Prayer:Some questions

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Prayer:Some questions

The Christian health care topic induced an epiphany which could help me understand Hamby's arguments better.

So the simple questions I would like to ask:

Does Christianity actually teach that prayer will get you ANYTHING you want? I do mean ANYTHING, such as PS3s, ponies, ending world disasters etc....

Does it say that prayer is the BEST way to acheive said things?  Better than worldly efforts? World efforts would be trying to aquire said things by action.

I know he goes on about prayer in his arguments and I would like clarification of the above.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:You guys

latincanuck wrote:

You guys love to argue semantics eh? In the end Capt.'s question is really dependent on the "Christian" you ask, mainstream every day believer has one answer (and really are they a christian? Depends on who you ask again), a catholic (Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox, Roman, etc, etc, etc), Amish, Pentecostal, Methodist, Mormon, Reformed, etc, etc, etc, ask any one christian from different denominations and you could get so many different answers to your question Capt. So really, since the entire bible is up to interpretation (as the massive about of denominations is proof of), what do you think? your answer is as good as any other really. In the end, yes there are christians that truly believe that prayer is the only thing one has to do, just pray and god will take care of the rest. There are others that believe in prayer and action and others that believe in action over prayer.

Thats really the honest answer capt.

I'll second that.

Still, I think she was hoping for an unambiguous bible passage or some official doctrine on the matter.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Still, I

Anonymouse wrote:

Still, I think she was hoping for an unambiguous bible passage or some official doctrine on the matter.

Yeah, she asked for what Christianity teaches about the power of prayer, not what individuals believe. 

Unfortunately, we're not even sure what Christianity teaches. Most Christians think they're sure, but they also often disagree with each other. Many verses in the Bible are really ambiguous or contradict other verses, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Can't speak

Anonymouse wrote:

Can't speak for him, but maybe he wonders why they need faith-healing laws in some states in your country.

Uhm, cuz we have a country 300 millions people, and even if one individual of this 300 million endangered the life of her child by forgoing medical care for her child, thats enough to create a law. 

Quote:
Right, so the fundies you know do believe prayer is effective, but not on it's own ? Okay, but I think Cap wanted to know (I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong) if there are any bible passages supporting that view (of prayer on it's own not being effective).

"Prayer alone" doesn't even make sense. A person prays to be healed of his illness, he prays to be healed of his illness alone. I pray to get a job, i pray for the job alone. You pray for ends, not for the explicit means to them.

What you really mean, is not prayer alone, but that the answer to the prayer is limited to only a singular explicit mean. What you guys are harping about is not the prayer being answered, but the prayer being answered only in particular way. Chemo therapy, medication, by their sheer availbaility, and eventual healing of the cancer patient, is an answering of their prayer. The individual prayed to be healed, and he was healed. 

What you're claiming is that theist pray limiting god to answering those prayers by purely supernatural means, forbidding him from using natural ones--a notion you'd be hard price to get a single theist to promote. 

What you and others haven't gotten yet, is the difference between means and ends. Prayer is asking for an "end", not limiting the "means".

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Prayer is

theTwelve wrote:

Prayer is asking for an "end", not limiting the "means".

Except it is for all those people that think it is a "test of faith" that they are repeatedly told it is by their churches.

"God is testing us. It is his will our daughter die from the flu. It is a trial he set for us in his plan."

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Except it is

ClockCat wrote:

Except it is for all those people that think it is a "test of faith" that they are repeatedly told it is by their churches.

"God is testing us. It is his will our daughter die from the flu. It is a trial he set for us in his plan."

What the fuck are you referring to? Who are "all those people"? And what's the situation of their daughter. Is this some made up scenario?

Is it a scenario where the parents prior to the daughters death, forgo medical treatment that could have saved her, and say it's god will that she dies?

I'm guessing its a product of your imagination?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:latincanuck

double post

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:latincanuck

Anonymouse wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

You guys love to argue semantics eh? In the end Capt.'s question is really dependent on the "Christian" you ask, mainstream every day believer has one answer (and really are they a christian? Depends on who you ask again), a catholic (Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox, Roman, etc, etc, etc), Amish, Pentecostal, Methodist, Mormon, Reformed, etc, etc, etc, ask any one christian from different denominations and you could get so many different answers to your question Capt. So really, since the entire bible is up to interpretation (as the massive about of denominations is proof of), what do you think? your answer is as good as any other really. In the end, yes there are christians that truly believe that prayer is the only thing one has to do, just pray and god will take care of the rest. There are others that believe in prayer and action and others that believe in action over prayer.

Thats really the honest answer capt.

I'll second that.

Again each sect of christianity can use any passage from the bible to back up their religious dogma/views, it is a matter of interpretation and cherry picking really.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Uhm, cuz we

theTwelve wrote:
Uhm, cuz we have a country 300 millions people, and even if one individual of this 300 million endangered the life of her child by forgoing medical care for her child, thats enough to create a law.

Uhm, why does it have to be a woman ?

This is fascinating stuff, actually. Seems there even was (is ? ) a "faith-healing exemption" in one state.

As for figures, the only study I found so far is from a religious site, and it mentions 172 reported deaths of infants and children between 1975 and 1995 in 23 states.

I'll keep looking for more recent figures, cuz I'd like to know if it's gone up or down since then. (But I'll keep it out of this thread, no worries)

theTwelve wrote:

What you really mean, ....

What you're claiming is...

What you and others haven't gotten yet,...

You're reading someone's mind there, I'm sure , but it isn't mine.

Look, I could be mistaken, but I thought it was about this : "This is about what Christianity teaches, not what Christians do." , like Cap asked.

I'm pretty sure she'd like some bible verses or christian doctrine explaining what christianity teaches regarding her questions in the OP.

We already posted some.

Anyway, if you'd like to tell her again what's wrong with her question, just go ahead and tell her. No skin off my nose.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:As for

Anonymouse wrote:
As for figures, the only study I found so far is from a religious site, and it mentions 172 reported deaths of infants and children between 1975 and 1995 in 23 states. 

why dont you link the site

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:why dont you

theTwelve wrote:

why dont you link the site

Because you could have easily found it yourself if you googled the quote. But sure, I'll help. Here's the article where they got their facts :

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/101/4/625

Maybe this verse is what the belief in faith healing is based on:

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. {15} And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. {16} Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
- Source: James 5:14-16

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Anonymouse

theTwelve wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Can't speak for him, but maybe he wonders why they need faith-healing laws in some states in your country.

There are enough cases reported from various sources, from various investigators, especially within the USA alone, ie within a population of way less than 'billions', that a statement of 'a few among billions' is patently absurd.

Quote:

Quote:
Right, so the fundies you know do believe prayer is effective, but not on it's own ? Okay, but I think Cap wanted to know (I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong) if there are any bible passages supporting that view (of prayer on it's own not being effective).

"Prayer alone" doesn't even make sense. A person prays to be healed of his illness, he prays to be healed of his illness alone. I pray to get a job, i pray for the job alone. You pray for ends, not for the explicit means to them.

That is a stupid statement, even for you. 'Prayer alone' simply means they don't bother with, or specifically reject normal medical or other physical intervention, in the case of illness. What the hell is so difficult with that concept? We know it occurs, especially with illness, since many people, including Bill Maher, believe all sorts of nonsense about the 'Medical Establishment', or 'Big Pharma', etc.

I'm sure, of course you would reject the testimony of people like James Randi about the evils of Benny Hinn, where people believe so strongly in his 'power', which is obviously closely tied in with belief in the efficacy of prayer or other faith-based approaches. They either never get admitted as I mentioned before, or if they do, they may believe so strongly that they achieve some apparent 'cure' due to an intense placebo effect, and don't think they need to bother with medical treatment in future. Investigators have documented several such people dying not too long after of conditions which could have been addressed  medically.

Quote:

What you really mean, is not prayer alone, but that the answer to the prayer is limited to only a singular explicit mean. What you guys are harping about is not the prayer being answered, but the prayer being answered only in particular way. Chemo therapy, medication, by their sheer availbaility, and eventual healing of the cancer patient, is an answering of their prayer. The individual prayed to be healed, and he was healed. 

What you're claiming is that theist pray limiting god to answering those prayers by purely supernatural means, forbidding him from using natural ones--a notion you'd be hard price to get a single theist to promote. 

What you and others haven't gotten yet, is the difference between means and ends. Prayer is asking for an "end", not limiting the "means".

Prayer is asking for a result, and the psychology does often involve rejecting 'normal' means, especially in medical areas, whether you personally have encountered any such cases or not. It doesn't even require that such rejection of normal approaches be specifically be 'promoted'.

Your verbal obfuscation here cannot hide the basic facts.

You just refuse to accept anything indicating that there is a real problem here, even though it has been the subject of many private and public investigations, precisely because many people do forgo proper treatment in favor of prayer or 'laying on of hands', etc.,or at the very least delay proper treatment until it is too late, when placebo 'remission' is no longer sufficient to suppress the symptoms.

Just Google "Investigating faith healers" and do some reading.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
If all Capt. wants to know

If all Capt. wants to know is if Christianity in its purest form teaches that prayer is an appropriate tool, on its own, to solve a problem...

Of course it is.  The central doctrine teaches the idea that miracles are real, faith healing is real and magical thinking is real.  Saints and apostles used prayer and god to change the world around them.  When Moses wanted to cross the red sea it doesn't say he told his people to make boats, he prayed and God pulled a miracle out.  When the Israelites were wandering the desert, it doesn't say they dug wells are started farms, it says they prayed and got food and water straight from God.

Again, if that is the question, the answer is such a simple and clear 'yes' that there can be no debate.

If the question is: Do a majority of modern 'Christians' act like this?  No.  I would still argue that most modern Christians don't really have any concept of what their watered down religion is.

If the question is: Do a large number of modern Christians still hold to this idea?  Then it depends on what a 'large' number is, and how you ask the question.  If you define the question in the harshest most literal specific form, "Is Prayer alone more appropriate than medical care for treatment of disease?" then in America I would guess there would be tens of thousands who would say yes.  If you define the question a tad more liberally, "Is Prayer more important than secular activity to accomplish a goal?" then easily hundreds of thousands and possibly millions.  If you just ask a generic, "Is prayer highly important to accomplishing secular activity" then you would get tens of millions to say yes.

I would be interested to see what the responses would be in a less literate place like Africa...I imagine the numbers would be more skewed towards the former responses.  Statistically, education seems to be the enemy of fundamentalist theism.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:If all Capt.

mellestad wrote:

If all Capt. wants to know is if Christianity in its purest form teaches that prayer is an appropriate tool, on its own, to solve a problem...

Of course it is.  The central doctrine teaches the idea that miracles are real, faith healing is real and magical thinking is real.  Saints and apostles used prayer and god to change the world around them.  When Moses wanted to cross the red sea it doesn't say he told his people to make boats, he prayed and God pulled a miracle out.  When the Israelites were wandering the desert, it doesn't say they dug wells are started farms, it says they prayed and got food and water straight from God.

Again, if that is the question, the answer is such a simple and clear 'yes' that there can be no debate.

If the question is: Do a majority of modern 'Christians' act like this?  No.  I would still argue that most modern Christians don't really have any concept of what their watered down religion is.

If the question is: Do a large number of modern Christians still hold to this idea?  Then it depends on what a 'large' number is, and how you ask the question.  If you define the question in the harshest most literal specific form, "Is Prayer alone more appropriate than medical care for treatment of disease?" then in America I would guess there would be tens of thousands who would say yes.  If you define the question a tad more liberally, "Is Prayer more important than secular activity to accomplish a goal?" then easily hundreds of thousands and possibly millions.  If you just ask a generic, "Is prayer highly important to accomplishing secular activity" then you would get tens of millions to say yes.

I would be interested to see what the responses would be in a less literate place like Africa...I imagine the numbers would be more skewed towards the former responses.  Statistically, education seems to be the enemy of fundamentalist theism.

I think the better type of which denomination or type of chrsitian, those that follow the benny hinns of the world, I would say yes a large majority of them believe that prayer alone works for anything you ask. You can say even those large mega churches, many believe that prayer alone works, as was evident for many that bought into the hype that pray to god and you can get whatever you want, want the house pray to god (and many did get it with those sub-prime mortgages which anyone could get a house then), just pray to god and he will reward you, this was a big problem in the latin speaking community, as many did fall for the daft belief, never knowing that in some cases the churches were helping people get the mortgages, without telling the people they were getting involved, only just pray to god and god will make it happen. I have heard a lot of these cases from latin americans that left the US to come to Canada to find work.

So will the baptists, or catholics make the claim that prayer works alone? probably not, but will other denominations make that claim, yes they will. Just depends on the denomination.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:There are

BobSpence1 wrote:
There are enough cases reported from various sources, from various investigators, especially within the USA alone, ie within a population of way less than 'billions', that a statement of 'a few among billions' is patently absurd.

Well, you can break it down to, are these case a significant percentage of the fundies? Do their views express the views of fundies in general? Evangelical Christians make up about 60 million Americans, is the dominant view that pray is seen as mean to forgo medical care? The answer is no, and plainly obvious to even an moderate level of reflection.

Quote:
That is a stupid statement, even for you. 'Prayer alone' simply means they don't bother with, or specifically reject normal medical or other physical intervention, in the case of illness.

No, i understand what the individual implying here mean it as. But it's incorrect, and the statement alone doesn't clarify what they are trying to claim. When you pray you pray for ends, nothing controversial here, what the individuals here are implying is not prayer alone, by limitation of how that prayer is to be answered, by purely supernatural means. 

The fundie community will always pray to be healed when their sick, yet take medication along with this prayer, and see when they finally recovered as an answer to prayer. 

Now, historically this has been the view of those making supplications to God, whether for victory in war, or other fortunes in life. When the pagans made supplication to their god to favor their side in war, they didn't forgo preparation. They didn't sit on their ass believing, "fuck getting our men trained, and weapons made", relying solely on supernatural intervention for victory. This just has not been the view, and Judeo-Christianity view on prayer, has not differed from this. No where in scripture do you find verses advocating the forgoing of natural means to deal with issues in favor of prayer. None of scriptures paint individuals hey guys let fuck preparing for this war, and just pray instead for victory. And Judging that Christianity is the birth of most of or hospitals and medical care, speaks volumes contrary to "prayer alone". Judging evangelical organizations through out the world provide medical care, and assistance through out the world speaks volumes as well. 

What prayer, and such offering served, was a means to hand over the uncertainty, what's beyond a person hands, even the medication hands, to the Gods to favor in. This doesn't take any sort of apologist to understand this basic view of things, that is not even limited to theist. 

What the hell is so difficult with that concept? We know it occurs, especially with illness, since many people, including Bill Maher, believe all sorts of nonsense about the 'Medical Establishment', or 'Big Pharma', etc.

I'm sure, of course you would reject the testimony of people like James Randi about the evils of Benny Hinn, where people believe so strongly in his 'power', which is obviously closely tied in with belief in the efficacy of prayer or other faith-based approaches. They either never get admitted as I mentioned before, or if they do, they may believe so strongly that they achieve some apparent 'cure' due to an intense placebo effect, and don't think they need to bother with medical treatment in future. Investigators have documented several such people dying not too long after of conditions which could have been addressed  medically.

Quote:

Prayer is asking for a result, and the psychology does often involve rejecting 'normal' means, especially in medical areas,

Prayer rarely involves rejecting normal means. You claim it's often but I want you to quantity that, or else it comes as dopey as claiming that atheist often kill priest and nuns.

Quote:
You just refuse to accept anything indicating that there is a real problem here, even though it has been the subject of many private and public investigations, precisely because many people do forgo proper treatment in favor of prayer or 'laying on of hands', etc.,or at the very least delay proper treatment until it is too late, when placebo 'remission' is no longer sufficient to suppress the symptoms.

Notice, the concern of this thread, has been what the dominant view of prayer among theist are, and I spun that off to what the dominant view of fundies are. Do you understand this. It's sort of like if you claimed the majority of atheist do not promote killing preist and nuns, my use of Stalin, or Jacobins wouldn't refute that claim. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So will the baptists,

Quote:

So will the baptists, or catholics make the claim that prayer works alone? probably not, but will other denominations make that claim, yes they will. Just depends on the denomination.

There are still core tenents of Christianity that is common to all demoninations. I want to know if prayer is one of them and what it says

But anyway, no more anecdotes. Seriously.

The question isn't whether Christians forgo treatment for prayer, it's whether they SHOULD forgo treatment in favour of prayer IF they are follow Christianity.

It's not whether you know a Christians who says/does this or that, it's whether they SHOULD do this or that if they are following Christianity.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Quote:So

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

There are still core tenents of Christianity that is common to all demoninations. I want to know if prayer is one of them and what it says

The question isn't whether Christians forgo treatment for prayer, it's whether they SHOULD forgo treatment in favour of prayer IF they are follow Christianity.

It's not whether you know a Christians who says/does this or that, it's whether they SHOULD do this or that if they are following Christianity.

The only thing they seem to agree on, according to their own sites, is that they should pray, because the bible tells them to.

Promises are made in the bible about what prayer can make happen (if you believe) (http://www.religioustolerance.org/med_bibl.htm ) , but it doesn't explicitly state that if you want those things to happen you should only pray and not do anything else (although I'm not sure what other possible conclusion I should draw from some verses). But neither does it say anywhere that you have to combine prayer with worldly efforts if you want those things to happen.

Then again I haven't read the whole thing yet. Some people claim that this verse : 1 Timothy 5:23: "Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." , is proof that the bible says christians shouldn't rely on prayer alone.

Anyway, do let me know when you find these "core tenents of Christianity". Any luck on that christian forum ?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
What about christian cults

What about christian cults like alcoholics anonymous? They tell people that their drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means, and part of it is praying. Isn't that an example of christianity teaching people that prayer is a better solution, the best solution, and the only solution to their problems?

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:What about

Gauche wrote:

What about christian cults like alcoholics anonymous? They tell people that their drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means, and part of it is praying. Isn't that an example of Christianity teaching people that prayer is a better solution, the best solution, and the only solution to their problems?

Really? So alcoholics anonymous doesn't advocate keeping out of settings where the recoveries are pressured to drink, and not to have liquor in their houses etc..? They don't advocate having a sponsor to keep tabs on them, and etc...? They don't support and endorses these "natural" means to deal with drinking problems?

Can you support your claims, with what AA actually claims on their sites or other official statements they've given?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
They tell people that those

They tell people that those natural means alone are not sufficient to solve their problems. That's the first and second step of the 12 step program.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:They tell

Gauche wrote:

They tell people that those natural means alone are not sufficient to solve their problems. That's the first and second step of the 12 step program.

Ah yes, how  I love the moving of goal post. Here's what you originally claimed:  "They tell people that their drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means"

Well, if that's what AA advocates, than you'll have a whole lot of explaining to do, when the stats bare that AA results are equal to or greater than secular alternative organizations, at half the cost. Thats some effective supernatural means don't you?

The truth is, that AA doesn't refute my claim it supports mines, and refutes the others here who disagree. There are 12 steps program, one of which says the acceptance of a higher power for strength. And not what you interpreted as "drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means".

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:BobSpence1

theTwelve wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Well, you can break it down to, are these case a significant percentage of the fundies? Do their views express the views of fundies in general? Evangelical Christians make up about 60 million Americans, is the dominant view that pray is seen as mean to forgo medical care? The answer is no, and plainly obvious to even an moderate level of reflection.

That was not what I was arguing there - you were claiming that the numbers were negligible. I disagree with that, NOT that they are a majority.

Quote:

Quote:
That is a stupid statement, even for you. 'Prayer alone' simply means they don't bother with, or specifically reject normal medical or other physical intervention, in the case of illness.

No, i understand what the individual implying here mean it as. But it's incorrect, and the statement alone doesn't clarify what they are trying to claim. When you pray you pray for ends, nothing controversial here, what the individuals here are implying is not prayer alone, by limitation of how that prayer is to be answered, by purely supernatural means. 

The fundie community will always pray to be healed when their sick, yet take medication along with this prayer, and see when they finally recovered as an answer to prayer. 

Now, historically this has been the view of those making supplications to God, whether for victory in war, or other fortunes in life. When the pagans made supplication to their god to favor their side in war, they didn't forgo preparation. They didn't sit on their ass believing, "fuck getting our men trained, and weapons made", relying solely on supernatural intervention for victory. This just has not been the view, and Judeo-Christianity view on prayer, has not differed from this. No where in scripture do you find verses advocating the forgoing of natural means to deal with issues in favor of prayer. None of scriptures paint individuals hey guys let fuck preparing for this war, and just pray instead for victory. And Judging that Christianity is the birth of most of or hospitals and medical care, speaks volumes contrary to "prayer alone". Judging evangelical organizations through out the world provide medical care, and assistance through out the world speaks volumes as well. 

What prayer, and such offering served, was a means to hand over the uncertainty, what's beyond a person hands, even the medication hands, to the Gods to favor in. This doesn't take any sort of apologist to understand this basic view of things, that is not even limited to theist. 

Of course, if the prayer is of the nature of "let me be successful in my battle", then of course they still intend to battle.

If  it was "please God destroy my enemies", then it would be praying for divine action as an alternative to actually going into battle.

So of course it is reasonable to claim most will take the medicine or have the operation as well as.

That does not preclude that a significant number will not - that is what I am saying, and we are arguing numbers.

My argument does not assume that "prayer alone" is standard procedure for all believers, or for all but a fringe of really whacked out cults.

Quote:

Quote:
Prayer is asking for a result, and the psychology does often involve rejecting 'normal' means, especially in medical areas,

Prayer rarely involves rejecting normal means. You claim it's often but I want you to quantity that, or else it comes as dopey as claiming that atheist often kill priest and nuns.

Quote:

Notice, the concern of this thread, has been what the dominant view of prayer among theist are, and I spun that off to what the dominant view of fundies are. Do you understand this. It's sort of like if you claimed the majority of atheist do not promote killing preist and nuns, my use of Stalin, or Jacobins wouldn't refute that claim. 

I understand that the point of the thread is what is the dominant understanding of the nature of prayer among believers.

As part of this discussion, it was mentioned/claimed that there are those who pray as a substitute for actual action, in some circumstances, especially when they or their children have some affliction. The most obvious and widespread example of this is manifest in the recourse to faith healers, either instead of medical treatment or as a first resort rather than simply in addition to standard treatment. You then reacted by flatly denying such behavior was at all significant. I am trying to point out that that reaction ignored the actual reality of what was being addressed, that there are a significant number of cases where the belief in the effectiveness of appealing to divine intervention is strong enough to cause actual harm when it leads people to either delay or avoid effective medical intervention for serious afflictions.

To keep implying that I somehow claimed that using prayer instead of action applied to most believers under most circumstances is a massive straw-man, and you are still doing that in the above quote from your post.

It varies considerably from sect to sect and depending on the actual nature of the problem or desired result, so pointing out many examples where it doesn't even make sense to claim they are praying for divine intervention as an alternative to action does not address the issue that I raised.

What I am really pointing out by this digression is that the OP needs to consider that there is a quite a lot of variation in the nature of different prayers, and how different sects and individuals approach prayer in general. This includes cases where the belief in the efficacy of the appeal to God can lead to real harm, which hit one of your hot buttons.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I want

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I want to know if prayer is one of them and what it says

I wish I knew.

But, you agree that the Bible holds authority on what Christians should do? All "core tenets" of Christianity should be derived from the Bible; otherwise, they're worthless?

Or, is appealing to the majority good enough?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, the goal post is in the

theTwelve wrote:
Ah yes, how  I love the moving of goal post. Here's what you originally claimed:  "They tell people that their drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means"

No, the goal post is in the same place it started. The first and second steps of the 12 step program are saying that you cannot solve your drinking problem but god can. That's no different from telling people that their drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means.

Of course they have to tell people not to go to bars and things like that because that's how their drinking problem is actually solved. Everything has been prefaced with the idea that natural means couldn't help you until you pray and jesus swoops in and solves your problems. Which are steps 1, 5 and 6 respectively.

Quote:
Well, if that's what AA advocates, than you'll have a whole lot of explaining to do, when the stats bare that AA results are equal to or greater than secular alternative organizations, at half the cost. Thats some effective supernatural means don't you?

Whether or not AA is effective wasn't the question. The question was if it tells people that prayer is the best way to get what they want. In this case people are being told quite explicitly that sobriety is impossible unless they pray for it.

Quote:
The truth is, that AA doesn't refute my claim it supports mines, and refutes the others here who disagree. There are 12 steps program, one of which says the acceptance of a higher power for strength. And not what you interpreted as "drinking problems can only be solved through supernatural means".

I havent read your posts. I was asking the OP a question. What I'm saying is based on what's on the AA website http://www.aa.org. According to them sobriety is possible after you pray and god removes your character flaws.

H.P. Lovecraft

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Promises

Anonymouse wrote:

Promises are made in the bible about what prayer can make happen (if you believe) (http://www.religioustolerance.org/med_bibl.htm ) , but it doesn't explicitly state that if you want those things to happen you should only pray and not do anything else (although I'm not sure what other possible conclusion I should draw from some verses).

Well, drawing the conclusion you do would be entirely ignorant on your part. 

Quote:
But neither does it say anywhere that you have to combine prayer with worldly efforts if you want those things to happen.

You know why you don't find verses distinguishing secular efforts, for Godly efforts? Because prior to perhaps 50 or years, you don't have such distinctions. A theist who feeds the poor, is not an act void of God, but rather an act in which God acted through him.

All of us are familiar with the dinner prayer where the family gives thanks to God for the food in front of them, even though the food was made by the mother. No one is arguing the mom made it and not god, because the meaning of the prayer is gratefulness directed at the capacity to do so in the first place. 

So getting healed by natural means, by non-supernatural means, is not an act outside of God, or outside his will, or contrary to it, but a part of it as well. Since in the christian view, or an omnipotent creator, God gave us the material for medicines, and capacity to create treatments, and the opportunities that allow for their availability. 

No where does the bible support the waiting on supernatural means alone, or a disregard for preparation, or our god given resourcefulness. Paul says to his community, if you refuse to work you do not eat, so much for individuals who thought they could pray for food, and forgo working for it. And this is plainly evident in the practices of the dominant, and significant christian communities past and present. 

Modern medical care, hospitals, and etc.. have all been founded by Christianity, it was the churches that produced these facilities, that have only recently been taken over as secular facilities. No where in the history of Christianity is there a significant hostility towards medical care, or treatment (other than in cases where the morality of a treatment is in question), that's a fact. And it takes someone rather ignorant to argue otherwise. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:  No where

theTwelve wrote:

No where in the history of Christianity is there a significant hostility towards medical care, or treatment (other than in cases where the morality of a treatment is in question), that's a fact. And it takes someone rather ignorant to argue otherwise. 

Look-ee here.... medical hostility towards birthing mothers based upon the "The Curse of Eve" and which prevented any painkilling measures being administered to women during childbirth.  Even Queen Victoria was refused any pain killers during her births.

Check it out: http://www.typeamom.net/painful-birth-is-the-curse-of-eve.html

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is an example of a lot

Here is an example of a lot of hospitals being founded explicitly by non-religious institutions - it is in that Godless nation of the UK, so I know it doesn't count. But it does make interesting reading to realize that theTwelves's perspective on this is extremely selective/ignorant/biased...

I hope the link holds up.

It is from "Medicine in the making of modern Britain, 1700-1920, by Christopher Lawrence", on Google Books.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Quote:So

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

But anyway, no more anecdotes. Seriously.

I think your presumption that there are core tenants is incorrect.  Christianity is not that monolithic.  The only thing Christians have in common is that Jesus was a sacrifice, and the path to salvation is through him.  But even then you are making a statement that is more protestant than Catholic.

But you already know that, so I have to ask: What answer are you looking for here?  You know just as much about religion as most of the people on this board.  Are you just stirring the pot?  And you can't tell people not to give anecdotal evidence.  Modern Christianity is all about individual interpretation.  You can't require empirical reporting on an issue like this and expect anyone to respond.

Your new question is an unequivocal no.  I am not aware of any remotely mainstream interpretation that advocates people retreat to a cave to pray when they get a broken leg.

Again though, you knew that, so why ask?  What point are you trying to make?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Well,

theTwelve wrote:
Well, drawing the conclusion you do would be entirely ignorant on your part.

Could be, but since I don't believe, that doesn't really matter. Now someone who believes and draws that conclusion, yeah, I call those people ignorant too.

theTwelve wrote:
You know why you don't find verses distinguishing secular efforts, for Godly efforts? Because prior to perhaps 50 or years, you don't have such distinctions. A theist who feeds the poor, is not an act void of God, but rather an act in which God acted through him.

I am quite familiar with theists crediting god for, well, basically everything, including the positive effect of their and other people's worldly efforts. I really have no idea why you keep going on about that.

theTwelve wrote:
No where does the bible support the waiting on supernatural means alone, or a disregard for preparation, or our god given resourcefulness.

Okay, then what about that guy who turns the rain on and off with his prayers ?

theTwelve wrote:
Paul says to his community, if you refuse to work you do not eat, so much for individuals who thought they could pray for food, and forgo working for it.

Uhm, I believe the idea is you pray for miracles in times of extreme need ?

theTwelve wrote:
And this is plainly evident in the practices of the dominant, and significant christian communities past and present.

Sure, except for that segment of the christian community that believes in faith healing. Which is the bit I have a problem with. I really thought I mentioned that.

theTwelve wrote:
Modern medical care, hospitals, and etc.. have all been founded by Christianity, it was the churches that produced these facilities, that have only recently been taken over as secular facilities. No where in the history of Christianity is there a significant hostility towards medical care, or treatment (other than in cases where the morality of a treatment is in question), that's a fact. And it takes someone rather ignorant to argue otherwise. 

I don't know who you think you're arguing with, but it certainly isn't me. I merely mentioned I was going to enjoy telling a bunch of christians that they have their own religion wrong. From what you say here, I can only conclude that you agree with me, that christians who believe in faith healing have it wrong, so really, what are you even arguing about ?

