What do you do when

Aristine
Aristine's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you do when

a "bible basher" comes to your door to spread the "good news"?

Sorry if my choice of words is offensive. Not sure what else to call them but at this time of year(in my neighborhood) there are many different sects(mormons, jehovah's witnesses, and I'm not sure what other sect of christianity but the ones that are very loud) going around handing out leaflets from door to door.

I usually let them say their piece and say, "ok, I'll read it, thanks, Merry Christmas", because 1) we do have decorations up b/c we do celebrate the winter solstice with typical seasonal decor and 2) there are SO many of them out this time of year I just couldn't stand to argue with each one of them on their flawed logic. and 3) why dash someone's hope at this time of the year?

But, I was wondering what other atheist say when approached by a smiling "believer" that has a leaflet in their hand that says something like, "Is God listening?" with quotes from the bible in it. So please share what your experiences have been.

"I can resist anything, except temptation..."
~Wilde

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
 Never had the experience

Never had the experience personally but I'm sure I'd probably try to argue with em till I got tired and then tell them they were going to Hell for not accepting Allah, parroting their arguments back at them but changing the name.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strangers at Your Door

When proselytizers come to my door, I usually let them in to give me their message, and then I discuss it with them.  (Sometimes I'm not in the mood, and I'll take the pamphlet and say, "I'll look into it, " then close the door.) 

It has been years since a proselytizer has come to my door, but I remember ten years ago Mormons came.  They were two teenagers with tags on their suits that said "Elder."  I let them in and we debated for a couple hours, then they came back in a couple days and we debated again for a couple hours.  They never came back.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a sign on my door

I have a sign on my door stating no soliciting and no proselytizing. I only get about one per year who either doesn't read it or thinks it doesn't apply to them.

I point to the sign and ask if they read it. Those who haven't read the sign get politely rebuffed. The ones who read the sign get told to leave the property, as I intend to call the police.

On the street, a simple "Leave me be, thank you." usually does the trick. On the rare occasion it does not, a reminder that there is a fine line between proselytizing and accosting (often requiring definitions for both "accosting" and "proselytizing" ) gets them to go bother someone else.

Speak softly and politely, it seems to rattle everyone.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

Typically I answer the door in the nude.

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
this is a true story............................................

but it was in the fall after halloween, but is relevant.

these 2 Jehovah wits knock  on my door while I was doing some tattoos on some people even more degenerate looking than me, and we were all drunk, and I answer the door with no shirt on, latex gloves on, splattered with ink of many colors, and Isaid hell ya, come on in, and both of these guys look like Kip from Napolean dynamite

***pause 2 remind that i am typing one handed and not simply egnorant***

so they come in my apt, this was in hurst, tx, and there are drunken tattooed girls and drunken guys and i am doing tats for free that day, and to them, it must have been like they had walked into the worst den Sodom had to offer. most of the people there didn't know how to speak a compete sentence without the words shit, fuck, and motherfucker in it. they never said a word, they just stood around awkwardly in their short sleeve white button down dress shirts and black poly pants for about 30 mins.

the funniest part to me was that one of them meticulously examined some of my tattooed grapefruits. i would glance at him now and then and he was just mesmerized.

finally, they just kinda slunked off. no one was rude to them, they were just really out of place.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have so far had the

I have so far had the misfortune of being otherwise occupied whenever they come. I recall a friend in B.C. though, who's father used to claim to be a minister for some form of christianity and invite them in for a debate. They never took him up on it. I don't know whether he was actually a minister or not, that was the only occasion when it came up, and I didn't care enough about religion at the time to ask. I was still under the impression that noone really believed in gods at the time, having never encountered a batshit crazy theist.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The Ranting Griffith"(sp)

"The Ranting Griffith"(sp) comedian, had a good rant.

I myself once was smoking with my mom on the front porch of her house and a couple JWs pulled into the driveway, walked onto the porch without asking. They approached me and one of them said as I was putting mine out, "You know that is bad for you".

So I over exagerated my moves in extracting another one out of my pack, pulled one out, sniffed it from tip to butt, put it in my mouth, lit it. By that time they were face to face and I blew the smoke right in their face. Without a word, they turned around and left.

What pissed me off is that they walked onto the porch without announcing who they were.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:"The Ranting

Brian37 wrote:

I myself once was smoking with my mom on the front porch of her house and a couple JWs pulled into the driveway, walked onto the porch without asking. They approached me and one of them said as I was putting mine out, "You know that is bad for you".

So I over exagerated my moves in extracting another one out of my pack, pulled one out, sniffed it from tip to butt, put it in my mouth, lit it. By that time they were face to face and I blew the smoke right in their face. Without a word, they turned around and left.

What pissed me off is that they walked onto the porch without announcing who they were.

Indeed 2 the ranting gryphon has good stuff in that area.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Brian37

jcgadfly wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Indeed 2 the ranting gryphon has good stuff in that area.

I am seriously considering a name change now, but I am still holding on to hope that someone will grasp a bit of historical significance in regards to my current moniker.

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is why I am glad I live

This is why I am glad I live in the country. If any religious nuts make it to my house the only interest they have is finding directions back to the highway.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regardless of what some may

Regardless of what some may think of me, I consider myself to be a genuinely nice person, possessed of formal manners and a decent respect for etiquette. However, I am uncompromising when my principles are assailed. To wit, a Jehovah's Witness group came to my door a while back; I was pleasant, listened with a convincing smile on my face as to the "wonder of it all," and informed them at the end of the session to please refrain from contacting me in the future.

That was when it began...

Admittedly, I drink too much on the weekends, but I defy the person who says to me that 0730 on a Saturday is acceptable for social calls. Having maintained a sufficiently patrician facade of nonchalance and kind indulgence, the third weekend in a row that this intrusion occurred was beyond the pale. Therefore, I resolved to respond in kind: their idiotic suppositions of fantasy should be met with the personification of their conception of a non-believer. 

Thus,

The very next time they came ringing, I answered the door in my underwear, drinking a glass of bourbon, with a holstered pistol strapped to my side and an ornate (to say the least) hat to top off the outfit. I then inquired as to the availability of the junior female of the group for the purposes of procreation. 

Interestingly enough, they have yet to return... 

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

Admittedly, I drink too much on the weekends, but I defy the person who says to me that 0730 on a Saturday is acceptable for social calls. Having maintained a sufficiently patrician facade of nonchalance and kind indulgence, the third weekend in a row that this intrusion occurred was beyond the pale. Therefore, I resolved to respond in kind: their idiotic suppositions of fantasy should be met with the personification of their conception of a non-believer. 

Thus,

The very next time they came ringing, I answered the door in my underwear, drinking a glass of bourbon, with a holstered pistol strapped to my side and an ornate (to say the least) hat to top off the outfit. I then inquired as to the availability of the junior female of the group for the purposes of procreation. 

In another thread I thought we might become friends, now I insist.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awelton85

Awelton85 wrote:

Thus,

I am of the same opinion... UE has not only an excellent username, but an excellent attitude towards theology.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have always just 'killed

I have always just 'killed em with kindness' ~ smiling, eye contact, engaging in conversation are all part of how I interact with everyone... so, I am myself with these people and get a kick out of seeing the let down on their faces, in their eyes, in their body language when I let them know I am atheist.

My favorite interaction ever was with a few JW ladies ~ My dogs alerted me to their approach so I meet them at the door with a smiley welcome   They mumbled something about the fine day and let me know they are out speaking with my neighbors. Of course I knew right away what they were peddling (bible under arm) but I feigned ignorance and indicated I would like to hear more. They went into a huge speech about faith and how everyone needs belief in their life, they whipped out a pamphlet about how god can help people on drugs... it seriously took everything in my being not to laugh...

I asked them how this particular method of conversion was going for them. (they didn't know what to say at that moment) I smiled and pointed out that they have picked a melting pot of beliefs and cultures by coming to this neighborhood (I know for a fact I have 1 hindu, a buddhist and 3 moslems within a 2 block radius) and of course offered that I am atheist. They asked why I chose to be not believe in god, to which I asked why they chose TO believe in god....I let them drone on and on and on about all of the things god did for them. All of the good they experienced with god. All of the joy they felt with god  ~blah blah blah ~ 

I let them know that their stories were amazing and that we have something in common ~ my life has been filled with joy as well - without god. I told them I was done with the conversation and to  have a  nice day. They looked a bit deflated, and I felt (for a fraction of a second) a bit bad ... 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
surprised no comments about Mormans.............................

I used to live in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road in rural TX, and a couple of Morman guys rode their bicycles up my driveway. one of them was a guy I went to high school with luckily, it had been at least 7 years since I had seen him, but he knew there was zero point in bothering with me, so I showed them around our barn and let them pet the horses and goats, then invited them in as it was pretty hot out, they had some ice tea and were on their way.

Mormans are usually the least obnoxious ones. I had these Baptist Hell House freaks come by my house one time when I was already drunk and pissed the fuck off about some religious idiot I had been reading about and I came unglued on them. I actually chased them to their car hollering and throwing stuff I grabbed off my porch. To make matters worse, it was a man and a woman and their two kids, but I have zero tolerance for inbred white trash telling me that I am going to burn in hell.

If you lived in TX you would have had these encounters many times over like I have. AK is full religious whackos as well, but not too many door to door types.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
For me, lately, all it's

For me, lately, all it's been is the occasional appearance of one religious nut job who's truck has a "free money" or some such sign on it.  He comes through the drive through and about half of the time he tries to give me a religious tract disguised as a "$1,000,000 bill."  (It has the face of Ronald Reagan on one side, so I assume that he's also kind of right-wing.)  The money, of course, is completely phony, and it has the usual John 3:16 blah blah on it.  Nonetheless, this is the "free money" the guy tries to give away.  The first time he offered it to me, I took it because I was idlely (sp?) curious.  When it turned out to be exactly what I was expecting, I threw it away.

So now you know. The new technique is hit-and-run "money" tracting.

Conor

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I let them talk, then laugh

I let them talk, then laugh and say I am an atheist and that their are crazy people, please get off my property and take their delusions with them, as I close the door.

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do the same thing I do

I do the same thing I do when my father calls:  pretend I'm not there.  But really that's only happened to me once or twice before.  And that was back when I was actually a Xtian. 

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:I do the

Gallowsbait wrote:

I do the same thing I do when my father calls:  pretend I'm not there.  But really that's only happened to me once or twice before.  And that was back when I was actually a Xtian. 

Xtian!?!?

This is golden, and with your permission, I'd like to steal it!

Regards,

UE

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Awelton85 wrote:

Thus,

My thanks to both of you; kindred spirits (pardon the word) in the interminable battle against intellectual chicanery are always a welcome addition!

Regards,

UE 

I am of the same opinion... UE has not only an excellent username, but an excellent attitude towards theology.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
 We get the occasional

We get the occasional Jehovah's Witness... we have tried a variety of tactics... The most effective way to get rid of them thus far was for my wife to open the front door topless...

Sorry... Our Sunday mornings are reserved for Duke Ellington, hot coffee, and fluid draining sex... we neither have the time nor the inclination to placate these xenophobic jizzbags when weez gots work ta do...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are some good suggestions here

I have a policy of saying "I love satan" when approached by the religious. It works quite well.

Happily in the city I have big walls and gates around my house so am impregnable and in the country my place is hard to see from the road and looks so run down and spooky you'd

have to be nuts to approach it.

I'm probably halfway between Unrepentant and Dingus on this. I might be polite but I might shout - but I definitely would not sit there and listen.

On thursday last - I was pissed at the time - I got into a fight with a muslim cab driver who insisted he was live and let live but admitted he believed in hell and that was where evil

people would go.

"Like fucking dhimmis!" I yelled in a fury. After a while (I think when I called him a fucking psycho fundamentalist he thought I meant terrorist) I insisted he stop the cab and let me

out. I just couldn't bear looking at the back of the smug fuck's head any longer. I'm seriously allergic to islam and just god in general, the prick.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
This probably belongs in another thread, but I'm putting it here

...regardless.

Just today, I had to work a drive through window with a religious fellow-employee.  She has had a habit lately of saying "Merry Christmas" to as many people through the window, even though I was the one immediately dealing with them.  At the time, I chalked it up to free speech, and didn't give it another thought.  Today, however, she chose to try to tell me that *I* needed to say "Merry Christmas" (...as you can imagine, I didn't...) and when I politely informed her that I didn't believe, and that such would be an act of hypocrisy on my part, she tried to tell me 1) that I was being rude, and 2) that I would be "helping people through tough times."  Apparently, the thought that maybe some of the folks coming to our fast-food restaurant just might not be Christians themselves simply didn't occur to her.  After a few minutes of seeing that I had no intention of doing as she wanted, she left to take orders more towards the front of the store.  She had never done that before today.

Sorry about unloading on this thread...I know this isn't exactly an "I'm getting proselytized" issue...but I just wanted to talk about this somewhere.

Conor

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist

Gallowsbait wrote:

Xtian!?!?

This is golden, and with your permission, I'd like to steal it!

Regards,

UE

By all means, seeing as I kind of stole it from someone else in this forum.  Don't remember who, though.  But you have better manners than I do; I didn't even ask permission.  :P 

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
If I'm in a good/bored mood

If I'm in a good/bored mood I sometimes end up debating with them. Otherwise I usually hit on the attractive male of the group, if there is one, or ask why they didn't bring one if there isn't.

My partner likes to say things like "Can we hurry this up, my sacrificial goat's probably pissed on the carpet by now."

God: "Thou Must Go from This Place Lest I Visit Thee with Boils!"
Man: "Really? Most people would bring a bottle of wine"

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson

Conor Wilson wrote:

...regardless.

Just today, I had to work a drive through window with a religious fellow-employee.  She has had a habit lately of saying "Merry Christmas" to as many people through the window, even though I was the one immediately dealing with them.  At the time, I chalked it up to free speech, and didn't give it another thought.  Today, however, she chose to try to tell me that *I* needed to say "Merry Christmas" (...as you can imagine, I didn't...) and when I politely informed her that I didn't believe, and that such would be an act of hypocrisy on my part, she tried to tell me 1) that I was being rude, and 2) that I would be "helping people through tough times."  Apparently, the thought that maybe some of the folks coming to our fast-food restaurant just might not be Christians themselves simply didn't occur to her.  After a few minutes of seeing that I had no intention of doing as she wanted, she left to take orders more towards the front of the store.  She had never done that before today.

Sorry about unloading on this thread...I know this isn't exactly an "I'm getting proselytized" issue...but I just wanted to talk about this somewhere.

Conor

no, you are totally right on with this shit, man.  i HATE passive-aggressiveness.  i would much rather have a ranting, hellfire fundy come to my porch where i could at least show him my old winchester model 12 pump and tell him to fuck off quick than i would deal with a miss sunshine sunday school bitch coworker who tries to passively bully me into paying lip-service to her ideology.  at work the most i could do is quietly tell her to fuck off but then i would have to worry about catching hell from a manager who's probably also a fundy dipshit and thus would sympathize with her.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the support,

Thanks for the support, iwbiek.

Conor

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
True story - or so I was told

It's Saturday morning in a North West town.  The local Lutheran minister who is relaxing in a flannel shirt and jeans lives on the corner of the block.  The door bell rings.  JW's with pamphlets.  He opens the door, "I'm sorry, we're all Lutherans here."  Closes the door, goes out the back door to his neighbor's to talk about the game or some such.  The door bell rings.  The same JWs.  The Lutheran opens the door, says, "I'm sorry, we're all Lutherans here."  Runs out the back door, to the next house - who don't know him all that well- says, sorry, excuse me, let me answer the door.  "I'm sorry, we're all Lutherans here."  And so on down the block.  I hear tell the proselytizers STILL avoid that neighborhood.

So, I used to live 1/2 block from the "Kingdom Hall" in one town.  And later, in a university town where we got people from "The Door".  (I never could figure out door to what?)  And later, next door to a Mormon family that hosted the 17 year old "Elders".  So I got a lot of them at one time or another.  My husband was ironing (yes, with an ironing board and all) in the kitchen one day.  The door was open, and it was the obvious door to enter that apartment.  He looked up and saw two church ladies at the screen door.  "I'm sorry, ladies, but if I don't get this done before my wife gets home, she is going to kill me."  They didn't come back.

I found saying, "I'm sorry, we're all <Lutherans><pagans><heathens><atheists> here." works very well and they don't usually come back.  For those too stubborn to get the message the first time, I let the dogs out.  I have six Australian Shepherds.

--I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Alex14
User is offlineOffline
It seems they always come

It seems they always come early in the morning! I usually just say no thanks and tell them I'm an Atheist. It always works, except for one time. The lady started asking why. I don't mind answering but it's fucking early in the morning and she's asking why I don't believe in a sky-daddy?! I asked her if she would like it if I went with a couple of friends to her house to spread our good news. The last thing I told her was that if I can respect her right to believe she should then respect my right not to. She left with her buddy. I always get little old ladies talking to me in spanish. :s When I was growning up in PR they would come to our house and stand in front of the gate. They would start yelling "Buenos dias!" over and over again until somebody came out.

My thinking is you should treat them how you would like to be treated but sometimes they just ask for you to be rude. I have a two month old, I can't be answering doors at 7 in the morning for some bull crap!

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread brings out the devil in me..........................

One of my fantasies is to answer the door to some religious whackos and just invite them in and agree with everything they say, and then, slowly but surely, start to spew extremely religious nut-job insanity, as in say stuff like, "the godless heathens just don't understand the death and destruction that awaits them in their eternity of bloody, writhing, torturous mayhem in Hell that Satan himself will personally conduct upon their sickening souls".

And then, when they are already freaked out a bit, I will declare, as I stand on my own dinner table, "Let us pray, brothers, and show Satan that we are not afraid of him, that we will welcome him to our table, and cast him out like yesterdays wine".

And then, I would pluck some of my snakes from their cages and start dancing around while "speaking in tongues".

And if that didn't make them run out of my house as fast as they could, it would get worse.

I would read them some of Brian37's poetry.

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure you do.....................................................

Rich Woods wrote:

We get the occasional Jehovah's Witness... we have tried a variety of tactics... The most effective way to get rid of them thus far was for my wife to open the front door topless...

Sorry... Our Sunday mornings are reserved for Duke Ellington, hot coffee, and fluid draining sex... we neither have the time nor the inclination to placate these xenophobic jizzbags when weez gots work ta do...

right after you make a couple mil on the stock market and eat your breakfast in bed served to you by an incredibly hot sexy Mexican maid who you are doing on the side. I know where yo' comin' from playa. Word.

Valerie
Valerie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poor You!!

First of all, I feel sorry for wherever you live!!  I have never had such a situation as I live in NYC (and I'm pretty sure they don't exist here...LOL!!)

I would have absolutely no hesititancy in saying "Go fuck yourselves!!" as soon as they opened their mouths.  Why would you even listen to their spiel???  Why would you put yourself through that???  Why???

When I was a flight attendant, I remember seeing some "mormon missionaries" boarding the plane.  I was as rude as I could be, without getting into trouble.  Why should I be kind to horrible people who try and push their beliefs on others...who try and destroy the lives of trusting tribal peoples!!!  These people are truly evil and do not deserve any of your time!!!

"Religion must die for mankind to live" - Bill Maher

"Those who deny reason cannot be conquered by it" - Ayn Rand

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Valerie wrote:First of all,

Valerie wrote:

First of all, I feel sorry for wherever you live!!  I have never had such a situation as I live in NYC (and I'm pretty sure they don't exist here...LOL!!)

I would have absolutely no hesititancy in saying "Go fuck yourselves!!" as soon as they opened their mouths.  Why would you even listen to their spiel???  Why would you put yourself through that???  Why???

When I was a flight attendant, I remember seeing some "mormon missionaries" boarding the plane.  I was as rude as I could be, without getting into trouble.  Why should I be kind to horrible people who try and push their beliefs on others...who try and destroy the lives of trusting tribal peoples!!!  These people are truly evil and do not deserve any of your time!!!

where was the flight headed?

they're here in slovakia and two years ago they managed to get their bullshit outfit registered as an official church, mostly via a petition wherein they totally misrepresented themselves.

i told them once when they made the mistake of accosting me in the street, "look, these people don't know who you are, but i'm an american and i know all about your murderous, polygamous past, so go fuck yourselves."  they snorted and moved on.  of course i hate religion in general, but mormons might possibly be at the top of my list.

i teach high school english here (as a foreign language, obviously), and we sometimes have a conversation lesson on religion or philosophy.  while they're pretty strict on secularism in state schools here (thankfully), i never miss an opportunity to talk shit about the mormons, mostly because this country is almost totally catholic, lutheran, or calvinist, so there's virtually zero chance of any of my students being mormon.  and i'd like to keep it that way.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Alex14
User is offlineOffline
Valerie wrote:First of all,

Valerie wrote:

Lucky you! But they exist here in NYC, oh they do! Even more so now that our landlord doesn't care much and the door to the buliding is busted so anyone can come in. There a lot of Mormons walking around where I live and I really hope they never stop me. I had such a bad experience with them once. My family and I were homeless once and they used to stalk the shelter (they were like vultures!) as soon as they saw someone they 'attacked' (usually women with or without children). They had stopped my mother and I. I said no thnks, not interested, I'm an atheist. They actually said that maybe that was why we were homeless. My atheism caused my mother and brother (forget about the evil heretic!) to be homeless. I wished I would have said something but I was so fucking pissed off I could barely speak. I just grabbed my mother and we left.  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
dingusdangus wrote:And if

dingusdangus wrote:
And if that didn't make them run out of my house as fast as they could, it would get worse. I would read them some of Brian37's poetry.

I have to admit, I lol'd. Mostly because I WOULD leave if someone started reading any poetry at all.

Alex14 wrote:
They actually said that maybe that was why we were homeless. My atheism caused my mother and brother (forget about the evil heretic!) to be homeless. I wished I would have said something but I was so fucking pissed off I could barely speak. I just grabbed my mother and we left. 

I think I'd have punched him out. Unless I was in a witty and cruel mood. If so, I'd have said I'm atheist because I'm homeless. The church took everything and gave nothing in my time of need. I'd have seen how much I could get from him before vanishing.

Alex14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Alex14

Vastet wrote:
Alex14 wrote:
They actually said that maybe that was why we were homeless. My atheism caused my mother and brother (forget about the evil heretic!) to be homeless. I wished I would have said something but I was so fucking pissed off I could barely speak. I just grabbed my mother and we left. 
I think I'd have punched him out. Unless I was in a witty and cruel mood. If so, I'd have said I'm atheist because I'm homeless. The church took everything and gave nothing in my time of need. I'd have seen how much I could get from him before vanishing.

Oh, I wanted to but the way I was feeling I probably would have done more. But I still regret not saying something.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hope you record it

dingusdangus wrote:

One of my fantasies is to answer the door to some religious whackos and just invite them in and agree with everything they say, and then, slowly but surely, start to spew extremely religious nut-job insanity, as in say stuff like, "the godless heathens just don't understand the death and destruction that awaits them in their eternity of bloody, writhing, torturous mayhem in Hell that Satan himself will personally conduct upon their sickening souls".

And then, when they are already freaked out a bit, I will declare, as I stand on my own dinner table, "Let us pray, brothers, and show Satan that we are not afraid of him, that we will welcome him to our table, and cast him out like yesterdays wine".

And then, I would pluck some of my snakes from their cages and start dancing around while "speaking in tongues".

And if that didn't make them run out of my house as fast as they could, it would get worse.

I would read them some of Brian37's poetry.

I'd love to see their faces. Maybe you could spin some beatles records backwards just to put the icing on the cake....Christians or whatever they are, take satan ever so seriously. I can make my mother cry by telling her I love satan and have invited him into my life as my personal saviour. She whimpers: "Be careful - he'll hear you...."

Consider Fonzie over on the 600 million-post 'It Works For Me' thread elsewhere here. Now there's a guy who activates my "Why don't You Fuck Off and Die-ommeter". He insists that I don't believe him about jesus because, as I don't know exactly where we came from and what we are doing on this planet in the universe, satan has personally filled the empty house of my mind (his agonising metaphor) with demons. It's an excellent argument and I would encourage everyone to go over and say hi to the Fonz and tell him he's cool.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
great thread guys i like it

great thread guys i like it  

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
History

Even though you and evidently those on this site believe that the X in place of Christ is an attempt at blasphemy, it is not, so don't get too excited.  The X for Christ goes way back and was invented by Christians, not those outside the church.  Unfortunately, even many Christians do not get this.  So, you might be offending some, but even a little bit of history would show you the error in your thinking.

In Greek, the name of Christ is cristoV.  You will notice that the first two letters are Chi and Rho.  That monogram has been used for ages by the church.  Later, the Rho was dropped and the X (Chi) was used for the name Christ.  Terms such as Xians and Xianity were also used during the days of the printing press to cut down on printing costs.

I get on to Christians for being offended because they do not know the truth so I am letting you in the truth as well.  Xmas, Xian, and Xianity is not blasphemous.  By the way, if you want to steal it UE, it should be Xian, and not Xtian.  The "t" is the last letter of Christ.  The X stands for the entire name of Christ.

Lastly, as one who does share my faith with people - just a simple "I am not interested" is enough.  I have met people who slam the door in my face and I have met people interested in talking.  I am more than happy to debate, talk, etc . . . but there is no reason to be rude.  I really believe that without Christ, a person will go to hell.  It is because of that belief that I care enough to go door-to-door.  It is because of that belief that I spend time on this site.  I agree that late in the evening is not appropriate and early in the morning is not a good idea, but I will say this.  The one going door-to-door is the one spending the day (3 or 4 hours) doing what he or she believes to be best.  It takes a person less than a minute to simply say, "I am not interested, have a nice day."  If the person sharing their faith does not leave, then perhaps a more firm approach is needed.  I have always simply said, "Thank you" and moved on.  I am a Christian (Xian - if that makes you feel better) therefore; I do not believe what Mormons or JW's believe.  When they show up at my door - I will talk with them and show them the error of their belief and then I am done.  If I do not have time - I simply say I am busy, take their literature, and put it in the trash.  I do not agree with them, but I am never rude to them.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Even though you and

"Even though you and evidently those on this site believe that the X in place of Christ is an attempt at blasphemy, it is not, so don't get too excited.  The X for Christ goes way back and was invented by Christians, not those outside the church.  Unfortunately, even many Christians do not get this.  So, you might be offending some, but even a little bit of history would show you the error in your thinking."

Whether true or not, who cares? You do realise that xmas and xtian are faster to type, right?

Also, as this topic demonstrates, there is more than enough reason to be rude to people invading your space without invitation. Whether religious or a vacuum salesman, they were not invited to discuss anything, let alone do so at all hours.

Overlord Speedy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
re: Poor You!

"Why should I be kind to horrible people who try and push their beliefs on others...who try and destroy the lives of trusting tribal peoples!!! "

I was a Mormon missionary years ago in South America (Argentina...which is only about 35% trusting tribal people and the rest from Europe). In 2 years' time, I don't feel that I once tried to push anything on anybody. It was always about being there to talk about questions that people had, providing answers when we could, and respecting others' beliefs in the same manner that we hope they will respect ours. Sure we knocked on doors (just not before 10am or after 9pm). And believe it or not, we responded well to an honest and courteous: "Thanks, but no thanks."

I still believe what I believe, because of what it has done for ME in MY life. I don't expect anybody else to believe in something simply because I do. That's what counts most, right? You live your own life, you search for the answers that are there for YOU, and that's what you stick to. When something better comes along, or an idea makes sense, you grab onto THAT one, and so on. Even an Athiest would do well to live life that way. Although I don't agree with the beliefs discussed here, I certainly respect those of you who are true to yourselves, regardless of what your beliefs are. The second you stop searching for meaning to your life is the moment you stop truly living.

What I can't stand, however, is angry intolerance towards people who believe in something different than you. What's the point in getting mad over something you have no control over? Granted, if the dude is knocking at your door at 7am and wants to argue, well...I'll leave that one up to you. Even Mormons like to sleep in on Saturday mornings!

Thanks for letting me contribute!

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Even though

REVLyle wrote:

Even though you and evidently those on this site believe that the X in place of Christ is an attempt at blasphemy, it is not, so don't get too excited.  

...it should be Xian, and not Xtian.  The "t" is the last letter of Christ.  The X stands for the entire name of Christ.

Huh.  Well I hadn't really considered it an attempt at blasphemy I just thought it looked cool.  But that was interesting to learn, so thanks.  Smiling  I'll remember not to type the 't' from now on.

Sterculius
Sterculius's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think we've had but

I don't think we've had but one door 2 door in 5 years where we're at.

I get it on the street downtown in the city I work in going to lunch in the summer.

I just usually tell them no thanks and keep walking.

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such."
Homer Simpson

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a couple of days ago..

A couple of days ago, we had a van pull up in our street and the guys in suits and the gals in dresses piled out with their literature and started down the block.  We let the dogs out in the yard and they didn't attempt to get in the gate.      Um, four barking dogs, one of whom is 70 pounds, two others are hysterical.  Even after we called the dogs back in, they still didn't come to the door.  Good dogs, have a cookie.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Micky (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Well, yes and no.

I agree with you that there is no need to be rude, but that is often easier said than done. Most of the atheists I know (including myself) were raised in a relatively Christian background, and the realisation that you have essentially been lied to about the nature of existence all your life understandably makes some people very angry against all forms of faith. I feel that that is a phase I have moved beyond, but I sympathise with those who cannot be so sanguine about what they (we) see as the propagation of pernicious nonsense. Nevertheless, I think being polite is the only way to respond - even if the missionary is uncomfortably personal or rude, because by remaining calm you have the high ground. I believe someone one said something about turning the other cheek which might be relevant here, but I can't remember who, so let that go.

