Hollywood embraces Roman Polanski

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hollywood embraces Roman Polanski

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/09/29/hollywood.embraces.polanski/

Basically he drugged and raped a 13 year old in 1977, but fled the country before the sentencing.

So question for discussion:

Was the arrest justified? After 32 years will it make a difference?

And for that matter, why did it take so long for Switzerland to arrest him? He fled to France, why didn't France do it and why did they let him in?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was always of the opinion

I was always of the opinion that punishment can only be effective if delivered swiftly, regardless of the crime. Otherwise it is merely vengeance, which constantly makes problems worse.

30 years is way too long.

Granted, molestation is a pretty horific crime to experience, but two wrongs never make a right. And if he's gone this long without reoffending, then jail time is simply going to make him more likely to participate in further illicit scenarios, and more likely to use violence in the process.

I'd give him an evaluation, and observe him, and have him make reparations, but imprisonment won't accomplish anything this late in the story.

I didn't read the article though (PS3 and CNN don't like each other), so there may be extenuating circumstances I'm not aware of.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i read an article about this

i read an article about this a few weeks ago, before switzerland arrested him.  it quoted the now grown-up girl as saying she forgave him a long time ago and that she doesn't believe he's a dangerous man nor likely to commit another offense like this.  she thinks he basically let his fame and power go to his head and made a bad decision.  it doesn't seem like she was scarred too terribly by the incident.  in fact, i believe she said that she doesn't think he should be imprisoned.

imo, where were her parents?  there's no way in hell i'd leave my barely teenage daughter alone with a male photographer for a modelling shoot, no matter how famous he is.  hell, i don't think i'd let my daughter go into modelling period, at least not at that young age.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

I'd say he needs to pay his debt to society, but being incarcerated doesn't seem like the way to do it if he isn't a repeat offender after this long.

It seems like he is a productive member of society. That is the whole point of CORRECTIONAL facilities anyway.

I think he should be forced to compensate both the family he assaulted, and the state for having to invest time and money tracking him.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, I am torn on

Honestly, I am torn on this one. I can see that there are valid points on both sides of the case.

Normally, it is not a big deal to let someone off the hook if they have not been caught after a number of years. To an extent, the logic could be that for most people, having to live in hiding for that time is something that probably ought to be taken into account. However, that doesn't really apply to someone who lived a very public life as an internationally famous person right out in the open all that time.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
And for that matter, why did it take so long for Switzerland to arrest him? He fled to France, why didn't France do it and why did they let him in?

Well, he lived in France all that time for the one major reason that France kept refusing to extradite him. So as long as he stayed where he was safe, he could be a famous millionaire and never pay for his crime. That is part of what rubs me the wrong way here. He plead guilty for crying out loud. He knew exactly what he had done and he never even bothered to try and hide.

As far as Switzerland goes, they have always been willing to extradite him. They tried to do so several times when he was in the country but he always managed to get out before they could scoop him up. Which brings up the question of just what was different this time.

Honestly, he had to go there to receive some type of award and he thought that after all the years, it would be safe enough to spend several days there. Well that just was not the case. When he stayed long enough to get scooped up, that is exactly what happened.

Then too, the argument for not arresting him seems to be an example of differential treatment. From what I am seeing on the news, his main support base is coming from the Hollywood creative community. Apparently, he is some type of media darling.

Against that, if he had been a catholic bishop who only got caught 30 years later, would anyone be speaking up for him to go free today? Or would there be a huge outcry to string him up for his crime?

Another argument seems to be that his victim has forgiven him.

I think that that too might not be valid. Realistically, she was a child at the time and she is now middle aged. Spending her entire adult life with the memory of what he did to her and seemingly no chance of ever seeing justice, who among us would not want to do whatever is needed to get on with life. So sure, perhaps she said that she forgave him many years ago.

However, now the situation may well be different. He has been caught and he is quite likely to go on trial, not for the original charge that he plead guilty to but for the full charges that he had plea bargained his way out of before fleeing and the additional charges arising from being a fugitive all this time.

Quite possibly, the old emotional wounds that have long ago become scarred over will noe become ripped open and she will have to revisit the trauma. I don't know if that will be the case but time will tell.

One thing for sure is that I don't envy the woman who now has to deal with this. Perhaps she will end up having to testify. More than likely, she has a family now and she may never have told them about this. Now she will have to explain why there is a sea of reporters parked on the street trying to grab them whenever they enter or leave home. Really, if you had been in her shoes, would you have told the man that you wanted to marry or the children that you had together? I think that if I had to deal with that, I would have passed on the matter long ago. Now this is coming back and it is going to be a big deal.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not defending the

I'm not defending the action, but it is possible that it is a resultant behavior of his wife's murder a few years previous? Death can make one quite erratic and he hasn't repeated since.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
He drugged and raped a

He drugged and raped a girl.  He finally gets his day in court.  People are actually upset about this?  That he'll face justice like everyone else who gets caught?  30 years ...maybe he won't go to jail, but he had best be made accountable for his actions.  Living his life safe in France from conviction doesn't smell to me like he's terribly sorry for what he did and if he was, why not face the courts?  He plead guilty, right?  But wait, why wasn't he alienated in 1977 for drugging and raping a girl?  His art's that good, eh?  Fuck.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
The articles I read mention

The articles I read mention an undisclosed settlement to the girl a long time ago, so I imagine she doesn't care to drag it on.

However, he fled to country to avoid arrest.  He needs to be punished, if for no other reason than demonstrate that fame and fortune are not perfect shields for wrong-doing.  Letting him go sends a bad message to common citizens about our justice system.

I don't see any reason to punish him heavily, but he should see the inside of a cell for a few months.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Against that, if he had

"Against that, if he had been a catholic bishop who only got caught 30 years later, would anyone be speaking up for him to go free today? Or would there be a huge outcry to string him up for his crime?"

I would retain my statement no matter the individual, provided the circumstances were the same.

"People are actually upset about this?"

I'm upset any time our justice systems ignore fact in favour of vengeance. They are supposed to be above that. There is no justice here.

" Letting him go sends a bad message to common citizens about our justice system."

Ridiculous. Show me one person with confidence in the system and I'll trot out a thousand with none. A 30 year old rape case is hardly going to sway the average person's opinion on the system.

A lot of people need to learn how to forgive and move on with life. Wasting millions in taxpayers money to incarcerate someone who has been a productive and law abiding citizen for the last 30 years is ridiculous to an extreme.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zymotic wrote:I'm not

Zymotic wrote:

I'm not defending the action, but it is possible that it is a resultant behavior of his wife's murder a few years previous? Death can make one quite erratic and he hasn't repeated since.

Bullshit. Someone loses a loved one every second of every day; doesn't mean they're justified in drugging and raping a teenager.

Knife in the Water is still a classic though.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOCK 'IM UP!!!!!!!!

I have two daughters. Lock him up 30 or 90 years later;  let the perverts of this world know,  without any doubt that they can keep watch over their shoulder untill they are buried!!!!!!!!!

Vastet;  or anyone else?   Would you like to spend 30+ years looking over your shoulder and then get nailed anyways?

There is no sympathey from me nor any other decent father with daughters.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes!!!!

jmm wrote:

Zymotic wrote:

Bullshit. Someone loses a loved one every second of every day; doesn't mean they're justified in drugging and raping a teenager.

Hear HEAR!!   jmm!!!   Do  you have daughters to protect also?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:jmm

Jeffrick wrote:

jmm wrote:

Zymotic wrote:

Hear HEAR!!   jmm!!!   Do  you have daughters to protect also?

Nope, just a conscience.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Nope, just a

jmm wrote:

Nope, just a conscience.

A what?

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
??????

The Doomed Soul wrote:

jmm wrote:

Nope, just a conscience.

A what?

Are you childless Doomed?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I haven't been interested

I haven't been interested enough to actually read about this much, but I am curious about something.  Don't most crimes have a statute of limitations?  Is child molestation a crime that doesn't have such a statute?  Does the fact that this has turned into something of an international incident change the way statutes of limitations work?

My only fully formed opinion on this whole thing is that I don't think he should be treated any differently than anyone else who committed the same crime 30 years ago.  If he's punished or forgiven simply because he's famous, that's wrong.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I

Hambydammit wrote:

I haven't been interested enough to actually read about this much, but I am curious about something.  Don't most crimes have a statute of limitations?  Is child molestation a crime that doesn't have such a statute?  Does the fact that this has turned into something of an international incident change the way statutes of limitations work?

it's not about statute of limitations because he was already convicted.  he just skipped sentencing.  legally, he's a fugitive.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: "People are

Vastet wrote:
"People are actually upset about this?" I'm upset any time our justice systems ignore fact in favour of vengeance. They are supposed to be above that. There is no justice here.
Justice has never been served.  This isn't vengeance and it isn't our justice system.  Polanski, as far as I can tell, has divorced himself from justice and did so the day he fled the US because he didn't want to be imprisoned.  He's maintained his distance exactly because he's still sought after for fleeing.  It certainly seems as though he feels guilty.  This isn't a justice system ignoring fact for vengeance.  I'm not sure that makes sense.  He admitted to drugging and raping the girl and his plea bargain lessened the six charges laid against him.  He admitted himself to psychiatric evaluation as per the plea agreement and then when he was faced with the possibility of imprisonment and deportation, he fled.  The fact that he got a plea bargain in the case shows a kind of special treatment despite the facts (his own testimony), though plea bargains are hardly rare or special.  He never answered the US justice system appropriately (as deemed by their justice system) for his initial crime and subsequent crime (fleeing).  It's not vengeance as I see it.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Vastet wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Vastet wrote:
"People are actually upset about this?" I'm upset any time our justice systems ignore fact in favour of vengeance. They are supposed to be above that. There is no justice here.
Justice has never been served.  This isn't vengeance and it isn't our justice system.  Polanski, as far as I can tell, has divorced himself from justice and did so the day he fled the US because he didn't want to be imprisoned.  He's maintained his distance exactly because he's still sought after for fleeing.  It certainly seems as though he feels guilty.  This isn't a justice system ignoring fact for vengeance.  I'm not sure that makes sense.  He admitted to drugging and raping the girl and his plea bargain lessened the six charges laid against him.  He admitted himself to psychiatric evaluation as per the plea agreement and then when he was faced with the possibility of imprisonment and deportation, he fled.  The fact that he got a plea bargain in the case shows a kind of special treatment despite the facts (his own testimony), though plea bargains are hardly rare or special.  He never answered the US justice system appropriately (as deemed by their justice system) for his initial crime and subsequent crime (fleeing).  It's not vengeance as I see it.

This is my point as well.  At this point, I don't care about the original crime, that seems resolved.  The fact is he was convicted and he ran.  You can't just let that go, no matter how long it has been.

That is what I mean by sending the wrong message...it makes it look like you can do whatever you want and never face yuor punishment if you are rich enough or famous enough.  I don't feel a need to put him away for 30 years, just send him to jail for a bit to make the point then let him go again.  Hell, get him to move back to the U.S. and force him to pay all the taxes I am sure he has been dodging while 'on the run'.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:it's not about

Quote:
it's not about statute of limitations because he was already convicted.  he just skipped sentencing.  legally, he's a fugitive.

AHHHH

That makes a lot more sense, then.  So the question becomes:  Would an average judge commute, reduce, or otherwise lessen or remove sentencing for someone else his age this long after the crime, assuming he has not been a repeat offender.

I have to admit, I can see arguments for both sides.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
im not sure that he should

im not sure that he should get off scott free for rape. 30 years so what, people must be held accountable for there actions. Jail is not about making sure people don't reoffend. It is about punishment and rightfully so. If it was about making people into non crimanals it seems a bad way to go about it don't you think? I don't care if the girl is over it, you do the crime you pay the time its that simple.  

and even if they don't want to punish him for that he most defenatly should be opunished for skiping the country.

Infact i would take it this far, you steal a car 70 years ago you still must still go to jail if found guilty. People must always be held accountable for there actions. However if the person has lived an honest life since the crime a reduced sentance may be in order but never totally taken away. 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:im not sure that

Tapey wrote:

im not sure that he should get off scott free for rape. 30 years so what, people must be held accountable for there actions. Jail is not about making sure people don't reoffend. It is about punishment and rightfully so. If it was about making people into non crimanals it seems a bad way to go about it don't you think? I don't care if the girl is over it, you do the crime you pay the time its that simple.  

and even if they don't want to punish him for that he most defenatly should be opunished for skiping the country.

Infact i would take it this far, you steal a car 70 years ago you still must still go to jail if found guilty. People must always be held accountable for there actions. However if the person has lived an honest life since the crime a reduced sentance may be in order but never totally taken away. 

Jail is (or should be) at least half about keeping people from re-offending, simply from fear of going back.  The other half is simply keeping disruptive elements from doing more harm.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: Jail is

mellestad wrote:

Jail is (or should be) at least half about keeping people from re-offending, simply from fear of going back.  The other half is simply keeping disruptive elements from doing more harm.

Dont get me wrong i have no problem with jails trying to reabilitate people but in my mind they should primarily be about punishment. Punishment can keep people from reoffending... but is giving people a TV punishment? Is giving them a gym punishment? In my opinion jails are to soft and the areas where they are not to soft like gangs are the wrong type of punishment as it renforces criminality. Bring manual labour back etc. Now the second part i do agree with keeping the disrupptive elements away from society but that seems irrelevant to this case.

But the most important thing there is is accountablitity.

All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:mellestad

Tapey wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Dont get me wrong i have no problem with jails trying to reabilitate people but in my mind they should primarily be about punishment. Punishment can keep people from reoffending... but is giving people a TV punishment? Is giving them a gym punishment? In my opinion jails are to soft and the areas where they are not to soft like gangs are the wrong type of punishment as it renforces criminality. Bring manual labour back etc. Now the second part i do agree with keeping the disrupptive elements away from society but that seems irrelevant to this case.

But the most important thing there is is accountablitity.

I dunno, prison needs to be results based, not feeling based.  If bringing back manual labor will lower the rate of reoffenders then do it.  If it will not help, then don't do it.  I would rather not base a system of justice around my desire to see people punished for what they do wrong, because that doesn't help anyone unless it leads to a positive outcome somehow.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
jus·ticeplay_w2("J0087600")

jus·ticeplay_w2("J0087600") (jsts)

n. 1. The quality of being just; fairness.2. a. The principle of moral rightness; equity.b. Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.3. a. The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.b. Law The administration and procedure of law.4. Conformity to truth, fact, or sound reason: The overcharged customer was angry, and with justice.5. Abbr. J. Law a. A judge.   b. A justice of the peace

is it fair to punish those that do wrong? is it moraly right to punish those that do wrong? I would have to say yes to both of those. reoffending rates is differant to justice, positive outcomes are diferant to justice. Lets face it hard work never killed anyone, imo it never harmed anyone either. What i advocate is justice, maybe a little harsh in some peoples opinions (but how can you even measure that?) but  its not like im advocating feeding their genitalia to goats, that would be feelings based.

and to tie this to the thread

justice must be delivered to Roman Polanski, he commited a crime, those that commit crimes must be punished, no feelings involved.

All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey

Tapey wrote:

jus·ticeplay_w2("J0087600") (jsts)

n. 1. The quality of being just; fairness.2. a. The principle of moral rightness; equity.b. Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.3. a. The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.b. Law The administration and procedure of law.4. Conformity to truth, fact, or sound reason: The overcharged customer was angry, and with justice.5. Abbr. J. Law a. A judge.   b. A justice of the peace

is it fair to punish those that do wrong? is it moraly right to punish those that do wrong? I would have to say yes to both of those. reoffending rates is differant to justice, positive outcomes are diferant to justice. Lets face it hard work never killed anyone, imo it never harmed anyone either. What i advocate is justice, maybe a little harsh in some peoples opinions (but how can you even measure that?) but  its not like im advocating feeding their genitalia to goats, that would be feelings based.

and to tie this to the thread

justice must be delivered to Roman Polanski, he commited a crime, those that commit crimes must be punished, no feelings involved.

If a system of justice does not show a positive impact on society, then I guess I would reject the idea that it is useful or needed.  I am not saying punishment is not useful, indeed it is.  I just think that you can't say justice and punishment are useful for their own sake without any metrics to gauge effectiveness.  

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
and i reject that, but first

and i reject that, but first let me say this yes in most cases positive outcomes are what we should look for but here is a example as to why its not the only things to consider here.

there are 6 people in hospital, 1 is in for a routine checkup and the other 5 are dieing because of organ failure. each one has a separate organ failing. they all have the same blood type. Should the docter kill the one in for a routine checkup and harvest his organs to save 5 lives? it produces a good outcome 5 for the price of one, its a good deal. im going to assume you think the doctor shouldn't do this.. why not? this should show you why positive outcomes are not all that matters. If i were to answer the question i would say brcause it is unjust. the guy in for a routine check up didn't desterve it.

now don't take this as me saying justice must be put before positive outcomes, but it does show it has intrinsic worth. if justice calls for punishment so be it.

All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:and i reject

Tapey wrote:

and i reject that, but first let me say this yes in most cases positive outcomes are what we should look for but here is a example as to why its not the only things to consider here.

there are 6 people in hospital, 1 is in for a routine checkup and the other 5 are dieing because of organ failure. each one has a separate organ failing. they all have the same blood type. Should the docter kill the one in for a routine checkup and harvest his organs to save 5 lives? it produces a good outcome 5 for the price of one, its a good deal. im going to assume you think the doctor shouldn't do this.. why not? this should show you why positive outcomes are not all that matters. If i were to answer the question i would say brcause it is unjust. the guy in for a routine check up didn't desterve it.

now don't take this as me saying justice must be put before positive outcomes, but it does show it has intrinsic worth. if justice calls for punishment so be it.

No, but only because the long term ramifications of that behavior are destructive for such a unique scenario.  No-one wants to live in a society where they could be subject to random organ 'donation'.  If such an event happened on a large, regular scale, I would have a hard time *not* killing one person in five to save the majority.

I don't see that we have anything to argue about though, I get your point and I agree.  At some level you need punishment simply because no-one wants to live in a society where crimes are not punished.  But I think that is a limit of what we can do, not a limit on what we *should* do.  If we could 'fix' criminals with some process that guaranteed they would never re-offend then I would see no reason for simple punishment.  Punishment is simply a necessity because we often have no alternative, or at least no cost effective alternative.

Thanks for the discussion Smiling

lokipro
lokipro's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Tapey

mellestad wrote:

Tapey wrote:

While I agree that we should look at reducing recidivism, the fact is that jail is a place that we house people who break the law.  The discussion of keeping people from re-offending comes into play with our justice system and how what programs/facilities we place within the jail. We can discuss the flawed justice system we have, we can discuss the positive/negative impact of our justice system but there is no question on what a jail is for.

proofreader
User is offlineOffline
Polanski broke the law, pled

Polanski broke the law, pled guilty to reduced charges, and fled the country when it seemed he would face jail time. He managed to exploit France's legal system to avoid extradition for over thirty years. And some think he should not be prosecuted now that he's been caught for several reasons.

Because he didn't re-offend. How do you know? He isn't going to advertise if he did and most sexual offenders don't stop until they are caught.

Because of his great film work. Good deeds cannot take the place of punishment. They can only make a case for leniency. Except film work isn't a good deed unless it is done for philanthropic reasons. Polanski made his films for money.

Because he'd gone so long without being captured. Is there some statute of limitations for criminals whereby they can hide for so many years, then find their crimes are forgiven? If Bin Laden can remain free till 2031, is 9/11 then OK?

TPaine

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

I have two daughters. Lock him up 30 or 90 years later;  let the perverts of this world know,  without any doubt that they can keep watch over their shoulder untill they are buried!!!!!!!!!

Vastet;  or anyone else?   Would you like to spend 30+ years looking over your shoulder and then get nailed anyways?

There is no sympathey from me nor any other decent father with daughters.

Ahd his kid will look for revenge on you, and the cycle of stupidity continues. And people wonder why the middle East and Africa are such a mess.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Justice has never been

"Justice has never been served."

And it never will be apparently.

" This isn't vengeance and it isn't ourjustice system."

It is vengeance and the system is close enough to ours that my comment doesn't fog the issue.

"Polanski, as far as I can tell, has divorced himself from justice and did so the day he fled the US because he didn't want to be imprisoned."

And anyone who leaves the jurisdiction of a state is no longer subject to its laws or judgements.

"He's maintained his distance exactly because he's still sought after for fleeing."

So he's a refugee.

"It certainly seems as though he feels guilty."

Irrelevant.

"This isn't a justice system ignoring fact for vengeance.  I'm not sure that makes sense."

Yes it is. You and others are just emotionally attached to the crime, ironically putting you in the worst possible position you could take to give judgements of your own.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"He admitted to drugging and

"He admitted to drugging and raping the girl and his plea bargain lessened the six charges laid against him.  He admitted himself to psychiatric evaluation as per the plea agreement and then when he was faced with the possibility of imprisonment and deportation, he fled."

Deportation? So he wasn't even a citizen? This just gets dumber by the moment. He deported and exiled himself, story should have ended there.

"He never answered the US justice system appropriately (as deemed by their justice system) for his initial crime and subsequent crime (fleeing).  It's not vengeance as I see it."

You will not ever convince me that fleeing the corrupt, vengeful, and crime increasing system of the US is a bad thing. There are thousands of American refugees here in Canada. He got away, they had no business spending all that money to chase him. Unless he was planning attacks on US soil perhaps.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet would your opinion be

Vastet would your opinion be the same if he had killed someone?

To me it seems silly that just because someone can escape for a while that it no longer matters what they did. He must be held accountable as if he commited his crimes yesterday, timespan is irrelavant. This is not some kids mistake that deserves a scolding .

All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"He admitted to

Vastet wrote:
"He admitted to drugging and raping the girl and his plea bargain lessened the six charges laid against him.  He admitted himself to psychiatric evaluation as per the plea agreement and then when he was faced with the possibility of imprisonment and deportation, he fled." Deportation? So he wasn't even a citizen? This just gets dumber by the moment. He deported and exiled himself, story should have ended there. "He never answered the US justice system appropriately (as deemed by their justice system) for his initial crime and subsequent crime (fleeing).  It's not vengeance as I see it." You will not ever convince me that fleeing the corrupt, vengeful, and crime increasing system of the US is a bad thing. There are thousands of American refugees here in Canada. He got away, they had no business spending all that money to chase him. Unless he was planning attacks on US soil perhaps.

So are you claiming that he was unfairly prosecuted, or that he did not commit a crime?  It isn't like he can say, "dude, I didn't know she was 13".  He broke a law common to most western nations, and he ran to avoid facing the punishment that society deems to be fair.

I just don't see any justification to leave him alone.  In your world you can do anything you want, then just skip out of the country to avoid any repercussion?  That isn't a society I want to live in.  I have no emotional attachment to this case in the slightest, like I said, I don't give a crap about what he did originally...and if he would have served his time in the beginning that would have been the end of it.

I don't understand your rabid defense of him, he has done nothing to merit clemency for fleeing.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

I don't understand how you people can think law in any way in our country seeks to punish people for criminal behavior.

Prisons are CORRECTIONAL facilities, designed to REHABILITATE people to be productive members of society. Not to punish them for crimes.

Capital punishment never has, and never will deter people. That isn't the goal of our legal system. It is to take people that obviously have problems following society's rules, and fix them.

It is failing largely on that, because in the United States over half the people in prison are there for drug-related offenses. I really don't see how most of these nonviolent offenders hurt society, and it prevents rehabilitation of people that NEED it by overcrowding.

Does this badge say "punishment center"? 

JasperAvi
User is offlineOffline
It depends on one's view of

It depends on one's view of the nature of "punishment". Is punishment a means to prevent particular behaviors and/or rehabilitate one of actions we deem to be inappropriate? Then I suppose it's now pointless to extradite someone and lock them up.

However, if your opinion is similar in nature to that of my own, that is, that vengeance is absolutely appropriate, grab the mother fucker and lock his ass up.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Raping a 13 year old is a

Raping a 13 year old is a heinous crime, and he did flee the country before he could be sentenced, so legally, the obvious thing to do would be to lock him up as long as he would be locked up if he had raped this girl yesterday. As far as I know, crimes don't have expiration dates and need to be accounted for (at least for the most part) to maintain order in society. Also, I don't have kids yet, but if this happened to one of my kids, I would probably insist that the perpetrator be locked up for life. 

On the other hand, assuming:

- the man regrets what he did.

- he has never done it again.

- he is now a productive member of society.

- the girl has forgiven him and doesn't think he should go to jail.

Considering these premises, imprisoning him almost seems cruel and a waste of time and money.

However, if he truly knew that what he did was wrong, why did he evade arrest for so long? Maybe the terrifying thought of being in jail for many years simply overshadowed the remorse that he felt?

I'm not quite sure how to resolve this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: I don't

ClockCat wrote:

I don't understand how you people can think law in any way in our country seeks to punish people for criminal behavior.

Puting a whole lot of crimanals together sure seems like an attempt to correct their behaviour....

