FurryCatHerder: Least ethical individual to ever register here?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder: Least ethical individual to ever register here?

...I know, we've had quite a few low life frequent the forums (myself included), but I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake.

So, the claims made so far by this one:

- She's an engineer.

- She's been raped at least 3 times in her pre-teen years.

- She's lived in a rat-infested house in New Orleans.

- She watched her grandfather die at her feet of malaria.

- She participated in the relief efforts / reconstruction efforts in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit.

Anyone want to play, 'How naive are you?' ?

All of these claims, of course, are used to downplay the trauma of things like rape, poverty and disease so she can continue championing her deity ('Hey, Yahweh's just letting us bowl with the bumper's off!' Oh, I'm sorry - the judeo-Christian God can't possibly be named Yahweh, since apparently the ancient Hebrews were unable to pronounce 'Wuh' back in the day).

Of course, Furry is more than welcome to provide evidence that substantiates the profoundly dramatic claims of her allegedly turbulent life & professional credentials. Until said evidence is forthcoming for such an extraordinary story, however, I'd say it's pretty safe to call bullshit on these reprehensible fabrications. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

But even more so, you can believe in whatever you like, your beliefs in a god, are just like everyone one else's belief in a god, without the evidence to back it up, mean squat, it is no more real that all the other gods and goddess out there believed by so many other people.

There is no "You must believe in G-d or else" requirement to be a Jew or practice Judaism.  Which means that if Judaism is a religion, so is Atheism and being Canadian.

Personally, I think Atheism is a religion and being Canadian isn't.

But now we're drifting WAY off topic.  Anyone care to see more pictures of Katrinaland?  I have photos of the White House with all the rats.  I even have photos of the cat I stole from the momma cat that used to bring me dead rats in the morning.

Oi vey. Hamby was right, you are not able to distinguish the two, either that or your being willfully ignorant. There are 2 things here, there is Judaism the religion, and there is being a jew as being born of jewish parents and heritage. To be considered a jew by heritiage is not the same thing as being jewish by faith, which anyone can join the jewish faith, but  not everyone can be of jewish decendant. Either that or your a complete moron in believing in what your believe, you can't practice judaism without god, the torah is the basis for the judiac faith, as such there is a requirement for the jewish religion to believe in god, that's like saying your practicing christianity but don't believe in jesus or god, it's a retarded statement. So I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say your just being ignorant about it.

Having spoken with my jewish friends...and a rabbi, your statement about practicing judaism without believing in god is without any merit, for who are the laws from? Why not work the sabbath if there is not god to anger? If not for god, then for no one and your not practicing judaism, your just pretending which means squat, your not a jew by faith, and your not a jew by birth, then your not really doing anything. Your fooling yourself. There is a huge different between jew by birth and jew by faith. Learn to distinguish them, atheism is not a religion, it does not have any dogmas or traditions, all it is a lack of belief in any deity. How you can equate that with religion is beyond me.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Oi vey.

latincanuck wrote:

Oi vey. Hamby was right, you are not able to distinguish the two, either that or your being willfully ignorant. There are 2 things here, there is Judaism the religion, and there is being a jew as being born of jewish parents and heritage. To be considered a jew by heritiage is not the same thing as being jewish by faith, which anyone can join the jewish faith, but  not everyone can be of jewish decendant. Either that or your a complete moron in believing in what your believe, you can't practice judaism without god, the torah is the basis for the judiac faith, as such there is a requirement for the jewish religion to believe in god, that's like saying your practicing christianity but don't believe in jesus or god, it's a retarded statement. So I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say your just being ignorant about it.

Having spoken with my jewish friends...and a rabbi, your statement about practicing judaism without believing in god is without any merit, for who are the laws from? Why not work the sabbath if there is not god to anger? If not for god, then for no one and your not practicing judaism, your just pretending which means squat, your not a jew by faith, and your not a jew by birth, then your not really doing anything. Your fooling yourself. There is a huge different between jew by birth and jew by faith. Learn to distinguish them, atheism is not a religion, it does not have any dogmas or traditions, all it is a lack of belief in any deity. How you can equate that with religion is beyond me.

There's no requirement to believe in G-d within Judaism.  I don't know where the rabbi you (probably didn't actually) talked to got smicha, but it's a rather bizarre property of Judaism that belief in G-d isn't required.  Judaism is a "What you do" religion, not a "What you believe" religion.

Believe in G-d and trash other people -- bad person.

Don't believe in G-d and be good to other people -- good person.

Care to try again on this "belief in G-d" bit?  Which part of the sort of "truth table of goodness or badness of a person" requires G-d to exist within Judaism?  I could do the entire truth table and then you'd see that "good person" depends not at all on "Belief in G-d".  "Belief in G-d" is neither necessary NOR sufficient.  QED, still not a religion.

(And based on your behavior, according to my signature, you're going to spend all of eternity roasting in Hell (not that Jews believe in Hell) with Christians who think loving up on Jesus makes everything okay.)

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatever else may or may not

Whatever else may or may not be said within the confines of this supercilious thread, one thing must stand out:

I can't believe you took the bait, FCH. You got took. Fished in! Fished in! Yaz got layed out and filleted! You were born on the minute, huh?

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:There's

FurryCatHerder wrote:
There's no requirement to believe in G-d within Judaism.  I don't know where the rabbi you (probably didn't actually) talked to got smicha, but it's a rather bizarre property of Judaism that belief in G-d isn't required.  Judaism is a "What you do" religion, not a "What you believe" religion.

Care to try again on this "belief in G-d" bit?  Which part of the sort of "truth table of goodness or badness of a person" requires G-d to exist within Judaism?  I could do the entire truth table and then you'd see that "good person" depends not at all on "Belief in G-d".  "Belief in G-d" is neither necessary NOR sufficient.  QED, still not a religion.

(And based on your behavior, according to my signature, you're going to spend all of eternity roasting in Hell (not that Jews believe in Hell) with Christians who think loving up on Jesus makes everything okay.)

Ye gods of someone else's ancestors. Make up yer mind.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I don't think FCH is

I don't think FCH is lacking ethics in the least regarding her behavior on this forum or away from it ( as far as I could tell ).  Apart from her theistic tendencies I think we would get along famously.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

Whatever else may or may not be said within the confines of this supercilious thread, one thing must stand out:

I can't believe you took the bait, FCH. You got took. Fished in! Fished in! Yaz got layed out and filleted! You were born on the minute, huh?

I don't think Kevin's that smart.  My life has been remarkably BORING.  Which is to say, I'm guessing that Kevin's life is downright DULL.

Besides, he's tried this same thing before.  It's like he's saying "Wait a minute -- she's smart AND she believes in G-d?  How can that possibly be?!?  And she doesn't think nice Atheists are going to Hell.  ZOMG!  Everything I know about Theists might just possibly be completely wrong!"

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
""Judaism" is a "religion"

""Judaism" is a "religion" because there are aspects of it that "look" like a religion. "

No. It's a religion because it fits the definition of a religion, to a T. I would add that your own fellow jews disagree with you en masse, though I'm sure you could find a few who believe as you do.

"Since "citizenship" is both necessary and sufficient, anything else that comes afterward has nothing to do with BEING a Jew."

Jews are not a nation. "Citizenship" is impossible, by definition.

Just because a term can refer to two things does not mean that half of its definition is wrong.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
What are you talking about?

What are you talking about? Judaism is a religious belief, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism, http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0004186, and a even better description of who is a jew http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/whojew1.html please tell me they are wrong as well. Now a jew is someone who is born a jew, aka from the mother's side, or an adult who converts to judaism, that being they believe in the jewish religion, which includes belief in god. Just because of you observe the holidays and dress like them and have their mannerism and what not does not make you a jew.

[Edit} As for the rabbi, well he better be rabbi otherwise why make the statement that he is a rabbi, have a radio show which he speaks about jewish faith, and why my jewish friends recommended I speak to their rabbi regarding any questions I have regarding judaism....who happens to be the person I spoke with. As for the rest of it, what you do, the traditions, rituals and actually being a good person, is for the sake of pleasing god and doing god's will/bidding, otherwise your not being a jew, your being a good person, unless of course your born a jew, again 2 different things.

I mean if your going to follow jewish law of course.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Your colonial comparison would work if the Brits brought all of the colonists to Britain. The Hebrews were in Egypt - there were no Hebrew lands until they ousted the Canaanites. If you wanted to compare it more closely, it would be more like what the Americans did to the aboriginal peoples of what is now the US.

The "Hebrews" were from Canaan.

jcgadfly wrote:

You were the one who claimed I was jealous because you had all the good holidays. All I said was that a good portion of the people I knew used their religion to get out of school more than any religious devotion.

And your point is?

Have you ever raised a teenager?  My guess is "No".

That's why they supplanted the Canaanites by force? Because they were fellow tribesmen who believed that their God (and yours) liked them best? Good thing Judaism isn't a religion, huh?

Well, I've raised two teenagers (no magic celebration days for either of them). So, take your guesses and shove them someplace that might leave you ceremonially impure.

Are you now claiming you practice Judaism for the holidays? I don't know any other reason you would worship a God you so afraid of you can't spell out his name.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:I don't

FurryCatHerder wrote:
I don't think Kevin's that smart.  My life has been remarkably BORING.  Which is to say, I'm guessing that Kevin's life is downright DULL.

