North America and sport

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
North America and sport

I have one question for everyone that lives in North America...... why are all the major sports in your country so crappy and lame? But more importantly don't you get bored playing by yourselves? No one else plays your sports really. 

Lets look at some examples shall we

Lets start with baseball.

Has there ever been a more boring sport? Hit ball once and then run then you are done. The repeat for however nuimber of unnings there are...... yay. It just doesn't have the skill that is needed from cricket. It doesn't have anything that makes it worth watching imo.

Now American football

As best I can tell its just Rugby with all the rules broken made for wimps. Cumon all that protective gear? havent you ever watched australian football? I may hate the australians but dam they got that sport right. It could of been great but they killed it. Get out of that protective gear and play a real sport.

When will you Americans join the rest of the world? You cannot resist the trio of Cricket/soccer/rugby forever. Why do you persist with such lame sports. Don't you get tired of always playing yourselves as no one else plays your sports?

But most importantly why the hell do you have something called the WORLD SERIES  in baseball when only two countries take part? Are you confused or something? Says alot about the mentality over there

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:The only sport I

Magus wrote:

The only sport I watch is MMA, but even then I don't really know anybody in it.

Agreed.  I enjoy watching any type of martial arts competition but most examples of team sports bore the shit out of me.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

We can always bring back the coliseum.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I get so sick of soccer fans

I get so sick of soccer fans calling American football players wimps because of the helmets and pads. I'd challenge anyone of these dorks to take a hit from a defensive back without pads. You'd be crying for them! MORONS!

You have no clue how hard the game is to play unless you play it yourself. ALL sports at the pro level take talent, even the ones I don't like. It all amounts to a matter of taste and what one grows up with.

Soccer takes talent. I simply don't like any sport where most of the game ends up 1-0.  It is boring to me. But again, that is because I wasn't raised on soccer.

Golf, another sport I find boring. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I suck at Putt Putt. Golf takes talent to play, I simply don't like the sport.

So give it a rest soccer fans. It is not a matter of either or, right or wrong. It is an arbitrary escape for the same reason we go to see a movie, it is something we happen to latch onto to relax from the real world where we have to pay bills.

Soccer players have talent. So do golfers, tennis players and American football players. We as fans, have merely picked different sports to latch onto.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

prefer to play the man, not the ball. 

congratz on finding Clockcats tie in, to sports... hehe

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I get so sick of soccer

"I get so sick of soccer fans calling American football players wimps because of the helmets and pads. I'd challenge anyone of these dorks to take a hit from a defensive back without pads. You'd be crying for them! MORONS!"

Only because the fat fucks weigh 350 pounds. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: We can

ClockCat wrote:

We can always bring back the coliseum.

Also...

YES! yes... yes... *orgasmic* YEEEEEES!!!!

*cough*

Whos the dumbfucker that disposed of the mighty coliseum anyway?

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A very good question.

A very good question.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
AHA!!!!!!!!!!

You last two should have been in Phillidelphia last night.  They ALMOST  had a football game.  But the Washington (DC) First nations showed up and that ended that.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

You last two should have been in Phillidelphia last night.  They ALMOST  had a football game.  But the Washington (DC) First nations showed up and that ended that.

What game were you watching? The Redskins have become, and were last night, the slut of the NFL. It was NOT a close game. The Eagles handed our asses to us and it was not even close.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't enough about baseball to judge

AmericanIdle wrote:

My apologies for sidetracking this delightful post with the entirely unrelated topic of coffee. 

Now back to the irregularly scheduled and somewhat misinformed Anti-North American sports rant.

Baseball is awesome.

Football is awesome..

BASEBALL

Neither cricket nor rugby have the tension or excitement of sliding into home plate w/ 50,000 screaming fans.

But your prececonceptions about cricket are little skewed. Test cricket goes on and on for 5 days and can be a bit tedious but it's a great adjunct to anything else you might be doing. You don't have to watch all the time - you can skive off and go waterskiing or have a BBQ and it will still be going on when you get back - it's a process as much as a game. Test cricket is a subtle business and the crowds are highly knowledgeable. They'll be enthralled by anything from the state of the pitch - the ball gets to hit the ground first remember and pitches vary - to the wear on the ball - a worn ball will swing - wildly if the bowler is skillful enough. And there isn;t just one bowler or pitcher as in baseball - there are 5 or 6 with different skills and styles.

But there are a couple of other forms of cricket for short attention spans - One Day cricket - which not surprisingly lasts for one day - and 20-20 - which is a massive slugfest that goes for 2 or 3 hours and is about as close to baseball as cricket will ever get.

In One Day and 20-20 and even in some 5-day test matches that are neck and neck in the last few overs - there is sliding believe me. It's odd how often with 2 well matched sides that after 5 days play the decision will come down to the final session of play - and sometimes to the last few overs of play.

And finally, the Melbourne Cricket Ground - 'The G' as locals call it - doesn't hold 50,000 screaming fans, it holds 100,000 screaming fans.

It's a bit sad that no one else here has ever heard of Adam Gilchrist. At the Sydney Cricket Ground I saw him smite the ball over the fence about 8 times in ten minutes on a tricky, turning pitch. The 46,000 fans there that day

were definitely screaming. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"I get so sick

Vastet wrote:
"I get so sick of soccer fans calling American football players wimps because of the helmets and pads. I'd challenge anyone of these dorks to take a hit from a defensive back without pads. You'd be crying for them! MORONS!" Only because the fat fucks weigh 350 pounds. :P

Damn it...  The Defensive Back position requires just about the most speed on the field.  They're the ones responsible for bringing  down the fastest Offensive players.  Two of the best Defensive Backs playing right now are Eric Weddle and Troy Polamalu.... They average about 200 lbs of solid muscle and probably about 5-7 % body fat...  

OHHH, will the madness never end ??    

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:

My apologies for sidetracking this delightful post with the entirely unrelated topic of coffee. 

Now back to the irregularly scheduled and somewhat misinformed Anti-North American sports rant.

Baseball is awesome.

Football is awesome..

BASEBALL

Neither cricket nor rugby have the tension or excitement of sliding into home plate w/ 50,000 screaming fans.

But your prececonceptions about cricket are little skewed.  

Actually I was carefully trying to avoid any commentary on cricket or rugby.  I was merely pointing out that neither happen to have the act of sliding into a home plate as a feature of their game.

George Orwell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Considering that a 10 second

Considering that a 10 second google search told me that for 5 different teams the average weight of defensive backs was closer to 270, I'll disregard that as an irrelevant abnormality, and stand by my point.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Considering

Vastet wrote:
Considering that a 10 second google search told me that for 5 different teams the average weight of defensive backs was closer to 270, I'll disregard that as an irrelevant abnormality, and stand by my point.

AAAAGGGHHH !!!   Find me (ONE) defensive back in the NFL who is 270 lbs ?

Just ONE !!!     Did I mention...... ONE ?

George Orwell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"defensive linemen average

"defensive linemen average 272 pounds a man, followed by tight ends (250 avg.), linebackers (230 avg.) and quarterbacks (212 avg.)"

So I mistook a lineman for a back. Whatever that means. As if 40 pds makes much of a difference. The point is that these are not healthy people sharing the average weight of a healthy male, and therefore it is quite unreasonable to suggest an average healthy male would take a hit without blinking.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"defensive

Vastet wrote:
"defensive linemen average 272 pounds a man, followed by tight ends (250 avg.), linebackers (230 avg.) and quarterbacks (212 avg.)" So I mistook a lineman for a back. Whatever that means. As if 40 pds makes much of a difference. The point is that these are not healthy people sharing the average weight of a healthy male, and therefore it is quite unreasonable to suggest an average healthy male would take a hit without blinking.

Linemen are often overweight as they are the largest players on the field and are purposely selected from a pool of the very largest people on the planet.

To find any other player on the field who is overweight would be a rarity. Football players are selected based on size, strength, speed and skill at playing the game. 

You are unlikely to find an athlete playing football with a runner's build as they could not survive the physical wear and tear.  To put it another way, that sort of body could never begin to take that kind of punishment.  Whether they are 250 pounds or 180 (the low end) you should expect that they are in top physical condition and likely carry little to no extra body fat or they wouldn't survive at that level of competition. 

Again a defensive back has to be the fastest (or at least compete with the fastest) player on the field.  It would be rare to find one over 215 lbs at the high end.

I wouldn't begin to argue their overall health, but I think it would be fair to say that football players as a whole are among some of the fittest people on the planet.

You are clearly not watching the CFL !

George Orwell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, it's not interesting

Well, it's not interesting enough, and far too slow. Hockey has as much if not more tactics, requires more skill to play, and is a much faster paced game. Overall, nothing comes close. Why bother with the inferior? Sticking out tongue

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Well, it's not

Vastet wrote:
Well, it's not interesting enough, and far too slow. Hockey has as much if not more tactics, requires more skill to play, and is a much faster paced game. Overall, nothing comes close. Why bother with the inferior? :P

Then let us skip hockey and football/rugby all together, and head back to the great games of old! You'd be hard pressed to find a sport that requires more physicality, strategy, and all out skill, then a gladiator death match

What Would Kharn Do?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a side track but yeah

A fight to the death would bring contact sport and reality TV together in an entertainment orgy.

Who fights - evil death row prisoners? Professional fighters? Mud wrestlers???

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Vastet

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Well, it's not interesting enough, and far too slow. Hockey has as much if not more tactics, requires more skill to play, and is a much faster paced game. Overall, nothing comes close. Why bother with the inferior? :P

Then let us skip hockey and football/rugby all together, and head back to the great games of old! You'd be hard pressed to find a sport that requires more physicality, strategy, and all out skill, then a gladiator death match

I'll see you and raise war games with live ammo.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That looks familiar. AI for

That looks familiar. AI for the win, until it realises there is no win. lol.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The Doomed Soul

Vastet wrote:
The Doomed Soul wrote:

But wargames are not sports o_O

I think i'd still prefer the arena...  but! if the council of men decides that wargames (live ammo or not) are sports, then so be it... i shall abide their decision...

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A compromise: War games with

A compromise: War games with 12th century technology. Effectively the Colliseum en masse.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:A compromise:

Vastet wrote:
A compromise: War games with 12th century technology. Effectively the Colliseum en masse.

... toss in helmet cams, and im in!

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that can be

I think that can be arranged. Eye in the sky too for those more interested in the big picture.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I think that

Vastet wrote:
I think that can be arranged. Eye in the sky too for those more interested in the big picture.

Of course! of course... i thought that went without saying

Also! in the case of all large projectile weapons (RPG's, LAWs-'s and the like) all muntions must have cameras!

Cameras! cameras everywhere! never a moment of missed bloodshed and almighty "Oh Shit" moments!

Whats next on the list? Sponsors?

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Of course! of course... i thought that went without saying

Also! in the case of all large projectile weapons (RPG's, LAWs-'s and the like) all muntions must have cameras!

Cameras! cameras everywhere! never a moment of missed bloodshed and almighty "Oh Shit" moments!

Whats next on the list? Sponsors?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sponsors, location, and

Sponsors, location, and participants are the three things that come to mind. Clockcat has given us a possible source to tap for participants, though I wonder whether voluntary participation would be more entertaining than enforced. Maybe run two versions for the first couple years to determine if there'll be much of a difference.
Sponsors will just appear from thin air as soon as it's clear that there is money to be made. That leaves only location. I think if it's done like the Olympics, then maximum entertainment is assured. Noone wants to see the same shit over and over again. Battle in the desert one year, rainforest the next, etc. Perhaps the odd special might be a good idea, with combat on the moon or Mars as examples just to make things interesting.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
Sponsors, location, and participants are the three things that come to mind. Clockcat has given us a possible source to tap for participants, though I wonder whether voluntary participation would be more entertaining than enforced. Maybe run two versions for the first couple years to determine if there'll be much of a difference. Sponsors will just appear from thin air as soon as it's clear that there is money to be made. That leaves only location. I think if it's done like the Olympics, then maximum entertainment is assured. Noone wants to see the same shit over and over again. Battle in the desert one year, rainforest the next, etc. Perhaps the odd special might be a good idea, with combat on the moon or Mars as examples just to make things interesting.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting, but I can't see

Interesting, but I can't see kids putting on much of a show. Steven Seagal Vs Jean-Claude Van Damme type combat would be far more entertaining.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Clockcat has

Vastet wrote:
Clockcat has given us a possible source to tap for participants, though I wonder whether voluntary participation would be more entertaining than enforced. Maybe run two versions for the first couple years to determine if there'll be much of a difference.

If given the population of the world, and only 1 site for its application, there will be no shortage of volunteers... those seeking fame and glory, wealth, suicidal teenagers, psychopaths... perfect! i for one, would kill for the chance... *snicker*

I still must contest that gladiatorial, is the way to go. Venues run the guantlet from Man vs Beast -- Group vs Group, armament from Bareknuckle brawling, to some of the deadliest melee weapons ever invented. Not every match aurring the age of Rome was a death match either, even if fought with swords!

If we go with mordern warfare + weaponry, we'll run through contestants at alarming rates and never with a chance of reappearance.

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Clockcat has given us a possible source to tap for participants, though I wonder whether voluntary participation would be more entertaining than enforced. Maybe run two versions for the first couple years to determine if there'll be much of a difference.

If given the population of the world, and only 1 site for its application, there will be no shortage of volunteers... those seeking fame and glory, wealth, suicidal teenagers, psychopaths... perfect! i for one, would kill for the chance... *snicker*

I still must contest that gladiatorial, is the way to go. Venues run the guantlet from Man vs Beast -- Group vs Group, armament from Bareknuckle brawling, to some of the deadliest melee weapons ever invented. Not every match aurring the age of Rome was a death match either, even if fought with swords!

If we go with mordern warfare + weaponry, we'll run through contestants at alarming rates and never with a chance of reappearance.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: If

The Doomed Soul wrote:

If we go with modern warfare + weaponry, we'll run through contestants at alarming rates and never with a chance of reappearance.

In that vein....I propose a contest between a gladiator armed with a modern flame thrower against an opponent armed with a dinner fork

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If we're going to use modern

If we're going to use modern weapons, it should be saved for anniversary specials. I see potential for the two versions to come together for an all out war. Pro's Vs Pro Criminals.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok tbh i don't hate

Ok tbh i don't hate american sports, that was more just provoking a reaction  Its funny how people defend them. Im guilty of it to though.

As for the american sports of baseball, american football and basketball. I have played all 3.  We had an american coach for P.E. he insisted on diversity.

Baseball was tbh boring to play and watch, it just seemed to come down to who could hit harder and throw faster. Yes there are some tactics just none that interested me. American football we played without protective gear was fine no injuries, considering i was playing with the schools 1st team for rugby and they are rather large and rather fast (and i am not), so im still taking that hole protective gear thing with a pinch of salt, hurt a little il admit but thats all the more reason not to get hit adds a little motvation. Basketball I just don't have the energy for it, entertaiing for a time but repetative.

All animals are equal.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:If we're going

Vastet wrote:
If we're going to use modern weapons, it should be saved for anniversary specials. I see potential for the two versions to come together for an all out war. Pro's Vs Pro Criminals.

Funny how that translates into Psycopaths vs Psychopaths who got caught >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

funny that

but atleast it would put psycopaths to some good use.

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Natural selection? Smiling