The belief in God

dgs012
User is offlineOffline
The belief in God

Why does God deem it so important that we believe in him? Why does he want us to believe in him? Why is this the deciding factor on whether one goes to heaven or hell?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
dgs012

dgs012 wrote:

Why does God deem it so important that we believe in him? Why does he want us to believe in him? Why is this the deciding factor on whether one goes to heaven or hell?

As a good sound atheist I can answer  your questions in order;  There are no gods and no reason to believe in any religion.     There is nothing supernatural to waste time believing in.    It goes without saying (but I will anyway) there is no heaven or hell.

I personally believe you and I make our own heaven & hell right here on earth,  there is no place else.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Christian_Apologist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
dgs012 wrote:Why does God

dgs012 wrote:

God deems it so important to believe in Him because you cannot glorify him unless you believe in Him first.  He wants us to believe in Him so that we may glorify Him.  This is a deciding factor on whether one goes to Heaven or Hell because by not glorifying Him, you have shirked Him of what rightfully belongs to Him.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
god is make believe

God is make believe so the question is moot.

Now if you had asked why theists want you to believe that their make believe deity wants you to believe in him...

Follow the money...

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

Christian_Apologist wrote:

dgs012 wrote:

God deems it so important to believe in Him because you cannot glorify him unless you believe in Him first.  He wants us to believe in Him so that we may glorify Him.  This is a deciding factor on whether one goes to Heaven or Hell because by not glorifying Him, you have shirked Him of what rightfully belongs to Him.

So God is so starved of affection or praise that he makes this whole universe with one planet full of millions of different life-forms so that one species can find its highest purpose in telling Him how great he is? An 'infinite' being needs a bunch of flawed mortal beings to 'glorify' him?? WTF??

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Christian_Apologist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:So God is

BobSpence1 wrote:

So God is so starved of affection or praise that he makes this whole universe with one planet full of millions of different life-forms so that one species can find its highest purpose in telling Him how great he is? An 'infinite' being needs a bunch of flawed mortal beings to 'glorify' him?? WTF??

Yes, though I would not say that He needs us to glorify Him. 

What's the problem?

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

Yes, though I would not say that He

needs

us to glorify Him. 

What's the problem?

So why does he get so pissy that he damns people to eternal torture if he doesn't get properly glorified?

Christian_Apologist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:So why does he

KSMB wrote:

So why does he get so pissy that he damns people to eternal torture if he doesn't get properly glorified?

The short answer to the question “why did God create us?” is “for His pleasure.” Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” Colossians 1:16 reiterates the point: “All things were created by him and for him.” Being created for God’s pleasure does not mean humanity was made to entertain God or provide Him with amusement. God is a creative Being, and it gives Him pleasure to create. God is a personal Being, and it gives Him pleasure to have other beings He can have a genuine relationship with.

Being made in the image and likeness of God, human beings have the ability to know God and therefore love Him, worship Him, serve Him, and fellowship with Him. God did not create human beings because He needed them. As God, He needs nothing. In all eternity past, He felt no loneliness, so He was not looking for a “friend.” He loves us, but this is not the same as needing us. If we had never existed, God would still be God—the unchanging One. The I AM was never dissatisfied with His own eternal existence. When He made the universe, He did what pleased Himself, and since God is perfect, His action was perfect. “It was very good”.

Also, God did not create “peers” or beings equal to Himself. Logically, He could not do so. If God were to create another being of equal power, intelligence, and perfection, then He would cease to be the one true God for the simple reason that there would be two gods—and that would be an impossibility. “The LORD is God; besides him there is no other”.  Anything that God creates must of necessity be lesser than He. The thing made can never be greater than, or as great as, the One who made it.

Recognizing the complete sovereignty and holiness of God, we are amazed that He would take man and crown him “with glory and honor” and that He would condescend to call us “friends”. Why did God create us? God created us for His pleasure and so that we, as His creation, would have the pleasure of knowing Him.

http://www.gotquestions.org/why-did-God-create-us.html

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yes, though I would not say that He needs us to glorify Him. 

What's the problem?

If we were created to glorify him, God has a need/desire for it. Omnipotent beings should not have needs/desires.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for spitting up dogma

Christian_apologist.

Of course you're ever so right. There's a deity in the sky that no one has ever seen. A book was written about him by nobody knows who. If we don't approve we will

go to a hell no one has ever seen. I take pleasure in the fact the heaven you are so keen on arse-kissing your way into has never yet been seen.

The most delicious part of your last post was use of the word 'logically' tightly packed in with a crock of total shit.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Christian_Apologist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:If we were

jcgadfly wrote:

If we were created to glorify him, God has a need/desire for it. Omnipotent beings should not have needs/desires.

God did not create human beings because He needed them. As God, He needs nothing. In all eternity past, He felt no loneliness, so He was not looking for a “friend.” He loves us, but this is not the same as needing us. If we had never existed, God would still be God—the unchanging One.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

jcgadfly wrote:

God did not create human beings because He needed them. As God, He needs nothing. In all eternity past, He felt no loneliness, so He was not looking for a “friend.” He loves us, but this is not the same as needing us. If we had never existed, God would still be God—the unchanging One.

Got to love those self contradictions.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Christian_Apologist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Of

Atheistextremist wrote:

Of course you're ever so right. There's a deity in the sky that no one has ever seen.

It is not necessary for something to be seen in order for us to know that he/she/it exists.

http://www.gotquestions.org/seen-God.html

The Bible tells us that no one has ever seen God (John 1:18) except the Lord Jesus Christ. In Exodus 33:20, God declares, “You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” These Scriptures seem to contradict other Scriptures which describe various people “seeing” God. For example, Exodus 33:19-23 describes Moses speaking to God “face to face.” How could Moses speak with God “face to face” if no one can see God's face and live? In this instance, the phrase “face to face” is a figure of speech indicating they were in very close communion. God and Moses were speaking to each other as if they were two human beings having a close conversation.

In Genesis 32:30, Jacob saw God appearing as an angel; he did not truly see God. Samson’s parents were terrified when they realized they had seen God (Judges 13:22), but they had only seen Him appearing as an angel. Jesus was God in the flesh (John 1:1, 14) so when people saw Him, they were seeing God. So, yes, God can be “seen” and many people have “seen” God. At the same time, no one has ever seen God revealed in all His glory. In our fallen human condition, if God were to fully reveal Himself to us, we would be consumed and destroyed. Therefore, God veils Himself and appears in forms in which we can “see” Him. However, this is different than seeing God with all His glory and holiness displayed. People have seen visions of God, images of God, and appearances of God, but no one has ever seen God in all His fullness (Exodus 33:20).

Quote:
A book was written about him by nobody knows who.

Only 5 books are of unknown authorship.  Most others are known at least partly.

http://www.theology.edu/faq01.htm

Christian_Apologist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Got to love

jcgadfly wrote:

Where?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

jcgadfly wrote:

Where?

Earlier you claimed that humans were created for God's pleasure and glory. He has a need or a desire for pleasure, glory and worship. The Bible shows this as Jesus was unable to do miracles in some cities because of the lack of belief of the citizens.

Then you claim that God didn't need to create humans as he was complete without them.

See it now? 

— George Carlin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

..... God would still be God—the unchanging One.

Of course God changes if you are speaking of the so-called "judeo-Christian" god.....try finding a religious Jew of the modern era ( much less from the Hebrew tribes of antiquity ) who believes/believed in a triune god. 

It may be traditional to use the term "judeo/christian God" but conceptually the god of Judaism and the god of Christianity share nothing except the ethnicity of their original followers. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Christian_Apologist

jcgadfly wrote:

Where?

Forgive us, sometimes we forget that your head is stuck in a myth. Sometimes we really want theists to see the error in their use of logic. We should remember that while dealing with you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

KSMB wrote:

The short answer to the question “why did God create us?” is “for His pleasure.” Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” Colossians 1:16 reiterates the point: “All things were created by him and for him.” Being created for God’s pleasure does not mean humanity was made to entertain God or provide Him with amusement. God is a creative Being, and it gives Him pleasure to create. God is a personal Being, and it gives Him pleasure to have other beings He can have a genuine relationship with.

Being made in the image and likeness of God, human beings have the ability to know God and therefore love Him, worship Him, serve Him, and fellowship with Him. God did not create human beings because He needed them. As God, He needs nothing. In all eternity past, He felt no loneliness, so He was not looking for a “friend.” He loves us, but this is not the same as needing us. If we had never existed, God would still be God—the unchanging One. The I AM was never dissatisfied with His own eternal existence. When He made the universe, He did what pleased Himself, and since God is perfect, His action was perfect. “It was very good”.

Also, God did not create “peers” or beings equal to Himself. Logically, He could not do so. If God were to create another being of equal power, intelligence, and perfection, then He would cease to be the one true God for the simple reason that there would be two gods—and that would be an impossibility. “The LORD is God; besides him there is no other”.  Anything that God creates must of necessity be lesser than He. The thing made can never be greater than, or as great as, the One who made it.

Recognizing the complete sovereignty and holiness of God, we are amazed that He would take man and crown him “with glory and honor” and that He would condescend to call us “friends”. Why did God create us? God created us for His pleasure and so that we, as His creation, would have the pleasure of knowing Him.

But why does he get so pissy as to send people to eternal torture, you didn't answer the question, this is a total dodge to say the least.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian_Apologist

dgs012 wrote:

OMGOSH a perfect circle of logic!

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Make believe deity

If we had never existed, God would still be God—the...

Make believe deity...

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush