First Baptist Dallas unveils $130 million building plan for downtown

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
First Baptist Dallas unveils $130 million building plan for downtown

First Baptist Church of Dallas today announced a $130 million capital campaign to build a 3,000-seat worship center, a religious education building and parking garage, a glass concourse, and a sky bridge.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/110109dnmetfirstbaptist.274b283f4.html

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone?

I'm just curious;  has anyone here ever heard of a 2nd Baptist Church of anywhere?   Anywhere at all?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoah! USD $130,000,000 for

Whoah! USD $130,000,000 for a 3,000 seat church? I smell a rat here.

I don't of course know exactly what is on the drawing board here but since this is for the parking gararge/class rooms and concourse, let's take a ball park figure here and assume 1,000 square feet per person. That divides out to USD $130,000/square foot.

The problem that I see here is that commercial real estate in the US is south of USC $200/square foot. To get a real estate price that is more in line with reality, one has to assume that they plan to build about 750,000 square feet/person. If I take 2,000 square feet as the size of a really nice house, that works out to 375 houses/person of total space.

Are they really attempting to “glorify god” as they say? Or are they engaged in money laundering?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I don't of course know exactly what is on the drawing board here but since this is for the parking gararge/class rooms and concourse, let's take a ball park figure here and assume 1,000 square feet per person. That divides out to USD $130,000/square foot.

The problem that I see here is that commercial real estate in the US is south of USC $200/square foot. To get a real estate price that is more in line with reality, one has to assume that they plan to build about 750,000 square feet/person. If I take 2,000 square feet as the size of a really nice house, that works out to 375 houses/person of total space.

Are they really attempting to “glorify god” as they say? Or are they engaged in money laundering?

In a city like Dallas, downtown? Next to the arts district? Including the garage they said they are building, and the "campus"? Not to mention the cost of the sky bridge across a downtown street? Yeah, it could easily be that expensive for the real estate and and the construction of buildings.

The more depressing part is how much of the city would be wasted on crap like that. One of the main benefits of cities is how little room (compared to rural areas) churches take up.

It is functionally going to be a dead spot in the city. If it was a gym at least it provides a service.

Worse yet, this is one of the churches that supports NOM. The group that is organised solely to outlaw gay marriage.

Sigh.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:First

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

First Baptist Church of Dallas today announced a $130 million capital campaign to build a 3,000-seat worship center, a religious education building and parking garage, a glass concourse, and a sky bridge.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/110109dnmetfirstbaptist.274b283f4.html

Even people who call themselves christians are outraged about this. So far over 150 comments were made on this article in 2 days. It seems the mayor is helping to promote this new church which is clearly a violation of seperation of church and state.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

I don't of course know exactly what is on the drawing board here but since this is for the parking garage/class rooms and concourse, let's take a ball park figure here and assume 1,000 square feet per person. That divides out to USD $130,000/square foot.

Well it's 3000 seats, probably alot more going into it as well, given what they described it probably fits over 5000 to 7000 people easy, and how big is the religious education centre going to be, plus then you have to include everything else that goes into it, security systems, cameras, network, A/V system, acoustic paneling, all this stuff ups the price, that and it's going to have a sky bridge, glass structures are not cheap, then parking lot, etc, etc, etc. Even then height of it also increases the price, I highly doubt they are going to have a 10 foot ceiling, probably closer to 30' if not more in height for the church side. 

Although yes there are going to be pay offs for sure, that I have no doubt about it.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

latincanuck wrote:

I don't of course know exactly what is on the drawing board here but since this is for the parking garage/class rooms and concourse, let's take a ball park figure here and assume 1,000 square feet per person. That divides out to USD $130,000/square foot.

Well it's 3000 seats, probably alot more going into it as well, given what they described it probably fits over 5000 to 7000 people easy, and how big is the religious education centre going to be, plus then you have to include everything else that goes into it, security systems, cameras, network, A/V system, acoustic paneling, all this stuff ups the price, that and it's going to have a sky bridge, glass structures are not cheap, then parking lot, etc, etc, etc. Even then height of it also increases the price, I highly doubt they are going to have a 10 foot ceiling, probably closer to 30' if not more in height for the church side. 

Although yes there are going to be pay offs for sure, that I have no doubt about it.

Not just a parking lot, they are building a garage. Think of how many cars 1500-2000 actually are.

Even at 6-7 levels, it is going to take up a lot of room.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
yes true

I am working on a seniors home project, and it might be a total of 800 residents, might, and the total so far is 10 million, I can see how a place like this can go up that high. Your right clockcat it is either going to be underground or above ground multi-floor parking

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

150,000,000 is quite accurate for a project of this magnitude.  You have to also consider the custom finishing, churches pay big bucks for their lavish interiors as apposed to what drywall and paint for standard commercial buildings cost.  I do custom finishing work for many high end buildings with costs in the hundreds of millions.  The sad thing is how better this money could be spent.  What a croc, a direct contradiction of their suppoosed teachings to give, imagine all the people that could be helped with the money they spend to build their holy towers.  SELL THE VATICAN, feed the homeless, ha

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Cool !  It will be a

Cool !  It will be a Vatican City for the protestant fundamentalists. 

"Check out all this godly opulence, dude !  We're talking top flight all the way !  Oh, btw, we're doing our Heavenly Father's  will by spending this mountain of cash on ourselves so you poor people can just keep sleeping in alleys and starving.  God Bless !! "

Hilarious !

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I never understood how this

I never understood how this is justified.  You have $130 million laying around, do you a) Feed the poor, comfort the dying, spead the good news or b) Buy gold plated communion goblets and silk underwear for ushers...and a sky bridge.

I mean, really?  If I were a member of that church I would be fuming.  It is such a blatantly commercial move.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.