ClockCat wrote:

Prisons are CORRECTIONAL facilities, designed to REHABILITATE people to be productive members of society. Not to punish them for crimes.

And how does one do this? Certainly not by puting them in prison, you do it by improving the environments that create crimanals not by puting crimanals together, creating an even better breeding ground for criminality. 

ClockCat wrote:

Capital punishment never has, and never will deter people. That isn't the goal of our legal system. It is to take people that obviously have problems following society's rules, and fix them.

ANd puting them in jail does this how?

ClockCat wrote:

It is failing largely on that, because in the United States over half the people in prison are there for drug-related offenses. I really don't see how most of these nonviolent offenders hurt society, and it prevents rehabilitation of people that NEED it by overcrowding.

If non violent crime does hurt society why is it illegal? Why is fraud illegal? Im not going to argue about drug related offences as there is something there unless you are bringing drugs into a country or selling to kids etc. 

ClockCat wrote:

Does this badge say "punishment center"? 

besides the name what does it say? what about jail is corrective? did you know in south africa a large majority of the people who have been let out of prison go straight back in.... im whiling ti bet it is the same in most places around the world. jail is not about correcting behaviour it never has been. What is it about locking people in cells with other crimanals (who no doubt are great influences) helps people become better people? absolutly nothing. The only reason it might help is because it is punishment and some people do learn from punishment... not all though.

In name only is it about correcting behaviour, the actual pratice is just punishment and i agree with that. Crimanals deserve to be punished. that doesn't mean i don't think they shouldn't try rehabilitate people but I think that should come after prison while still separated from the public and they are only released when it is felt they are no longer a danger to the public.

Oh and if is about correcting behaviour why are their life sentances? seems a silly way to make someone a productive member of society...

All animals are equal.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE Corrections

The term "corrections" became popular during the 70's as I understand it. For the same reasons that garbage men became sanitation engineers, stewardesses became flight attendants and jail guards became corrections officers. An attempt to use language to lend an air of professionalism or whatever.

America did put some effort into seeing if rehabilitation would work. It didn't. As far as I know there are no corrections facilities anywhere that put any legitimate effort into rehabilitating their "customers". You can wail and gnash your teeth about the inhumanity of such a situation but it doesn't change the reality that you are not going to get an adult that doesn't want to fit into a law abiding niche in society to do so. Corrections facilities exist to confine/exclude people who have been convicted of not wanting to live within society, playing by societies rules, for a term that varies based on the severity of their behavior or deeds. Many corrections facilities do provide educational, career and behavior modification programs for those inmates desiring to take advantage of them.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know that the thread has

I know that the thread has moved on passed this, but this still pisses me off:

jmm wrote:

Zymotic wrote:

Did I say he was justified? No, I think I said:

Zymotic wrote:

I'm not defending the action,

So, maybe what I was saying was that

Quote:
I'm not defending the action,
but providing a context in which to view his crime, without defending his action. Did I mention I wasn't defending his action?

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Vastet would

Tapey wrote:

Yes. Tracking him down costs millions of taxpayer dollars, extraditing him costs millions more, trying him costs millions more, and imprisoning him isn't much cheaper. All for one man who isn't any threat at all to the US or its citizens while across the ocean. If he comes to you, by all means lock him up. But if he left the jurisdiction, everyone is better off.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"So are you claiming that he

"So are you claiming that he was unfairly prosecuted, or that he did not commit a crime?"

Neither. I'm saying that there's no justification or justice in spending tens of millions of dollars to track down and try someone 30 years after the crime. It's a disgusting waste of time and money, and all it is capable of accomplishing is vengeance, as well as teaching him to be a better criminal.
I'm NOT defending him at all. If someone shot him in the head I'd not shed a tear. I'm simply pointing out the consequences and facts, devoid of emotional appeal. The fact is that there is no justice here. Only revenge.

Regarding Tapey's last post, there are actually a shitstorm of rehabilitation programmes in prison. Yes, the system is broken and needs a lot of work to really max out the efficiency of them, but there are lots of people who lead productive and legal lives after jail. Obviously your system and ours are quite different. I don't know that rehab is even a goal in Africa.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Tapey

Vastet wrote:
Tapey wrote:
Yes. Tracking him down costs millions of taxpayer dollars, extraditing him costs millions more, trying him costs millions more, and imprisoning him isn't much cheaper. All for one man who isn't any threat at all to the US or its citizens while across the ocean. If he comes to you, by all means lock him up. But if he left the jurisdiction, everyone is better off.

In some ways I do agree with you, but overall i don't. It probably comes from living in a countryu with a lot of corruption here people who have been convicited of corruption are now in the government executive, the minsiters (minister of education etc.) .  It just sends the wrong message not prosicuting him. It says harm a citizen of this country and then leave we don't care. I for one would rather spend the money and get the guy back. Doing otherwise just shows a lack of accountablility. People deserve to face the consiquences of there actions and somthing as trivial as money should not hold back justice... expessially when you have enough money to fight a war.

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Yes, the

Vastet wrote:
Yes, the system is broken and needs a lot of work to really max out the efficiency of them, but there are lots of people who lead productive and legal lives after jail. Obviously your system and ours are quite different. I don't know that rehab is even a goal in Africa.

here is the problem we face, in jail the people have TV, food, a gym etc . outside they have nothing... where would you go? There lives are better inside jail than outside. Rehab isn't going to do anything if they want to be in jail and live the easy life (in comparasion to life outside prison) we do try rehabilitate people but ya, if people lives are better in prison than outside there is no hope. The only choice I see is either make the outside better than the inside witch is a huge task and will take time. But in the mean time i thing we have to make the inside worse than the outside. Make the prisons harder to live comftably in. Take away the TV, bring manual labour back, take away the drugs and porn they have. etc. Maybe that isn't needed in america but I believe it is what is needed here.

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Then why would you want to

Then why would you want to send people to these cushy prisons with tv's as a punishment? Your reasons conflict with each other. I sympathise with wanting revenge, it's natural. But it has no place in the justice system. If you want revenge, then take it. Don't look to the government and police to dish it out. That brings too many side effects in the long run.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

I just want to point out that some countries use deportation as a primary form of dealing with crime.

I agree with Vastet that we should of just said "You can't come back" and left it at that. 

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Then why would

Vastet wrote:
Then why would you want to send people to these cushy prisons with tv's as a punishment? Your reasons conflict with each other. I sympathise with wanting revenge, it's natural. But it has no place in the justice system. If you want revenge, then take it. Don't look to the government and police to dish it out. That brings too many side effects in the long run.

Im saying the TVs must go, that is what i think is wrong with prison etc. There is not enough punishment. It is not about revenge. It is about facing the consiquences of your actions. These are agreed apon results of the persons actions, agreed apon before the crime has been commited as it is the law, that is not revenge. If it helps think about it as the person doing it to themselves, it is the natural result of there actions. I agree no one should be glad when even the worst person goes to jail as then that would be revenge. But it has to be if you commit a crime there are consiquences, the justice system and all partiesd involved should take no pleasure from it but it is something that has to be done. Prison is how we as a society feel it is proper to deal with people who break the law. I say punishment. you say rehab im guessing? Where is the incentive to not commit crimes in rehab?

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: I just want

ClockCat wrote:

I just want to point out that some countries use deportation as a primary form of dealing with crime.

I agree with Vastet that we should of just said "You can't come back" and left it at that. 

My own country is one of them, and you deport them as they are in the country illegally. Illegal immagrants commit a lot of the crime, In district 9 the Nigerians are not there randomly, the nigerians have control of alot of the illegal activities in Durban where i live. after they are deported the problem is they cross back into the country the next day. you cannot deport a citizen of your own country.

lesson at the end of the day, rape is ok if you avoid the police. To wrongs make a right in this case

All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:ClockCat

Tapey wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

My own country is one of them, and you deport them as they are in the country illegally. Illegal immagrants commit a lot of the crime, In district 9 the Nigerians are not there randomly, the nigerians have control of alot of the illegal activities in Durban where i live. after they are deported the problem is they cross back into the country the next day. you cannot deport a citizen of your own country.

lesson at the end of the day, rape is ok if you avoid the police. To wrongs make a right in this case

Isn't that the lesson regardless? I don't see how that changes with any crime under any situation.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Tapey

ClockCat wrote:

Tapey wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Isn't that the lesson regardless? I don't see how that changes with any crime under any situation.

I think the fact that the US justice system is aware of who commited the act and is able(?) to get him back into the country is relevant here. It is not the same in other situations as they cannot find the people or don't know who did it, here they do.

All animals are equal.