an atheist site in chinese

hongkonger
hongkonger's picture
User is offlineOffline
an atheist site in chinese

Hi everyone,

This is my first time writing in an RR forum although I've been a member for over a year. First of all, good site. Appreciate all your work.

I'm from Hong Kong and happen to know that there's an atheist website in Chinese: reason.citizenK.org.

I realize that most probably no one here speaks Chinese, but you might find it encouraging anyway.

The following info might also interest some of you in some way.

The evangelists (particularly us evangelical organisations) & the vatican have been using the fading authority of communism in mainland china to spread the christian myth. This is a continuation of a centuries-long effort to Christianize heathen cultures & peoples around the world. Such an effort has now become converting the largest population in the world in order to redeem the declining Christian population in the west. In Hong Kong, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association is particularly influencial. There were numerous so-called Hong Kong Billy Graham Crusades (shameless that they still used the expression 'crusade'!), the one in 1990 being the biggest. The evangelical trick has always been sensationalism. They pack thousands and thousands of people in  the stadium and preach in emotional language (always 'love' but never forgot a nice description of hell!). At the end, they 'challenge' the audience to step out and accept the Christian god. It's absolutely disgusting for my rational taste. Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham, is now heading the mission. He went to Hong Kong in 2007. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association has been for decades supported by the Hong Kong Baptist University.

Besides preaching, the evangelical missionaries often use local Christians to smuggle bibles into mainland China, thus jeopardizing the lives of the smugglers and those who receive the smuggled copies of the bible. Open Doors (an evangelical organization), some years ago, had a 'project Pearl' which involved printing a million bibles and used Hong Kong as a base of smuggling bibles and other Christian literature into mainland China.

A post-communist China needs science, rationality and a regeneration of its own culture to fill the so-called 'spiritual vacuum', NOT a Christian myth to replace a communist myth!

Signing off now. Have a great non-holy holiday everyone!

Hongkonger.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In Hong Kong it is not a

In Hong Kong it is not a surprise, but considering that it is now under control of China, they do have to watch their step, we still are talking about a government that frowns on dissent.

I think it would shock Americans especially that atheists do value freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I think Hong Kong has been so westernized that for China to suddenly reverse would be to cut off a huge chunk of their economy. But the still are under Chinese rule.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome out of the lurker

Welcome out of the lurker shadows!

A very interesting and enlightening read. Thank you.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the info,

Thanks for the info, hongkonger. In India there is a growing movement of rationalists and freethinkers trying to free India from traditional mysticism and 'Hinduism'. For example, the people behind the website http://www.nirmukta.com/ . Is there any such movement going on in China/Hong Kong? Trying to bring rationalism against both Communism and religion. I understand the site you linked to was an atheist site, but is there a corresponding growing movement behind it yet, or is everyone still fairly disorganized?

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gaia knows, I hate christianity

And I agree it's core message is intolerance but I have trouble with the idea that it's illegal to have a bible in china. I'm not sure which attempt at mind control disturbs me more more. A truly rational china would not operate the way that country operates.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck