What are we doing here apart from complaining about how stupid theists are?

Amazonka
Amazonka's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. "What are we doing

Welcome.

"What are we doing here apart from complaining about how stupid theists are?"

Uhm, lots of stuff. What are you doing besides asking loaded questions?

"Shall we celebrate Christmas in style?"

Define style, and celebrate, and christmas, so I can avoid assuming what you mean by this.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Discussing why people

Discussing why people believe silly things (not just God).

Alerting people to when Theists attempt to introduce laws to support their ideas and restrict the freedom of people who don't share their beliefs, and discussing if there is something we can do about it.

Allowing Theists to argue with us and tell us why they believe.

Discussing 'free thought', rationality, reason, science, and similar things which non-believers are definitely more likely to be interested in than more religious people.

Talking about things that may have nothing to do with religion, but which we may share an interest in, like certain categories of movies, books, TV shows etc. Atheists are varied in their interests and tastes, but there still tend to some interests which we are a bit more likely to share than a random selection of the public.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello! The purpose of this

Hello!
The purpose of this website is to give a place to hang out for atheists, oppressed by religious surroundings, like their neighbours, family, cats and dogs. Next, it's a great source of information on the origins and practices of Christianity. And finally, besides general chat of like-minded people, it's a way to learn about the other side, for all kinds of people that can behave politely enough.

As I understand what Normal Bob Smith wrote in his article (and I still get more and more respect for that man) the purpose of dialogue between religions and atheism is not to convert each other, though we all want it. This would be a bit unrealistic. But what is realistic and desirable, is to learn about each other enough to co-exist peacefully. Theists should understand, that atheists don't eat babies, so there is no need to oppress them, and atheists... well, there is always a lot to learn.

Btw, where are you from? Your nickname is compatible with Czech or Slovak language.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
You could blow me a kiss Amazonka

And make it a big one...

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awww. Don't be silly,

Awww. Don't be silly, Amazonka.

We make fun of stupid people regardless of their ideology.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Amazonka
Amazonka's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Alerting

BobSpence1 wrote:

Alerting people to when Theists attempt to introduce laws to support their ideas and restrict the freedom of people who don't share their beliefs, and discussing if there is something we can do about it.

I like this part. I thought you were here ACTIVE atheists, but it looks to me that you are no different to other atheists internet communities, only whining about theists, your discussions don't go beyond this forum.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Amazonka wrote:BobSpence1

Amazonka wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like this part. I thought you were here ACTIVE atheists, but it looks to me that you are no different to other atheists internet communities, only whining about theists, your discussions don't go beyond this forum. 

Ever heard of the blaspheme challenge? Its still attracting attention and goes well beyond these forums. Also, another thing we like to do is to tell trolls to GTFO, maybe we'll get to do it again some time soon.

Amazonka
Amazonka's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ever heard of the

Quote:

Ever heard of the blaspheme challenge?

Its still attracting attention and goes well beyond these forums. Also, another thing we like to do is to tell trolls to GTFO, maybe we'll get to do it again some time soon.

No, I have not. Tell me about it.

Trolling?  Are you pointing at me?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
HI there Amazonka ~ Welcome

HI there Amazonka ~ Welcome !

What are your thoughts when it comes to how "we" should celebrate Christmas?

And when you use 'we' in your only sentence in your original post, are you assuming that *you are one of *us and are you implying *we/us* as a group of ~ Humans, atheists....forum members, friends...should celebrate Christmas in some specific way?

Or as my father would say :  "We? what,  you got a turd in your pocket?"

With regards to the use of the word troll ~ many people with similar content to that of your only post here on these forums end up being the 'dump and run' type of posters ~ hence, troll. But of course, you could just be someone of few words...

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazonka wrote:BobSpence1

Amazonka wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Discussing what we can do about it is NOT "just whining about theists". It is planning what to do about it.

You appear to be determined to stick to your point even when we show the contrary.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Discussing

BobSpence1 wrote:
Discussing what we can do about it is NOT "just whining about theists". It is planning what to do about it.

You appear to be determined to stick to your point even when we show the contrary.

Yeah, that's what concern trolls do.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazonka wrote:What are we

Amazonka wrote:

What are you doing here?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Amazonka
Amazonka's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Amazonka

butterbattle wrote:

Amazonka wrote:

What are you doing here?

I am stirring you up, if you have not noticed...

I think, we (atheists) should celebrate Christmas with a protest, reminding people what this celebration is about and why religion is evil.

Start with saying Happy New Year instead of Merry Christmas.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I coined the term "Merry

I coined the term "Merry ChristMyAss because it's just two letters away."  Feel free to use it.  For the last few years I did a ChristMyAss broadcast.  I'm still unsure what my Christmas day schedule is, and my current broadcasting capabilities, but the show is a possibility.  I'll let people know if I'm gonna have one.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazonka wrote:butterbattle

Amazonka wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Amazonka wrote:

What are you doing here?

I am stirring you up, if you have not noticed...

That is one of the defining characteristics of a 'troll', as if you didn't know....

Quote:

I think, we (atheists) should celebrate Christmas with a protest, reminding people what this celebration is about and why religion is evil.

Start with saying Happy New Year instead of Merry Christmas.

Or a positive celebration emphasizing the original pagan roots of the festival, just to rub their noses in the fact that Jesus has nothing to do with it.

Happy New Year doesn't quite make sense.

Amazonka
Amazonka's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well... we are just

Well... we are just a couple of weeks away from the year 2010. So I wish you a Happy New Year!

I think it makes a perfect sense. Celebrating Christmas a pagan religion style makes less sense for me - an atheist.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazonka wrote:Well... we

Amazonka wrote:

Well... we are just a couple of weeks away from the year 2010. So I wish you a Happy New Year!

I think it makes a perfect sense. Celebrating Christmas a pagan religion style makes less sense for me - an atheist.

I have no problem adopting a ritual, just treating it as based on a narrative, a myth, and in this case one that is far more fun and interesting to me than the Xian crap. The Greek and Roman gods, the Norse Gods, all much more fun than boring old Jehovah/Yahweh...

New Year's is a separate celebration, no need to mix 'em up.

AaronAgassi
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Welcome. "What

Vastet wrote:
Welcome. "What are we doing here apart from complaining about how stupid theists are?" Uhm, lots of stuff. What are you doing besides asking loaded questions? "Shall we celebrate Christmas in style?" Define style, and celebrate, and christmas, so I can avoid assuming what you mean by this.

It's a fair question, even beyond just "stirring the pot" (let alone actually hostile trolling). So I do appreciate the activism on this site.

I myself try to take on any fine points of rational response to apologetics, beyond all that has been repeated endlessly, on my own webpage: http://www.FoolQuest.com/atheism.htm and I also have an atheist activist petition at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/surgeon-general-please-break-the-healthcare-deadlock