Large Hadron Collider is back!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Large Hadron Collider is back!

The Large Hadron Collider back in businessScientists successfully restarted the Large Hadron Collider this weekend, aiming to power the £6 billion Big Bang simulator up to record-breaking speeds.

Large Hadron Collider back online CNN

CERN Restarts Hadron Collider After 14-Month Delay Over Fault Bloomberg

Large Hadron Collider Working Again Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies

(CNN) -- "The LHC is back," the European Organization for Nuclear Research announced triumphantly Friday, as the world's largest particle accelerator resumed operation more than a year after an electrical failure shut it down. Restarting the Large Hadron Collider -- the $10 billion research tool's full name -- has been "a herculean effort," CERN's director for accelerators, Steve Myers, said in a statement announcing the success. Experiments at the LHC may help answer fundamental questions such as why Albert Einstein's theory of relativity -- which describes the world on a large scale -- doesn't jibe with quantum mechanics, which deals with matter far too small to see. Physicists established a circulating proton beam in the LHC's 17-mile tunnel at 10 p.m. (4 p.m. ET) Friday, CERN said, a critical step towards getting results from the accelerator.

Other Hadron Collider discussions on our website:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15297

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/yellow_number_five/science/8277

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/yellow_number_five/science/8334

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look

I just hope they hurry up and find the Hoggs Bison.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I just hope they hurry up and find the Hoggs Bison.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH

OH NOES!!!!!!!11!!ONE

÷0!

Oh wait... we're still here...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:OH

Vastet wrote:
OH NOES!!!!!!!11!!ONE ÷0! Oh wait... we're still here...

But now there's a micro black hole orbiting the centre of the earth. I give us three days, max.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm not going to celebrate

I'm not going to celebrate until they get that sucker cranked up to full power.  It's like celebrating a NASA launch just because the rocket is on the pad.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:I'm not going

Watcher wrote:

I'm not going to celebrate until they get that sucker cranked up to full power.  It's like celebrating a NASA launch just because the rocket is on the pad.

1.18 TeV twin beams on Monday 11/30

That's a record.

3.5 TeV collisions are the short term plan.  (Side note: Comparative force of collision is exponential not directly proportional.)

Don't forget to switch your minds from 2D to 4D when they go from beam alignment to collisions.

There is a new-ish video on the main page for those interested. Unfortunately for those objectifying physicists on looks, it does not feature Brian Cox or Virginia Greco. lol. Just sayin'

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

/0

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
They're now reportedly

They're now reportedly racing to publish some of the results from the collisions.  I'm sure I'll be able to find a good article about it, but they're working on that now.  I really want to see what they put out.

From what I have gathered the measurements agree with current theory and past experiments.  Nothing incredibly groundbreaking I suppose, but a good sign that the LHC is working well enough to produce accurate results.

Once I see the published notes I'll post it, if you can beat me to it please do.

Also, I've never heard of arxiv before, I'm gonna have to look into that site.

I never thought there were corners in my mind until I was told to stand in one.

I have learned so much, thanks for keeping it real RRS.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi MrPal,Where have you read

Hi MrPal,

Where have you read this?

(I have AOL, so I am treated to such weighty topics as "how the First Ladies Decorate Their Christmas Trees."

No, I did not make this up, unfortunately. Do you know offhand if the data is available for independent analysis?

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:Hi

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

Hi MrPal,

(I have AOL, so I am treated to such weighty topics as "how the First Ladies Decorate Their Christmas Trees."

No, I did not make this up, unfortunately. Do you know offhand if the data is available for independent analysis?

I'm looking on this arxiv.org site now, it has a lot of really cool articles, but THEY NEED A BETTER SEARCH OPTION.  

Here's what I found thanks to the Google search of "arxiv.org large hadron collider university of birmingham"

Yay I finally found it.  Thanks Google.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5430

You'll have to download it in pdf format.  I'm going to read it now and hope I know what they're talking about.  Being such a layman can really be a pain.

Edit:  Hmm, that was posted on the website about a week ago.  I wonder if the articles I've read are remarking on even more up to date info?  It's likely.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrPal

MrPal wrote:

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

Hi MrPal,

I'm looking on this arxiv.org site now, it has a lot of really cool articles, but THEY NEED A BETTER SEARCH OPTION.  

Here's what I found thanks to the Google search of "arxiv.org large hadron collider university of birmingham"

Yay I finally found it.  Thanks Google.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5430

You'll have to download it in pdf format.  I'm going to read it now and hope I know what they're talking about.  Being such a layman can really be a pain.

Edit:  Hmm, that was posted on the website about a week ago.  I wonder if the articles I've read are remarking on even more up to date info?  It's likely.

Have you got a link to the articles?

BTW, that paper is up to date information, thanks for posting. It's basically just confirming that ALICE (one of the LHC detectors) is giving us sensible data from the first collision.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Eloise, and you are

Hi Eloise, and you are welcome. 

I discovered the articles by searching "large hadron collider" in Google news.  I can't say I recommend any of the sites, especially considering that one site tried to launch two pop ups for just looking at a single page.  Bleh, that reminds me to wipe my cookies.  Anyway that lead me to find arxiv, which I am glad to see is recommended by RRS and a sticky thread in this forum!

It doesn't appear they've published anything yet, at least for laymen, but I'll keep an eye out.

(I'm so glad they built this juggernaut of a machine.  Smiling)

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ALICE data files take three

ALICE data files take three weeks to get to their home page for non-collisions. lol.

If we start a pool, put me down for 12-19 at 1:00pm GMT.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/09/lhc_2_tev_collisions/

Potent quotables:

Quote:
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), already the most powerful particle-punisher ever built, smashed its own record yesterday night as humanity's first 2.36 Tera-electron-volt collisions were recorded.

Twice as fast as the old record which were last month.  Win!

Quote:
The various tinfoil-chapeau'd LHC doom prophets, who believe that the mighty experiment is sure to destroy the world and/or universe in some kind of black-hole blunder, runaway conceptual custardisation process, "collaptical explosion" etc, will no doubt be hugely frustrated today. Yet again, the promised apocalypse has failed to materialise.

lol a middle school teacher gets more attentions than the world's most brilliant scientists.  

I don't know some of the basis as to what's being said in the article but hey, it's twice as fast as the old record.  (Or is it technically?  I don't know shit about this kinda stuff.)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Vastet

natural wrote:

Vastet wrote:
OH NOES!!!!!!!11!!ONE ÷0! Oh wait... we're still here...

But now there's a micro black hole orbiting the centre of the earth. I give us three days, max.

I should've bet you. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.