Well, you can argue against "I know what you really mean" for as long as you like. You don't need me or anyone else for that.

But spare a thought for Cap's question, in it's latest incarnation.

Give her the answer she seeks. I'm sure it'll be good enough for her.

(Or if you don't like the question, just re-write it for her. I mean, you know what she really means, right ? )

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: Are you

mellestad wrote:

Are you just stirring the pot? 

You think she started this for the lulz ?

Considering the topic she claims inspired her, you may be right.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Teachings on prayer differ

Teachings on prayer differ significantly by denomination, and even within them.  Evangelicals, fundamentalists, and other biblical literalists take Jesus' words very seriously when he says a believer can pray to literally move mountains, and with a little faith, mountains will move.

There's a fun little caveat that most churches add, with the intent of cutting down on the PS3 requests.  They say that when a "True Christian" (TM) is in touch with the "True Will of God" (TM), his desires -- a.k.a. things that he will want to pray for -- will only be things that coincide with the True Will of God.  And of course, God doesn't want people to want selfish things like PS3s.  

The implication is that God only grants wishes that coincide with what he wanted to do anyway, which ought to make us wonder why we pray in the first place... but that's another story.

To get at the heart of your question, yes, many, many Christians are taught -- and firmly believe -- that their prayers have the power to change reality.  Some churches teach prayer as the first best way to get something done.  Others teach prayer as a last resort when our own methods fail.  Still others teach that prayer is what we do when we need a miracle.

The bottom line, though, is that to some degree or another, most American Christians probably do believe that prayer is an effective and real way to affect change in the universe.  They just differ on what they believe prayer is good for changing.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:But, you

butterbattle wrote:

But, you agree that the Bible holds authority on what Christians should do? All "core tenets" of Christianity should be derived from the Bible; otherwise, they're worthless?

I think it's the Bible. I am quite confident that ALL dominations of Christianity hold the Bible to be the word of God, or have an offical document that states the domination's core tenents [Mormons for example]

So if, for example, a Mormon says that "Mormanism teaches X" and it isn't in the offical doctorine, then no, it doesn't, it just means  "A Morman teaches X".

If a Christian says that Christianity teaches X, and X isn't in the Bible or in an offical domination doctirine, then it's "So and so who is a Christian teaches X"

Anyway, I did get some Bible verses, so those will have to do.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:But, you

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'll tell you the problem with your questions, and assumptions. You're not going to find much if any thing in the creedal statements of a denominations clarify for you the nature of prayer in regards to medical care. DO you understand why that is?

Because creedal statements like the Nicene creed, are composed in a context where those questions are relevant, they clarify things of concern, the define the position of the church in presence of conflicting views, or questions of the communities in which they are made. It's only when an issue is in question, or in conflict, that a church or a community of believers propose a creedal statement to address it.

Jesus is 100% man, and 100% God, is written in a context where this matter, where competing Christians sects held varying views, some denying Jesus' divinity, and others denying his humanity. 

The reason why you're not going to find a creedal statements, or any sort of official statement on the position of prayer and medical care, is because it's never been an issue for the early church, the present church, or any of the large denominations or sects of Christianity. There has never been a conflict between these parties about the nature of prayer, and the nature of medical care (this applies even to the Benny Hinn, faith healer crowds). 

After the First Council of Nicaea, the church ordered the construction of hospitals in every cathedral, and drove the unprecedented expansion of care, for the poor, the sick, widows, and strangers. This wasn't an endeavor the church took on from the pagan traditions of the time, but rather an endeavor unique to their own tradition and worldview. It wasn't securalism that gave manifestation to this endevour, but that took it on from the church begining around the 17th centuary, 

And what do you find totally absent in this endeavor of the church?--any sort of argument whatsoever about denying medical care, for the sake of prayer. No one was claiming "no hospitals shouldn't be built, all we need is more prayer. We don't need to tend to the sick, but just pray for their supernatural betterment." It's only if these sort of conflicts even existed, would the church form a creedal statement clarifying their position on the subject. 

The hospital building is not the sort of endeavor from the arrival of a worldview hostile to medical care, but rather the opposite, in a arrival of worldview that welcomes it as a religious mandate to tend to the poor and the sick. 

If you're looking for an answer to your question in creedal statement you're not going to find it, you'd have to find it in the practices of Christianity historically, and in the present, in the general body of Christianity, and in the varying but large denominations of them. Because the actual practices here reveal, the actual perspective of the church and it's followers in the question of prayer and medical care. 

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: Here is an

BobSpence1 wrote:

Here is an example of a lot of hospitals being founded explicitly by non-religious institutions - it is in that Godless nation of the UK, so I know it doesn't count. But it does make interesting reading to realize that theTwelves's perspective on this is extremely selective/ignorant/biased...

I hope the link holds up.

Smiling

Let's teach you something Spence: it's one thing for me to be wrong just by the cause of human error, perhaps i followed an erroneous source unknowingly or whatever else have you, and it's another thing  to be wrong because of being "extremely bias". 

The only way you could reasonably make that claim, is by witnessing how I handle actual counter evidence, when it's presented, such as my handling of your supposed counter claim. Let's see if you can still support that accusation still.

Surely, it would rather be an idiotic claim to say that no hospitals have been founded in our modern age by secular organizations, or government, or even by individuals who created hospitals because they seen them as profitable enterprises, rather than out of a religious conviction. 

Christianity, after the First Nicene Councils, embarked on the unprecedented endeavor of creating hospitals, in every cathedral town, to provide for the poor, the orphans, widows, and strangers. This wasn't an endeavor they inherited from pagan traditions, but an endeavor uniquely their own. It was only in the late 17th century, that Hospital began to created as secular, as part of secular endeavors. This endeavor wasn't unique to secularism, but rather inherited from their religious past. 

The role medical care and prayer, in the christian historical view has not been one of conflict, but rather medical care has been encouraged, and has been allowed to flourish the way it has historically, because of the endeavors of the church, and the perspective of caring for the disenfranchised. What you don't find in these historical endeavors is conflict by any christian sect opposing these efforts because of their views on prayer. 

Is there something here that you'd like to argue still? Are these statements a product of extreme bias on my part, or one's consistent with the facts?

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:No

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Look-ee here.... medical hostility towards birthing mothers based upon the "The Curse of Eve" and which prevented any painkilling measures being administered to women during childbirth.  Even Queen Victoria was refused any pain killers during her births.

Look-ee here in my post where  wrote: No where in the history of Christianity is there a significant hostility towards medical care, or treatment (other than in cases where the morality of a treatment is in question). 

The Curse of Eve has nothing to do with a supposed conflict between medical care, and the efficacy of prayer, it has nothing to do with prayer, or faith/supernatural/miraculous healing, or anything to do with the points being made and argued in this thread. 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote: BobSpence1

theTwelve wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Here is an example of a lot of hospitals being founded explicitly by non-religious institutions - it is in that Godless nation of the UK, so I know it doesn't count. But it does make interesting reading to realize that theTwelves's perspective on this is extremely selective/ignorant/biased...I hope the link holds up.
>SmilingLet's teach you something Spence: it's one thing for me to be wrong just by the cause of human error, perhaps i followed an erroneous source unknowingly or whatever else have you, and it's another thing to be wrong because of being "extremely bias".

The only way you could reasonably make that claim, is by witnessing how I handle actual counter evidence, when it's presented, such as my handling of your supposed counter claim. Let's see if you can still support that accusation still.

Surely, it would rather be an idiotic claim to say that no hospitals have been founded in our modern age by secular organizations, or government, or even by individuals who created hospitals because they seen them as profitable enterprises, rather than out of a religious conviction.

First, by separating those adjectives with slashes, I was implying that that one or more may apply, so I am not accusing you explicitly of bias.

Second, you did say earlier:

Quote:

Modern medical care, hospitals, and etc.. have all been founded by Christianity, it was the churches that produced these facilities, that have only recently been taken over as secular facilities.

which DOES seem to be awfully to close to claiming just that, so, by your own definition, you are idiotic. Thank you.

I was pointing out that this statement is quite explicitly incorrect. Get it? You made an clearly erroneous assertion. You make a lot of these, to my understanding, just not always as clearly mistaken. Hence my assertion there.

You appear to handle presentation of counter evidence by either ignoring it, misrepresenting or over-stating what we actually claim and refuting that ( 'straw-man' technique ), or simply presenting a lot of stuff, just as you have here, which is not really relevant, or simply does not refute my assertion.

I did not claim that religious institutions did not play a major part, maybe even perhaps close to exclusive, in the earliest establishment of what we would describe as hospitals, so all your blather is not to the point.

Thank you for proving my case.

EDIT:

You are a fine example of the inherent intellectual dishonesty of religious thought.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:That was

BobSpence1 wrote:

That was not what I was arguing there - you were claiming that the numbers were negligible. I disagree with that, NOT that they are a majority.

It behooves you to learn negligible in what regard, and significant in what regard as well. You claim that you're not arguing about the dominant view of fundies, when this is exactly what I've been arguing for sometime. So if you heard something where I implied that the numbers where negligible, it's in regard to effects on what the dominant or prevalent view among fundie theist are on prayer and medical treatment.

It's like if I were to say, the prevalent view among a population of 100 millions liberals is that gay marriage should be legalized, if you were to point out two or three cases of liberals that don't favor gay marriage, this wouldn't be a refutation, because the number would be a small minority view, a negligible number. 

Now, while I'm using the terms negligible and significant to a quantitative sense, about what those numbers say about the views of a larger group, it seems your using them in sheer emotional sense. 

Such as the death of just one innocent child in a war is a significant loss. That sort of argument is aesthetic one, not a scientific argument to be made, as the individual who proclaims that the death of just one innocent child in a war is an insignificant loss, is no less wrong, as you are no less right.

If I'm assuming incorrectly about your continual harping on about the term "significance" I suggest you clarify in what sense you're applying it, and if you're arguing with me about what I'm implying with my usage, or creating a whole other side argument all together.

Quote:
You then reacted by flatly denying such behavior was at all significant.

Yes, I did, and I suggest you think about in what regards I was implying the term "significant".

Quote:
What I am really pointing out by this digression is that the OP needs to consider that there is a quite a lot of variation in the nature of different prayers, and how different sects and individuals approach prayer in general. This includes cases where the belief in the efficacy of the appeal to God can lead to real harm, which hit one of your hot buttons. 

The OP's question ask what is the view of Christians, this sort of question doesn't imply what is the view of every single Christian, as it does about the dominant views of theist, the prevailing views, among their large sects. 

In the same sense that a person could ask, what is the Liberal view on the death penalty, or abortion, or gay marriage, is not asking what is the view of every single liberal (since there can be a minority of liberals who differ on these views), but the prevailing, and dominant view of the majority.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:You are a

BobSpence1 wrote:
You are a fine example of the inherent intellectual dishonesty of religious thought.

Really? How does that apply when a person is not religious? Perhaps you can explain to me how a non-religious person, could be a religious thinker? 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Second, you did say earlier: [...]

which DOES seem to be awfully to close to claiming just that, so, by your own definition, you are idiotic. Thank you.

You're right, I can see why my use of the term "facilities" can be interpreted the way you implied, I didn't mean the term literally, but rather in function less than actual brick and mortar. The churches and religious organizations founded the notions of a hospital, as an inclusive medical care institution, providing care for individuals of all walks of life, rather than for exclusively to royalty. These sort of "facilities" have only recently been taken on as secular. But I agree my word choice might have been problematic for some. And hence why I clarified my point, in the subsequent post. 

Quote:
or simply does not refute my assertion.

Notice, spence you've entered  a discussion about the dominant Christian view on prayer and medical care, all I've made are claims as to what those dominant views are, of mainline theism, of fundie theism, as well as historical theism. My use of the hospitals was to present what the historical perspective on medical care has been for Christianity, and to present that there has never been a conflict between medical care and prayer in Christianity, at any sort of level as to be representative of any large body of Christians both past and present. 

I'm going to perceive a poster such as yourself, arguing with me, to be arguing these claims of mine. Your assertions were placed in contrast to my claims, and views, now I ask you to clarify what your claims are in relation to mine? 

Now, I'm going to ask you do  you have any argument with the claims I've summarized here? If not, than you can go and find a little hole to crawl under, because you've wasted your time gabbing on about irrelevant nonsense. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve

theTwelve wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Look-ee here in my post where  wrote: No where in the history of Christianity is there a significant hostility towards medical care, or treatment (other than in cases where the morality of a treatment is in question). 

The Curse of Eve has nothing to do with a supposed conflict between medical care, and the efficacy of prayer, it has nothing to do with prayer, or faith/supernatural/miraculous healing, or anything to do with the points being made and argued in this thread. 

Did you even read the article ?  So childbirth has a moral aspect and denying painkillers to birthing mothers based upon biblical POV does not constitute Christian "hostility towards medical care." ?

OMG, you are one delusional Jesus Freak. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:There are still core

Quote:
There are still core tenents of Christianity that is common to all demoninations.

Sweetheart, no.  There are not.  There are over 15,000 denominations of Christianity, and neither you nor anyone else can name a single tenet that's common to all of them.  Not even the divinity of Jesus or the way to salvation or even the need for salvation!  There is not one common denominator to all of Christianity.  

Quote:
I want to know if prayer is one of them and what it says

No.  There is no universal dogma regarding prayer.  It's highly variable between denominations and even churches within denominations.  In America, the overwhelming majority of Christians believe that prayer is at least an effective tool for affecting change.  What they are allowed to pray for, and what they can hope to receive varies wildly.

Quote:

This is very, very simple.  It depends on which church they were indoctrinated into.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:This is

Hambydammit wrote:

This is very, very simple.  It depends on which church they were indoctrinated into.

Speaking of Christian indoctrination regarding the utility of prayer.  Parents in Wisconsin let their diabetic daughter die because of their religious beliefs.  

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534805,00.html

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

theTwelve wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Really? How does that apply when a person is not religious? Perhaps you can explain to me how a non-religious person, could be a religious thinker? 

A very good question - could you please explain just what aspects of religious thinking you do NOT agree with, that would make you a non-religious thinker?

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Second, you did say earlier: [...]

You're right, I can see why my use of the term "facilities" can be interpreted the way you implied, I didn't mean the term literally, but rather in function less than actual brick and mortar. The churches and religious organizations founded the notions of a hospital, as an inclusive medical care institution, providing care for individuals of all walks of life, rather than for exclusively to royalty. These sort of "facilities" have only recently been taken on as secular. But I agree my word choice might have been problematic for some. And hence why I clarified my point, in the subsequent post. 

Thank you for at least that much acknowledgement.

And by 'recent' I assume you mean 300 years ago - not quite what most people would think of as 'recent', but, sort of metaphorically acceptable in the context of a 2000 year old tradition. It still seems to me more of your tendency to minimize any points not quite consistent with your dominant theme.

Quote:

Quote:
or simply does not refute my assertion.

