third child stands up and says: "My Daddy's a male stripper and sometimes he lets men have sex with him for money." The teacher is horrified and whisks the boy to another room and asks "Now why would you say that about your father?". The young boy, with tears in his eyes answers "I was too ashamed to tell the class that he's a Coach for the Washington Redskins."

It can only get better, Brian, AND Orakpo did make the Pro Bowl in his rookie season, so Yay!

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, I spent a

Welcome, I spent a year backpacking around from Brisbane to Sydney, spent new years in Byrons Bay, 4 months picking zuccini in Tenterfield, many day trips to NimBim haha, and caught 2 eastern brown snakes.  I love your country, great aura, wildlife in insane, many people let me stay at their homes and everyone seemed excited to show me around the land they knew.  Im glad to hear where you stand on religious beliefs,  im wondering what your response is to the quote from Albert Ellis.  What exactly is your ethical and professional path of action when working in a doctor/patient relationship with someone who believes impossible things whether its they can fly, or that someone else walked on water?  What do you do? 

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, another

Hey, another Aussie!

Welcome!

I live in Brisbane, and do software development.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Take it easy

Don't worry Abu Lahab &  Brian.  The Redskins are in San Diego this Sunday,  so they will have sunny weather,  a nearby beach and they get to see a real NFL team play football.  The experience can only help them.

Most likely Philip Rivers and other starters will be watching from the sideline,  you know the way the Redskin's starters watch from the playing feild.

Q:  What's the worst thing you can do to a masochist after you've tied them up?

A:   Nothing.     Or make them watch a Redskins game.   Witch ever makes you smile.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
BobSpence1 wrote:Hey,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hey, another Aussie!

Welcome!

That is your pass time. Your real work which deserves a Nobel Peace Prize is putting up with my ranting ass every day.

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
Velcro shoes mate

Velcro shoes mate Smiling

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
ELLIS QUOTE

That's a great quote mate - I also have struggled as a clinician with this issue - it's been apparent some client's religious indoctrination are at the centre of their neuroses, yet there is a cultural (and to some degree professional) norm that inhibits challenging one's religiois beliefs - stuff it though, if it's irrational it should be treated as such.

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
marmite or vegimite

Definitely vegimite Smiling

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
I'm so glad you had such a

I'm so glad you had such a positive experience "down under" - I love Byron Bay ... just an hour from where I live on the gold coast.

In terms of your question - it's easier for me to operate as a free agent (I'm in private practice), so I would challenge irrational religious claims/beliefs just as I would with any other area of someone's life.  It is more challenging for psychologists who work with agencies - sometimes funded by churches, or other NGOs who consider someone's religious beliefs as "sacred". 

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
another aussie

Hi Bob.

We're virtually neighbours ... I live on the gold coast - nice drop of rain huh Smiling

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome guys - you can also find me on the "FreeThinkers" page on facebook - would welcome your input.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
CliveBaby wrote:Definitely

CliveBaby wrote:

Definitely vegimite Smiling

I like Promite for variety...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

msTake
User is offlineOffline
CliveBaby wrote: ....In

CliveBaby wrote:

....In Australia, our prime minister and opposition leader are both "men of faith" ... it saddens and angers me that such apparently intelligent people can believe in such patently ridiculous concepts as hell, adam & eve, noah's ark, virgin birth etc .... and then want to continue to "teach' the sinister garbage in schools....

I hear you.  What ever happened to the seperation of church and state?  

Anyway - welcome.  

Also, just wondering what you think of meditation practices, and if any of your clients have used them.

CliveBaby
User is offlineOffline
meditation

Increasingly meditation is finding its way into mainstream practices, particularly in areas such as stress management - it's great to see what was once viewed as a "fringe" activity supported by research and counselling professionals.

OzzieJay
OzzieJay's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie !!I'm

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie !!

I'm curious... the people you've seen in your profession whose lives have been adversely affected by religion, do you think they were conscious that religion was the cause or a contributing factor to their issues ?  If so did they still hold on to their beliefs regardless ?  

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum!

Edit: Oh, this is slightly outdated.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
G'day..........mayt.

OzzieJay wrote:

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie !!

I'm curious... the people you've seen in your profession whose lives have been adversely affected by religion, do you think they were conscious that religion was the cause or a contributing factor to their issues ?  If so did they still hold on to their beliefs regardless ?  

I see you've   been a memeber fo'  damn  nigh    3 years.   Whee'r  ya  been hyddyn ...mayt?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

spent new years in Byrons Bay, 4 months picking zuccini in Tenterfield, many day trips to NimBim haha,

So, so, Hippy.

Sounds like it was a great trip, though. Sticking out tongue

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Clive, I am in a related

Hey Clive, I am in a related field. Specifically I am an non-clinical psychiatric social worker.

As a fact of my professional orientation, I deal with physicians regularly and some of those people are quasi-religious about the idea that “we have a pill for that”. I would guess that you are familiar with the basic idea. When it works, it works. All too often, it sucks.

In any case, I am a hard atheist. I hold that the notion of god needs to be proven before anyone should act on the matter. No proof, no life choices.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Hey, another Aussie!

Welcome!

Hey bobSpence1, I know that you are from Queensland. Perhaps I missed it but I was not aware of the specific city. I have had my hat in the ring for a couple of years to get some professional training from Stepping Stone Clubhouse in Bonaroo.

According to google maps, that is in your back yard. When the economy cycles around so that my company can afford it, I should be down your way.

I don't know if a six pack will make it through checked baggage or not but I am willing to disprove the assertion that American beer is like making love in a canoe. As a tradeoff, you will have to treat me to something better that Foster's.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise

Eloise wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

spent new years in Byrons Bay, 4 months picking zuccini in Tenterfield, many day trips to NimBim haha,

So, so, Hippy.

The best!!!  Hippy?  I use to be I guess, if by hippy you mean I floated around, drifting from place to place.  I did that since I was 15.  But since my trip I've actually realised a little structure is needed to balance it all out.       

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Hey Clive, I am in a related field. Specifically I am an non-clinical psychiatric social worker.

As a fact of my professional orientation, I deal with physicians regularly and some of those people are quasi-religious about the idea that “we have a pill for that”. I would guess that you are familiar with the basic idea. When it works, it works. All too often, it sucks.

In any case, I am a hard atheist. I hold that the notion of god needs to be proven before anyone should act on the matter. No proof, no life choices.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Hey, another Aussie!

Welcome!

Hey bobSpence1, I know that you are from Queensland. Perhaps I missed it but I was not aware of the specific city. I have had my hat in the ring for a couple of years to get some professional training from Stepping Stone Clubhouse in Bonaroo.

According to google maps, that is in your back yard. When the economy cycles around so that my company can afford it, I should be down your way.

I don't know if a six pack will make it through checked baggage or not but I am willing to disprove the assertion that American beer is like making love in a canoe. As a tradeoff, you will have to treat me to something better that Foster's.

Not only are you a heathen Republican but now you are knocking Fosters! YOU BLASPHEMER! I love Fosters.

Bob, never mind this sorry excuse for beer lover. He wouldn't know taste if it bit him in the ass.

(Note to Gene: Did I think that, or type it?)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Brian, I have only two words

Brian, I have only two words for you.  porter and stout.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Eloise wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

So, so, Hippy.

The best!!!  Hippy?  I use to be I guess, if by hippy you mean I floated around, drifting from place to place. 

Nah, I mean a fruit-picking holiday in Northern NSW while frequenting Nimbin, for it's peculiar vegetation I can only presume, is like Australian Woodstock.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

I had to look that up to figure out what you meant. I think you mean Coorparoo.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Answers in Gene

Eloise wrote:

I had to look that up to figure out what you meant. I think you mean Coorparoo.

Um yah, the Stepping Stone web site agrees with you.  Bonaroo was a spelling that I got from google.  I would assume that they know where they are better than google would.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Brian, I have only two words for you.  porter and stout.

I am not talking to you any more, you have insulted my god(Fosters). I think I'll move to Ireland where you'd be arrested for offending people.

In all seriousness, Fosters is my default pale beer. But I also like dark beer. My favorite dark beer is Sapporo Dark, hard to find in the states though. When I am feeling cheep Yingling.

What I have done is frosted a mug, and did a half and half like a black and tan, half Yingling half Fosters. YUMMY. Goes great with wings, or a stake and a football game. MAN CAVE MAN CAVE!

And you are worse than Hitler, you hate Fosters. I have never met a more insensitive cootie spreading, kitten barbecue'r than you.....................YOU YOU YOU SO AND SO!