Besides, he's tried this same thing before.  It's like he's saying "Wait a minute -- she's smart AND she believes in G-d?  How can that possibly be?!?  And she doesn't think nice Atheists are going to Hell.  ZOMG!  Everything I know about Theists might just possibly be completely wrong!"

Oh my, my sides! You don't even know you were baited. I was really expecting you to acknowledge the egg on yer face and give a shrug.

But you really think there's something to be accomplished here. Oh, that's just precious. C'mon, Kevin is smart, but he doesn't have to be to see you've got buttons to push, you know that.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Oh my, my sides! You don't even know you were baited. I was really expecting you to acknowledge the egg on yer face and give a shrug.

But you really think there's something to be accomplished here. Oh, that's just precious. C'mon, Kevin is smart, but he doesn't have to be to see you've got buttons to push, you know that.

Kevin is an idiot and claiming he meant to do all that is dumb.  No, he wanted to call me out on my "supposed" life and made the mistake of trying to pull that stunt on someone who really does walk the walk and talk the talk.  Most of the people here are kids.  I don't know how old Kevin is, but I recall he said he still lives at home with his parents.  Which likely means he hasn't a clue what adults actually =do= between the time they grow up and leave home and the time they get older.

Frankly, the amount of energy y'all put into trying to take me down a notch speaks far more to y'alls own insecurity and lack of intellect that it's hilarious.  You can deal with Christians fairly easily because all they know is "Jesus loves you" and all they want to focus on is getting you to love up on Jesus.

So many of you worship at the altar of Logic and Reason and you still don't get that Philosophy doesn't exist in the domain of Logic or Reason.  Some of you get it.  But I've read enough threads here chock full of Atheist Logical Fallacies -- whatever "omnimax" is supposed to mean, as if y'all will ever learn what the fallacy of "Begging The Conclusion" is all about -- that I've reached an unavoidable conclusion: Most of you can't construct a formal argument if your very lives depended on it.

You're not "smart", you're not "clever", you're just plain dumb.  You're too dumb to even be stupid.

And read my signature, for crying out loud.  Is being an asshole the end-all and be-all of being an Atheist?  Is this what your god of Logic and Reason has you be?  A bunch of immature assholes?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:What are

latincanuck wrote:

What are you talking about? Judaism is a religious belief, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism, http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0004186, and a even better description of who is a jew http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/whojew1.html please tell me they are wrong as well. Now a jew is someone who is born a jew, aka from the mother's side, or an adult who converts to judaism, that being they believe in the jewish religion, which includes belief in god. Just because of you observe the holidays and dress like them and have their mannerism and what not does not make you a jew.

You're an idiot.  I dress like a 40-something American woman seeing as I'm a 40-something American woman.

If you knew how to read discussions about "Who is a Jew?" you'd see that "Belief in G-d" is NEITHER necessary NOR sufficient for being a Jew.  It's just a fact.  Not believing in G-d makes you a bad Jew, it doesn't make you a non-Jew.

Here, from one of your links --

Who is a Jew according to Halacha (Jewish Law)?

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Deadly

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Kevin is an idiot and claiming he meant to do all that is dumb.  No, he wanted to call me out on my "supposed" life and made the mistake of trying to pull that stunt on someone who really does walk the walk and talk the talk.  Most of the people here are kids.  I don't know how old Kevin is, but I recall he said he still lives at home with his parents.  Which likely means he hasn't a clue what adults actually =do= between the time they grow up and leave home and the time they get older.

Frankly, the amount of energy y'all put into trying to take me down a notch speaks far more to y'alls own insecurity and lack of intellect that it's hilarious.  You can deal with Christians fairly easily because all they know is "Jesus loves you" and all they want to focus on is getting you to love up on Jesus.

So many of you worship at the altar of Logic and Reason and you still don't get that Philosophy doesn't exist in the domain of Logic or Reason.  Some of you get it.  But I've read enough threads here chock full of Atheist Logical Fallacies -- whatever "omnimax" is supposed to mean, as if y'all will ever learn what the fallacy of "Begging The Conclusion" is all about -- that I've reached an unavoidable conclusion: Most of you can't construct a formal argument if your very lives depended on it.

You're not "smart", you're not "clever", you're just plain dumb.  You're too dumb to even be stupid.

And read my signature, for crying out loud.  Is being an asshole the end-all and be-all of being an Atheist?  Is this what your god of Logic and Reason has you be?  A bunch of immature assholes?