Notice, spence you've entered  a discussion about the dominant Christian view on prayer and medical care, all I've made are claims as to what those dominant views are, of mainline theism, of fundie theism, as well as historical theism. My use of the hospitals was to present what the historical perspective on medical care has been for Christianity, and to present that there has never been a conflict between medical care and prayer in Christianity, at any sort of level as to be representative of any large body of Christians both past and present. 

I'm going to perceive a poster such as yourself, arguing with me, to be arguing these claims of mine. Your assertions were placed in contrast to my claims, and views, now I ask you to clarify what your claims are in relation to mine? 

Now, I'm going to ask you do  you have any argument with the claims I've summarized here? If not, than you can go and find a little hole to crawl under, because you've wasted your time gabbing on about irrelevant nonsense. 

The argument is not necessarily with the validity of your explicit claims, but with your consistent tendency to ignore or minimize or 'straw-man' any claims not in line with your PoV, and spend much time emphasizing and re-stating your evidence, even when it is not necessarily all that relevant to the question. Also your ad hominen references to any counter claims, as in that 'gabbing on about irrelevant nonsense.' It may be tangential to the OP, but that sort of description is egregiously dismissive.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well, since this topic is

Well, since this topic is de-railed anyway, and I'm most likely not going to recieve any other Bible quotes, I might as well reveal the purpose of this topic.

It was about only applying logic halfway.

I saw the Christian Healthcare thread in which a video says that Christians, rather than do action to fix the healthcare syste, should just pray for it, that's what Christianity teaches right?

I've seen many atheist bloggers/heard many atheists IRL, say things such as "Well, Christian did X positive thing despite their beliefs, because they should have just prayed for X instead of took action!"

I was expecting Bible quotes saying this, as I don't like relying on anecdotes [X atheists/Christian says this]

Anyway, atheists saying this aren't applying the logic all the way.

For example, a Christians joins the Red Cross to end world suffering.

One can logically argue that if Christianity says that prayer is the best action, then the Christian is doing good despite his Christianity by taking action, since he should have just prayed for the end of suffering.

However, the logic shouldn't stop there.

It is equally logical to say that if Christianity says prayer is the best action, then the Christian who shot the abortion doctor to end abortion in this country, then he did so despite his Christianity by taking action, since he should have just prayed for the end of abortion.

Precisely the same logic, yet the atheists who accept the former, don't accept the latter.

That was what I was expecting.

But I got even more!

Look at Hamby's post.

Remember when him and I got into the fight and Francis Collins? Remember how he says Christians do X despite their Christianity?

Well, that's not really consistent with Christianity not having a common tenet is it? It's not consistent with churches withing the same denomination being different is it?

After all, how could they be doing an action despite X, if they were never taught X?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Well,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Well, since this topic is de-railed anyway, and I'm most likely not going to recieve any other Bible quotes, I might as well reveal the purpose of this topic.

It was about only applying logic halfway.

I saw the Christian Healthcare thread in which a video says that Christians, rather than do action to fix the healthcare syste, should just pray for it, that's what Christianity teaches right?

I've seen many atheist bloggers/heard many atheists IRL, say things such as "Well, Christian did X positive thing despite their beliefs, because they should have just prayed for X instead of took action!"

I was expecting Bible quotes saying this, as I don't like relying on anecdotes [X atheists/Christian says this]

Anyway, atheists saying this aren't applying the logic all the way.

One can logically argue that if Christianity says that prayer is the best action, then the Christian is doing good despite his Christianity by taking action, since he should have just prayed for the end of suffering.

However, the logic shouldn't stop there.

It is equally logical to say that if Christianity says prayer is the best action, then the Christian who shot the abortion doctor to end abortion in this country, then he did so despite his Christianity by taking action, since he should have just prayed for the end of abortion.

Precisely the same logic, yet the atheists who accept the former, don't accept the latter.

That was what I was expecting.

But I got even more!

Look at Hamby's post.

Remember when him and I got into the fight and Francis Collins? Remember how he says Christians do X despite their Christianity?

Well, that's not really consistent with Christianity not having a common tenet is it? It's not consistent with churches withing the same denomination being different is it?

After all, how could they be doing an action despite X, if they were never taught X?

If you phrase your question honestly I don't think you will get many atheist taking your bait, see my posts.

I don't think religion is 'special' when it comes to motivation.  The atheists who say religion never does anything good, and is responsible for everything evil are not the kinds of atheists you can have a discussion with anyway.

Maybe next time you should just make your point instead of trying to play games?

(Edited for clarity)

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Polled from my christian friends

These quotes are sent to me from 3 friends that believe prayer works, and their family members sent a few as well.

In no particular order

Mark 11:22-24 Have faith in God," Jesus answered. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it, and it will be yours

Jeremiah 29:11-12 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to proper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart

Psalms 86:5-7 Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

Matthew 7:7-8 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

John 14:13-14 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son ... If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it

Chronicles 7:14-15 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.

Mark 11:22-25 Have faith in God,' Jesus answered. 'I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, "Go, throw yourself into the sea," and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins

James 5:13-16 Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

John 5:14-15 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him

There you go Capt. from a few christians that truly believe in prayer over action, and the quotes they use to justify their believes, one is Chistadelphian, one an Evangelist the other a hardcore missionary and baptist.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I've

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
I don't like relying on anecdotes [X atheists/Christian says this]

Yeah. Right.

Btw, what conclusion do you draw from all those bible quotes, regarding what christianity teaches about prayer ?

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Did

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Did you even read the article ?  So childbirth has a moral aspect and denying painkillers to birthing mothers based upon biblical POV does not constitute Christian "hostility towards medical care." ?

Well, it may may not have a moral aspect to you, but for theist who believe painkillers are to be avoided because of the curse of eve, it is. Because it violates for these theist a sense of sacridity to God's act of punishment, it violates his supposed "creative" act, like vandilizing a builiding does, or painting over a person's painting, It's  seen as a moral issue for the same reasons, that creating laws or mandates contrary to the consitution can be seen as immoral for some, or breaking someone out of prison, saving someone who was about to be punished physically by the singaporean government, is seen as immoral for some. 

But it's fine, if you desire to still see it as a non-moral issue, we'd let be. My point still stands, and since your incapable of quoting me in full, I'll do so my self:

If it's not a "moral" issue, it's still not an issue of any concern to thread thread that deals with prayer and medical care. 

DO you see that much?

Quote:

OMG, you are one delusional Jesus Freak. 

And you're just one dumb ass atheist. 

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:theTwelve

BobSpence1 wrote:

A very good question - could you please explain just what aspects of religious thinking you do NOT agree with, that would make you a non-religious thinker?

I'm not religious, I'm not a believer. I'm not a religious thinker, for the same reason you're not a muslim thinker. 

Quote:
And by 'recent' I assume you mean 300 years ago - not quite what most people would think of as 'recent', but, sort of metaphorically acceptable in the context of a 2000 year old tradition. It still seems to me more of your tendency to minimize any points not quite consistent with your dominant theme.

Well, i meant as in the "modern age". 

Quote:
The argument is not necessarily with the validity of your explicit claims, but with your consistent tendency to ignore or minimize or 'straw-man' any claims not in line with your PoV, and spend much time emphasizing and re-stating your evidence, even when it is not necessarily all that relevant to the question. Also your ad hominen references to any counter claims, as in that 'gabbing on about irrelevant nonsense.' It may be tangential to the OP, but that sort of description is egregiously dismissive.

Can you give me some examples of claims made by my opponents that were not inline with my claims about the dominant view of theist, that I "ignored" or "minimized"? I'm responding to several individuals at a time, but I'd like to believe I been fair in replying to every individual that has argued against my clams of the dominant view of theist. 

My "gabbing on about irrelevant nonsense" is not directed at counter claims, but claims that have nothing to do with what I claimed at all, it's directed at individuals who desire to discuss oranges, when I'm talking about apples. 

Like the individual who attempts to counter with the "curse of eve", when we've been talking about the theist view on prayer, and faith healings in regards to medical care. Not other christian issues in regards to medical care. 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

theTwelve wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I'm not religious, I'm not a believer. I'm not a religious thinker, for the same reason you're not a muslim thinker. 

That is not answering my question.

So much of what you write, almost all in fact, seems to be far more aligned with religious thinking than any other explicitly non-religious/free-thinking/sceptical/atheistic line of thought or belief, that I am genuinely curious what specific common Christian beliefs, for example, do you explicitly reject, or at least not accept.

Quote:

Quote:

Can you give me some examples of claims made by my opponents that were not inline with my claims about the dominant view of theist, that I "ignored" or "minimized"? I'm responding to several individuals at a time, but I'd like to believe I been fair in replying to every individual that has argued against my clams of the dominant view of theist. 

My "gabbing on about irrelevant nonsense" is not directed at counter claims, but claims that have nothing to do with what I claimed at all, it's directed at individuals who desire to discuss oranges, when I'm talking about apples. 

Like the individual who attempts to counter with the "curse of eve", when we've been talking about the theist view on prayer, and faith healings in regards to medical care. Not other christian issues in regards to medical care. 

But those things are relevant to the topic of the attitude to prayer, since the belief in the efficacy of prayer as a substitute for action is most apparent when it comes to these issues. The reference to the 'curse of eve' is an offset to the denial that Christian attitudes to medical care has been affected negatively by their doctrines at times, as it continues to be with regard to the RC Church and condoms. There are connections from one issue to the next, and this is not a rigid debating environment.

You minimized the proportion of believers who are lead by their beliefs to ignore medical treatment in lieu of prayer. A "few" in "billions".

You keep going on about the mainstream churches attitudes, which does not adequately address the problem. You explicitly said it isn't really relevant if a 'few' people do make poor decision based on beliefs in divine intervention - "they are all welcome to make their own choices".

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:For example, a

Quote:

You're still missing a fundamental mistake you've been making the whole time we've been having this discussion.  CHRISTIANITY IS INTERNALLY CONTRADICTORY.  You're not taking this into account.  Furthermore, you're not allowing for compartmentalization by theists, nor for the acceptance of cognitive dissonance.

Most Christian denominations teach mutually contradictory dogma about prayer and actions.  On one Sunday, they teach that actions are useless in the eyes of god, and that god doesn't care what you do -- only what you believe.  The next Sunday, they teach that Christians are responsible for spreading the good news to all men, and that anyone who doesn't has the blood of all unbelievers on his hands.  The next Sunday, they teach that Christians have an obligation to pray for their enemies and turn the other cheek, while out of the other side of their mouth, proclaiming that Christians are called to action, and to bring a Godly kingdom to earth.

The point is that pretty much any Christian you talk to will have several belief compartments which are mutually contradictory, but allow them to justify either action or inaction, whichever makes the most sense, or is being demanded by the Preacher du Jour.

Quote:

Really, Alison?  Really?  

Pardon me, but what a crock of shit!  Try to get this through your thick skull:  Faith Based Belief Systems are dangerous because they allow ILLOGICAL and HARMFUL actions to be justified as logical and beneficial, precisely because there is no reality check!

You're suggesting that Christians always apply good critical thinking to their beliefs and dogmas, and the entire point I've been making to you for over a year is that RELIGION PREVENTS THEM FROM DOING SO.

Books about atheism

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:That is not

BobSpence1 wrote:

That is not answering my question.

You asked me what sort of religious thinking I don't agree with. And I answered I'm not religious, if a sort of thinking is exclusively religious I don't share in it. I don't believe in the supernatural, or God. So if that's not the sort of answer you looking for, than you should perhaps you should clarify what exactly you're asking. 

Quote:
So much of what you write, almost all in fact, seems to be far more aligned with religious thinking than any other explicitly non-religious/free-thinking/skeptical/atheistic line of thought or belief, that I am genuinely curious what specific common Christian beliefs, for example, do you explicitly reject, or at least not accept.

Bull shit, the only think I align with is reason and evidence, the only thing I don't share with atheist such as yourself is the rabid passions. When  I make a case, I have no emotional investment in my claims being right or wrong, anymore so than I do for Pluto not being a planet. I don't take "sides" because they coddle me, because I get to fit into some predefined atheist/secular/free-thinking/non-religious club. 

I'm an individual who spent a long time studying the history of thought, religion, past and present, particularly Christianity, since that was the religion I was brought up, but never made hostile too, or dewey eyed passionate towards. The Bible interest me for the same reason other narrative interest me, for the same reason I enjoy Greek mythology, there's nothing "christian" about the views I hold, anymore so than there's anything christian about my view that 1 +1 =2. 

I'm not a christian, I don't hold that Jesus Christ is the messiah, was resurrected or any of the sorts. Though I do believe Christianity has a long, and vivid history of thought, and is the most during form of human culture, and worldview, attractive to variety of individuals and thinkers, that generally make it more of a curiosity for me. It rather intrigues me that men like Dostoevsky, were so passionately drawn to it.

So when I encounter individuals with a rather dumbshit view of religion, a product of ignorance rather than learning, a product of hostile passions, than objectivity, a little bit of vile forms in my mouth, for the same reason an individual who has spent a great deal of time studying the sciences, is offended when he hears the rantings of creationist. 

Quote:
But those things are relevant to the topic of the attitude to prayer, since the belief in the efficacy of prayer as a substitute for action is most apparent when it comes to these issues.

Well, I have yet to see someone make the case for why the "curse of eve" is relevant to the topic of the attitude towards prayer. And how the efficacy of prayer as  a substitute for action is most apparent when it comes to an issue such as the "curse of eve". 

If you actually believe this Spence, I'd like to here you string it together. 

From my perch it looks like you trying to stitch together very frail strings, of a very poor argument to save face. But you're more than welcome to prove me wrong. 

Quote:
....as it continues to be with regard to the RC Church and condoms. There are connections from one issue to the next, and this is not a rigid debating environment. .

Really? As far I know, the attitude in opposition to condoms by the RCC, is to foster "a responsible and moral attitude towards sex". Nothing to do with the supernatural healing or at all with prayer, but some you feel there's some magical connection here between the two. Allow me to enjoy myself, please tell us the connection between RCC's position on condom (I suggest you actually quote them), and prayer as in relation to medical care. 

Quote:
You minimized the proportion of believers who are lead by their beliefs to ignore medical treatment in lieu of prayer. A "few" in "billions".

There are a little over two billion christians in the world, the OP asked about the dominant view of theist, I proposed what that dominant view is. And I claimed that individuals who differ from that view comprise only a very few, in relation to that two billion. Is there something here you'd like to argue about?

Quote:
You keep going on about the mainstream churches attitudes.

Not, just mainstream church attitude, but historical church attitudes, as well as evangelical and fundie attitudes too. 

Quote:
You explicitly said it isn't really relevant if a 'few' people do make poor decision based on beliefs in divine intervention - "they are all welcome to make their own choices".

Well, I see little compelling reason to see or change the laws from any way they are now. If you an adult seeking miracle elixers, than hey go and waste your money. If you desire to attend a Benny Hinn meeting, I don't give a fuck. If you get a kick out of certain delusions, I care very little. Surely, when the lives of children are put in danger, than I worry, and it seems from all the cases I've read the legal system has acted accordingly in handling them, charging the parents with neglect.