What about vegetarian burgers?

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
What about vegetarian burgers?

Look, there are vegetarian burgers, I'm told!
Would you go for them [in a dietary crisis, that is]?
No meat, no eggs, no oil, no sauce, no chips, no nothing
except real veggies and some meat imitation...
Is it that disgusting, really?

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for explaining

Thanks for explaining it, Jormungander.

Man, am I not more scared here than before!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's impossible to eliminate

it's impossible to eliminate rodent droppings and insects from food.  a lot of this stuff gets in at the farm level.  it's a rule of thumb, for example, that all barns have rats.  i don't care if you have a dozen barn cats, they can't get them all, and even if they do the cats just piss and shit where the rats and mice used to: in the animal feed, in the grain stored for human consumption, even in the tobacco.  not to mention the fact that if you have a vegetable garden, unless you spray the holy fuck out of it with ddt, you're going to eat worms.  you're going to cook them into your vegetable soup.  it happens.  there are many times i've found half an inchworm in a carrot.  guess what?  i shrugged and finished the carrot.  and just what the hell does a typical gardener use for fertilizer?  i've shovelled so much cowshit onto gardens in my time i'm totally desensitized to the smell.  and i'm not talking about the faintly sweet, grassy smell that wafts over the pastures, which is nostalgic for every farmboy: when you have a cart with a five foot-high mound of it, it's nothing but eye-stinging ammonia fumes.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a meatatarian. Kind of

I'm a meatatarian. Kind of hard to be in the bodybuilding thing without meat. But I will say, that spicy black bean burgers are delicious. Have to double them up to make them satisfying, but the flavor is to savor.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
If it doesnt bleed... its

If it doesnt bleed... its not food

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: If it

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Well, maybe you're right. The trouble is what is ADDED to the stuff after it bleeds.
Burgers have more than 50% of added matter, I'm told. Maybe it is more than that! I heard that even the wrapping paper or plastic the burgers come nicely packed in is toxic and/or dangerous somehow.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

julio wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Well, maybe you're right. The trouble is what is ADDED to the stuff after it bleeds. Burgers have more than 50% of added matter, I'm told. Maybe it is more than that! I heard that even the wrapping paper or plastic the burgers come nicely packed in is toxic and/or dangerous somehow.

If you wrap tin foil around your head you can tell which not to buy when you go shopping. Also, everyone will respect you for your wise buying habits.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote: Well, maybe

julio wrote:

Well, maybe you're right. The trouble is what is ADDED to the stuff after it bleeds. Burgers have more than 50% of added matter, I'm told. Maybe it is more than that! I heard that even the wrapping paper or plastic the burgers come nicely packed in is toxic and/or dangerous somehow.

Agreed.  Tyson chicken gives their chicken growth hormones to speed their growth and overfeed them in order to make them grow at somewhere around 3x their natural growth.  Most chicken by the time they are killed cannot walk and have large, infected ulcers on their breasts due to their legs not being able to keep them upright and having to lean on their breast just to stand.  Obviously, without a huge amount of antibiotics, the ulcer would cause infection which would make the food inedible... so they load up the chicken with antibiotics. 

If you're interested, I would recommend Chicken: The Dangerous Transformation of America's Food. 

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure you're correct.

I'm sure you're correct.
Otherwise how could they sell MILLIONS of chickens in the supermarkets every week?!...
It is a terribly secretive conspiracy against the innocent consumer.
And then you have radiated food, probably the poor chickens too!
Man, we should stand up against this whole mess!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Banning meat won't work,

Banning meat won't work, because I (and millions of others) will not comply. I'll hunt on my own. Restructure the industry or suffer its existence.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:I'm sure you're

julio wrote:
I'm sure you're correct. Otherwise how could they sell MILLIONS of chickens in the supermarkets every week?!... It is a terribly secretive conspiracy against the innocent consumer. And then you have radiated food, probably the poor chickens too! Man, we should stand up against this whole mess!

But.... but i LIKE growth hormones in my food supply

(and radiated with what, pray tell?)

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

babies.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:The Doomed

ClockCat wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

babies.

... you can radiate things with babies?

... WHY THE FUCK AM I ALWAYS LAST TO KNOW THESE THINGS?

What Would Kharn Do?

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Cold pasteurization", or

"Cold pasteurization", or irradiation of food is secretive because it is dangerous, I'm told. I don't know. I bet the system is adulterated wherever possible, don't you think? Radiated foods could be one of the reasons burgers taste "funny". Hence, all the disguising additions to them. Man, we're doomed, as far as eating healthily!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wthout meat, one must go

Wthout meat, one must go through extraordinary effort to eat healthy. And burgers taste fine to me.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

julio wrote:

"Cold pasteurization", or irradiation of food is secretive because it is dangerous, I'm told. I don't know. I bet the system is adulterated wherever possible, don't you think? Radiated foods could be one of the reasons burgers taste "funny". Hence, all the disguising additions to them. Man, we're doomed, as far as eating healthily!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

I'm telling you, tin foil is the only thing that will stop it from getting through to your brain when you shop and eat.

You only have to make a little cap out of it and wear it around to be healthy.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sounds like good advise,

It sounds like good advise, but people in the supermarkets would make fun of me, I guess! Maybe I would be stopped by the security people and interrogated...
Maybe I would protect my brain cells from more radiation and avert further damage!... Who knows?...

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

julio wrote:
It sounds like good advise, but people in the supermarkets would make fun of me, I guess! Maybe I would be stopped by the security people and interrogated... Maybe I would protect my brain cells from more radiation and avert further damage!... Who knows?...

No, no they wouldn't. They will respect you for it, once you calmly explain to them the situation.

You have to think about yourself an your future! Tin foil will protect you where nothing else will. 

If you are feeling generous you can always make additional caps for others to wear, and hand them out while explaining to them why they need it.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good gravy Clockcat, you

Good gravy Clockcat, you have that all wrong. Ever see a security guard wearing a tin foil hat? No? That is because they are under control from the mind lasers and the hat would allow them to think for themselves.

In fact, once someone is sighted publicly with a foil hat on, that triggers an automatic response whereby the guards will take him into tome room alone and interrogate him for a few hours. Not because they expect to learn anything but just because our machine masters are sadists. Eventually, they will strap him to a table and stand him in front of a mirror so that he can watch as they rip the foil hat off and while the radiation bathes his brain, he can watch as his control of his own mind slips away.

Of course, the longer the process goes on for, the less point as his soul will be progressively destroyed but again, the computers that manage the whole process are pretty sadistic. When the process nears completion, they will put an Arby's sub in front of him to see if he eats it. If he does, then they know that his soul has been destroyed.

If you have ever been to an Arby's you may have seen the robotic meat slicer and will know what I mean. There simply has to be something wrong with cold cuts that can be sliced without a human being present to operate the machine.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:O

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Good gravy Clockcat, you have that all wrong. Ever see a security guard wearing a tin foil hat? No? That is because they are under control from the mind lasers and the hat would allow them to think for themselves.

In fact, once someone is sighted publicly with a foil hat on, that triggers an automatic response whereby the guards will take him into tome room alone and interrogate him for a few hours. Not because they expect to learn anything but just because our machine masters are sadists. Eventually, they will strap him to a table and stand him in front of a mirror so that he can watch as they rip the foil hat off and while the radiation bathes his brain, he can watch as his control of his own mind slips away.

Of course, the longer the process goes on for, the less point as his soul will be progressively destroyed but again, the computers that manage the whole process are pretty sadistic. When the process nears completion, they will put an Arby's sub in front of him to see if he eats it. If he does, then they know that his soul has been destroyed.

If you have ever been to an Arby's you may have seen the robotic meat slicer and will know what I mean. There simply has to be something wrong with cold cuts that can be sliced without a human being present to operate the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpR8dOawlcU

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL! Thanks, guys. That was

LOL! Thanks, guys. That was hilarious!!
[By the way, this topic is overtaking my other one on extinction of lions! It must prove something; I don't know what.]

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been a vegetarian for

I've been a vegetarian for three years. It takes some getting used to at first, but it's a breeze after the first couple of months. It's also not at all difficult to maintain muscle mass if you exercise properly and get at least .7 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day: I've always been heavily involved in weight training and martial arts, and after three years I'm still between 225 and 235 pounds (at 5'10").

Edejardin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:I've been a

edejardin wrote:
I've been a vegetarian for three years. It takes some getting used to at first, but it's a breeze after the first couple of months. It's also not at all difficult to maintain muscle mass if you exercise properly and get at least .7 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day: I've always been heavily involved in weight training and martial arts, and after three years I'm still between 225 and 235 pounds (at 5'10&quotEye-wink.

Not to derail the thread but what kind of martial arts do you train in ?

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Not to derail the thread

"Not to derail the thread but what kind of martial arts do you train in?"

I started off with kenpo and tae kwon do as a child, and moved on to boxing, muay thai and, my personal favorite, Brazilian jiu jitsu. My biggest regret (in this area) is never having wrestled.

Do you train?

Edejardin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  The only training I had

The only training I had was in Muay Thai.  My best friend trains in BJJ.   

Your stature reminds me of a similarly endowed Ukrainian fighter ( retired ) named Igor Vovchanchyn.  He was an unorthodox brawler who through sheer athleticism could knock the s**t out of opponents, even those considerably larger.