A more important question.

outofnowheres
outofnowheres's picture
User is offlineOffline
A more important question.

Instead of "Do you believe in gods?", how about "Do you believe in souls?" because if there is a god or gods but souls don't exist, then its kinda pointless to believe in gods if there is no afterlife to possibly meet them. Right?

Idiots are Fun! No wonder every village wants one.-House

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

You are in heaven and god instructs you, on his behalf, to descend to hell and oversee the torment and torture of a group of people.

Would you do it?

Yes or no.

God is the overseer of Hell, I wouldn't be needed and as the Bible clearly affirms: vengeance belongs to God.

Speaking Truth in love,

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." - Paul to the Corinthians
------
Christian | Amaterialist | Supernaturalist | Anti-Crypto-Theist
------
Facts do not speak for themselves.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the old testament, god

instructs the israelites to exact his vengeance on the babylonians, including dashing the babies against stones and taking the virgins as spoils of war. The biblical god is apparently, not beyond using people to carry out his vengeance.

Given this fact, is the old testament god wrong in using the israelites to kill the babylonians, or is your claim vengeance belongs personally to god, demonstrably wrong?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Why don't you have the guts to answer this?

eXnihilO wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

You are in heaven and god instructs you, on his behalf, to descend to hell and oversee the torment and torture of a group of people.

Would you do it?

Yes or no.

God is the overseer of Hell, I wouldn't be needed and as the Bible clearly affirms: vengeance belongs to God.

Make it a hypothetical, eXni. If god told you to kill, like he told the Israelites in the bible to kill, would you do it?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

So from your theological pov it is not possible for a Christian to commit the sin of apostasy ?  Interesting.  Of course I'm sure you know that there is wide disagreement among Christians as to whether your interpretation is correct.

I referenced a couple of New Testament verses in which some translations specifically employed the word "apostasy".  Even in verses that use the term "falling away" the implied meaning is fairly clear. 

2 Thessalonians 2:3       http://bible.cc/2_thessalonians/2-3.htm

1 Timothy 4:1                  http://bible.cc/1_timothy/4-1.htm

I'm sure that you can defend your pov.  You're very good at it, actually.  Yet there are apologists from various denominations who offer an equally eloquent defense of their own view.  Every Christian denomination that exists today has it's apologists and every different interpretation is presented as "biblical"   

My problem is how does an outside observer determine who has the correct interpretation ?  Why should I believe you and not them.

I appreciate your humble candor, it is quite refreshing!

I actually think apostasy is the best translation in 2 Thess 2:3. The Greek word used is 'apostasia.'

A very important element of good Biblical exegesis is letting Scripture interpret other Scripture. First, if you take a look at the definition of apostasy, the meaning would be that of a person who held a religious belief of XYZ and then later starts to deny it. That never implies that they were actually in the faith, or 'saved.' Two other verses prove this I think:

"Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us." 1 John 2:18-19

This is fairly clear to me, and if you read the entire context it's actually John warning us about antichrists. This is the same subject Paul is talking about with the church at Thessalonica as well as with Timothy.

We also see proof that people can 'say' they are Christians, but aren't really believers when Paul writes to Titus:

"They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works..." - Titus 1:16

We also have the words of our Lord:

"On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.' " - Matthew 7:22-23

This isn't even apostates! These are people who thought they were believers to the end... sadly, bad evangelism creates this idea that if you said a prayer one time in Sunday school and held a preachers hand you will be saved... Jesus says that you will know Christians by their fruits, not by them being tricked into saying a prayer by some clever evangelist...

People present different positions on the Bible, but I think some are more honest than others. The best way is to study it yourself without any motives to 'see' one thing or another. We are all broken radios my friend. God is sending a perfect signal, but some of the broken radios distort the signal if you know what I mean.

Speaking Truth in love,

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." - Paul to the Corinthians
------
------

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist,

”…instructs the israelites to exact his vengeance on the babylonians, including dashing the babies against stones and taking the virgins as spoils of war. The biblical god is apparently, not beyond using people to carry out his vengeance.

Given this fact, is the old testament god wrong in using the israelites to kill the babylonians, or is your claim vengeance belongs personally to god, demonstrably wrong?”

I don’t expect you to know the Bible cover to cover, but I do expect at least some humility when you try to tell me what’s what… Why don’t you ask questions and I’ll tell you what a Christian believes instead of you loading all of your questions and statements? I’ll try to do the same.

However, at this point I’m not going to let you jump the gun. It’s ironic when an atheist makes moral complaints against the God who defines morality and gives us an objective standard. I would first like to know how you define morality and then we can see if you qualify to judge your Creator…

“Make it a hypothetical, eXni. If god told you to kill, like he told the Israelites in the bible to kill, would you do it?”

Your question is loaded and I refuse to answer it. Hypotheticals are generally useless. You’re presenting an impossible scenario.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
eXni just to help you here

My father is an evangelical minister, my mother is a missionary, my big brother is a lay preacher, my younger brother is an elder in a charasmatic church. My brother-in-law is a minister, my parents in law, are both ministers (yes, him and her).

I grew up in church, in the house next to the church. Steeped in the church. I lived the life of the church. I was a youth leader in the church. Don't condescend to me about my knowledge of scripture.  Psalm 137, verse 9, is what you are looking

for. And numbers. Spend some time in numbers. Now, I believe I know what morality is and dress it up as you will, morality is about not doing harm to others. I believe you understand morality perfectly well and I want you to tell me whether or not the actions

of your god sit so comfortably with you that you would agree to be the instrument of god's perfect justice. I want to know if you would disobey your god (which is what I believe you would do) or if you would undertake to kill for him, given he is perfectly just.

What I want to know is if your morals are the same morals as your god's morals. And don't be uncomfortable with me, eXni. I know perfectly well why you won't answer.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

I believe I know what morality is and dress it up as you will, morality is about not doing harm to others. I believe you understand morality perfectly well and I want you to tell me whether or not the actions of your god sit so comfortably with you that you would agree to be the instrument of god's perfect justice. I want to know if you would disobey your god (which is what I believe you would do) or if you would undertake to kill for him, given he is perfectly just.

What I want to know is if your morals are the same morals as your god's morals. And don't be uncomfortable with me, eXni. I know perfectly well why you won't answer.

I'm not trying to dodge your question, and I'm not one to make excuses for the behavior of God as many do. All that God does is morally perfect. I will commit to answering you question, with a better answer than simply yes or no...

But before I allow to morally judge the Agent by which we are both observing morality to begin with, I will need your explanation of morality. You don't believe that moral evil boils down to simply doing harm to others and I think I can prove that.

Would it be morally wrong for your employer to commit to pay you $12 per hour and then once you get your paycheck change it to $6?

Would it be morally wrong to race ahead of an old lady on a walker to take her seat on the bus?

Please clarify your meaning of moral good and evil.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:As

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
As to respecting you, other than calling out your belief as based in the land of never was and impossible in reality I have not attacked you as a person. Making a comment such as I did RE: the Moon and green cheese was to indicate how detached from observed reality a belief can be. Yes, it's exaggeration but hardly disrespect. I most certainly disrespect your beliefs, that's for sure. But you, not really, I don't know enough about you to disrespect you, unless of course you are a Steeler's or Patriot's Fan then you would be slime.

I don't think the Moon made of cheese comment is even an exaggeration is it?  How is that more silly than a global flood that has miles of water over every inch of the planet?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
As to respecting you, other than calling out your belief as based in the land of never was and impossible in reality I have not attacked you as a person. Making a comment such as I did RE: the Moon and green cheese was to indicate how detached from observed reality a belief can be. Yes, it's exaggeration but hardly disrespect. I most certainly disrespect your beliefs, that's for sure. But you, not really, I don't know enough about you to disrespect you, unless of course you are a Steeler's or Patriot's Fan then you would be slime.

I don't think the Moon made of cheese comment is even an exaggeration is it?  How is that more silly than a global flood that has miles of water over every inch of the planet?

Good point. If one can believe the flood was real, one can believe the moon is made of green cheese and snakes talk, a man can live in the belly of a whale, the motion of the Earth stopped so the Israelites would have light to finish off a massacre, and several million hebrews wandered a desert for 40 years.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Morality is nothing more

Morality is nothing more than a subjective view on an action(s), or in some cases thought(s), that is filtered by emotion, experience, and instinct. The ultimate flaw with every religion that claims objective morality is the very claim of objective morality. I know enough of the specifics of christianity to detail it with perfection. The bible, by claiming that adam and eve were given the KNOWLEDGE of good and evil, and that the knowledge (and original sin) were passed on to all humanity, leads to the inescapable conclusion that in order to sin, one must feel bad on at least some level, because they know they are going against the truth they know. When I see someone who's being brutalised, be it by aggressor or circumstance, I feel sick inside. I can't imagine being able to override this feeling, it has been with me through all my memories. So that could give credit to the theory of the commandment on killing. But I don't feel bad at all if I see a poor thief steal food or clothing from someone far richer.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't feel anything but

I don't feel anything but freedom of chains made of absolutism by taking no described god as my own. I have no problem with people who worship idols, as long as they don't force their idols on me. And frankly, the implications of that commandment bring that sick feeling back in full. Punishing generations of imposed ignorance is sick.
So based upon the morality that I know deep inside, one is good. Two are debatable on circumstance. The next is evil. The next seems fine until I see it requires obeying evil. Which is evil. At this point, I must conclude that even if there is truth in your religion, it was stained by the hand of evil at some point. And I've only looked at half of your moral absolutes so far.
While there is much potential for good within your religion, even if it is true, then it is evil. By it's own claim that I, as a descendant of the ones who gave us the knowledge of good and evil, know what good and evil are.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

“Morality is nothing more than a subjective view on an action(s), or in some cases thought(s), that is filtered by emotion, experience, and instinct.”

If you are unwillingly to admit that raping children for fun is wrong for all people in all places at all times then I think you may have frontal lobe damage. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually accepts subjective morality outside of online conjecture. It simply never bears itself out. People always seem to appeal to absolutes when their paychecks are short, atheist or otherwise.

“The ultimate flaw with every religion that claims objective morality is the very claim of objective morality.”

Feel free to unpack this; it seemed like an incomplete thought.

“I know enough of the specifics of christianity to detail it with perfection.”

Ironic, considering your previous denial of perfection…

“The bible, by claiming that adam and eve were given the KNOWLEDGE of good and evil, and that the knowledge (and original sin) were passed on to all humanity, leads to the inescapable conclusion that in order to sin, one must feel bad on at least some level, because they know they are going against the truth they know.”

The desires of a person’s heart are evil by nature. When a non-believer does anything with the appearance of ‘good’ God is working in them to bring about blessing to someone. Emotional guilt is irrelevant. You can live a life of sin and never feel bad about it, but you still know it’s wrong. I don’t think all murderers feel badly about what they do, but they all know it’s wrong.

“I can't imagine being able to override this feeling, it has been with me through all my memories.

… I don't feel bad at all if I see a poor thief steal food or clothing from someone far richer.“

The first part is your conscience testifying to God’s law. The second is your opinion. God sees stealing as stealing. If you steal and apple to eat or you rob a bank, you are still a thief.

“At this point, I must conclude that even if there is truth in your religion, it was stained by the hand of evil at some point..”

Unless of course God directs history and preserves His truth…

“While there is much potential for good within your religion, even if it is true, then it is evil. By it's own claim that I, as a descendant of the ones who gave us the knowledge of good and evil, know what good and evil are.”

I don’t understand your comment.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:The desires

eXnihilO wrote:

The desires of a person’s heart are evil by nature. 

I guess that always bugged me too...it is pretty screwed up to raise children and tell them they are corrupt and evil by nature.  Telling children they are scum without <x> deity is wrong.  Without God people behave just like other people.  Morality is more about culture and society than anything objective, and that seems fairly obvious just by studying societies.  Like how sexual tendencies that every animal on the planet show...when a dog acts according to its nature it is natural, but when a human acts according to his nature it is 'evil'.

What always gets me is how people claim they live by the objective moral values of an orthodox Jew (Jesus), but they resemble nothing of the sort.  Morality and religion bend to follow culture, not the other way around.  I do appreciate the Fundamentalist Christian attitude though, that says everyone is wrong but Jesus can fix anything.  Sort of a theologically unfalsifiable trump card that lets them do whatever they want and make let their religion change along with a culture, all the while claiming to understand "Truth" at any point in time, even though "Truth" changes just like everything else.

Unless some sanity takes over, two hundred years from now my decedents will be having an argument with his descendants and both sides will be taking positions that modern people (theists and atheists) will think are "wrong", because they know the "Truth".  I wish you could send fundies back to a couple thousand years and watch see how the church likes the current interpretation of God and Jesus.  It is just another consequence of thinking you have a built in conduit to a God in your head.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:      I

eXnihilO wrote:

I appreciate your humble candor, it is quite refreshing!

That's good.  Although I possess an opposing viewpoint it isn't my desire to belittle you. I prefer amicable relations whenever possible.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Look it's obvious that

eXnihilO wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I believe I know what morality is and dress it up as you will, morality is about not doing harm to others. I believe you understand morality perfectly well and I want you to tell me whether or not the actions of your god sit so comfortably with you that you would agree to be the instrument of god's perfect justice. I want to know if you would disobey your god (which is what I believe you would do) or if you would undertake to kill for him, given he is perfectly just.

I'm not trying to dodge your question, and I'm not one to make excuses for the behavior of God as many do. All that God does is morally perfect. I will commit to answering you question, with a better answer than simply yes or no...

But before I allow to morally judge the Agent by which we are both observing morality to begin with, I will need your explanation of morality. You don't believe that moral evil boils down to simply doing harm to others and I think I can prove that.

Would it be morally wrong for your employer to commit to pay you $12 per hour and then once you get your paycheck change it to $6?

Would it be morally wrong to race ahead of an old lady on a walker to take her seat on the bus?

Please clarify your meaning of moral good and evil.

forcing an old lady to stand on a bus instead of allowing her to sit constitutes harm. As does ripping off an employee who is then unable to pay rent, or feed his kids or take his wife out for dinner.

I'm simplifying harm to make it easier to talk about it not to undermine it. We most of us have a competent moral compass after all. I've always thought that you learn to do good as you experience harm.

Knowing how bad something feels governs your behaviour doesn't it? It does mine. In the same way, doing good things, not only is good, it feels good. It's a fact that giving to others leads to a massive

oxytocin high in the human brain. Why would positive physiological reinforcement of positive social contributions be part of the human body if we were inherently evil and immoral?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Why

Atheistextremist wrote:

Why would positive physiological reinforcement of positive social contributions be part of the human body if we were inherently evil and immoral?

I think the fact that clinical psychopaths exist is good evidence against objective morality, for similar reasons...because when you take those physiological reinforcements away you get 'bad' behavior.  If morality were really 'written in our hearts' I don't think that would be the case.  A similar argument works for the existence of a soul, as long as the theist defines soul as consciousness.  (They can always give it a meaning so soft that it cannot be falsified)

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote: 

eXnihilO wrote:

People present different positions on the Bible, but I think some are more honest than others. The best way is to study it yourself without any motives to 'see' one thing or another. We are all broken radios my friend. God is sending a perfect signal, but some of the broken radios distort the signal if you know what I mean.

Thank you for your reply.  If Christians cannot in truth abandon their faith I believe the word "apostasy" is too strong of a word.   And to those whose faith was never genuine to begin with, what is it that they are actually abandoning or apostasicing from ?

I know I'm dealing in semantics but to me it's similar to "divorcing" someone that you were never actually married to.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

forcing an old lady to stand on a bus instead of allowing her to sit constitutes harm. As does ripping off an employee who is then unable to pay rent, or feed his kids or take his wife out for dinner.

I'm simplifying harm to make it easier to talk about it not to undermine it. We most of us have a competent moral compass after all. I've always thought that you learn to do good as you experience harm.

Knowing how bad something feels governs your behaviour doesn't it? It does mine. In the same way, doing good things, not only is good, it feels good. It's a fact that giving to others leads to a massive

oxytocin high in the human brain. Why would positive physiological reinforcement of positive social contributions be part of the human body if we were inherently evil and immoral?

Why is harm 'bad?'

So we aren't talking about only physical harm then?

It feels good to serial rapists when they are in the moment, does that make rape 'good?'

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

If Christians cannot in truth abandon their faith I believe the word "apostasy" is too strong of a word.   And to those whose faith was never genuine to begin with, what is it that they are actually abandoning or apostasicing from ?

I think Apostacy is one of the worst sins a person can commit, so whatever we say, it's awful.

I think the difference is if we rename rape 'cookies and milk' -- whatever we say to describe the act doesn't change just how awful it really it.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

If Christians cannot in truth abandon their faith I believe the word "apostasy" is too strong of a word.   And to those whose faith was never genuine to begin with, what is it that they are actually abandoning or apostasicing from ?

I think Apostacy is one of the worst sins a person can commit, so whatever we say, it's awful.

I think the difference is if we rename rape 'cookies and milk' -- whatever we say to describe the act doesn't change just how awful it really it.

Apostasy is the most courageous thing one can do, breaking free of the mental shackles of religious thought to the higher truths about the nature of reality, transcending the blinkered vision where all that can be accepted as truth is contained within the words which can be inscribed within the all-too-finite pages of a 'holy book'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Why is harm 'bad?'

So we aren't talking about only physical harm then?

It feels good to serial rapists when they are in the moment, does that make rape 'good?'

Don't be dense.  Harm is about both the individual and the society.  Hedonism is a bit more nuanced than "do whatever feels good right this second".  If that were the case we would all die of drug overdose.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
bob.

BobSpence1 wrote:

"...transcending the blinkered vision where all that can be accepted as truth is contained within the words which can be inscribed within the all-too-finite pages of a 'holy book'."

Unless you are dealing with an 'extremely-fundamental-king-james-only' kind of Christian, you are simply misrepresenting us, and know that you know please refrain. I don't even know that the KJV onlyists view the Bible in the way you mentioned. It has nothing to do with finite words on finite pages; it's the metaphysical message that the words convey that is of so much value.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

Don't be dense.  Harm is about both the individual and the society.  Hedonism is a bit more nuanced than "do whatever feels good right this second".  If that were the case we would all die of drug overdose.