In the end you haven't proven squat about your beliefs, you can't even argue your point properly, your now just resorting to insulting people, welcome to being an asshole, just like kevin can be. However most people have made the attempt to made a logical argument or to at least try to show you the error of your logic, but here you are doing nothing more than insulting people when you can not longer prove your point. congrats your an asshole now as well.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:In the end

latincanuck wrote:

In the end you haven't proven squat about your beliefs, you can't even argue your point properly, your now just resorting to insulting people, welcome to being an asshole, just like kevin can be. However most people have made the attempt to made a logical argument or to at least try to show you the error of your logic, but here you are doing nothing more than insulting people when you can not longer prove your point. congrats your an asshole now as well.

I haven't proven squat?

Here, read this again.  It's from a page YOU cited:

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you had half a working

If you had half a working brain, you'd realise that worshipping a god is not a requirement for being a religion. So your argument is irrelevant. But lets look at definitions of judaism:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+judaism&btnG=Search&meta=

Oh look, it's a religion. Princeton + Wikipedia + jewish sites > You.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Kevin

FurryCatHerder wrote:

You just refuse to acknowledge that you were suckered, doncha? Come on, the introductory claim of ethics is spurious at best. And concern about your claims to being an engineer and working on post-Katrina rebuilding are just plain irrelevant. It was never for a moment necessary or important to respond to Kevin's post. Nothing said in this thread prior to your first response was relevant to the arguments you've offered here. But, respond you did. You responded defensively, and with attempts to prove your claims to boot!

It's clear as day, honey. You got your buttons pushed.

This little screed in response to me is just the icing on this fail cake.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

I haven't proven squat?

Here, read this again.  It's from a page YOU cited:

So...

Judaism isn't a religion.

You just have celebrations about a God helping out his chosen people (a title you claim without basis as you have no ancestral connections).

You also claim to worship this God even though he no longer cares how you live (after all, you claim he chose you because he had chosen those folks back then).

You fear this God (who chose you for his paradise no matter your actions) so much you can't spell out his name.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
OI VEY

There is a HUGE difference between being a JEW as being born and judaism as in the religion. Maybe that is the mistake in communication. Judaism is a religion, being a jew as in being born does not require anyone to believe in god or follow the torah, converting to judaism does require you to believe in the torah. So I am going to assume that you did the full  conversion and means that you did believe in god and followed all the rules and still do, otherwise your what is known as a bullshit jew, a faker, like politician who have converted for votes. Really doesn't means shit, like a person that celebrates christmas and easter and calling themselves a christian but don't believe in jesus as their savior, so what, it's just all bullshit. So you did the conversion then right? Your being a good little jew by actually believing in god right? Otherwise your not being a good covert jew, you just a jew by title of conversion, which means squat really, you were not born a jew.

See that's something many in the orthodox circles take offense to, someone that converts to judaism not because they believe in the torah but because they want the title of jew, be it for political, financial or personal reasons.

It also a good thing you bothered reading it, since it was speaking about those BORN to jewish parents, not those that converted. But hey, why bother with it, you seem to have a problem understanding the difference between being born a jew and judaism the religion. You a fucking moron at this point.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCat

Does this mean that anyone who leads a good life is practising judaism?

I don't believe in god and I'm generally a nice-ish person...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Does

Atheistextremist wrote:

Does this mean that anyone who leads a good life is practising judaism?

I don't believe in god and I'm generally a nice-ish person...

No, because there's more to Judaism than being a mensch.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You just have

jcgadfly wrote:

You just have celebrations about a God helping out his chosen people (a title you claim without basis as you have no ancestral connections).

No, I actually =have= ancestral connections.  Quite a few people who "convert" to Judaism actually have Jewish roots -- it's one of the more mystically weird things about Judaism.  Some refer to it as the "Jewish Homing Beacon" -- people who with Jewish ancestry having an irrepressible urge to "become" Jewish.  In many cases, the Jewish connection was severed within a generation or two (my case) or severed decades ago, but kept alive in family traditions (Crypto-Jews).  The most devout "converts" I know are ones that have legitimate claims to being "born Jews", though in many cases the connection cannot be proven well enough for a religious court to accept the person as a "born Jew".

jcgadfly wrote:

You also claim to worship this God even though he no longer cares how you live (after all, you claim he chose you because he had chosen those folks back then).

I worship G-d because it gives focus, purpose and meaning to my life.  If I ceased to believe in G-d tomorrow, I'd still maintain a structure that kept me in awe and gratitude for Nature and all of Creation.  A recently released study showed that people who routinely express gratitude for what they have are better adjusted psychologically than people who don't.  So while Marx may have been right ("Religion is the opiate of the masses&quotEye-wink, some of the key aspects of religious practice -- blessing G-d for what we have -- has genuine benefits.  And, of course, since expressing that gratitude works whether or not G-d exists, I'm not about to stop doing it.

jcgadfly wrote:

You fear this God (who chose you for his paradise no matter your actions) so much you can't spell out his name.