On the other hand, the idea that what works for you is 'what counts most' is not something I accept. Essentially you are rejecting any notion of objective truth - just one illusion following another until 'something better comes along'.

Kotkel Sleekstoneeye (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
What to do when "babble bashers" knock on your door.

I answer the door with my double bladed Broad Axe and wildly say, "WHAT do you WANT?! --I'm BUSY!!"

I distract them briefly by wiggling the Broad Axe in my hand, you know, in that particular way to get the light to reflect off the blades into their faces...

Then, I slam the door in their stunned silence, and leave them to wonder...

-What the hell could a Broad Axe wielding guy possibly be busy doing?-

LOL!

They never knock twice... Smiling 

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tell the biblet humpers

I tell the biblet humpers even better and newer news. I show them the photographs and news article from Kenya 1988, with their Christ right there, among people, next to Mary Akatsa.
Well, then they I guess start something about the Antichrist. Then I say something like "by their fruits ye shall know them" and show some more of the documentation I have, as the good fruits. A few examples of reincarnation that ancient censors forgot to erase from Bible, are also good things to try.

Well, so it would be, if all locals Jehovah's witnesses wouldn't already know better than step into the very bastion of occultism in this region. My parents managed to scare them away for good, before I grew up and could enjoy them a little. But ocassionally I borrow their pamphlets for a good laugh, if I must wait and have nothing else to read.

Just recently, I borrowed something about technology. "What could possibly Jehovah know about technology?" I wondered, as an Automatization technics graduatee.  So I took that pamphlet and looked at it. The answer was, as I expected, disappointing. Nothing, that's the answer. There is no way how Jahwe can tell me anything about technology, computers, science, and other such interesting topics. All that Jahwe can do, is to pick a few ambiguous quotes from Bible, that tell people to be careful, moderate, forethoughted, and respective to parents, and relate that shit to whatever topic there is. All the Watch tower pamphlets are terribly simple-minded and boring, unless the topic is teenage sex, then there are some interesting stories.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

johnny (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
what do you do?

I have many experiences here as normally I am happy to invite these people in for tea! ( how very british of me!) There were a group of young Mormon guys who came in and explained their beliefs..... How odd that the ten commandments turned up in Montanna!....... I asked many questions and recieved informed ( scripturally) answers. When they informed me they were about to pray for me iI told them it would be an empty gesture and should therefore pray for themselves. Which they did, though I´m sure I was included! Then off they went failing to sign up my soul. They were I have to say, lovely gentlemen however deluded!

Then there were the Jehova´s Witness ladies! Betty was a lovely old grandma who was very impressed with my knowledge of the old Testament, and I just couldn´t tell her that my knowledge of the War between angels and humans came from a Lara Croft game! Any way throughout our many discussions on Creationism i managed to get her to acknowledge the actual existence of Dinosaurs!....... She never returned! Shame, she used to bring cakes!

The best thing to do is to be polite and never accept their prayers they´ll take it as a victory for God! And always know that you will never win! their minds are too warped to allow satan a victory!

Take care...... Johnny

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
johnny wrote:I have many

johnny wrote:

I have many experiences here as normally I am happy to invite these people in for tea! ( how very british of me!) There were a group of young Mormon guys who came in and explained their beliefs..... How odd that the ten commandments turned up in Montanna!....... I asked many questions and recieved informed ( scripturally) answers. When they informed me they were about to pray for me iI told them it would be an empty gesture and should therefore pray for themselves. Which they did, though I´m sure I was included! Then off they went failing to sign up my soul. They were I have to say, lovely gentlemen however deluded!

Then there were the Jehova´s Witness ladies! Betty was a lovely old grandma who was very impressed with my knowledge of the old Testament, and I just couldn´t tell her that my knowledge of the War between angels and humans came from a Lara Croft game! Any way throughout our many discussions on Creationism i managed to get her to acknowledge the actual existence of Dinosaurs!....... She never returned! Shame, she used to bring cakes!

The best thing to do is to be polite and never accept their prayers they´ll take it as a victory for God! And always know that you will never win! their minds are too warped to allow satan a victory!

Take care...... Johnny

my goodness, you sure are fond of exclamation marks...

--Hunter S. Thompson

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a use for the JW pamphlet

If you're thirsty, you can always use the JW literature to open a beer bottle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou9mMNDngHs

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."