You're only accusing me of density because I'm appealing to and re-exposing you to God's standard of morality, the objective standard that we both agree exists in which our conscience testifies to.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:mellestad

eXnihilO wrote:

mellestad wrote:

You're only accusing me of density because I'm appealing to and re-exposing you to God's standard of morality, the objective standard that we both agree exists in which our conscience testifies to.

I really wish you could rise above flat assertion every time you talk about God or the Bible.

Humans have empathy, and the application of this to the individual and society is called morality.  The fact that it so often fails, even in the Bible, is low hanging fruit when showing that objective morality does not exist.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:BobSpence1

eXnihilO wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

"...transcending the blinkered vision where all that can be accepted as truth is contained within the words which can be inscribed within the all-too-finite pages of a 'holy book'."

Unless you are dealing with an 'extremely-fundamental-king-james-only' kind of Christian, you are simply misrepresenting us, and know that you know please refrain. I don't even know that the KJV onlyists view the Bible in the way you mentioned. It has nothing to do with finite words on finite pages; it's the metaphysical message that the words convey that is of so much value.

The Bible, any version, contains the often confused and conflicting accounts of a bunch of writers a few thousand years ago, about events that seemed significant to them at the time, and thoughts and personal experiences that they also felt were important.

As with any such collection of writings, some parts may strongly resonate with you, and seem especially significant.

Your words in these forums indicate you are deeply entranced by some version of the Christian Myth, to the extent that you appear to be unable to conceive that you may be deeply mistaken about Reality, about Truth.

That bit about Apostasy was a little surprising, I associated such thoughts mainly with Islam. It is psychologically understandable, for someone who has bought into the delusion so deeply, that seeing someone who appeared to have also accepted  it, renounce it, would sow the seeds of doubt, and either help the scales fall from their own eyes, our cause them to dig in deeper and feel anger at the apostate.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Humans have

mellestad wrote:

Humans have empathy, and the application of this to the individual and society is called morality.  The fact that it so often fails, even in the Bible, is low hanging fruit when showing that objective morality does not exist.

I guess you've ignored the fact that it doesn't fail.

Empathy does not explain morality... A serial rapist can identify with what his victim is going through, and it doesn't phase him... nor does he think what he is doing is wrong. Read this quote, just to get an idea of Godless systems of morality:

‘If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what’s the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges? That’s how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing…’

Jeffrey Dahmer, in an interview with Stone Phillips, Dateline NBC, Nov. 29, 1994.

BobSpence1 wrote:

That bit about Apostasy was a little surprising, I associated such thoughts mainly with Islam... and feel anger at the apostate.

The only difference is that the actual word of God doesn't command the death of infidels and apostates 16 times... but who's countin'? We're all still crazy right.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any moral guidelines can

Any moral guidelines can fail in individual cases, and the psychopathic individual is one of the more obvious examples where the innate sense of morality fails. The very fact that someone like Dahmer is a 'celebrated' special case demonstrates that our innate senses actually work well most of the time, which is all one can hope for, unless we completely eliminate individuality.

Religious pogroms and burnings-at-the-stake are examples of how whole belief-systems, allegedly based on 'love' and 'forgiveness', can go off the rails. Surrendering to any over-arching dogma which overrides or perverts our innate feelings is very dangerous, as both religious wars and Hitler/Stalin/Pol-Pot demonstrate. It allows the inevitable failures to have far more drastic consequences than individual mis-fires like Dahma.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:mellestad

eXnihilO wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I guess you've ignored the fact that it doesn't fail.

Empathy does not explain morality... A serial rapist can identify with what his victim is going through, and it doesn't phase him... nor does he think what he is doing is wrong. Read this quote, just to get an idea of Godless systems of morality:

‘If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what’s the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges? That’s how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing…’

Jeffrey Dahmer, in an interview with Stone Phillips, Dateline NBC, Nov. 29, 1994.

Did you ignore what I wrote?  This is my point exactly, the guy did not have any empathy for fellow humans.  He could kill someone and it brought him pleasure (Although I imagine plenty of non psychotics can get pleasure from killing, that by itself is not 'evil', it depends on circumstance.)

Empathy is not about knowing what another human goes through intellectually, it is about knowing and even feeling what they are going through emotionally.  Your post misses the point entirely.  Being psychotic has nothing to do with religion or atheism, it is about lacking the capacity for meaningful empathy.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Bob is perfectly right

BobSpence1 wrote:

Any moral guidelines can fail in individual cases, and the psychopathic individual is one of the more obvious examples where the innate sense of morality fails. The very fact that someone like Dahmer is a 'celebrated' special case demonstrates that our innate senses actually work well most of the time, which is all one can hope for, unless we completely eliminate individuality.

Religious pogroms and burnings-at-the-stake are examples of how whole belief-systems, allegedly based on 'love' and 'forgiveness', can go off the rails. Surrendering to any over-arching dogma which overrides or perverts our innate feelings is very dangerous, as both religious wars and Hitler/Stalin/Pol-Pot demonstrate. It allows the inevitable failures to have far more drastic consequences than individual mis-fires like Dahma.

Dahmer was a psychopath who was devoid of empathy. Guys like Dahmer and society's fierce and instinctive reaction against them are powerful proofs against your position that there is no morality but the word of god.

I seem to keep arguing this point with you on various threads with you insisting humans are the lowest of all scum, incapable of any good - vile and debased, and me pointing out that a society based on no values cannot stand.

The veracity of my case towers all around you in the cities of the world.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 'Word of God' is the

The 'Word of God' is the opposite of true morality.

It is simply the demand of unquestioning obedience to a set of handed-down rules or laws.

Whereas morality is about basing ones decisions on empathy and the assumption that others generally experience things as we do, so that what we find hurtful and offensive will tend to be shared by others, and that it is to our own advantage and comfort to maintain positive relationships with others in our group, who may be in a position to return favours and even just the joys of companionship.

We have even identified the parts of the brain that facilitate this process of modelling and 'mirroring' others' response to ourselves and our actions.

Tell me, exNihilo, are you really such a dogmatic and illogical douche, or some sort of troll having 'fun' with us??

Your persistent refusal to present a serious, logical justification for your naked assertions about God, Logic, etc is long past 'tiresome'....

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Apostasy

BobSpence1 wrote:

Apostasy is the most courageous thing one can do, breaking free of the mental shackles of religious thought to the higher truths about the nature of reality, transcending the blinkered vision where all that can be accepted as truth is contained within the words which can be inscribed within the all-too-finite pages of a 'holy book'.

As a former believer and church goer I have to agree with bob. My deconversion was much more profound and real than my conversion.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I've been meaning to ask you this

eXnihilO wrote:

eXni. As a believer and given humans can do no good until they are bathed is jesus' perfect blood, are you now intrinsically a better, kinder and nicer person than we atheists are?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The best of modern secular

The best of modern secular morality is way better than God's standard - we no longer accept rape, torture, slavery, the status of woman as little better than property, and so on. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:The only

eXnihilO wrote:

The only difference is that the actual word of God doesn't command the death of infidels and apostates 16 times...

So infidels and apostates have nothing to fear from God ?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"If you are unwillingly to

"If you are unwillingly to admit that raping children for fun is wrong for all people in all places at all times then I think you may have frontal lobe damage."

I personally would consider it wrong. That doesn't mean it is absolutely wrong. It just means I consider it wrong.
We have already established that you don't think rationally, so your beliefs about my state of mind are irrelevant. Though I'll point out that your brief mention of a scientific fact (frontal lobe) is an admission to the falsity of your god.

"Feel free to unpack this; it seemed like an incomplete thought."

Just goes to show you aren't thinking it through.

"Ironic, considering your previous denial of perfection…"

Losing yourself in semantics doesn't help your argument.

"The desires of a person’s heart are evil by nature."

A lie. My desires are to live an enjoyable life, causing as little harm to others as I can, and to help people free themselves of their thought chains. Be those chains religious or political. That's not evil.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"When a non-believer does

"When a non-believer does anything with the appearance of ‘good’ God is working in them to bring about blessing to someone."

Ridiculous.

"Emotional guilt is irrelevant."

I'm not speaking of guilt, I'm speaking of my knowledge of good and evil.

"You can live a life of sin and never feel bad about it, but you still know it’s wrong. I don’t think all murderers feel badly about what they do, but they all know it’s wrong."

Then where is the knowledge of good and evil? You cannot refer to the bible for this question. For thousands of years, in your delusional version of reality, man had this knowledge without the bible. So where is it if not emotion?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The first part is your

"The first part is your conscience testifying to God’s law."

So then emotion IS how I know.

"The second is your opinion. God sees stealing as stealing. If you steal and apple to eat or you rob a bank, you are still a thief."

You contradict yourself. Either I know or I don't. Make up your mind.

"Unless of course God directs history and preserves His truth…"

And what if he doesn't? Does your bible say that he does? Or does your bible say that there is a trickster that tries to take people from god? Would not the ultimate victory of that trickster be pollution of the very word of god? Has god not tested others in similar fashion? Your answer is lacking.

"I don’t understand your comment."

Fine, I'll go slow. Do we have knowledge of good and evil apart from the bible?

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Religious pogroms and burnings-at-the-stake are examples of how whole belief-systems, allegedly based on 'love' and 'forgiveness', can go off the rails.

It allows the inevitable failures to have far more drastic consequences than individual mis-fires like Dahma.
Tell me, exNihilo, are you really such a dogmatic and illogical douche, or some sort of troll having 'fun' with us??
The best of modern secular morality is way better than God's standard - we no longer accept rape, torture, slavery, the status of woman as little better than property, and so on.

I've corrected you already, but I challenge you to find justification for burring witches at the stake within the Scriptures since it appears to be a hot button with you... Jesus said to love your enemies, end of story... You are aligning me with the Roman Catholic heresy which falsely established primacy and theocracy... it's not fair to do so. I might as well put you and Stalin in the same category for your moral dependency.

As for a mis-fire, I think the list of mis-fires I provided is more than enough to outweigh a hundred fold any 'threat' that Christianity has ever posted...

I’m not sure what a troll is… And I simply believe what the Bible teaches.

Abortion is murder and Christians have been the leading proponents of liberation from slavery, women’s rights, etc.

@Atheistextremist

eXni. As a believer and given humans can do no good until they are bathed is jesus' perfect blood, are you now intrinsically a better, kinder and nicer person than we atheists are?

-- Eternally speaking, at this current moment, in the eyes of the God who bought me, absolutely. That is not to say that I was born any different than you or that I brought anything more to the table then you do right now, in fact I probably had less to offer God than most of you. But the fact that He has drawn me to Himself and granted me the gift of faith makes me more important to Him than you are… which is how value is determined in my eyes.

@Prozac

“So infidels and apostates have nothing to fear from God ?”

You certainly do… just not from Christians.

@Vastet

I ran out of time… I’ll get to you soon I hope.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:BobSpence1

eXnihilO wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Religious pogroms and burnings-at-the-stake are examples of how whole belief-systems, allegedly based on 'love' and 'forgiveness', can go off the rails.

It allows the inevitable failures to have far more drastic consequences than individual mis-fires like Dahma.

I've corrected you already, but I challenge you to find justification for burring witches at the stake within the Scriptures since it appears to be a hot button with you... Jesus said to love your enemies, end of story... You are aligning me with the Roman Catholic heresy which falsely established primacy and theocracy... it's not fair to do so. I might as well put you and Stalin in the same category for your moral dependency.

Exodus 22:18 is the usual reference which is assumed to justify witch-burning: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." (KJV).

I am pretty sure there is far more in common between your beliefs and the RCC than between me and Stalin -  there is not even the equivalent of a shared 'scripture' among non-believers. Stalin is the sort of person that a religious education can generate - he received a scholarship to a seminary, did well, but was expelled after failing to keep up with the fees. So he shared more with the priests than with me.

Quote:

As for a mis-fire, I think the list of mis-fires I provided is more than enough to outweigh a hundred fold any 'threat' that Christianity has ever posted...

I’m not sure what a troll is… And I simply believe what the Bible teaches.

Abortion is murder and Christians have been the leading proponents of liberation from slavery, women’s rights, etc.

Ok you are probably not a troll, someone deliberately trying to get us annoyed or angry, just for fun, than genuinely arguing their position. I was almost giving you a positive assessment, in that I find it sad that someone of actual intelligence could really display such primitive beliefs.

But the fight against slavery as an evil is not at all supported by scripture, the campaigners went beyond the inadequate moral code of the Bible.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

@Prozac

“So infidels and apostates have nothing to fear from God ?”

You certainly do… just not from Christians.

Hello eX. Thank you for your reply.  If I may switch gears with you for a moment, over on the thread titled "Questions about God..theists answer these!" we have encountered the statistical equivalent of winning the lottery, ... a new forum member who professes the Jewish faith.  A rare jewel on this atheist forum.

His user name is FurryCatHerder.  If you feel like it, go over and probe him theologically and say hello.  He's highly intelligent and very opinionated.  No sarcasm intended but since according to you our atheist logic is a major fail   it might be interesting to see how your theistic logic squares with his equally formidable, theistic logic.

It might be fun. 

Ciao!

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

@Vastet: reloaded

“I personally would consider it wrong. That doesn't mean it is absolutely wrong. It just means I consider it wrong.”

How is it fair for us to prosecute members of our own species just for acting upon their natural desires? They were born that way; they are just a bag of chemicals fizzing differently than us… What injustice. I appreciate the appeal to objective morality, yet sad at your stubborn refusal of giving due credit.

”God, writing through Paul” wrote:

“But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.

I’m not at liberty to apply this entire indictment to your character, nor do I believe you to be in violation of them all at the present moment, but the last part is fitting.

Losing yourself in semantics doesn't help your argument.

Let’s give objective contextual quoting a round of applause… welcome to the semantic domain!

“My desires are to live an enjoyable life, causing as little harm to others as I can, and to help people free themselves of their thought chains. Be those chains religious or political. That's not evil.”

You’re definitely Canadian J - You’re causing me harm too… and you seek to steal the freedom I have in Christ. The song Amazing Grace has this line “my chains are gone, I’ve been set free” The irony is that you have actually tightened the fetters around your ankles and continue to dig your grave deeper every day… you are deceived my friend.

“I'm not speaking of guilt, I'm speaking of my knowledge of good and evil.”

That’s your God given conscience knocking…

“Then where is the knowledge of good and evil? You cannot refer to the bible for this question. For thousands of years, in your delusional version of reality, man had this knowledge without the bible. So where is it if not emotion?”

I think you give emotion more credit that deserved. The knowledge of good and evil is something that Adam and Eve gained when they fell by eating of the tree of good and evil. As a result, we have all inherited their sin and are born in a depraved state of existence. The Bible refers to this is being dead spiritually. We cannot please God no matter what we do, and when God chooses to work things appearing to be good through these people it is an act of grace as all good comes from God, furthermore the deeds are viewed as filthy rags as we are worse off after we do them because we have not sought to please God through our good deeds. The situation is so utterly hopeless without the righteousness we gain from our faith in Christ who was God in the flesh, fulfilling the law perfectly, something we could not do ourselves.

“And what if he doesn't? Does your bible say that he does? Or does your bible say that there is a trickster that tries to take people from god? Would not the ultimate victory of that trickster be pollution of the very word of god? Has god not tested others in similar fashion? Your answer is lacking.”

You’re presupposing my worldview to argue against me… again. The transmission of God’s revelation (the Bible) has had many attacks made on it, but the Word lives on. I suppose if no attacks were made on it the manuscript evidence would be even better than it is now… what an amazing idea. Thanks for the encouraging thoughts.

“Do we have knowledge of good and evil apart from the bible?”

God’s law, which gives the standard of moral perfection, has been written on our hearts since Jesus, so in a way yes. The problem is that man is so darkened in his thinking that we make a good show to avoid this reality. Some better than others, but it remains true for all people.

@BobSpence1

Exodus 22:18 is the usual reference which is assumed to justify witch-burning: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." (KJV).”

I don’t deny that crazy men have used this to justify a witch-burning, of which we have less than 30 cases by the way. Most arose over obvious political strife, but nevertheless. Do you understand covenant theology Bob? It makes every bit of difference. It is the very thing that places this verse into a very specific context and condemns any killing of witches since the new covenant. Had I misinterpreted this Scripture as badly as you I might have been in jail long ago… phew, close one. J

“I am pretty sure there is far more in common between your beliefs and the RCC than between me and Stalin -  there is not even the equivalent of a shared 'scripture' among non-believers. Stalin is the sort of person that a religious education can generate - he received a scholarship to a seminary, did well, but was expelled after failing to keep up with the fees. So he shared more with the priests than with me.”

The RCC and Protestants really only have the Trinity in common, most else is an issue of fundamental divergence…

In fact, you and I may have more in common than myself and a priest…

“Ok you are probably not a troll, someone deliberately trying to get us annoyed or angry, just for fun, than genuinely arguing their position. I was almost giving you a positive assessment, in that I find it sad that someone of actual intelligence could really display such primitive beliefs.”

Amen. Troll free since 93’ – The Gospel of Jesus has always been offensive though Bob… I sure hated it once… I thank God for changing my desires though! There are significantly smarter Christians and atheists than myself; I just stand my ground the best I can… Either a middle-eastern peasant was God or He wasn’t. As CS Lewis called it: ‘the one true myth.’

“But the fight against slavery as an evil is not at all supported by scripture, the campaigners went beyond the inadequate moral code of the Bible.”

Tell William Wilberforce that… The Bible states an obvious case for the equality of all people… just consider the ministry of our Lord… He was a rabbi who allowed women to follow, in direct conflict of rabbinic tradition… the entire Gospel of Luke places an emphasis on including the sick, poor, people who were the target of prejudice and more. Paul told slaves to remain where they were unless the opportunity to be free presented itself because otherwise Christianity would be inherent contradictory. We are told to obey our authorities be it husbands, bosses, governments, whatever. I can see it know… Christianity: the faith that demands social and economical revolt anywhere it goes. There have been Christian slaves that were probably more happy about life on a daily basis than either of us are… it’s the supernatural comfort and peace of knowing your Creator.

@Prozac

I’ll take a look.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"How is it fair for us to

"How is it fair for us to prosecute members of our own species just for acting upon their natural desires? They were born that way; they are just a bag of chemicals fizzing differently than us… What injustice. I appreciate the appeal to objective morality, yet sad at your stubborn refusal of giving due credit."

It's self defense. It isn't required to be fair. Though I'd be among the first to condemn current practices, and look for ways to help people instead of locking them in a cell for years on end.

"I’m not at liberty to apply this entire indictment to your character, nor do I believe you to be in violation of them all at the present moment, but the last part is fitting."

You're misrepresenting my claim of godhood. I don't claim to be able to do more than any animal of our species can do. I just claim control of my own destiny, and responsibility for it. I claim that everyone has this capacity, if only they reach out and take it.

"You’re definitely Canadian J- ~ you are deceived my friend."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't believe you have

I don't believe you have freedom in christ. I believe you think you do, but I don't believe you do. I believe you have been conditioned by others or yourself, or a combination of the two, to accept logic except when applied to your god, and the religion built up around it.
I'll also point out that you came here. I didn't go to you. I'm very aggressive against religion, but only when it presents itself. I don't go looking for it.

"I think you give emotion more credit that deserved. ~ something we could not do ourselves."

No matter how I try, I cannot make sense of this. How does mere knowledge of evil equal evil? How can a goodly god allow for innocent descendants to be so tainted? If I were your god, and felt it necessary to give my creation a chance to curse themselves, I would give them ALL that chance. I wouldn't make it necessary to pass on such a curse through blood. I would consider it evil to condemn the unborn to evil without even having the choice to be good.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"You’re presupposing my

"You’re presupposing my worldview to argue against me… again."

You won't accept arguments from any other source, so I have little choice in the matter.

"God’s law, which gives the standard of moral perfection, has been written on our hearts since Jesus, so in a way yes. The problem is that man is so darkened in his thinking that we make a good show to avoid this reality. Some better than others, but it remains true for all people."

I find that incredibly nebulous. We do, but we desire to hide it from ourselves. Why would we desire to deceive ourselves? Especially on such a critical issue? And please don't try to claim that we enjoy it, I don't enjoy doing things that are wrong. I might get a thrill based on release of fear for getting away with something, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed doing the wrong in the first place. Quite the opposite. Most people experience stress and emotional discord when doing something they know is wrong. They don't enjoy it, unless they're a sociopath.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Eternally speaking?

eXnihilO wrote:

@Atheistextremist

-- Eternally speaking, at this current moment, in the eyes of the God who bought me, absolutely. That is not to say that I was born any different than you or that I brought anything more to the table then you do right now, in fact I probably had less to offer God than most of you. But the fact that He has drawn me to Himself and granted me the gift of faith makes me more important to Him than you are… which is how value is determined in my eyes.

What I meant was just in terms of good old day to day decency and niceness. Are you, right now, in terms of your behaviour, nicer and kinder and gentler and possessed of greater integrity than we are or are you just some guy who says sorry to god a lot?

Also, why does god insist that it's faith and not works that get you in the door? Why are works somehow devalued in the eyes of god?

We'd generally agree in the context of a relationship that love is what you do, not what you say. Why does god appear not to value natural goodness but instead insists on rampant grovelling and beseeching?

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

@Vastet

“It's self defense. It isn't required to be fair. Though I'd be among the first to condemn current practices, and look for ways to help people instead of locking them in a cell for years on end.”

The problem is that there is no way to draw the lines without the Bible. If you prosecute the murderer then it is no longer self and you have moved into preeminent justice on the idea that it is likely this man could do to you what they have done to others… and if you go there we should systematically eradicate people on the basis that they are statistically more likely to commit the ever evasive definition of ‘unnecessary harm.’ Maybe we should start with people who appear to be gang members and then move on to people who have Mohawks… we can flip a coin to stop he rampage eventually whenever we feel like the threats have been neutralized.

“I don't believe you have freedom in christ. I believe you think you do, but I don't believe you do. I believe you have been conditioned by others or yourself, or a combination of the two, to accept logic except when applied to your god, and the religion built up around it.

I'll also point out that you came here. I didn't go to you. I'm very aggressive against religion, but only when it presents itself. I don't go looking for it.”

My point was that you attacked me at every point you claimed wanting to forego as a moral person… And I dare say you went looking for a fight just by signing up here, it doesn’t take much to realize what this forum is used for.

Atheists fight Christians out of spite for their creator, nothing else. Christianity only poses good for communities, not bad. If you actually read the Bible you would know this… it has always been morally revolutionary wherever it goes, just look at Papua New Guinea and the cessation of cannibalism… Until people hear that God has expectations they tend to eat each other… fits well with my worldview.

“No matter how I try, I cannot make sense of this. How does mere knowledge of evil equal evil? How can a goodly god allow for innocent descendants to be so tainted? If I were your god, and felt it necessary to give my creation a chance to curse themselves, I would give them ALL that chance. I wouldn't make it necessary to pass on such a curse through blood. I would consider it evil to condemn the unborn to evil without even having the choice to be good.”

Maybe its Bible study time J Adam and Eve were unique in some ways. They were morally neutral, they could choose to obey or disobey God and their volition was not in bondage to sin… yet. God commanded them to not eat of the fruit of a specific tree, that was a direct command. The expectations of God as well as the punishment for disobedience was laid out clearly, but when Satan deceived Eve by doing what you are asking me to do quite regularly, that is ‘Surely God didn’t say this or that…’ Satan, like many atheists undermined the word of God and as a result, man fell.

God has certain attributes that couldn’t have been revealed to us unless the fall happened. Mercy, grace, patience, and justice to name a few. We could not experience God’s character as much as we can with sin in the world. If we had an eternal perspective we might see this more fully.

“We do, but we desire to hide it from ourselves. Why would we desire to deceive ourselves? Especially on such a critical issue? And please don't try to claim that we enjoy it, I don't enjoy doing things that are wrong. I might get a thrill based on release of fear for getting away with something, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed doing the wrong in the first place. Quite the opposite. Most people experience stress and emotional discord when doing something they know is wrong. They don't enjoy it, unless they're a sociopath.”

The fact that we are born in sin and a slave to it dictates much of our desires. We enjoy this deception because it allows us the mirage of freedom that we want but don’t really have. Your making progress if you acknowledge this as wrong, as it really is of no physical harm to anyone… I think you have a decent moral compass by the grace of God. My brother in law is a great guy, upstanding, loves his family, etc… the problem is that the scales of eternity are not swayed but any good that we do… only if we put on the righteousness of Christ will any of it matter. When God looks to a non-believer He sees a sinful soul, plagued by evil even for those who appear to be ‘good’ on the outset because without faith its impossible to please God… but when He looks at someone who has accepted the work of Christ and made Him Lord of their life God sees that righteousness of Jesus that we could have never obtained in place of our own… this is what is meant of being covered by the blood of Jesus. On the day of judgment, we might very well stand shoulder to shoulder you and I, but when the wrath of God is poured out, there will be a shield of faith and the righteousness of Christ that covers those of us who although we deserved the same, we have truly been set free.

@Atheistextremeist

“What I meant was just in terms of good old day to day decency and niceness. Are you, right now, in terms of your behaviour, nicer and kinder and gentler and possessed of greater integrity than we are or are you just some guy who says sorry to god a lot?”

I do say sorry for God a lot, but it’s because I recognize that I can spend my whole day feeding the poor and still sin the whole time because I could be taking the credit… Sin is deep, there is not a day that goes by that Christians do not sin against God… The Bible says that if you claim to be without sin you are a liar… Just something to keep in mind as you encounter these perfectionist Christians.

“Also, why does god insist that it's faith and not works that get you in the door? Why are works somehow devalued in the eyes of god?”

I think it’s because faith places a greater dependency on God whereas most people (such as Catholics, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, Muslims, et al.) work as though they can earn something from God. Make no mistake about it, we Christians are expected to work, but the works that we do are a result of being saved, not an effort to become saved.

When people try to earn a good standing before God they pretty much say to Him that the greatest gift of all time, the gift of salvation is something they would rather pay for… imagine saving up for three years just to buy your wife a necklace and when she gets it the first thing she asks is how much did it cost and when can I start paying you back? After telling her she doesn’t have to, she continues to slip money in your wallet… it’s disrespectful and it is an attempt to steal value from the gift when all is said and done.

“We'd generally agree in the context of a relationship that love is what you do, not what you say. Why does god appear not to value natural goodness but instead insists on rampant grovelling and beseeching?”

God does value natural goodness; the problem is that none of us is naturally good in His sight. Unless we do our good deeds with the motivation to please God we have taken His glory for ourselves, God tells us that without faith it is impossible to please Him…

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

@Vastet

“It's self defense. It isn't required to be fair. Though I'd be among the first to condemn current practices, and look for ways to help people instead of locking them in a cell for years on end.”

The problem is that there is no way to draw the lines without the Bible. If you prosecute the murderer then it is no longer self and you have moved into preeminent justice on the idea that it is likely this man could do to you what they have done to others… and if you go there we should systematically eradicate people on the basis that they are statistically more likely to commit the ever evasive definition of ‘unnecessary harm.’ Maybe we should start with people who appear to be gang members and then move on to people who have Mohawks… we can flip a coin to stop he rampage eventually whenever we feel like the threats have been neutralized.

This already happens, even with Christians.  Again, even Jesus would be considered an ultra orthodox Jew in the modern world, but none of you live like him and follow the rules and morality he would have.  You ignore the fact that morality is, and always has been, secular...which is why it changes over time.  If there were *any* kind of objective morality I would expect some level of continuance within human history, but the only moral laws that tend to apply universally are those necessary for a society to exist, like prohibitions against murder.  Our world view makes far more sense than yours...ours matches observable reality and history, yours has you plugging your ears and burying your head in the sand.

Again, this (and your whole post) is nothing more than another example of how you have so much pride in yourself you think your mind is the ultimate arbiter of universal reality, through the way you interpret an old book.  It blows my mind how you can be so arrogant to assume that your unique interpretation of this book is the "right" one, and even that the book has some special significance just because that is what you latched on to in your life.  The sheer, unabashed ego staggers me.  People like you are the reason many atheists think religion is a mental disease...you are willing to ignore reality for the sake of today's delusion.  When people like you become unbalanced, they blow up abortion clinics.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The problem is that there

"The problem is that there is no way to draw the lines without the Bible."

Sure there is, a system of law which the society agrees with. We might not quite be there yet, but thanks to the French revolution we're closer than we ever were before.

"If you prosecute the murderer then it is no longer selfand you have moved into preeminent justice on the idea that it is likely this man could do to you what they have done to others…"

I see the potential for a side topic here. Frankly, I'm not in favour of punishment for crimes. Studies in psychology suggest, if not flat out prove, that the effects of negative reinforcement are negligible at best. It is far more effective to reward good behaviour than it is to punish bad behaviour. Much of the current system of justice is based upon vengeance, which simply circles back upon itself. It gets even worse when taking into consideration those who have a mental handicap of any kind, and simply can't understand the consequences of their actions.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"My point was that you

"My point was that you attacked me at every point you claimed wanting to forego as a moral person… "

Can you please rephrase this? I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

"And I dare say you went looking for a fight just by signing up here, it doesn’t take much to realize what this forum is used for."

When I signed up here, I didn't realise this site was a theist magnet. I figured I'd use it for friendly discussion with other atheists, and maybe learn some things to utilise when theists attacked my atheism on gaming and other forums. It was certainly not my intent to join just to fight theism. Here's my first post, demonstrating exactly that: http://www.rationalresponders.com/intro

"Atheists fight Christians out of spite for their creator, nothing else. Christianity only poses good for communities, not bad."

That's simply not true. I fight christians, and other theists (but that's a different topic), because they try to force their beliefs on others, with dispicable tactics.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
In Africa, people get help

In Africa, people get help from christians only if they partake in a christian education. The same happens everywhere. There is no charity for the sake of charity. It is indoctrination of the highest order. Only scientology is more insidious.
Also in Africa, christians spread the false belief that condoms cannot prevent AIDS, exacerbating the epidemic. They attempt to instil a methodology of abstinence, which simply does not work, and never has. We're biologically compelled to have sex. Fighting that biology is unhealthy, and can result in the kind of sexual deviance recently seen throughout the christian priesthood.
Christians blow up doctors offices and drown their own children (not all of them of course, not even most of them, but enough of them).
And then I look at the unintended horrors of missionary work in North America, and the conclusion is obvious: Even when christians honestly attempt to help people, they only spread suffering.