The legend of the cruel Herod

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline

[Mind if I share this with you?]

And then Jesus' Father succeeded to protect his Holy Child from Herod, sending the Holy Trio [Mary, Joseph and Child on a small ordinary donkey for several days, poor and innocent animal] to Egypt to escape the slaughter of the innocents in Bethlehem.

What a relief Jehovah might have felt, when he saw the king's soldiers decapitating the Chosen Children, knowing his own Holy Child was safe on the way to Egypt!

Never did Jehovah Father feel so nice, watching the soldiers ripping the babies from the mothers' breasts to push the sharp swords through their smallest of hearts, checking that his Holy Child was safe on the back of a donkey hurrying toward Egypt!

Had no better plan.

Jehovah remembered very well when he himself killed ALL the firstborn in Egypt to protect his own Chosen People!

“What a nice God I am”, he muttered to himself smiling, “sometimes I protect my Chosen People, sometimes I protect my own Holy Child. It depends on the occasion, really...”

Nice Jehovah Father to worship Sunday mornings.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Well duh, god's really damn

Well duh, god's really damn barbaric. Basically he wanted only his son to survive so that when his son grew up he could have a harem of females and propagate the lineage. Too bad for him god is also a terrible planner and things didn't work out that way.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're right. When you tell

You're right. When you tell a staunch Christian this story like I did here, what answer can you expect? Religion breaks up good friendships.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:Well duh, god's

Stosis wrote:

Well duh, god's really damn barbaric. Basically he wanted only his son to survive so that when his son grew up he could have a harem of females and propagate the lineage. didn't want King Herod to kill his son so that he could grow up and be killed by King Herod.

I fixed your slight misspelling for you. :--)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Julio

julio wrote:

[Mind if I share this with you?]

And then Jesus' Father succeeded to protect his Holy Child from Herod, sending the Holy Trio [Mary, Joseph and Child on a small ordinary donkey for several days, poor and innocent animal] to Egypt to escape the slaughter of the innocents in Bethlehem.

What a relief Jehovah might have felt, when he saw the king's soldiers decapitating the Chosen Children, knowing his own Holy Child was safe on the way to Egypt!

Never did Jehovah Father feel so nice, watching the soldiers ripping the babies from the mothers' breasts to push the sharp swords through their smallest of hearts, checking that his Holy Child was safe on the back of a donkey hurrying toward Egypt!

Had no better plan.

Jehovah remembered very well when he himself killed ALL the firstborn in Egypt to protect his own Chosen People!

“What a nice God I am”, he muttered to himself smiling, “sometimes I protect my Chosen People, sometimes I protect my own Holy Child. It depends on the occasion, really...”

Nice Jehovah Father to worship Sunday mornings.

You can irritate a theist by pointing out that since  Harod died of natural causes shortly after killing the baby's of Bethlahem,  supposedly! why didn't god just suffle off Herod a few days sooner and save all the babys from being murdered.

Herod was bloody enough as a king but this one he is innocent of.

I can hear one answer from the theists;   "God doesn't interfer with free will."  Tell them that if Harod had his free will he would still be alive, today!!   And why is Harod more important to god,  on his death bed,  then new borns?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

You can irritate a theist by pointing out that since  Harod died of natural causes shortly after killing the baby's of Bethlahem,  supposedly! why didn't god just suffle off Herod a few days sooner and save all the babys from being murdered.

Herod was bloody enough as a king but this one he is innocent of.

I can hear one answer from the theists;   "God doesn't interfer with free will."  Tell them that if Harod had his free will he would still be alive, today!!   And why is Harod more important to god,  on his death bed,  then new borns?

You can really irritate Christians (please, don't confuse THEISTS with CHRISTIANS) by pointing out that there is zero evidence for the "Slaughter of the Innocents" as well as the supposed census that brought Mary and Joseph to Jerusalem Bethlehem in the first place.

As for the Plague of the Firstborn, go back and read what the Egyptians were doing to the Jews.  You can't throw out one part of the story and jump all over the second.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's all a bit obvious of course

But the idea a ruler would just up and kill all the newborn babies in a small town and expect no repercussions whatever?

You'd need to start with the parents and work your way down to the babies. Ultimately you couldn't do one without doing the other.

This is a silly madeup story posited by some unknown author to mesh the NT and the OT.

If god actually wanted to impress he could have predicted who would win the Kentucky Derby in 1952 and we'd all be on bended knee.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

But the idea a ruler would just up and kill all the newborn babies in a small town and expect no repercussions whatever?

You'd need to start with the parents and work your way down to the babies. Ultimately you couldn't do one without doing the other.

This is a silly madeup story posited by some unknown author to mesh the NT and the OT.

If god actually wanted to impress he could have predicted who would win the Kentucky Derby in 1952 and we'd all be on bended knee.

Absolutely. Agree fully! The saddest of all beliefs is a Christian accepting this weirdest story as a literal event. Forgive, but at one stage in my life I was that ridiculously stupid.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Moi aussi

Moi aussi.