Theism and Video Games - Contrast and Compare

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theism and Video Games - Contrast and Compare

Something to ponder and discuss: How are a video game "universe" and the universe according to theism similar? How are they different?

Comparisons:

*There is some intelligent being that created the universe.

*There is some final arbiter of said universe.

*Rewards are granted based on the will of that final arbiter.

Contrasts:

*ONE instruction manual comes with the video game, rather than dozens of possibly false ones.

*The rules of the final arbiter are generally more straightforward with a video game.

*One can check one's score within a video game before one reaches the end of the game, providing a solid metric as to one's performance within the universe.

Any others?

-Triften

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

I would say that reality is closer to a video game, over theism.

The real world is reward-based. You are compensated for grinding.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Another

Another similarity...

Both can be fun at a young age, but typically most people grow out of them/it.

And yeah I know it might seem like a stretch for religion to be fun at a young age, but church social gatherings for kids, and praying for all kinds of creative stuff in bed come to mind as fun things.  Oh... having an imaginary friend is fun as a kid, as an adult of course it's serious business.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

Another similarity...

And yeah I know it might seem like a stretch for religion to be fun at a young age, but church social gatherings for kids, and praying for all kinds of creative stuff in bed come to mind as fun things.  Oh... having an imaginary friend is fun as a kid, as an adult of course it's serious business.

I never had fun at church at a young age. I was beaten up once by the other kids for asking too many questions in sunday school.

I never thought of praying as a "fun thing" either. Just fearful that I would die before asking forgiveness for something and going to hell as a result.

I also would fear that the rapture happened, when the house was too quiet. That I was left behind because I wasn't faithful enough.

I have no good memories related to religion. Sorry. I never felt it was a social gathering. That was school.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I'm sorry clockcat.  I

I'm sorry clockcat.  I certainly found the overwhelming majority of my religious training, boring.  I was stretching on that example for sure.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You can't just unplug

You can't just unplug theism and go outside.

Grounding/Disciplining my children from theism wouldn't work. "No god(s) for you this week!" would be met with incredulity or applause. One of my smartasses would laugh and say, "Which god(s)?"

Typically, there is a point to a video game.

On the older games, you ran out of lives at some point receiving the message "GAME OVER". Most religions have an unlimited continue aka respawn.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote:Something to

triften wrote:

Something to ponder and discuss: How are a video game "universe" and the universe according to theism similar? How are they different?

If there is a bug in the program, you can always cal support.

Good creators would change the program and release an update.

Bad creators say wait to the next version.

So are gods like Microsoft?

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Both can be fun at a young

"Both can be fun at a young age, but typically most people grow out of them/it."

To hit this from the other side, typically people do not grow out of gaming. The vast majority of the industry is adult gamers. Sticking out tongue

Now back in the 80's and early 90's this was a kids industry. But those kids have grown up, and still play, often with their own kids. It's a beautiful thing. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"Both can be

Vastet wrote:
"Both can be fun at a young age, but typically most people grow out of them/it." To hit this from the other side, typically people do not grow out of gaming. The vast majority of the industry is adult gamers. Sticking out tongue Now back in the 80's and early 90's this was a kids industry. But those kids have grown up, and still play, often with their own kids. It's a beautiful thing. Smiling
Gaming...oh the joys. I could play pac-man before I could read.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
"Both can be fun at a young age, but typically most people grow out of them/it." To hit this from the other side, typically people do not grow out of gaming. The vast majority of the industry is adult gamers. Sticking out tongue Now back in the 80's and early 90's this was a kids industry. But those kids have grown up, and still play, often with their own kids. It's a beautiful thing. Smiling

I grew up with video games and will never stop playing them. 

The same goes for all my friends.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you run over a preacher

If you run over a preacher after services, you don't always get your money back.

Often, the plot line sucks, but the cinematics rock.

Light speed really is too slow after all.

No lightsabers in theism. SUXORS!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I grew up

ClockCat wrote:

You'll never stop playing your friends?

-Triften

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Another

Sapient wrote:

Another similarity...

If most people grow out of it, why are so many adults religious?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

triften wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

You'll never stop playing your friends?

-Triften

Never ever ever.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Religion, like the gaming

Religion, like the gaming industry, tries to keep their 'followers' interested by creating new and exciting activities!

SEE BELOW....Is this a "mind, body, and soul" prayer event or a new virtual reality add-on for wii?

Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol. I plan to die with a

lol.
I plan to die with a controller in hand (or whatever serves as one when the time comes). Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.