I don't neglect to write "God" because I'm "afraid", in the English sense of "fear".  I don't do it because I respect G-d and do it to remind me not to casually toss "God" around for no good reason, thereby gradually reducing the respect I have for G-d.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

better adjusted psychologically than people who don't.

.... better adjusted to "what" exactly?

What Would Kharn Do?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

No, I actually =have= ancestral connections.  Quite a few people who "convert" to Judaism actually have Jewish roots -- it's one of the more mystically weird things about Judaism.  Some refer to it as the "Jewish Homing Beacon" -- people who with Jewish ancestry having an irrepressible urge to "become" Jewish.  In many cases, the Jewish connection was severed within a generation or two (my case) or severed decades ago, but kept alive in family traditions (Crypto-Jews).  The most devout "converts" I know are ones that have legitimate claims to being "born Jews", though in many cases the connection cannot be proven well enough for a religious court to accept the person as a "born Jew".

jcgadfly wrote:

I worship G-d because it gives focus, purpose and meaning to my life.  If I ceased to believe in G-d tomorrow, I'd still maintain a structure that kept me in awe and gratitude for Nature and all of Creation.  A recently released study showed that people who routinely express gratitude for what they have are better adjusted psychologically than people who don't.  So while Marx may have been right ("Religion is the opiate of the masses&quotEye-wink, some of the key aspects of religious practice -- blessing G-d for what we have -- has genuine benefits.  And, of course, since expressing that gratitude works whether or not G-d exists, I'm not about to stop doing it.

jcgadfly wrote:

I don't neglect to write "God" because I'm "afraid", in the English sense of "fear".  I don't do it because I respect G-d and do it to remind me not to casually toss "God" around for no good reason, thereby gradually reducing the respect I have for G-d.

I don't mean to be a moron in this - forgive if these questions seem moronic.

1. When you say you have ancestral connections, is it a blood connection or something more metaphysical? I mean, I can claim ancestry from there because a good portion of humanity came from that part of the world. that doesn't mean I am actually descended from Abraham.

2. So you worship God because it focus, purpose and meaning to your life - is this something that you could only get from your God or is this source better than others? Expressing gratitude isn't something that needs to have a deity come along for the ride.

3. Does your god really care about respect for that or any other appellation (it's not his name, after all). If he were really serious about "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord Thy God in vain" we'd be up to our eyeballs in corpses.

— George Carlin

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

better adjusted psychologically than people who don't.

.... better adjusted to "what" exactly?

Even better, where is this so-called study? No source, no dice.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Even better,

Vastet wrote:

*shrug*

I'd be happy just knowing what i was being lied to about, first...

What Would Kharn Do?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
But Furry

This...

FurryCatHerder wrote:

There's no requirement to believe in G-d within Judaism...it's a rather bizarre property of Judaism that belief in G-d isn't required.  Judaism is a "What you do" religion, not a "What you believe" religion.

and I'm circumcised.....or is it a racial thing?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Vastet

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

*shrug*

I'd be happy just knowing what i was being lied to about, first...

http://www.wikio.com/themes/David+DeSteno

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I don't mean

jcgadfly wrote:

1. When you say you have ancestral connections, is it a blood connection or something more metaphysical? I mean, I can claim ancestry from there because a good portion of humanity came from that part of the world. that doesn't mean I am actually descended from Abraham.

2. So you worship God because it focus, purpose and meaning to your life - is this something that you could only get from your God or is this source better than others? Expressing gratitude isn't something that needs to have a deity come along for the ride.

3. Does your god really care about respect for that or any other appellation (it's not his name, after all). If he were really serious about "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord Thy God in vain" we'd be up to our eyeballs in corpses.

1). Blood.

2). Hey, it works for me.  Doesn't for you?  Oh well.

3). Why?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun wrote:You

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

You just refuse to acknowledge that you were suckered, doncha? Come on, the introductory claim of ethics is spurious at best. And concern about your claims to being an engineer and working on post-Katrina rebuilding are just plain irrelevant. It was never for a moment necessary or important to respond to Kevin's post. Nothing said in this thread prior to your first response was relevant to the arguments you've offered here. But, respond you did. You responded defensively, and with attempts to prove your claims to boot!

Oh right -- I forgot that when dealing with idiots the goal is always to have a way to claim they won!

1). Kevin is actually right and I lied about all those stuff: Win!

2). Kevin is wrong, but I ignore him: He insist he was right, Win!

3). Kevin is wrong, but I respond: His posse insists he was "pushing my buttons", Win!

Sorry, "I meant to do that!" is an epic FAIL.  Kevin lied because he's dull and boring and thinks everyone else is just as dull and boring as him.  And you're an epic FAIL as well.

It really does bother you that you can't attack me for "Me, Myself and I Died For Your Sins"?

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote: Oh

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Oh right -- I forgot that when dealing with idiots the goal is always to have a way to claim they won!

1). Kevin is actually right and I lied about all those stuff: Win!

2). Kevin is wrong, but I ignore him: He insist he was right, Win!

3). Kevin is wrong, but I respond: His posse insists he was "pushing my buttons", Win!

Sorry, "I meant to do that!" is an epic FAIL.  Kevin lied because he's dull and boring and thinks everyone else is just as dull and boring as him.  And you're an epic FAIL as well.

It really does bother you that you can't attack me for "Me, Myself and I Died For Your Sins"?

You're so fucking dim you don't even see my point. Nothing Kevin posted has the slightest relevance to your arguments. A "win" for you would have been to ignore the ad-hominem, or to call it what it was.

You love to go on about this rare fallacy of "begging the conclusion" (and your definition thereof contradicts the generally accepted definition). Yet, you can't see one of the most outrageous and near-ubiquitous fallacies there are? You are truly pathetic.

Your red herring "It really does bother you that you can't attack me for "Me, Myself and I Died For Your Sins"?" is really amusing. I could not give less of a shit about some detail of your belief system. The basic premise is bullshit, so the rest just doesn't make much difference.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

This...

FurryCatHerder wrote:

There's no requirement to believe in G-d within Judaism...it's a rather bizarre property of Judaism that belief in G-d isn't required.  Judaism is a "What you do" religion, not a "What you believe" religion.

I'm not getting the question.  In Judaism, G-d doesn't care what race you are, only whether or not you're a decent human being.  Everyone on the entire planet is created in G-d's image, not just Jews.

(Which is another way we're not a "religion" -- how many religions tell you that you don't have to "join" in order to be "OK" according to that religion?)

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

You're so fucking dim you don't even see my point. Nothing Kevin posted has the slightest relevance to your arguments. A "win" for you would have been to ignore the ad-hominem, or to call it what it was.

Oh, please, I've already survived a round of "She didn't respond!  I'm must be right!"

Or are you saying I should just blow this website off as a bunch of teenage boys (and a few women and older men) continually engaged in mental masturbation?  If I did that, I'd have to stop watching "South Park" and "Futurama".

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun wrote:You

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

You love to go on about this rare fallacy of "begging the conclusion" (and your definition thereof contradicts the generally accepted definition). Yet, you can't see one of the most outrageous and near-ubiquitous fallacies there are? You are truly pathetic.

"Begging The Conclusion" is NOT all that rare, and especially on this forum, it's not at all rare.  All "Begging The Conclusion" requires is that the conclusion be stated in the premises.

1). God is omnipotent (according to whom and what definition?)

2). God cannot create a rock so big he can't lift it (according to whom and what definition?)

3). Therefore, god is not omnipotent.

4). Therefore, god does not exist.

That's the basic form of most "god doesn't exist" arguments here.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Oh,

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Oh, please, I've already survived a round of "She didn't respond!  I'm must be right!"
So? A piss-poor argument is a piss poor argument. If they're gonna engage in that sort of spurious claptrap, then call 'em on it. Don't make believe that it makes any difference to the argument at hand.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Or are you saying I should just blow this website off as a bunch of teenage boys (and a few women and older men) continually engaged in mental masturbation?  If I did that, I'd have to stop watching "South Park" and "Futurama".
Woo hoo! Appeal to emotion. You wank with the best of 'em.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
"Begging The Conclusion" is NOT all that rare, and especially on this forum, it's not at all rare.  All "Begging The Conclusion" requires is that the conclusion be stated in the premises.

2). God cannot create a rock so big he can't lift it (according to whom and what definition?)

I'm glad to see you finally looked up the definition.

And I'm amused you're still missing my point.

(See how I'm not falling for the red herring? Whether or not folks here commit that fallacy or not is irrelevant to the argument at hand.)

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

Checked it out, looks to be a joke of a study, and does nothing to illustrate the point you made...

Purhaps you could explain better in your own words?

What Would Kharn Do?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:
So? A piss-poor argument is a piss poor argument. If they're gonna engage in that sort of spurious claptrap, then call 'em on it. Don't make believe that it makes any difference to the argument at hand.

Oh, G-d, if I called people on all their stupid arguments on this particular board I'd have to do something more significant in my life, like clean the kitchen.  Which reminds me -- need to check the laundry.

Deadly Fingergun wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
Woo hoo! Appeal to emotion. You wank with the best of 'em.

Appeal to emotion?  I disagree -- I think it's a Utility argument more than Appeal to Emotion.  I mean, "Appeal to Boredom" isn't in the list of any logical fallacies I've studied.  It's like back in the day when computers ran meaningless work during idle clock cycles.  What =else= would I be doing right now?  I'm going to turn on the bathroom heater and start the coffee shortly, before I jump in the shower and head off to morning prayers.  THEN I'll have something better to do.  I'm not in college, I'm a widow, I have a teenager who plays guitar more with his friends than he sees me, most other people in my time zone are asleep, so I can't call clients or suppliers or anyone else.  That leaves --

1). South Park.

2). Avoiding house work.

3). The interwebs.

4). Waiting for other people to wake up.

5). Searching for a cure for chronic insomnia (but I get so much done when I'm not asleep!)

6). Stealing my iPod back from my son so my alarm stops beeping and starts playing music again.

Deadly Fingergun wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

I'm glad to see you finally looked up the definition.

Okay, "Ad hominem!"

Deadly Fingergun wrote:
And I'm amused you're still missing my point.

Did I get it this time?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

1). Blood.

3). Why?

1. Blood to another convert or a child of Israel?

2. Just wondered why you needed a crutch.

3. Why the corpses? If God cared about his name being taken in vain and "God" was his name, don't you think he'd want to avenge it against all the people who throw it around willy-nilly? That's what stops you, right? Why should God care? That's my question.

— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

This...

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I'm not getting the question.  In Judaism, G-d doesn't care what race you are, only whether or not you're a decent human being.  Everyone on the entire planet is created in G-d's image, not just Jews.

(Which is another way we're not a "religion" -- how many religions tell you that you don't have to "join" in order to be "OK" according to that religion?)

Interesting form of Judaism you practice - God chose the Jews above all others but doesn't care about your race (you claim a blood relationship then say it doesn't matter).

Looks like you're stealing bits from Pauline Christianity - Galatians 3:28 comes to mind, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

— George Carlin

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

hinduism, buddhism, sikhism, jainism, shintoism, taoism, animism, shamanism, zoroastrianism, mithraism, druidism, roman catholicism (according to vatican ii)...i think that's enough.  pretty much every religion except most of christianity and islam and their offspring (jehovah's witnesses, mormons, the druze, etc....actually, i think the druze aren't exclusivist either, but i'm not sure).

oh, and i think amost of the adherents of all of these--the ones still practised, anyway--would have no problem admitting they're "religions."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

1). Blood.

3). Why?

You do realize that once a "convert" is a "Jew" they intermarry with other "Jews" so that even the "child" of a "convert" winds up with ancestral ties all the way back?

But to answer the question, no, I'm not a pink skinned European.

jcgadfly wrote:

Everything you do has some completely and totally rational purpose?  In which case, why the double standard?  I just go back from synagogue, so no coffee just yet.  Are you going to ask me why I use caffeine for a crutch next?  If the sun comes out, I might drive my sports car.  Are you going to ask me why I use small block Chevy V8s for a crutch?

jcgadfly wrote:

3. Why the corpses? If God cared about his name being taken in vain and "God" was his name, don't you think he'd want to avenge it against all the people who throw it around willy-nilly? That's what stops you, right? Why should God care? That's my question.

LOL!

Okay, so the god you don't believe in has to kill people all the time to prove how tough he or she is.  I'd like to join you in not believing in that god.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:hinduism,

iwbiek wrote:

hinduism, buddhism, sikhism, jainism, shintoism, taoism, animism, shamanism, zoroastrianism, mithraism, druidism, roman catholicism (according to vatican ii)...i think that's enough.  pretty much every religion except most of christianity and islam and their offspring (jehovah's witnesses, mormons, the druze, etc....actually, i think the druze aren't exclusivist either, but i'm not sure).

oh, and i think amost of the adherents of all of these--the ones still practised, anyway--would have no problem admitting they're "religions."

Okay, you got me there.  But none of those are a "people" or a "nation".  Which is my main point -- Judaism isn't a RELIGION.  A Jew who doesn't practice Judaism isn't a non-Jew, they are a "bad" Jew.  Still a Jew -- can't ever escape!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

1). Blood.

3). Why?

You do realize that once a "convert" is a "Jew" they intermarry with other "Jews" so that even the "child" of a "convert" winds up with ancestral ties all the way back?

But to answer the question, no, I'm not a pink skinned European.

jcgadfly wrote:

Everything you do has some completely and totally rational purpose?  In which case, why the double standard?  I just go back from synagogue, so no coffee just yet.  Are you going to ask me why I use caffeine for a crutch next?  If the sun comes out, I might drive my sports car.  Are you going to ask me why I use small block Chevy V8s for a crutch?

jcgadfly wrote:

LOL!

Okay, so the god you don't believe in has to kill people all the time to prove how tough he or she is.  I'd like to join you in not believing in that god.

1. In that case I could claim ancestry to Abraham as much of humanity came from there - yay I'm a Jew!

2. Never said that - all I said is what I do doesn't need a deity before I do it.

3. So you don't follow the law of Moses allegedly written by God's finger? Glad you want to join me in not believing in that God - guess that means you don't follow Judaism any more. Or do you just cherry pick?

— George Carlin

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:iwbiek

FurryCatHerder wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Okay, you got me there.  But none of those are a "people" or a "nation".  Which is my main point -- Judaism isn't a RELIGION.  A Jew who doesn't practice Judaism isn't a non-Jew, they are a "bad" Jew.  Still a Jew -- can't ever escape!

actually one could make an argument for hinduism, particularly those branches that still literally follow the rites prescribed by the vedas, where it is necessary to have a brahmin officiate.  one can "convert" to hinduism, just as one can to judaism, but one must be born a brahmin.  usually converts to hinduism are attracted by the more esoteric branches like advaita vedanta, which is not concerned with sacrifices or rituals at all.  vedic hinduism, however, is concerned with caste and priestly bloodlines, neither of which can be "converted into."  it's no coincidence that, before our days of political correctness, "hindu" referred to the most numerous indian nationality as well as to that nationality's religion.  it's also no coincidence that the native language of a great portion of indians is known as "hindi."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

Now that I've read it, it doesn't support religion. Saying thanks to someone for opening the door hardly supports your religious beliefs. In fact, it doesn't even suggest that thanking non-existent entities accomplishes anything anyway, the study was completely based on human interaction. Just goes to show we get more out of helping each other than belief in deities.

""Begging The Conclusion" is NOT all that rare, and especially on this forum, it's not at all rare."

This is part of why we laugh at your idiocy. You claim the fallacy, but never show how it applies. The second part is the strawman you presented as our argument, even though it's a counter argument, and you formulated it wrong too.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Did I

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Did I get it this time?
Nope.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think it's important to acknowledge that

FurryCat likes motorcycles and V8s. Regardless of all the religious bullshit we are talking, that's pretty cool.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

FurryCat likes motorcycles and V8s. Regardless of all the religious bullshit we are talking, that's pretty cool.

No props for also liking electric guitars?  For being a computer goddess?

See, this is something about men that drives me insane -- men don't like smart women.  But if we've got a fast car (0 to 120mph in "Oh Sh*t!" ), all the sudden men are interested.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This is part of

Vastet wrote:

This is part of why we laugh at your idiocy. You claim the fallacy, but never show how it applies. The second part is the strawman you presented as our argument, even though it's a counter argument, and you formulated it wrong too.

Ah -- "Straw Man Fallacy".

"Begging the Conclusion" is seldom LITERALLY stating the conclusion as a premise.  However, any argument where the conclusion is stated in a premise ("XYZ god is not ominipotent" as a conclusion and "XYZ god is omnipotent" as a premise) in some form is the fallacy of "Begging The Conclusion".

And still no new free 500gb hard drive for you.  It's Wednesday -- you might want to bone up on Psalm 94, since that's the Psalm for today.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"See, this is something

"See, this is something about men that drives me insane -- men don't like smart women.  But if we've got a fast car (0 to 120mph in "Oh Sh*t!" ), all the sudden men are interested."

Bullshit. I have little to no interest in cars beyond "Oh.. shiny!". This is what drives me nuts about women. They think all guys care about is sex and cars.

""Begging the Conclusion" is seldom LITERALLY stating the conclusion as a premise.  However, any argument where the conclusion is stated in a premise ("XYZ god is not ominipotent" as a conclusion and "XYZ god is omnipotent" as a premise) in some form is the fallacy of "Begging The Conclusion"."

Except we don't make the premise of gods existence OR omnipotence. We simply RESPOND to those who make such a premise, to show its impossibility. They beg the conclusion, we show them it's wrong, then you come saying we made the whole thing up, and you beg the conclusion in the process. Beautiful irony.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"And still no new free 500gb

"And still no new free 500gb hard drive for you.  It's Wednesday -- you might want to bone up on Psalm 94, since that's the Psalm for today."

You're really scraping the bottom of the latrine with this BS. You've irrevocably proven you'd never have sent me anything with your heavy secrecy on everything, and this is effectively a grade 2 school yard strategy to piss me off or try to cajole me into agreeing with you to get a treat. Made worse by the fact I never asked for anything from you, and don't want anything from you. You really need to mature. It would be insulting if I were 6 again. As it is, it just reaks of pathetic.