the loss of god

pm9347
Theist
pm9347's picture
User is offlineOffline
the loss of god

im concerned that the loss of god in our society is creating a world that will be an terrible place to live. Look at the news everday the worst type of human behavior is is shown , our society is falling apart. now its true our media is the worst at reporting the truth. They are more interested in selling papers , but looking at the issue god has been removed from the basics of the community, and now people have lost the fear of judgement by god . Since they have no one to fear and fear causes guidance , they feel they are free to do whatever they want , killing , divorce , rape , etc. how do athiest maitain a moral system without guidance ? is there a moral code ? does the law become the guidance ? i need some understanding.

pat

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Because the capabilities of this imagined being is limited to what the people who imagined him could imagine...

Stop it, Bob.  You're starting to make an argument for why we're not supposed to run around defining G-d.  Keep it up and no more cheeseburgers for you.

So the logical conclusion is that you can know NOTHING about such a being, even if IT existed, and the Universe actually is more comprehensible and potentially knowable if it is not being possibly f**ked around with from instant to instant.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Because the capabilities of this imagined being is limited to what the people who imagined him could imagine...

Stop it, Bob.  You're starting to make an argument for why we're not supposed to run around defining G-d.  Keep it up and no more cheeseburgers for you.

So the logical conclusion is that you can know NOTHING about such a being, even if IT existed, and the Universe actually is more comprehensible and potentially knowable if it is not being possibly f**ked around with from instant to instant.

I think the answer is "Yes, because the concept of puppet-master-god is pretty dumb."  But the "instant to instant" sounds a bit like what we were discussing, in re, G-d continually recreating the Universe.  In which case, it is much easier to think of the Universe as "static", but Physics teaches us that the Universe isn't as static as we might like.  So, the Universe changes in ways that we used to think of as "impossible", but which were described in the Torah and Qur'an long before we ever got around to "discovering" them through Science.

On the other hand, assuming the second is a reference to the logical outcome of puppet-master-god, yes -- dumping puppet-master-god makes things MUCH easier to understand.  Science will tell you how it all works, no need to worry about G-d reaching down (metaphorically speaking, because G-d doesn't have arms ...) and fiddling with the equations on the Cosmic Whiteboard of Existence.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."