A more important question.

outofnowheres
outofnowheres's picture
User is offlineOffline
A more important question.

Instead of "Do you believe in gods?", how about "Do you believe in souls?" because if there is a god or gods but souls don't exist, then its kinda pointless to believe in gods if there is no afterlife to possibly meet them. Right?

Idiots are Fun! No wonder every village wants one.-House

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Luminon

Marquis wrote:

Luminon wrote:

There is no such thing as dead matter.

Unless you object to it, I have decided to challenge you to a one-on-one debate on "spirituality".

Your call next. (There is a forum called one-on-one debate...)

I gladly agree. Let's search for the truth together.
However, as the forum description says, Setup your one on one debate through Sapient via the contact forum. I don't know about the contact forum, perhaps it's a typo and it says "contact form", which could be a personal message.
Furthermore, this month is an exam month, so the responses won't be so frequent, depending on topic and number of exams on the day. Some really deep responses took several days to write. I of course backup the text as long as I'm working on it.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:responses

Luminon wrote:
responses won't be so frequent

That's not a problem. All things in your own good time.

Are there any specific rules you want to play by?

I myself will only set as a limit that we each have one post, then one reply, etc. Never two in a row.

The answer comes when it comes - even if it takes days and weeks.

I don't want to insult your intelligence with rules of conduct and such. You know what you are doing.

I want to begin by addressing the limitations of discussion, i.e. where does "spirituality" begin and end, as a concept.

Please note that whereas I am accepting of "beliefs" as tacit truths of many people's lives, I don't really see this as an evolutionary benevolent force... and, as such, I don't have as much "respect" for it as many would like to see. However, I respect the free flying thought and the "Icarus" urge of human mind; to search for that which is impossible, no matter the practical consequence. I think of that as admireable heroism, insofar that it doesn't involve the terror and demise of any third party.

Anyway, let's get the party started, shall we?

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:That's not a

Marquis wrote:

That's not a problem. All things in your own good time.

Are there any specific rules you want to play by?

I myself will only set as a limit that we each have one post, then one reply, etc. Never two in a row.

Sure, that's a common sense, I think.

Marquis wrote:
The answer comes when it comes - even if it takes days and weeks.
Yeah, but if I can see a reply would take longer, (like if I'd travel somewhere) then I'll let you know.

Marquis wrote:
I don't want to insult your intelligence with rules of conduct and such. You know what you are doing.

I want to begin by addressing the limitations of discussion, i.e. where does "spirituality" begin and end, as a concept.

Please note that whereas I am accepting of "beliefs" as tacit truths of many people's lives, I don't really see this as an evolutionary benevolent force... and, as such, I don't have as much "respect" for it as many would like to see. However, I respect the free flying thought and the "Icarus" urge of human mind; to search for that which is impossible, no matter the practical consequence. I think of that as admireable heroism, insofar that it doesn't involve the terror and demise of any third party.

Anyway, let's get the party started, shall we?

Sure, let's rock! You'll see that my worldview is very complex, all-including, and that my idea of spirituality is a bit different than is the cultural connotation.
Can you somehow get the topic started, please? Contacting Sapient Might be a good idea. I've got to refresh my knowledge of economy for tomorrow's pre-exam test.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Sure, let's

Luminon wrote:
Sure, let's rock!

It's on. And funnily enough, I have a degree in economy...

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
What's a soul?

Is a soul necessarily imortal? 

Or supernatural? 

What is this thing sitting inside my face looking out?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Huh?

secrethoosier wrote:
What is this thing sitting inside my face looking out?

Which do you mean? Your eyes or your brain?

I can certainly say that it is not some fuzzy, feel good energy independent of your body.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
What am I

Rationality has it's limits when thinking about one's self.  I'm not suggesting that I'm anything more than matter, but it doesn't help me to know that.  I have to think kind of poetically when looking inwardly.   I know I'm a machine, but I don't feel like one.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
secrethoosier

secrethoosier wrote:
Rationality has it's limits when thinking about one's self.  I'm not suggesting that I'm anything more than matter, but it doesn't help me to know that.  I have to think kind of poetically when looking inwardly.   I know I'm a machine, but I don't feel like one.
And how do you know how a machine feels?

Ok, I was joking, it's possible. But tell me, what is matter. A dense form of energy, perhaps? So what is energy?
Sorry, I must have caught the questioning virus from Marquis. Through air, of course Smiling

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
outofnowheres wrote:Instead

outofnowheres wrote:

Instead of "Do you believe in gods?", how about "Do you believe in souls?" because if there is a god or gods but souls don't exist, then its kinda pointless to believe in gods if there is no afterlife to possibly meet them. Right?

Some Christians believe that rather than a surviving "soul", God resurrects and recreates your physical body.
The soul isn't necessary for Christian theology.

I don't believe in "the soul" as in a supernatural entity that exists beyond the body.
However, I think it makes a fine word/metaphor for our character/being/presence etc.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never saw a soul. Nothing

I never saw a soul. Nothing tells me there is a soul, unless by soul you mean concience. My dog has a concience, some other animals have a concience, they are just not as developed as a humans.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin