Buffy the Vampire Slayer

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A week back, my girlfriend handed me a DVD set for when the Greek and Latin gets too much for my addled brain. It was the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I laughed, because I figured I would have to be pretty desperate to have to injure my brain like that.

Turns out, the Plutarch started taking its toll, so I thought, hey, why not? And with such literary material comes a magnificent revelation: I have discovered the ultimate treasure trove of woo. The people on here talking about their chakras or astral bodies or whatever -- they don't believe in gods, they believe in Buffy the Vampire Slayer! There's even an episode where the "explain it to me" character (who, incidentally, takes British way past 11) starts talking about quantum mechanics EXACTLY like someone who has never done any math, but assumes that every implication of sub-atomic physics is magic.

X-Files would have been too easy. There's the girl character who's always saying "there must be a scientific explanation for --" and then she gets jumped by a three-headed fire-breathing giant cockroach ghost. In Buffy, nobody ever even asks! It's, "we're in a place of magic; what's the magical explanation?"

Incidentally, we may have found Luminon's religion. So sayeth the Buffy.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buffy is shit, everyone who

Buffy is shit, everyone who likes it should consider dying in a fire.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:

Buffy is awesome, Sarah Michelle Gellar is an uber-babe and the only thing Joss Whedon ever did that surpassed it was our Lord and Savior, Firefly.

(Really though, Buffy is alright, like...5.5 out of 10.  Horrible?  Yea, but I still think it is fun.  I do love Firefly though.)

Poor Luminon.  I do agree though, that is one of the points I was trying to make in the beard thread he started.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I loved the show. Nothing

I loved the show. Nothing wrong with pseudo-science until people start believing in it. There's a huge segment of the entertainment industry that, with tongue in cheek seriousness, comes up with ways to tie science with fiction for the express purpose of keeping enough of a sense of reality to keep people in their seats. Almost every genre does it, if not every genre. Dan Akroyd speaking about the science of the Proton Pack comes to mind.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Waiting for

mellestad wrote:

Buffy is awesome, Sarah Michelle Gellar is an uber-babe and the only thing Joss Whedon ever did that surpassed it was our Lord and Savior, Firefly.

(Really though, Buffy is alright, like...5.5 out of 10.  Horrible?  Yea, but I still think it is fun.  I do love Firefly though.)

Poor Luminon.  I do agree though, that is one of the points I was trying to make in the beard thread he started.

Please don't compare Buffy and Firefly.

That is like comparing Johnny Mnemonic to Blade Runner.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:mellestad

ClockCat wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Please don't compare Buffy and Firefly.

That is like comparing Johnny Mnemonic to Blade Runner.

I didn't know you loved johnny Mnemonic so much!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I can lend you my Sailor

I can lend you my Sailor Moon DVDs next.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)