Author & Journalist Naomi Klein :Fate of the Planet rest on Mass Movement for Climate Justice

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Author & Journalist Naomi Klein :Fate of the Planet rest on Mass Movement for Climate Justice

Has any here been following the Climate Talks in Copenhagen or do we have Naomi Klein(Shock Doctrine and No Logo author) fan's here ,she's a Canadian that has really lit the fire under the feet of world leaders.I think that she has a deep understanding of the common people and she cares about the Planet. i3.democracynow.org/2009/12/11/klein    

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wish her all the luck

As of tonight the chinese look to be hedging. I want to be positive but I think the best we can do is stick to our worm farms and walk to work. I can't see the big boys moving past their vested interests. Conservation is not something our short term politicians should be talking about. What do they care about what happens in a few years? They care about jobs and votes (and part of me blames them not a wit).

This doesn't apply to china so much, however. A long term chinese leader of vision could make a real personal contribution on behalf of all of us.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
If China gets serious about

If China gets serious about addressing GW, and there is evidence that they have been moving in that direction for a while now, at least their Govt has more power to get something happening on a national scale than does the US Federal Govt.

I also think that they have so many competitive businesses there, that if they can see a chance of making money out of getting in early on selling 'green' technology, they will. And at least some of this technology is likely to be genuinely helpful in addressing the problems of Carbon reduction/sequestration, and low-carbon energy. They already have a few very interesting electric vehicle companies.

IOW they will have no ideological objections to moving into new industries if countries like the US are slow, due to to big established companies in the US built on old tech being reluctant or unable to change quickly.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not long after posting that,

Not long after posting that, I started listening to the second part of a BBC podcast "Can China Go Green?", which backs up pretty much everything I said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/index.shtml

All excellent podcasts.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology